Sign in to follow this  
Victor_S.

PC Discussion Thread - All PC related in here.

I called Alienware again today, and their answer is ridiculous. They said the 7950GT is better for my pc, and they said 7950GT512 SLI will proform better than 7900GTX512 SLI with my PC (My PC AMD FX60, 2G RAM A8NSliDeluxe, they also said 7950GT is slower than my 7900GTX but the proformance can be increased to like 7900GTX by changing to new driver(LOL), overclocking, and blah blah blah (eh, basically they are asking you to change the V4 Camry to V6, and the Camry will run as fast as your defective V6 Lexus which they sold you), contact their tech support for more details........... crazy_o.gif Anyway, they just keep telling stupid lies confused_o.gif, I guess it is time for legal action pistols.gif

Well a few problems really, I recently reformatted my hard drive but originally the comp wouldn't boot up something to do with the BIOS so I edited them and computer boots up now but anyway...

Firstly the CD Drive wont work, it opens and closes, spins the CD but it wont run the CD nor is it seen on My Computer. Anyone know what this might be?

Second problem. Upon reformatting I can no longer choose Anti-Aliasing for my Gfx card. The option is there but is blanked and wont let me select it. Anyway reason for this?

Thanks.

Well a few problems really, I recently reformatted my hard drive but originally the comp wouldn't boot up something to do with the BIOS so I edited them and computer boots up now but anyway...

Firstly the CD Drive wont work, it opens and closes, spins the CD but it wont run the CD nor is it seen on My Computer. Anyone know what this might be?

Second problem. Upon reformatting I can no longer choose Anti-Aliasing for my Gfx card. The option is there but is blanked and wont let me select it. Anyway reason for this?

Thanks.

See what kind of configurations you changed in your bios I think they are responsible for many of your problems.

Check if there is bios update for your mobo 2.

Here i may have a problem with my Sound (or ARMA)

Basically i have Hardware acceleration enabled, and the sounds are quite full of static.. i cant stant going in First person view when in a Vehicle, as the sound is just too Static, if i swith this off the static goes away, but this immersion of the sounds is nothing compared..

So any way to get rid of the static problem?

by the way i have a Soundblaster SE

Cheers

Thanks.

Detach cable for cd-rom from mobo than re-attach. Windows should pick it up as 'New Hardware." Install drivers. If that doesn't work, check cd-rom jumper and set to 'cable select'- usually thats the option to the far left.

When reformatting you probably lost updated drivers for your GPU.

Cheers for info, shall try right once I've finished this post. biggrin_o.gif

About the drivers froggyluv, yeah I lost them but reinstalled the ones of the CD (don't ask how this was possible when the CD drive wasn't working rofl.gif ) but anyway I looked for even more updated drivers and the ones I were using before the reformat were 94.31 nvidia drivers for the Geforce 6600 GT AGP but I cant find these anymore?

Anyway off to get the CD drive to work. Cheers.

Edit - Well I'm a step closer now both drives open and close and sounds more working and windows also state they now work unlike before but yet they still don't run the CD so i presume its drivers?

Where do i actually get them for CD drives then?

Edit - Well I'm a step closer now both drives open and close and sounds more working and windows also state they now work unlike before but yet they still don't run the CD so i presume its drivers?

Where do i actually get them for CD drives then?

Huh. Thats tough. Are you sayind Windows sees CD-ROM in 'Device Manager'? If so check to see if it needs drivers by clicking on it. Generally Drivers are on Windows CD although I lost many drivers when using XP Pro.

If it says all is well, thats tricky, what exactly happens when you try to run CD?

Well upon startup everything runs like normal, the drive open and closes like normal and even spins the CD when in. However the CD device isn't shown in My Computer so if I chose "Add hardware" from control panel it says that the CD drive is working correctly.

When a CD is placed in the drive it spins and all like normal but just doesn't play the CD or run Auto Startup or anything, nor is an image of the CD shown on My computer.

I checked the drivers in device manager and it says all drivers are up to date.

Well upon startup everything runs like normal, the drive open and closes like normal and even spins the CD when in. However the CD device isn't shown in My Computer so if I chose "Add hardware" from control panel it says that the CD drive is working correctly.

When a CD is placed in the drive it spins and all like normal but just doesn't play the CD or run Auto Startup or anything, nor is an image of the CD shown on My computer.

