Sign in to follow this  
Kos'aaK

Any other (ex) Battlefield 2 players?

Ive played BF2 for quite a bit. It's one of the games I really don't regret buying (I bought BF2+BF2SF). Some of my stats

http://bf2s.com/player/47842407/

Me and my friend used to rape the crap out of infantry and tanks in bomber biggrin_o.gifhttp://img116.imageshack.us/img116/544/untitled2ag.jpg

But Ive stopped playing after they nerfed aircraft and blackhawk. I love planes, and I used MI17 along with C4s to ram blackhawks. Them developers sure know how to mess up the gameplay. confused_o.gif

Btw, Ive sold one of my nicknames for rofl.gif $50 . Some dude didn't want to wait long for weapon upgrades. I had 25,000 score. That was long before they introduced new system where you receive new promotion every few thousands.

Just to make clear, CTI means Capture The Island. This mode will be shiped with Armed Assualt where as in OFP it was a Fan created MOD/Mission where the idea was sort of a basic RTS.

In OFP where it is a fan created mod CTI means Conquer The Island. wink_o.gif

Although with Armed Assualt the CTI mode may be slightly different then the one in todays OFP itll more or likely be one of the more populuar modes being played on servers just like today.

BIS`s CTI will no doubt be different from fan created CTIs. But without a doubt OFP`s CTIs will be ported to ArmA as well.

And in my opinion theese fan made CTIs are likely to very soon overshoot BIS`s CTI in terms of popularity. Just like today in OFP not on many servers coops and CTFs that came with the game are played. Instead more advanced (and hardcore) fan created coop and CTF missions are played.

Thanks for your replies guys, appreciate each and everyone of them. I would quote some but this is a different kind of forum as I'm used to so I'll let it be for now tounge2.gif

Well, bunnyhopping IS present in BF2, it's the best way to escape splash damage like that of APC's. Dolpindiving in BF2, please don't get me started on that smile_o.gif All in all, there's just SO many elements about BF2 that make me laugh and cry at the same time...

Lately, we've been playing a mod called Project Reality (www.realitymod.com) for BF2 which was created by very talented ex-military guys. 1 shot = 1 kill mostly, bleeding = death, cooperation = win ... so we MAY be prepared for some "reality" tounge2.gif

A lot of concern for BF2 players are graphics as well. Seeing the latest renders I must say I'm VERY impressed! Look for instance at the Abrams:

http://www.totalbf2.com/images.....mg=http

http://www.armed-assault-zone.com/gallery....der.jpg

ArmA 1 - BF2 0 biggrin_o.gif

The weather is impressive as well! Interactive Wildlife? WoW is all I can say!

What about the textures though. Buildings, towns, etc. Most SSs are from 2005 aren't they? Some seem a bit fuzzy, like shot on a low resolution PC with no AA?

On a scale from "1" to "10", we mostly run grade "6" PCs. How will ArmA look and play for us? pistols.gif

Yeah..most people here don't much like bf2 but generally when compared to AA,but nobodies gonna say "omfg you play bf2 you lameass!" either smile_o.gif Oh and welcome ^^

Laugh and cry,oh yeah..I know what you mean..

Project reality eh? Might have to try that sometime

Yeah,sadly it seems many bf2 players mostly went for graphics,and yes the Abrams render is impressing,but it is not the final result either wink_o.gif The render released lately are rather old,either that or BIS decided not to show normal mapping in the render.

There is one thing that many people seem to worry about,well not really..the OFP community can get model happy,we have models with 7000-8000 or so faces,faces being polygons...there is a count difference but I can't remember how marginal it was.

By the way,I thank you for not comming here and asking a release date and raming the game of graphics and whatnot,generally thats the type the community doesn't much like x.x,and you'v given me some hope that there are more mature BF2 players than I thought.

thanks for the welcome meyamoti smile_o.gif

the game is done when it's done and i will gladly wait as opposed to rushing the product on market because of greedy shareholders wink_o.gif

i've read some of your posts regarding graphics as well. i think you have a good point.

i sure hope you all get to meet the other ZiiPers, there exist relaxed guys in the BF2 community indeed biggrin_o.gif

btw if anyone of you wants to (maybe is forced to by strange magical powers) play bf2 for the fun and teamplay and not for ranks and awards, you're all welcome at:

Ranked Server 52 slot :: 193.93.45.105:16567

Project Reality Mod Server 32 slot :: 193.93.45.93:16567

Battleracer Mod Server 24 slot :: 193.93.45.104:16567

Oh thanks for the links,I'll probably be visiting some time soon,but on my friends account,he lost bf2 early so he gave me his account.

