Sign in to follow this  
.kju

WarGames League v.5 (WGL 5) Full Release

This is great mod! biggrin_o.gif

Some things are bad though.

Things like AT teams have machine guns instead of AT weapons.

And when you throw smoke grenades,then some objects behind the smoke,(like forests) become invisible.Sounds stupid,doesn't it?

Try to throw a smoke grenade towards a forest thats about 200m away from you and look what happens.

ya where probally using AT ammo bearer you probally had AT ammo in yer rucksake and the machine gun is used for covering fire notworthy.gif

mmmm..something strange, in the mission Defender in the WGL CWC campaign the AI doesn't lay the mines , he just walk from one side of the road to another , is it intended ? do i have to lay all the mines myself ?

huh.gif

I've made a 14 minute video of MP coop play on the Zeus Server from yesterday.  It is available at Google Videos.  I plan on uploading a higher resolution version on our home forums, but that may take some time.

The mission was for Zinef to command a full Ranger platoon, heavy weapons section, and artillery using the Chain of Command Command Engine and Unified Artillery.  We were to enter and control a valley on Gaia island.  We inserted using two CH-47s.  Once on the ground, we began moving in a platoon on-line formation down the gentle valley.  After a few minutes, we spotted some infantry moving near the village of John.  Within a few seconds they spotted us and engaged at fairly long range.  Jinef called in artillery and was able to nuetralize most of them.  It seems that the destruction of that squad prompted the enemy command to send in armor to investigate.  This was really bad news for us as the T-72 and BMP began to quickly eliminate our platoon.  Fortunately, CAS in the form of a lone AH-1 Cobra showed up and lit into the armor - destroying both within seconds of each other.  We took the next few minutes to determine casualties and call in a medivac helicopter.  After our casualties were taken care of, we again pressed onward down the valley.  Again, we encountered enemy infantry.  Once again, Jinef called in arty and after a few adjustments was able to get effective rounds on target.  We did not complete the mission as we still had two towns to control and had very little of our platoon left.  

It was a hell of a lot of fun.  One thing that I personally enjoy is that these missions have a "story line."  Each mission takes time, but in that time, you get to become involved in the virtual world.

Hah Phaeden. Thats great. Actually that mission was on Jinefs computer. It needs refinement and I may convert it to the Marine format instead of Rangers. What do you think :-)

Can't get the DMA Army pack to work for the life of me. I extracted the folder into my OPF game folder, and changed the link in the target line and it didn't work....

I proceeded to extract the addons folder which came with dowload into my OpFlash addons folder, AND my @wgl addons folder, run the new start line again, and it doesen't work.

What gives? i thought the WGL DMA ARMY PACK would change the default WGL units into dma army units?

in the @wgl5/bin directory you will find the directory model_definitions (@wgl5/bin/model_definitions)

From inside this folder copy the file "dma_army_models_base.hpp" to the @wgl5/bin directory renaming it "models_base.hpp", overwriting the one in there

use the desktop link (the one also pointing to the DMA army pack) to use the substitution troops wink_o.gif

----------------------

Edit: Above is not the WGL way to substitute the troops (even though tested in MP and found fully working), its much mure easier to swap troops the WGL way, so rather refer to the WGL-Wiki page on how to:

http://ofpc.de/wargames/wglhelp/index.php?page=Models_Base

but this only subtitutes the units in the wgl missions/campaigns but not in the default BIS ones , is there a way to use the DMA army pack with WGL5 in the not converted WGL missions?

@William1, as far as I know it is not possible. The next big step for WGL will be for a total converstion of default BIS units, but that hasn't happened. In all honesty it is not likely that it will happen either as Armed Assault will probably be out faster than we could do that converstion.

If, however, there is someone in the house that can assist us in this matter, please just let me know. I don't mean to be cruel, but only volunteer if you can do this without assistance. The WGL dev team is a bit... tired... at the moment. goodnight.gif

Quote[/b] ]in the @wgl5/bin directory you will find the directory model_definitions (@wgl5/bin/model_definitions)

From inside this folder copy the file "dma_army_models_base.hpp" to the @wgl5/bin directory renaming it "models_base.hpp", overwriting the one in there

DONT do it this way !

read these:

WGL wiki: Models_Base System - please read this.

or check this thread

So was my sizeable post on page 12 just overlooked? Were it just a 'well done WGL team' post I could understand. But it did have some things I thought were worth replying to. icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote[/b] ]Fantastic work gentlemen. I've only just gotten into WGL when it was still v5 beta, a few days before the final release in this thread.

