Sign in to follow this  
martinovic

How realistic do you expect ArmA to be?

OFP was as realistic as the hardware allowed it to be back in 2001, but now that level of realism isn't exactly good in my opinion. Eventhough ArmA isn't a completely new game, i personally will still treat it as one that is released in 2006 (well - hopefully, but thats completely offtopic).

When voting keep in mind that this isn't Game 2 you are voting about, though.

Guest Ti0n3r

Just as unrealistic as vanilla OFP 1.96 is. Maybe even more, as it seems like you'll be able to sprint reeeeally fast.

I don't really care, since if I want to play only for realism, ill wait to buy it until one of the realism mods are released.

Im not, though, im also playing to have fun. So ill buy it anywhere smile_o.gif

I hope its slightly more realstic in the way units behave and vehicles handle, i really dont care about which country uses what kind of weapon, or uses whatever camo. But its probably going to stay more or less the same  smile_o.gif

i hope the handling of the vehicles (helos, airplanes) will be more realistic than in OFP.

I think ArmA will be more realistic then OFP - look @ the wonderful graphics & the 400qm island biggrin_o.gif

Guest Ti0n3r

I might as well add, what I'm hoping for isn't what I expect. I hope everything Placebo has said in various interviews is true. Realistic weapon recoil, realistic firearm ballistics etc. More realisim than OFP in general.

Just a bit more realistic. I dont really care though, we'll have plenty of mods to fix it...well maybe in 2 years after everyone's done finishing the 20th Abrams or M4 model but yeah we'll have a realism mod.

It's not like any addon maker owes you shit so just take what you get and be thankful. Or at least have some respect for the hard work and time people put into the stuff and don't whine at them like a spoilt child.

I dont understand the poll. What will it matter the outcome? if most people think that its less realistic does that mean it will be? no, we wont know till we actually play it.

We've been assured many many times through press releases that the game will indeed be more realistic.

Doh! doh.gif Looks like another 'I'm bored what shall I do next' thread!

Well as if anyone gave a monkeys, I'm expecting this game will be a huge improvement over OFP, and I spent untold hours playing with that game!

Roll on ArmA! I'm waiting here with my Track ir and fresnel lens! VR here we come!  cheer.gif   biggrin_o.gif

I hope it will be a little bit more realistic than OFP when it comes to weapon sway, recoil and equipment system.

Hey don't get all wound up Red Kite.

I really want to know what people expect from the game in the realism department.

I think the realism will be "improved" primarily due to more shiny cosmetics... And possibly the upgraded physics.

OFP was as realistic as the hardware allowed it to be back in 2001, but now that level of realism isn't exactly good in my opinion.

OFP was not "unrealistic" on some points because of limited hardware, but because of BIS balancing the gameplay. Most people on this forum would find a 100% simulator replica of a soldiers life boring as hell. Boring, frustrating games don't sell very well with the main stream public.

Remeber, theres a line between realism, and gameplay.. If you go to far either way, people complain a lot.. I think OFP managed to do a good job of balancing it (For example, if you had to train for years to be able to fly the helis, say, it'd be annoying, and totaly unplayable)

I hope ArmA has the same sort of ballance, I could not care less if the M16a2.403 revision 432 has a slightly different shaped trigger guard that wasn't introduced to the 433 revision 2 weeks after the game is set.. whistle.gif

- Ben

It's not like any addon maker owes you shit so just take what you get and be thankful. Or at least have some respect for the hard work and time people put into the stuff and don't whine at them like a spoilt child.

I never said they owed me anything, nor do I have to thank them for something I don't want.

I don't really mind about the base level realism, as long as the game plays well, and mods can be made for the realism nuts (points at self).

Meh, I'd appreciate a bit more realism, and as it sounds, we're going to get just that. smile_o.gif

For example, if you had to train for years to be able to fly the helis, say, it'd be annoying, and totaly unplayable

True, but flying helis should be at least as hard, that half the players would be unable to fly it effectively (perhaps on a realism level of good old Jane's Apache Longbow).

In most public OFP games that involve Helis, people fight all the time to fly them, would be much better if most of them would simply give up smile_o.gif

I think it will be about the same as OFP in terms of just about everything. Graphics will be good but not spectacular, game will be realistic but not unapproachable to the mainstream gamer... its lasting appeal will be in its flexible engine and the complexity of the scenarios that it's capable of producing.

It should be much more realistic than OFP, but I expect it to be about the same.

I'd expect better physics, AI, ballistics and basic things like that. I don't really care about armour value of tanks or types of camo.