Sign in to follow this  
twisted

weapon handling

very few fps games accurately model the actual experience of firing a weapon.

by this i mean simulating the recoil, weapon sway, bipods, supported weapon control {prone vs standing}, rate of fire, weapons weight and its effect on recoil and much more.

ofp is pretty arcade in that respect. recoil was based on calibre bullet only and not the weapon. you can easily stand and shoot a pkm from iron sights in ofp. quite accurately while rocking and rolling. crazy_o.gif

most other games are worse than ofp. except perhaps ghost recon advanced war fighter. that quite good except for the dispersion.

BF2 project reality mod is doing some good things but only beginning really.

looking at the demos on simhq it looks like the weapon simulation has not really evolved much. even though placebo said realistic weapon handling in an interview so i am looking forward to seeing more.

so i ask how much realism is good for games. especially ArmA. what would be too much? are there are things that absolutley need to be added on to what ofp has?

smile_o.gif

One thing that fills me with hope is that there will be separated mag and weapon config. It will probably mean that recoil will be part of an weapon data, not magazine. It would allow for example that you can stick AK magazine into RPK and the recoil behaviour will change according to the weapon (and appearance as much, no more not-interchangeable warheads for RPGs7 with and without the scope).

I suggest you check out WGL or FDF to see what OFP is capable of when the configs are written with realism in mind. It would be great if stock ArmA would behave like either of the above mentioned, but if it doesn't we can always modify it.

EDIT: Non-ArmA related, you should also check out Red Orchestra. They do an excellent job with realistic weapon handling.

I suggest you check out WGL or FDF to see what OFP is capable of when the configs are written with realism in mind.  It would be great if stock ArmA would behave like either of the above mentioned, but if it doesn't we can always modify it.

I like FDF, and I love WGL. IMHO, WGL's weapons handling is the best by far. However there are certain things that they can't do because of the engine limitations. The example with firing a PKM, while standing, is a good one. This happens because there seems to be no way of having controllable recoil while prone and uncontrollable while standing with the current configuration rules. This is not a big deal for rifles, but it is for medium machine guns. This is not something that the mod makers can change; it is an engine level limitation that only BIS can fix.

Peace,

DreDay

BIS already said that we will get realistic recoil and weapon handling a number of times, and they are probably still working on it. And such a things is hard to see from vids/pics, so just wait untill the demo wink_o.gif  smile_o.gif

You can make more realistic recoile in OFP if you want its harder and you have too reshearch but try too click on the picture in my signatureand download the M4 addon it has a "realistic" recoile in that the recoile motion is based on the Bolt carrier group movement from the weapon is fired til it has chambered a new round, which time is arcording too the weapons RPM so you wil notice a little difference when firing a CQBR, an M4 or a M4sd.

STGN

Im impressed how often I see Red Orchestra mentioned in this forum, as it is a very unpopular game. I played it today and there are only 2 dedicated servers left because a retail version was released over Steam. It costs 24$ and is downloadable via Steam.

I havent played the retail ver yet (no credit card >< )

but the original mod for years, and its the best combat experience i had. The verhicle driving is extremely enjoyable, thus complex and realistic (panzerfaust projectiles bounce off the armor depending on impact angle, you can shoot drivers through vision slots etc etc etc)

I read that in the retail version it is possible to lean, dive and lay any weapon onto any object for support.

It was possible in the old ver to mount a MG on any object...not limited to special "sandbag" objects or so...a free system which is great. RO features no crosshair, but 3D iron sights and the Hip position, you move the weapon over the screen like in ofp when not in iron sights mode.

There is nearly no HUD, (listen to how heavy your avatar is breathing, REMEMBER which firing mode u sett earlier XD ) and a 1 hit, maximum 2 (dep. on calibre) to kill health system.

The only problem I see on RO is that since it uses the unreal engine, it doesnt have the same wide open areas as OFP.

