Sign in to follow this  
bravo 6

Destructive Buildings

The question is,if the suprise is not related to Armed Assault,then what could it be that would cause the community to be 'suprised'?

Something relating to Game2? A competition to win a visit and tour of the BIS offices? A new BIS website? Announcement that BIS has been bought out by EA? tounge2.gif

Maybe an anouncement that they made their own "STEAM" network thingy, to avoid publishers all the way.

pistols.gif EA

The question is,if the suprise is not related to Armed Assault,then what could it be that would cause the community to be 'suprised'?

Something relating to Game2? A competition to win a visit and tour of the BIS offices? A new BIS website? Announcement that BIS has been bought out by EA? tounge2.gif

Bought out by EA? Argh no don't you joke like that crazy_o.gif

ArmA is canceled, hurray biggrin_o.gif

Anyway, anything related to Codemasters (OFP, OFP:R, OFP:E) cannot be released anymore by BIS only so it restricts the way of surprises...

Maybe a MEC 2006... (with ArmA demo? no, not related to ArmA I forgot banghead.gif )

Well... OFP 1.99 or some kind of... I don't know.

I haven't read through this topic, but I read some article about the game, based on the E3 demo, and the article said that buildings in ArmA crumbles just like buildings do in OFP. Yes, much have changed since the E3 demo, and much will still change, but I don't think BIS will add this to ArmA. They've never been close to saying that we might expect this in ArmA, and I don't think they'll use time on adding it now. And if they were going to add it to ArmA, they would probably have let us know since it would be positive for the games publisity...

I haven't read through this topic, but I read some article about the game, based on the E3 demo, and the article said that buildings in ArmA crumbles just like buildings do in OFP. Yes, much have changed since the E3 demo, and much will still change, but I don't think BIS will add this to ArmA. They've never been close to saying that we might expect this in ArmA, and I don't think they'll use time on adding it now. And if they were going to add it to ArmA, they would probably have let us know since it would be positive for the games publisity...

Best post in this topic smile_o.gif

(Slightly offtopic, anyone remembers the BF2 developers announcing that their worlds would be 'fully destructable', but they didnt add it for the reason that it 'distracted the players too much'? rofl.gif )

(Slightly offtopic, anyone remembers the BF2 developers announcing that their worlds would be 'fully destructable', but they didnt add it for the reason that it 'distracted the players too much'? rofl.gif )

Actually more on-topic that you probably thought.

It's occured to me before now that Game 2 style destructable buildings may be a bad thing on a public server. There are many who would consider it fun to demolish buildings for no good reason. Thus 'distracting' themselves and others from the point of the game.

Maybe if there were plenty of civilian NPCs around the towns and in the buildings with some form of penalties for killing civilians (court marshal, War crimes trial anyone?) it might work more realistically. Most modern armies try to avoid destroying civilian buildings and killing civilians (USA + Israel being obvious exceptions).

i really hope that the destroyed buildings wont look the same like in OFP...all these invisible walls were horror!

the best system of destroyable buildings and area has Soldiers-HerosOfWW2...its not a fps-game, but the way how its done is perfect.

but i think such a system is way to heavy for a fps-game, dont mention the multiplayer...

lets hope that we will see a fully destructable area in Game2 in 2 or 3 years...

Actually more on-topic that you probably thought.

It's occured to me before now that Game 2 style destructable buildings may be a bad thing on a public server. There are many who would consider it fun to demolish buildings for no good reason. Thus 'distracting' themselves and others from the point of the game.

Mneh, after a while it would get boring, and it could always be a server-side on/off setting ofcourse. The BF2 developers probably took it out because of technical limits but gave their community some lame excuse wink_o.gif

Oh well, origami destruction is still better then no destruction (like most games), but it should be limited, so you wont have those polygons that are on the other side of the street and you get stuck in invisible pieces that seem to be in a random area within 2.5m of the destroyed building crazy_o.gif

uh... why don't they just use the most classic and resource-friendly possibily and just simply build a destroyed building model which will replace every destruced building? Its looks far better than origami...

