Sign in to follow this  
Victor_S.

PC Discussion Thread - All PC related in here.

Why shouldn't I use SLI with that graphic card?

Its not that you shouldnt, its that the P5W DH Deluxe is a Crossfire mobo, and apparently doesnt support SLI (tho I expect you can find "hacks" - replacement BIOS etc - out there on the interwebs to be able to use SLI on that board)

Quote[/b] ] which will be a while until I can afford it, does anyone know if the 7600 GT will push ArmA on normal?

I got the Leadtech AGP 7600 GT and I can play Arma with all texture settings, landscape and object detail on high to very high , AA off and no shadows with a viewdistance of 1200 on a AthlonXP 2800 system with 1 Gig Ram. I am more than satisfied. The card rocks for the 140 Euro it costs. In some aspects it´s even faster than the 7800 Nvidia models.

Got a question though. My card is AGP 8x but my mobo only supports AGP 4x. I´m surprised that it runs that good on the MSI board but I want to know if an AGP 8x board will give me an additional boost for the card.

What does 8x AGP actually mean ? And how is it compared to 4x AGP ?

Why shouldn't I use SLI with that graphic card?

Its not that you shouldnt, its that the P5W DH Deluxe is a Crossfire mobo, and apparently doesnt support SLI (tho I expect you can find "hacks" - replacement BIOS etc - out there on the interwebs to be able to use SLI on that board)

Oh, I didn't know that.

Well maybe I'll have a look for another motherboard then.

Thx for letting me know.

Thx smile_o.gif

You know of a good comparison chart between the AMD and the Intel?

http://tomshardware.co.uk/cpu/charts.html

Best independant one i know of.

Thx gonna take a look at it immediately.

Personally I think Intel is the way to go for the moment. Great chips with very high OC capabilities. You might want to check out EVGA nForce 680i SLI, as that gets rave reviews on the Overclocker Extreme forums.I just ordered the ASUS Commando, even though it doesn't have SLI, it's the Overclockers dream in the same price range

inlove.gif

Well I found this one from Asus,

Asus P5N32-E SLI PLUS S775 Fsb1333 Q nF680I SLI CK804 4DDRII800 2Pe16@16&@8 2Pe 2P A 2GBL R 6S2 ATA133

Still at a very fair price too because the other one was the Striker Extreme which I find a bit too expensive.

Well I found this one from Asus,

Asus P5N32-E SLI PLUS S775 Fsb1333 Q nF680I SLI CK804 4DDRII800 2Pe16@16&@8 2Pe 2P A 2GBL R 6S2 ATA133

Still at a very fair price too because the other one was the Striker Extreme which I find a bit too expensive.

Also a good board. Asus also has the p5nsli -E which is a 650 chipset rather than 680 but its going for around 130. Both board are good OC'ers. It breally just depends on what your priorities are with the board. If just SLI with moderate OC, go with the 650 chip and use the extra money for high quality ram. If OC is your game,go with the 'Plus'.

Also don't get a Striker, there way overpriced and the much cheaper Commando has beaten it in OC benchmarking.

Think I'll go for the Asus P5N-E SLI GREEN S775 Fsb1333 Q nF650I SLI CK804 4DDRII8 2Pe16@8 2Pe 2P A GBL R 4S2 ATA133 2*1394A 8USB2 then.

Appreciate all the help smile_o.gif

Think I'll go for the Asus P5N-E SLI GREEN S775 Fsb1333 Q nF650I SLI CK804 4DDRII8 2Pe16@8 2Pe 2P A GBL R 4S2 ATA133 2*1394A 8USB2 then.

Appreciate all the help  smile_o.gif

Good choice i think you'll be happy with that board. I made the mistake of getting the p5n - without the E- and this board is stable but can't OC for jack. I was always pissed @ the guys who had the "e" at the end as they were regularly getting there FSB up to 1400+ as mine tops out at 1230 banghead.gif

I gotta stop hanging out on those OC forums...

