Sign in to follow this  
westy159

Americas Army, A Threat Or Rival To Armed Assault?

All i know is that Americas Army is a miltary simulator. Sounds quite like BIS' games right? Could still game be a rival or threat to Armed Assault or is it quite different?

Americas Army is more like a more realistic Counterstrike than a competition to Armed Assault.

at cqb there is no competition, americas army wins hands down. in all the other fields ,mass war ,air war etc etc, ArmA will win hands down.

so in essence ,nah its no competition threat at all.

Guest Ti0n3r

The only rivals would be various OFP mods like FDF & WGL5.

I think this topic worthless...

Read this review, and try the game, if you like.

The AA is a upgraded, some way realistic Counter-Strike or SWAT like game. No really freedom of any kind what you do, small maps, (mostly) fast games.

Personally i wont like the AA, just one reason of the many: you can only play as an US ARMY soldier... B-O-R-I-N-G...

correct, americas army and Armed Assault has very little in common. Americasarmy has no vechicles(so far), is exlusive made for MP and has tiny fast maps made for CS gaming.

On the other hand its free and has great soldier animations. smile_o.gif

call me what ever you want but i always played OFP, and i will untill its sucessor (Armed Assault) comes out.

Only then i will play other game named Armed Assault.

Only rival i see in future for Armed Assault is VBS2 and Game 2 from BIS.

Maybe you can try VBS1/VBS2, if you can afford.

OFP never had rival, IMO.

So i think the same about Armed Assault and GAME 2.

Even if they have something in common Americas Army is neither a threat nor rival to Armed Assault!

period.

the upcoming patches for AA feature terrain that is VERY wide open and large with several driveable vehicles. IMO, it could be very similar to arma.

We could have a better debate when Armed Assault and America's Army 3.0 have been released.

America's Army 3.0 uses Unreal engine 3 and I bet it'll have larger maps than current version of America's Army. Also graphics and vehicle physics and overall physics will be great.

ArmA on the other hand will offer 400kmË› enviroment with 100+ player multiplaying experience with almost any kind of missions (from CTI and Co-op to America's Army kind of objective based missions).

So instead of trying to make this a versus situation I encourage everyone to buy ArmA and to download AA, it is free you know. America's Army has solid CQB while ArmA (if it is like OFP) will offer better overall massive warzone experience.

the upcoming patches for AA feature terrain that is VERY wide open and large with several driveable vehicles. IMO, it could be very similar to arma.

If AA goes from the tiny maps it got to 400 square km maps, then...bravo...

Unless they do, AA is still no threat or rival for ArmA... whistle.gif

even if they have bigger maps they will never be as good as Armed Assault. nener.gif

i quote again "AA is still no threat or rival for ArmA... whistle.gif"

Americas Army, Counter Strike, Battlefield 2, etc etc...

All the same crap. Just games for kids. There´s not any other tactical simulator like OFP or the upcoming ArmA available right now.

That´s because I think this kind of topics are pointless.

P.S; Americas Army is called so because you play as an US Soldier of the US Army. Should that be even pointed? icon_rolleyes.gif

even if they have bigger maps they will never be as good as Armed Assault.  nener.gif

i quote again "AA is still no threat or rival for ArmA... whistle.gif"

Never said it would be a threat to ArmA if it got that big maps nener.gif

Quote[/b] ]Americas Army, A Threat Or Rival To Armed Assault?

Eh.....

No. rofl.gif

americas army will never be anywhere near ofp or arma, after a few rounds or aa it becomes very boring, funny when the guns jam though confused_o.gif

Americas Army is small and limited, its sad how such a small MP game with not much going on has some of the worst netcode i ever experienced.

Unreal powered games look pretty, everything else about them is crap tounge2.gif . That game makes me feel trapped in a laggy arena, no thanks.

Its definetly no threat nor rival to Arma smile_o.gif .

Can you mod or make addons to America's Army? How about missions? Does it have a single player campaign? I don't see how it could be compared to ArmA really because the two are so different game play wise.

AA isn't threat even to original OFP (no mods installed). Like it has been said it's arenamatch... not truly missions, but gunfights something -150 meter ranges.

It is just marketing-/PR-tool when OFPs engine has been issued as a trainingtool for this same faction... so...

I don't think that AA3 will compel against ArmA. Not without seriour modifications: developement tools for community (what community?).

AA3 will stay as kids game... As ArmA wil be for RAW men.

AA isn't threat even to original OFP (no mods installed). Like it has been said it's arenamatch... not truly missions, but gunfights something -150 meter ranges.

Vanilla OFP's weapons are way too accurate compared to America's Army. I think AA has more "realistic" feel to the guns than vanilla OFP. This will be fixed according to this interview:

Simulated recoil system: No two guns are the same, so firing them shouldn't feel the same; Armed Assault features fully simulated weapon recoil.

America's Army has mission objectives but on most maps the rounds (usually 5 to 10 mins) end because a team has eliminated the other team, not because the objectives have been completed.

Of course OFP has DM, TDM and such gameplay modes but it has a lot more (basically unlimited modes). That is why I love OFP, you can have so much variety in one game that you keep on playing it for 5 years. biggrin_o.gifinlove.gif

I hope ArmA will improve the CQB because that is the real downside of OFP. Improved collision system with buildings is already a big plus compared to OFP and hopefully the AI can perform better in CQB. Plus the leaning feature will be added that I really missed.

Well I've never played AA but I've heard that no matter if you are on the supposed US side or on the supposed OpFor side you're only dealing with US hardware (weapons). So, if they will make the same in terms of vehicles... I mean, that alone is bullshit. At least in CS and BF they had the decency of portraying Opfor weapons and vehicles... so... conclusion: OFP will ALWAYS RULE!!! biggrin_o.gif

Don't knock it till you've tried it. Americas Army is tons more realistic then OFP, that's for sure. The game is being supervised by a Colonel.

Weapons have been made under supervision of the the people who actually use them. So the weapon sounds, recoil, reloading, etc. is way ahead of OFP and from what i've seen of ArmA, AA beats it too.

And if you lag then try to find a good server, i have nothing fancy and the game runs good on servers that are near to me.

BTW, Medics are also far more realistic then in OFP (insta heal? oh ok...). If you get wounded you'll bleed to death and medics can only stop the bleeding.

Grenades are also a lot more useable. Smoke and flashbangs are useful and normal nades have a long prepare animation then a quick throw anitmation so you can actually use them (try using hand grenades in OFP, i can't find no use for them - in open terrain hand grenades are useless and in OFP you can't toss it normally)

If you work as a team on a big map you'll see the game beats current OFP handsdown. Try the map SF Extraction and you'll see just how hard urban combat can be.

Ofcourse AA is more current and has more money into it (although the USArmy has a strict budget too) so it's only natural that it's better. It's better when it comes to weapons and combat of that i'm sure. Sure in OFP you need to do long walks and all that stuff, but when it comes to combat it's dull and simple.

And don't play on Official Army Servers... those aren't usable, try to find a good team and then you'll see the depth of AA (ramboing in a public server isn't what the game is all about).