If they include it I doubt they would have it where you get stuck. In terms of becomming "distracted" by destroying a building,that is mostly the players thought,wether or not somebody smart decides to use a building as cover and not give away his/her position as opposed to a fool who destroyed it because they think its "fun",thus blowing their cover and distracting themself,ya can only pamper the gamers for so long,if you pamper them too much,they become idiots.

theres a big difference between destrucable buildings and destructable world. i would like to see this from the black game, but slight less dramatic and not map wide smile_o.gif.

click preview and select colateral damage.

here

uh... why don't they just use the most classic and resource-friendly possibily and just simply build a destroyed building model which will replace every destruced building? Its looks far better than origami...

That would be the most crappy solution I can think of TBH. I would rather have buildings that wouldn't get destroyed at all than having a large house turning into a ruined house in less than a second. It would look shitty and false and would ruin the game. Besides that would create a lot of other problems. To be able to do that you would have to enable removing buildings, which would probably be used for cheating etc. And IIRC it was possible to move/delete objects that was on the map in early versions of OFP, but it was removed in a patch.

Seriously, do you really mean it would look better that a large block was hit by a tank shell, and suddenly it's a pile of scrap?

I honestly don't understand how anyone imagines that ArmA will contain destructable building? There's not been anything, ever, that's pointed in that direction. Every report from ArmA that says anything about destruction of buildings state that it's mainly still the way it's in OFP. I mean, the E3 demo doesn't have anything that resembles destuctable buildings, and looking at reports from the E3 demo, BIS still got loooooooooooots of things to fix. E3 demo is supposed to be about 75% done, and I don't think it would be close to 75% done if BIS would have to implement destrucable buildings from scratch, since they've obviously not got anything close to it in the demo. Besides, just think a bit logical. I do think it would be extremly stupid to model all the buildings etc, and then when you've modelled shitloads of buildings, then start making them all destructable. It's like running over the whole pitch in a football match, going past every opposite player, just to go back for the ball that you left on your own half...

Well, there's plenty of videos of the bridge that has "destruction animation" (it falls down in little pieces when a blackhawk shoots it with rockets). So maybe that's why some people think that ArmA will have destructible buildings.

That's one of the reasons everyone thinks Arma will have destructable buildings, they're wrong of course. One animated bridge doesn't mean any other objects will also be animated. Think of the work and time involved for a start, then consider how it would actually work. I've already pointed out in another thread ~3 weeks back that one animation for a building would look wrong - shoot the top floor of a tower and it collapses from the bottom etc.

Lets remember there is a good reason for allowing bridges to be destroyed and they are easier to animate as they are simple structures. There are no adjacent buildings and no need to deal with people inside them.

[speculation]

In the animation is it shown if the pieces fall through the ground? Or do they rest on top of it? If they fall through, then it probably is scripted. If they rest, than it is probably dynamic (or the animation was designed around that particular ground geometry crazy_o.gif ).

Something to think about.

[/speculation]

I don't think you will see the pieces fall, I expect just a big cloud of smoke to disguise the creation a big pile of debris.

I think this is a scene from game 2, there where more scenes from game 2, when the soldier does his exercises^^

But you can't really tell if the exercising soldier scene is ArmA or Game2 even if the model looks like some early game2 shots. It would make sense that the same models and animations work in both engines or at least are easily portable to one another.

And it's not in the same scene as the destructible building.

Guest Ti0n3r
But you can't really tell if the exercising soldier scene is ArmA or Game2

It's from Game2, I am 100% sure of it.

The bridge is from ArmA, it's in a clip made by some russians who got their hands on an early arma build.

I´m not sure from where did this video came from, but looks like game2.

Anyway ArmA last vids and screens look so similar to Game2 preview screens that I´m confused at this point.