Thank you.  Your post was not overlooked, I just can't get to everything at once.  Thanks for your understanding.

Quote[/b] ]

So far I've only encountered one pop-up error as shown below. And wondered if any cause or fix was available. Sorry, I can't remember which mission this occured in. If I come across it again I'll post about where/when it happened.

It is best if you can either tell us exactly when and when it occured or if it is reproducable.  We did have a very extensive bug testing process, but things did slip through the cracks.

Quote[/b] ]Also one of the things I noticed about choosing the grey GUI scheme is that text shown on your radio is almost invisible unless the mouse is hovered over it (however this could be my crap monitor).

This is true.  We will look into ways to make the GUI more effective.

Quote[/b] ]One of the most admirable things about this mod is the mission packs, containing hundreds of missions, even if alot are just conversions from one island to another.*

Thanks.  One main fault of early WGL versions was we did not include missions (or VERY few) and as a result, people didn't use it as their wasn't any way to play them.  Q and his brother (as well as others) spent lots of time ensuring we had lots of missions available at WGL 5 release.

Quote[/b] ]I like that vehicles no longer crumple like paper but is it possible to increase the chances of smoking wreckage? I really like to wipe out an entire tank platoon and have charred smoking armour strewn over the battle field, without it the battle seems to give less of a recent conflict feeling.

All armor vehicles should smoke.  Right now the light vehicles are not set to smoke - are you referring to these?  Otherwise, there should be smoke every time - the fire is a little different (if I recall correctly, fire happens about 25% of the time).

Quote[/b] ]Is it possible to hide the default blufor 'groups' aswell as individual units?

Probably, but it is something the I haven't looked into yet.

Quote[/b] ]I've installed 232 coop missions contained in the pack (excluding DM/TDM/C&H/CTF) and was wondering why some use default (BIS?) blufor not WGL blufor units?

It might be as simple as we missed them.  Our aim was to get it all right, but think about all the variables - even just in converting missions....  If you can tell us which ones, we can fix them.

Quote[/b] ]Is there a way to covert every reference of REDFOR in the editor and in-game to OPFOR? I just prefer the term weather accurate or not.

Yes, this is easy.  All you have to do is replace the "REDFOR" with "OPFOR" in a few places in the Stringtable file.  Q will probably correct me on this (via smacking me upside my head), but that should do it.  It may be a bit of a problem with MP missions as it will show you have an altered version, but I don't think it will be much of a problem.

Quote[/b] ]I was wonder if it was possible and or acceptable to turn off the 'Enlist at squadengine' and 'System Verified' sidechat messages at the beginning of missions? I guess I could live with the system verified message. I'm all for a bit of shameless self promotion like the letters WGL on the compass and what not but  don't need a clan invite at the beginning of every mission I play.

**GASP**  You could get rid of the "enlist" part, but I would keep the second.  It helps to make sure you are all on the same page and know what version you are using.  We did this as a direct request from years ago.  This fix is not as easy as the "OPFOR" one described above.  You would have to alter one of the .pbo files.  Unless you REALLY hate it, I would recommend you leave it alone.  

Quote[/b] ]<off-topic>

Is Phaedens work on VBS1 + 2 official or more free addon work? I would assume it is official given the VBS2 is still in development.**

</off-topic>

My work for VBS1 and 2 is official - not free addons.  VBS 2 is still in development (actually it is really well along in development).

Quote[/b] ]*Some of the other things worthy of mention are Tracer effects, Ruck system, lingering particles, secondary explosions, Infantry damage system, (dis)mountable mortars/HMGs, proper groupings based on actual TO&E, R-Rated stringtable.csv and a great deal more.

Thanks.  You are the first to mention the Rated R Stringtable.  Do you like it?  It was a test really - to see if people would go for something like that.

Quote[/b] ]**Feel free to PM the answer to this if it's deemed a restricted question for these boards... or ignore it alltogether.

Not much is "off limits" for these boards - perhaps particular work we are doing for VBS or something like that, but otherwise this is a great community.  We would never ignore something completely.