Ah screw it,I'll just start anew smile_o.gif

I'm pissed off with BF2. That new "expansion" thing doesn't look great, costs a small fortune (for me [i'm 14 w00t poorness]) and probably takes a million years to download, yet EVERY GODDAMN AUS SERVER (and I mean EVERY) USES IT!!!1!11!!

w00t, subject change pistols.gifband.gif

Any BF2 players will know what I'm talking about. Anyone else, be glad you don't have to be angry at something else.

I'm planning on putting BF2 on the shelf forever, when Armed Assault is released.

Why not just get a fresnel lens and burn it?

Why not just get a fresnel lens and burn it?

actually i did something similar tounge2.gif

not that i'm some kind of weirdo but it was refreshing and i am not able to play the game anymore yay yay.gif

lol...bf2 is really only a game for a short time...but ofp is and arma will be a game for another long time to have a lot of fun with!

the best thing on ofp is and will be hopefully in arma the same, the constant flow of new user-made stuff...maps, islands, addons, mods...

and ofp can be fast...just play some cqb ctf! wink_o.gif

CTF will be in ArmA from the beginning too...saw some ctf pics of the E3-demo.

BF2 is really only a arcade-fun game, it suxxs alone, but can be really good fun with someguys on ts.

But u cant play it as long as OFP, cause u will get a headache after some time, of all that arti and jumping/spawning players!

ofplover.gif

i tested BF2 in my pc and it last 30 min, then deleted it.

not gonna happen again..

OFP is far better then BF2.

If this simply becomes about ArmA v BF2 then it's offtopic and will be closed, if it continues in the theme of the first post then that's fine smile_o.gif

To be honest, there isn't a single game out there that i can compare with Operation Flashpoint..

Hope to see the old core flashpoint players back.. and by old i mean back in the gamespy times.. with 3dom being "the" serverhost where every1 wanted to join for the good ctf maps..

If this simply becomes about ArmA v BF2 then it's offtopic and will be closed, if it continues in the theme of the first post then that's fine smile_o.gif

Yes, thanks for clearing that up smile_o.gif

I started this topic because my clan is interested in ArmA and we hope all turns out positively (it's a big step to get 60+ members to move to a different game afterall, but our CL can comment on this more indepth).

I think ArmA can be marketed within the BF2 community in a way to attract the serious, mature players. And that's a lot of sold copies and a lot of servers for everyone pistols.gif

As for BF2, hmm. Maybe we all won't agree weather it's good or not, forget about it. I like brunettes, you like blondes tounge2.gif

The intention behind this topic is to find out the plusses and eliminate concerns regarding a move from BF2 to ArmA. I know it's hard because the game isn't released yet nonetheless there are many interesting replys here clearing up a couple of things.

The main concerns are:

Pace/speed of the game -> Should be OK, different game modes, mods/maps, I think there will be a piece of cake for everyone in ArmA smile_o.gif

Gameplay/Controlls -> Should be OK, BF2 players will need some hours to adapt, normal. Weather, wildlife, stars, day-night, AI all sound great smile_o.gif

Graphics -> IMO this WiLL be a reason for little kiddos to stay out of ArmA which is VERY positive. Let them have their Quake Wars and BF2142. The latest renders look great, some SSs do not. TBH I adopted meyamoti's theory and think the game is going to look very good in the end. No ragdolls - does this mean the same movements repeating throughout the game?

Sound -> I saw a trailer (sorry I forgot which one) and the sounds/radio messages of AI fellow soldiers were like mixed from a DJ together. What about gun sounds? I'm looking forward for that.

Netcode -> I really hope to play CTI once with 99 other human players xmas_o.gif

All in all, the demo will decide for us biggrin_o.gif

LOL, I sinned and bought BF2 delux on Saturday, wasted most of the day trying to get the "contacting account server" shyt working (and other stuff), even resorted to uploading the HUGE patch (which only made things worse) all to no joy.

The experience was NOTHING like the demo version I played many many months ago.

Come Sunday I saw the error of my ways and took it back for a refund ! (now reserved for ArmA)

LOL ... and to top it off the EA forums quietly banned my IP because I expressed my dismay at their "product".

After 25 odd years of computer gaming (read VIC20 onwards biggrin_o.gif ) you'd think they would appreciate some feedback.

Maybe just maybe others are providing the same wink_o.gif

I have shock horror just picked BF2 up again, its pretty good for pointless rampaging with a couple of the SES guys.