But for realism freaks like you (we!wink_o.gif are its surely recommendable.

Damn this sounds like an ad...well no, I just wanted to give you a tip wink_o.gif

That game is heavily great.

Greetings (waiting for AA all the time)

-Sturm

I enjoy the realism of OFP vs games like BF1942, but I don't really need or necessarily want every little thing it the whole game to be as real as possible. I still want it to be a game at the end of the day that I can go and play and have fun. I know peoples definition of funny can vary, but I am hoping for something that was as realistic as OFP and just as fun. I'm sure I won't be dissapointed.

And Sturmwolf, I believe people are refering to Armed Assault as ArmA so as not to be confused with America's Army, which is commonly referenced as AA.

On the one hand the game should be more realistic (Community), but on the other hand BIS wants to make ArmA more to be a mainstream game... I think there is an ambivalence. Look at the the animation when the player wants to take a weapon from a fallen soldier - i think it isn´t a kind of realistic anim. But what can the Community do? Should they say: "Hey BIS, we want more realistic stuff to forbear from arcade stuff like other fps!" and what would they say??? maybe:" Mhhh......no"? I don't know how far BIS forms the game like the communtiy want it to be.

So, good evening guys (and ladies?):)

telejunky

Look at the the animation when the player wants to take a weapon from a fallen soldier - i think it isn´t a kind of realistic anim.

More realistic then running over the weapon and having it suddenly appear in your hands wink_o.gif

Yeah.. I think if arma goes to be more arcade then the community want, mods like WGL5 or something like that will be released to make ArmA as a "Ultimate Weapon & Infantry Sim" icon_rolleyes.gif

Now, i really have to go to bed, huh? biggrin_o.gif Tomorrow is even school ^^

But i miss in OFP the tactical reloading. So if you have fired 14 rounds and you reload, in ofp you got only 30 new rounds, but in real (or in Ravenshield?) there is one round in the gun barrel left, so you should get 31 rounds because of the one round left wink_o.gif

telejunky good evening.. germany won .. too much beer biggrin_o.gif

yeah. suppose the important thing is the built in or added ability to be more realistic. atm ofp weapons really need more options to make them potentially more real. small things like recoil changing based on stance (firing when standing is harder to control than when prone. especially machineguns)

no other game really does it well and arma should. pistols.gif

Im impressed how often I see Red Orchestra mentioned in this forum, as it is a very unpopular game. I played it today and there are only 2 dedicated servers left because a retail version was released over Steam. It costs 24$ and is downloadable via Steam.

I havent played the retail ver yet (no credit card >< )

but the original mod for years, and its the best combat experience i had. The verhicle driving is extremely enjoyable, thus complex and realistic (panzerfaust projectiles bounce off the armor depending on impact angle, you can shoot drivers through vision slots etc etc etc)

I read that in the retail version it is possible to lean, dive and lay any weapon onto any object for support.

It was possible in the old ver to mount a MG on any object...not limited to special "sandbag" objects or so...a free system which is great. RO features no crosshair, but 3D iron sights and the Hip position, you move the weapon over the screen like in ofp when not in iron sights mode.

There is nearly no HUD, (listen to how heavy your avatar is breathing, REMEMBER which firing mode u sett earlier XD ) and a 1 hit, maximum 2 (dep. on calibre) to kill health system.

The only problem I see on RO is that since it uses the unreal engine, it doesnt have the same wide open areas as OFP.

But for realism freaks like you (we!wink_o.gif are its surely recommendable.

Damn this sounds like an ad...well no, I just wanted to give you a tip wink_o.gif

That game is heavily great.

Greetings (waiting for AA all the time)

-Sturm

Yep, a great game (when it works for me), although it isn't very smooth for me. You can try to get the Ostfront '41-'45 from your local game store though, bought mine in a DVD case (no downloading). The gun support feature is one of the most useful aspects of it.

Sorry for OT.