Quote[/b] ]Thankyou for the effort to all who have contributed to this most excellent mod. And a big thankyou to...

. Phaeden

. Killswitch

. Q

I have to say in all honesty that Q and Killswitch did most of the heavy lifting for WGL 5.  They both worked their asses off.  My role was much more... how would you put it Q... remote?  I basically just made sure that we didn't get too far off course (and those times were usually a result of something I wanted to do anyway).  They deserve the vast majority of all positive praise. I deserve most of the critisism as most of the exist errors or bugs are mine (like the UAV - all me).

phaeden beats another person to a response...w/e ill leave my post up anyway...

Quote[/b] ]So far I've only encountered one pop-up error as shown below. And wondered if any cause or fix was available. Sorry, I can't remember which mission this occured in. If I come across it again I'll post about where/when it happened.

that kind of error would probably be considered "low priority" unless it started popping up all the time; it sounds like the mission probably was converted earlier in WGL5's development, when the "pipebomb" it is referring to still existed (or existed under a different name/class).

Quote[/b] ]Also one of the things I noticed about choosing the grey GUI scheme is that text shown on your radio is almost invisible unless the mouse is hovered over it (however this could be my crap monitor).

you can probably change the color yourself by editing one of the game files (Q has been telling people to do it if they dont like the bright yellow GUI, i assume you can use the same method to edit the radio)

Quote[/b] ]I like that vehicles no longer crumple like paper but is it possible to increase the chances of smoking wreckage? I really like to wipe out an entire tank platoon and have charred smoking armour strewn over the battle field, without it the battle seems to give less of a recent conflict feeling.

sounds like a good idea to me, {edit: phaeden knows more about this than i do, so ill leave the answer to him}

Quote[/b] ]Is it possible to hide the default blufor 'groups' aswell as individual units?

what needs to be done (iirc) is to have the "#" symbol added in front of the groups, so that they show up at the top (this is done for the "unit" menu, but not for the "group" menu, unless it was changed for the final release in which case idk what it looks like).  i noticed this a while ago but forgot to post about it.

Quote[/b] ]I've installed 232 coop missions contained in the pack (excluding DM/TDM/C&H/CTF) and was wondering why some use default (BIS?) blufor not WGL blufor units?

because the missions were converted with a text editor (literally a big "find and replace" script) and not by hand, so many missions probably arent quite right.

Quote[/b] ]Is there a way to covert every reference of REDFOR in the editor and in-game to OPFOR? I just prefer the term weather accurate or not.

it used to be like that but was changed when someone pointed out that it might offend russian players (not to mention the strange potential circumstance of playing the russian side and referring to yourself as OPFOR)

Quote[/b] ]I was wonder if it was possible and or acceptable to turn off the 'Enlist at squadengine' and 'System Verified' sidechat messages at the beginning of missions? I guess I could live with the system verified message. I'm all for a bit of shameless self promotion like the letters WGL on the compass and what not but  don't need a clan invite at the beginning of every mission I play.

yeah those annoyed me as well, but then i kind of got used to them.  the "squadengine" line should be changed just because the WGL mod isnt using squadengine anymore.  i think you can turn off the lines by editing a game file, ask on the WGL forums for more info.

Quote[/b] ]<off-topic>

Is Phaedens work on VBS1 + 2 official or more free addon work? I would assume it is official given the VBS2 is still in development.**

</off-topic>

not 100% sure, but i think phaeden did unofficial work for vbs1 (ie just modding), and idk what the story is for vbs2.  thinking about it now, considering he does all the visual effects for WGL (and CoC Arty), i wouldn't be surprised if he was responsible for the vbs1 arty effects, and whatever effects vbs2 might be using...

you are welcome C4P741N smile_o.gif

sorry about the late reply !

still i have to work during the week. you get the problem whistle.gif

expect several updates (wiki, questions and more user friendly versions) this weekend.

well this one is easy ... you only have to look close wink_o.gif

correct: WGL_PipeBomb_PDM

false: WGL_PipeBpmb_PDM

=> mission maker's fault

The (WGL) smoke should always appear - it just takes a bit of time.

yes, noted.

Quote[/b] ]i was wondering why some use default (BIS?) blufor not WGL blufor units

they do ? i guess not. can you please name me some examples.

i think its only about the models you are mixing.

the model replacement doesnt work for a very small set of special units. if a unit still has BIS weapons, then there is a problem.