...it becomes an addiction crazy_o.gif

Hehe, I'm sure you'll be more careful next time wink_o.gif

Just need to have a little bit more patience now and soon I'll have my new pc.

In for some splendid gaming times again smile_o.gif

Any idea if there's a price drop coming up soon for hardware? Just curious because its not the first time that I bought new parts and a month later everything became cheaper icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote[/b] ] which will be a while until I can afford it, does anyone know if the 7600 GT will push ArmA on normal?

I got the Leadtech AGP 7600 GT and I can play Arma with all texture settings, landscape and object detail on high to very high , AA off and no shadows with a viewdistance of 1200 on a AthlonXP 2800 system with 1 Gig Ram. I am more than satisfied. The card rocks for the 140 Euro it costs. In some aspects it´s even faster than the 7800 Nvidia models.

Got a question though. My card is AGP 8x but my mobo only supports AGP 4x. I´m surprised that it runs that good on the MSI board but I want to know if an AGP 8x board will give me an additional boost for the card.

What does 8x AGP actually mean ? And how is it compared to 4x AGP ?

AGP 8x is twice as fast as AGP 4x (Suprising, huh?) the AGP 8x cards use less voltage than AGP 4x cards. The two are completely compatible with eachother, so they function as they should and they wont blow up or anything. However, plugging an AGP 8x card into a 4x slot will reduce the maximum speed at which the card can run but this would is only be an issue when the card is under heavy load (AFAIK), and you would never notice the difference.

Ok thx for the answer. I did some googling and what I found is that a 4x AGP slot has a max rate of 1017 MByte/s and an 8x slot has a max of 1990 MByte/s.

I guess I will give it a try and go for a "new" mobo supporting 8x as they are pretty cheap (around 40 Euro for good MSI boards).

I think Arma is one of these demanding programs and it´s very likely that maybe there will be a slight improvement in performance. I guess it´s worth a try , no ?

Hehe, I'm sure you'll be more careful next time  wink_o.gif

Just need to have a little bit more patience now and soon I'll have my new pc.

In for some splendid gaming times again  smile_o.gif

Any idea if there's a price drop coming up soon for hardware? Just curious because its not the first time that I bought new parts and a month later everything became cheaper icon_rolleyes.gif

Pretty hard to gauge price drops in MOBOS. Ive seen top quality boards drop down $60-80 only to shoot back to normal or even over initial price due to popularity. Best to just watch the market and pick one that gets good reviews but not necessarily the "it' card of the moment.

Ok thx for the answer. I did some googling and what I found is that a 4x AGP slot has a max rate of 1017 MByte/s and an 8x slot has a max of 1990 MByte/s.

I guess I will give it a try and go for a "new" mobo supporting 8x as they are pretty cheap (around 40 Euro for good MSI boards).

I think Arma is one of these demanding programs and it´s very likely that maybe there will be a slight improvement in performance. I guess it´s worth a try , no ?

Not really. I dont know that much about how much of a difference it makes, but I doubt youd notice that much of a difference. In a matter of fact, if your current motherboard has a superior chipset to the newer one, your performance may go down. I say if what you have works, stick with it. Overclocking would be a better way to get more performance.

Got one last question.

When I look at the drivers that you can download on the Nvidia website for the 8800 I don't see a download option for WinXP 32-bit, so if I keep WinXP Pro 32-bit then does this mean it isn't compatible with that card?

I altered it a bit and this will be my final.