So your saying the cd-rom IS showing in device manager' but not in 'my computer'?

You could try this:

Make a new text file in notepad and copy/paste this, and then save the file

Quote[/b] ]REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]

"UpperFilters"=-

"LowerFilters"=-

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr]

- Now, re-name that file to something like fixcd.reg

- Backup your registry just to be safe (using regedit, run from Start -> Run), or create a backup point (that should work as well)

- Double-click on the fixcd.reg and answer OK to the question whether you like the registry to be edited.

The drive should 'appear' now, you may need to reboot first though.

I had a similar problem not long ago and this solved it for me.

Is anyone going to answer my question?

Where do you live so we can take that into account, what is the maximum amount you can spend on a new computer and what are the specs of the computer you have now so maybe we can build further on that one?

this is my fathers computer so i cant upgrade it becuse then i will give him a free upgrade.lol. anyway i want a computer that can run arma on normol smoothly i will like to spend as less money as possible about 800 dollers will be finebut i plan to pay it mouthly(200 dollers a mouth so i can avoid those dam intrest).I dont have 800dollers and it will be a while to. i have 400 dollers now. I live in orlando, fl

Oh and if you can find me an xp since those are now cheeper that will be great. help.gif

Quote[/b] ]So your saying the cd-rom IS showing in device manager' but not in 'my computer'?

Yeah thats it.

Thanks h- but that didnt seem to work, also tried restarting but no look.

Quote[/b] ]So your saying the cd-rom IS showing in device manager' but not in 'my computer'?

Yeah thats it.

You might want to try a tech forum like Tom's hardware or Hexus as those guys really know hardware.

In bios, does your cd-rom show up in the first screen as 'Master' or 'slave'? Are you sharing ribbon with HD and did you check the jumper to see which position its in?

Also double-check that ribbon is securly fastened as that has messed me up on numerous occasions.

Quote[/b] ]

Well shute ( tounge2.gif )

That sure is a weird one..

Funny actually, when I experinced the same exact problem the only reason why I found that solution I posted was because numerous people around the world had experienced the same problem at the same time.. crazy_o.gif

The drive (DVD in my case, that fix I suggested is from 2002 and it's for CD drives) did disappear suddenly later on but that same fix fixed it again..

I this computer good enough?

http://www.xpcomputers.co.nz/views.asp?hw_id=1461

If the link is not working here are the specs

CPU: AMD Athlon 64bit 3500+ AM2

Motherboard: MSI K9N AM2 Motherboard Raid, USB2.0, 10/100 LAN, 6CH Sound Card Motherboard

Memory: 1GB DDR667 RAM

Hard Disk: Seagate160GB 7200RPM

Optical Disk: DVD 16X - Dual Layer Writer

Video Card: nVidia 7600GS PCI-E 256MB

Case:ATX Full Tower Case Black/Silver with 2x USB2.0

Well i've now gotten a friend to come get it working as he says its most likely the BIOS and i have very little knowledge of the BIOS he said he will take a look. Thanks a lot anyway.

Quote[/b] ]I this computer good enough?

Whats your budget? Its hard to determine a good computer without knowing what the budget is.

It is, could be better but it should be sufficient to run ArmA. Its PC only, make sure you have a monitor and kb/mouse lying round there somewhere

Quote[/b] ]SHWiiNG

Here i may have a problem with my Sound (or ARMA)

Basically i have Hardware acceleration enabled, and the sounds are quite full of static.. i cant stant going in First person view when in a Vehicle, as the sound is just too Static, if i swith this off the static goes away, but this immersion of the sounds is nothing compared..

So any way to get rid of the static problem?

by the way i have a Soundblaster SE

Cheers

That, I believe is an issue that I had in OFP , I have upgraded my comuter since then and so im not sure if it IS the same in arma.  My previous computor had a soundblaster SE (or somethin like that) and it was the worst card ever.  The static i had from vehicles was deafening.  It was strange.  It seemed that explosions or loud sounds would trigger it.  The only way for me to get rid of it was to restart comp.  I literally destroyed two seperate sets of speakers because of this problem.  I had installed the newest drivers.  They cause a super high pitched sound untill comp finished start up after install.  

Soution: Get a new sound card.  If it is same problem i had it will be much cheaper to get a new sound card that it is for a new set of speakers.  

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Federal