Quote[/b] ]s there a way to covert every reference of REDFOR in the editor and in-game to OPFOR? I just prefer the term weather accurate or not.

tricky. it would require editing of several different files.

@william1:

Quote[/b] ]mmmm..something strange, in the mission Defender in the WGL CWC campaign the AI doesn't lay the mines , he just walk from one side of the road to another , is it intended ? do i have to lay all the mines myself ?

i can think of the problem here. can u name me the mission name or its number for easier finding - cheers !

@Jblack

can you please try to double check your way of doing it according to our help pages:

or check this thread

other than that - screens help a lot wink_o.gif

does anybody have links to any WGCTIs ? has a updated version been made for 5.0?

I tryed that zeus cti but its rubbish it ether crashes the server or sais im missing addons which is imposible because i just dled them!!!

@punishment:

expect some surprises tomorrow whistle.gif

@william1:
Quote[/b] ]mmmm..something strange, in the mission Defender in the WGL CWC campaign the AI doesn't lay the mines , he just walk from one side of the road to another , is it intended ? do i have to lay all the mines myself ?

i can think of the problem here. can u name me the mission name or its number for easier finding - cheers !

@Jblack

can you please try to double check your way of doing it according to our help pages:

or check this thread

other than that - screens help a lot wink_o.gif

yes, the mission is called "Defender" , it is after "Hold Malden " and before "Tank Training" , in this mission you have to destroy a russian tank platoon by laying mines on the road with your sargeant , but he doesn't lay the mines ...

ah , and it is a mission of the WGL "cold war crisis" campaign smile_o.gif

Hello all,

allow me to start with the obvious: what an excellent mod smile_o.gif I wasn't a great fan (to say the least) of the previous versions of WGL, mostly due to the unreasonable amount of bullets it took to take out an enemy. I see that it still is a feature, but at least now the AI is affected by wounds in the same way as the players. This really extends the firefights and makes them far more intense. Last night I was playing a coop with a friend of mine. We were investigating a car crash when suddenly enemy troops were upon us. I took the first bullet and landed on the ground, paralysed and whiting out. All I could see was my teammate, desperately trying to pump the enemy full of lead. Great stuff smile_o.gif

I do have a few gripes though. The running animations have already been mentioned; they look kinda funky indeed. Still, I think Sanctuary is responsible for those?

Also, when I fire some AT weapons, they turn greyish blue. Very strange. The same thing happened to the notebook once or twice when I was messing around in the editor.

The third problem concerns the mortars. I love 'em, they are the best WGL feature in my opinion. Nothing is more fun than playing an FPS with a calculator next to your keyboard smile_o.gif However, it has happened to me a couple of times that the mortar simply refuses to work after firing off a couple of shells. I try to load another shell, but no animation or loading sound occurs. When I tell the AI to load a shell, I get an error message (I'll try to take a screenshot next time; something about the AI not having that particular shell, while the inventory screen states the opposite...). Any idea what is causing this? I should add that I've followed all the instructions, the game logic and the relevant mortars are in place etc.

Other than that, an excellent mod gentlemen! Congrats!

The DAC tanwars missions for everon and nogova never work for me, when it is finished loading it returns to the main menu. When the CCE mission for nogova loads up the white text saying "zone created" with all the exclamation marks stays on my screen and my squad doesn't join me. Any ideas?

does anyone else then me get the error message

'wgl_vitapc\config.cpp/CfgVehicles/WGLVIT_BMD3.WGLVIT_BMD3_MODEL': 'd' encountered instead of '='

at startup? and then the game dont start.

i downloaded from one of the mirrors in the first page of this thread

I'd try redownloading it then. It must be corrupted.

i´ll try that.....

oh, and btw, ony the filefront and roughnecks mirrors work, the others are quite dead..... (error 404 messages)

Also be sure you are not installing over any of the older betas. In other words delete the @wgl5 directory before installing the new one.

Didnt think of that one, but Id say that problem is caused by the corruption of a CCP/BIN file. I doubt clashing versions would cause a section of code to go missing?

Is someone maked a config file like EECP or FFUR to replace BIS units by WGL ones huh.gif Because it's clearly WGL that have the most realistic FX so i want to use them in all campaign and so and so...

Thx very much