- Vista Home Premium

- Arctic-Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

- Corsair TWIN2X1024-6400 1024MB DDR2 800Mhz 2X62MX64 TwinX, Matched P,C5, DDR2

- Western Digital 320GB WD3200KS CAVIAR SE SATA II 8.9MS 7200RPM 16MB

- Asus P5N-E SLI GREEN S775 Fsb1333 Q nF650I SLI CK804 4DDRII8 2Pe16@8 2Pe 2P A GBL R 4S2 ATA133 2*1394A

- Intel CORE 2 DUO E6700 2.67GHZ S775 FSB1066 4MB CACHE BOXED

- Asus 8800GTX/HTDP/768MB TV-Out, Dual DVI, HDTV, DX10 PCIe

- Coolermaster 600W iGreen Power ATX2

- Logitech Media Keyboard Elite USB/PS2 Azerty

- Logitech G5 Laser Mouse USB

Looks like a nice rig LT. Why don't you just get the e6600 though as it also has the L2-4mb cache and is very OC'able while saving you some cash.

I'm jealous of that graphics card mad_o.gif

Well it looks like the e6700 is faster, guess that's the mian reason why I replaced it.

Yeah, its one helluva card isn't it.

Any idea on my previous post about the drivers?

I looked on the site. Its under the rather confusingly labeled "Windows XP/Media Centre Edition".

Nice setup btw, but I would consider a better PSU for a setup of that type. I dont know how good the one you selected is, but Id recommend that if youre going to build that sort of PC, get the best you can get (ie. something by Seasonic or Enermax). Though if the one you selected has good reviews, then its probably good to go.

Ah ok thx I'll have a look over there.

Not the most logical place to look for it.

What I've read about that PSU it should be a good one, but I'll have look around some more.

OK I just installed new mobo,Commando, which wouldn't accept my old IDE HD, so I bit the bullet and got a fresh new sata as well as new OS,Vista. That means fresh install of everything...I'm not sure i really like Vista as the old ways of just D/L a file such as SLX into a folder such as OFP, aint so easy anymore as it goes into a 'compatability' folder instead. But now when I try to unzip the file i get-"Error: unable to create output file", and thats with every D/L so far. Being that my Winzip was an XP leftover I D/L Winzip Vista but got the same result?!?

Anybody?

Hi, i have a question about 7950GT512SLI and 7900GTX512 SLI, i bought a new pc from alienware for ARMA. However, one of the 7900GTX512 is a defective product with artifact problem. First i thought it is driver's problem so i waited a few months for new driver, but i finally found out is the evga 7900 manufacture problem.   I contact the Alienware reccently, and they are going to send 7950GT512 Sli to replace it because there isnt evga 7900gtx anymore, but isn't 7950GT 512 proformance(and especially price) is lower than 7900GTX 512? should i accept this?? or does anyone has any suggestion?

P....le..a...se..............H..e...lp....me.e....e..............e............ help.gif

Thank you very much!

Hi, i have a question about 7950GT512SLI and 7900GTX512 SLI, i bought a new pc from alienware for ARMA. However, one of the 7900GTX512 is a defective product with artifact problem. First i thought it is driver's problem so i waited a few months for new driver, but i finally found out is the evga 7900 manufacture problem. I contact the Alienware reccently, and they are going to send 7950GT512 Sli to replace it because there isnt evga 7900gtx anymore, but isn't 7950GT 512 proformance(and especially price) is lower than 7900GTX 512? should i accept this?? or does anyone has any suggestion?

P....le..a...se..............H..e...lp....me.e....e..............e............ help.gif

Thank you very much!

Welcome back smile_o.gif .

I dont think a single 7950GT can double the performance of 2 7900GTX's in SLI, point this out to them and ask for a 8800GTS instead biggrin_o.gif . If i were you i would accept the 7950GT and sell it with your good 7900GTX, then grab a single 8800GTX.

the bad thing is they are also asking me to send back the both 7900gtx 512 to exchange the two 7950gt 512. also, when i bought 7900gtx it was like 5xxUSD per card, and one 7950gt is only about half the price of a 7900GTX512.  I'm trying to collect as much as info as possible before i call back.

thank you for your help thumbs-up.gif

I cant believe the Alienware worker told me 7950gt is better when i ask isnt it not as good as 7900gtx right on the phone.