You may well find the biggest problem with ARMA the learnng curve , with OFP it is VERY steep, your chucked in the deep and it is literally the ai see you on "steal the car" and your toast.

The mods made by the community have made the AI even smarter, additions like Dynamic AI Control and ECP gave them the ability to provide each other with effective covering fire, flanking manouvers etc.. you will find it very different.

M72 Laws and the such like have massive drops on them over distance, they dont just spam on forever like a lot of other games.

Firing an M21 at 1000m will give a massive bullet drop you have the start making adjustments for wind speed (although you cant measure it so its just watching for the magic purple splat in the distance).

OFP has its quirks yes, spinning on the spot with binos anyone, however it is one of the most intense games out their, and many seasoned players may well have forgotten the major learning curve when they picked the game up

My advice, get OFP out to all your interested members (come on Å10 aint much :P) and start learning the ropes (campaign is a great way) pick up some good mods learn how to install those correctly and youll be right ready to adopt ARMa as a clan who have a clue, rather than the 100s that start up the day the games released without a clue!!

Quote[/b] ]No ragdolls - does this mean the same movements repeating throughout the game?

Pretty much so, theyll be a few replicare dead bodies ect.. but its worth the sacrafice of a few nifty (and to be honet usually 'naff) looking rag doll bodies for a huge scale combined arms battle across an entire island the size of a small country biggrin_o.gif

I wouldent say ofp is slow at all depends what maps your playing if you play a lot of cqb and dms like me then its not slow at all....

when Arma is released I plan to create a mission similar to Strike at Karkand, including ticket system

Guest Ti0n3r

That'd be great. I really like the whole ticket/flag system in BF2 wow_o.gif

It's stated 100+ players, why stop at 99? tounge2.gif

About concerns :

Scale on OFP, and even more on ArmA, is bigger, for the simple reason the map is bigger. That renders gameplay way slower. It's more of semi-long wait times with sudden bursts of action where you can lose or win in a flick of seconds

A common solution to this is to reduce dramatically the action area like done in OFP CTF to force players in being in contact.

The huge volume of ArmA will imho necessitate a few, if not way more than a few, AI thrown in the mix to liven up things to play on relatively big areas, the ones targetted by CTIs.

But the long travel times will remain, making approach still long and stealthy, with short engagements, because of the 1shot/1kill nature of the game.

The biggest difference, not seen for most of BF players, is in the editor, in fact. You are, in BF, limited to the same game again and again, the only difference being in the map and vehicles available. The objectives remain the same, the spawn system never changes, vehicles are available following the same rule.

You won't see any of these limits in ArmA. You won't be limited by the game types proposed by BIS. You're only limited by the time mission makers can spend on making new things, and how imaginative they are. And they are wink_o.gif After all, it's OFP mission makers who created the CTI concept. I'm personnaly contemplating trying another approach than CTI, but currently too lazy to begin making it sad_o.gif You just need to keep in mind you can do whatever you want in OFP, provided you have time and dedication to do it.

Another advantage, but which is at the same time maybe a drawback, is the moddability of the product. I don't think many games have seen has many addons and mods as OFP have. It's also a hugely complementary to mission making (see for example WGL mod & CTI relationship), enhancing mission making possibilities.

The drawback being that very big compatibility issues rise when playing on public multiplayer, leading to a connection mess when trying to play, and it can really be frustrating (moreso in today's OFP without JiP).

So, as far as catering to BF2 public, apart from the speed issue, there isn't much to be afraid of. I believe that if you hide the speed change behind a way bigger scale of combat, it can do the trick. Building BF2-style missions is very feasible, it's already done in OFP (first one was called "Battlefield 1985"). But I think BF2 players could do with a lil change wink_o.gif

What I would really love to see is players immerged in a actual fight, something that could run without them, they just log in, chose what they want to do and take place of some AI doing its mission. The more players connect, the more you'll see Human vs Human action, but everything still running fluid like a real war.

No RTS management, with "money" or anything, which are the big drawback I see in current CTI. Just being immerged in a realistic action taking probably hours and hours to complete

That'd be great. I really like the whole ticket/flag system in BF2 wow_o.gif

makes you think twice before ramming that chopper into tank biggrin_o.gif

I love the tension that OFP can give. To know that one wrong move and that will be the end of you. No getting shot 15 times and simply running for a magic medic pack.

Yeah,sometimes OFP can even have your adrenaline going because you know that one wrong move will result in your death,you have to be careful with your vehicles because they will never come back,just remain a destroyed hull.