Sign in to follow this  
martinovic

How realistic do you expect ArmA to be?

I'd expect better physics, AI, ballistics and basic things like that. I don't really care about armour value of tanks or types of camo.

Agreed, other than the point about the armour value of tanks. I’d like my co-op squad to have to readjust their plans if an enemy tank rolled up beside their objective as opposed to a single rocket from any position blowing it up.

All the extra realism I expect and require is that tanks don`t come to a virtual halt when climbing uphill and then reach mach 3 going downhill anymore.

I'd expect better physics, AI, ballistics and basic things like that. I don't really care about armour value of tanks or types of camo.

I'm sure they will be, but in comparison to its main competitors, I think that it will be about the same as OFP was in 2001. Technology does improve over time smile_o.gif

Well with new collision detection, better AI and such I think it will a bit more realistic. smile_o.gif

I am hoping and believing that it will indeed be more realistic than OFP 1985 was, although I also have to say that as a foot soldier sim, OFP 1985 is still king of the hill.

I am currently playing Battlefield 2 (arcade shooter, but with a well working squad it can be great fun), but my heart belongs to Operation Flashpoint (or any title that comes from the hands of the wizards at BIS, for that matter), so I am really looking forward to Armed Assault.

If AA turns out to be less realistic, oh well, a MOD can always do something about that, but from what I have read about AA so far, it seems to be more realistic than OFP 1985. Ballistics, collision detection, it all sounds promising.

The main reason I believe it will have those features, is that it comes from BIS. They've shown us they are not just using big words. Thank you BIS for OFP 1985, which kept me busy for about two years straight after launch. I really cannot say that about any other game that I have ever played in my life smile_o.gif

The realism in OFP is good enough.

When you go ultra realism games tends to become horribly boring unless you play COOP.

Just a bug fixed OFP would be more than enough for me.

IMO realism is relative. Are you hoping for a good cross wind during your approach that would cause you to adjust trim? Or are you saying realism in the sense of enviroment? Or are you saying realism when it comes to what a 7.62 NATO round would do to your leg?

I think realism, like the above examples are definatly good to have in a game. Realism in most sims creates a sense of immersion (feeling like your there), which for most people is fun. So far from what I've learned about arma it will indeed be more realistic, but it will also be fun instead of tedious. Adding insects, ambient wildlife, sunglare (HDR), better distant sounds, swaying vegitation, will definatly add to the "been there" feeling.

Personaly, i'm hoping for better explosion/fire effects. When a A-10 drops a 2000lb bomb, I want it to look like the video footage from afganistan.  pistols.gif

I agree with EvilNate, certainly sums up my feelings. Plus ArmA should ship with decent explosion FX, it's 2006.

I don't really know about how boring a really realistic game could be, as there already are several games that tries too hard to be realistic they are rather not very realistic at all.

But there are other realistic games which are popular, take for example: Americas Army, Now that game is obviously a ground game, without vehicles and such (It's been a long time since I played it).

Anyway, it is popular and realistic to a certain degree, probably just what you guys are talking about, but when it comes to a complicated game with vehicles it is not easily done to make it look both realistic in air and ground at the same time.

Take Battlefield 2 for example, that game is a bunch of bs. Although it is a game with alot of fun, I've spent hours on great fun.

But what I think that is the most important part in all games, specially when it comes to the line between realism and gaming experience, is the team you play with. It is all about teamwork for some games, and other games not.

Anyway, If you have a good group of gamers you play with and you all are on the same page, and have the same ideas the game will be fun wether it is an extreemly realistic or not.

Is it just my opinion or what?

I voted for Bit more realistic... If ArmA was a "total realism sim", this game would be ready somewhere 2007-2008. If some one wants to feel ultimate realism, there is no other way than hire up as a mercenary to war (you U.S guys too, as these "wars" you are having are still just conflicts). You cant simulate feeling of fear, and no body does want to play three hours of deadly boring quarding/patrol duty.

So warsims for computer are just plain utopia. You can brag about specs, but they are just little details, like having a nice car comparing to emptiness of soul/mind.

Still it would be nice if tanks work like they are in reallife. Reason i don't play as tanker in OFP. There are some minor things to correct, but they are just minor. boost of editor, scripting, multiple ways AI could works, very adjustable gameplay from newbies to veterans(in video options seem quite good) are things i expect from ArmA.

strange that no one cares obout a simple easy improvement, just to have a extra crew in western tanks, may it always be the job off ai, as it probobly is a boring MP thing to do, butt still its very realistic and should be in,, or no one cares?

I'd like ArmA to be realistic in terms of possibilities.

For example, if you play in multiplayer, and find a dead russian radio operator, you could use his radio to listen to the russian's "side channel" smile_o.gif

Also, FDF's tripwires, artillery, crew-manned weapons, and more were really great additions to the stock game!

Guest Ti0n3r

One of the (in my opinion) most important things; Realistic weapon recoil simulation. FFUR 2006 is a good example of how it should be smile_o.gif

At least according to the Pelit magazine preview there hardly is anything new in the realism front, tanks, for example, are exactly the same as before.

40% of you are about to get disappointed. wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

strange that no one cares obout a simple easy improvement, just to have a extra crew in western tanks, may it always be the job off ai, as it probobly is a boring MP thing to do, butt still its very realistic and should be in,, or no one cares?

I think that is much less of a deficit in realism than say having tank ballistics work like it was 1944. crazy_o.gif

At least according to the Pelit magazine preview there hardly is anything new in the realism front, tanks, for example, are exactly the same as before.

40% of you are about to get disappointed. wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

I think that is much less of a deficit in realism than say having tank ballistics work like it was 1944. crazy_o.gif

I prefer a better way of tank-behaviour then a loader who's going to be AI anyway so might aswell be out? tounge2.gif

Anyway i agree with Codarl, what i can do here IRL, should i be able to do in the game..

(Well ok, not everything is possible, and i dont really need/want everything in the game tounge2.gif )

I suppose the question really being asked here is how much realism is really necessary. As said before, making a totaly realistic military life simulator ultimately would prove pointless. Thats the kind of thing is for a 'Flashpoint MMO' (just as a figure of speech). But on the other side of the coin, making it less realistic might bring it closer to...BF2 goodnight.gif

Really, I dont want a 'more realistic' game, I just want some of the stupid unrealistic features of OFP removed.

i think they will do some stuff to improve realism but i think the big big changes will maybe be made in game 2..

right now i just feel i wanna get my hands on armed assault , everything else i play right now makes me annoyed tounge2.gif

i think they will do some stuff to improve realism but i think the big big changes will maybe be made in game 2..

right now i just feel i wanna get my hands on armed assault , everything else i play right now makes me annoyed tounge2.gif

yeah game 2 is where the realism is at! IMO they popped the hood to see the enigine of the HUMMV?! I mean if thats true then thats Ofp damned awesome!

I'd like ArmA to be realistic in terms of possibilities.

I agree and more interaction with the environment, for example being able to pick up that stone and throw it near to that enemy guard causing him to look the other way while you rush and put a knife silently in his neck! Stealth missions would be awesome!  tounge2.gif

On another note, what do you guys think of the healing system in OFP and does anyone know if this will be the same for ArmA or will it be more realistic? I personally never felt that 'healing' at a field hospital (tent with red cross!wink_o.gif or a medic or a M113 ambulance was particularly realistic! Although it did make many missions more achievable.

There seems to be no long lasting penalty for being badly injured in OFP if you happen to have a medic nearby or are able to crawl to a field hospital. Game play is obviously given the upper hand here and modelling real life injuries into the game would just be a freaking nuisance!   whistle.gif

On another note, what do you guys think of the healing system in OFP and does anyone know if this will be the same for ArmA or will it be more realistic? I personally never felt that 'healing' at a field hospital (tent with red cross!wink_o.gif or a medic or a M113 ambulance was particularly realistic! Although it did make many missions more achievable.

There seems to be no long lasting penalty for being badly injured in OFP if you happen to have a medic nearby or are able to crawl to a field hospital. Game play is obviously given the upper hand here and modelling real life injuries into the game would just be a freaking nuisance! whistle.gif

I think the healing in OFP is/was as realistic as they need to be.. if you imagine realistic injures (legs off etc) that would/could incapacitate players to continue mission (would be boring)..

The healing in OFP would be enough as they are.. maybe better animations in small/particular details and who knows better/news ways to heal.

There seems to be no long lasting penalty for being badly injured in OFP if you happen to have a medic nearby or are able to crawl to a field hospital. Game play is obviously given the upper hand here and modelling real life injuries into the game would just be a freaking nuisance!   whistle.gif

IMO it should be the WGL way (bleeding when hit, medics can stop bleeding) on 'veteran' mode, and the OFP way (magic healing) on 'cadet' mode smile_o.gif

But probabably noit going to be in.. wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]that would/could incapacitate players to continue mission (would be boring)..

Death also incapacitates players to continue mission, should it be disabled too so players don't get bored? Or even better, in the difficulty settings have an option "Remove each and every possibility of a mission failure so players don't get bored" enabled by default.

Quote[/b] ]IMO it should be the WGL way (bleeding when hit, medics can stop bleeding) on 'veteran' mode, and the OFP way (magic healing) on 'cadet' mode

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't wgl medics also have the supernatural healing powers? Like first you are hands or legs hit and after a brief visit to the doctor you are in some inexplainable way not. They get you right back to dammage 0.0. It's the mission makers choice really to include those units or medic tents, wgl mod or not.