Sign in to follow this  
Victor_S.

PC Discussion Thread - All PC related in here.

Hey mate, not sure if you've got your card yet but I fully recommend a 7900GS. I have one myself and can run the game smoothly with avg. 30FPS with everything on high to ultra high and it looks awesome! Plus they overclock like mad ... not that I need to overclock mine at the moment though :P

Anyways a few tweaks with your PC might help get that extra boost of FPS that you need aswell, PM me and I can help you with it smile_o.gif

I would highly recommend the 7900GS card. I have the ASUS version of it and it's highly overclockable. I run it stable with Core at 580Mhz and Memory at 1,6Ghz with the stock fan.

ArmA runs sweet in 1280x960 for me with my Core 2 Duo @ 3Ghz and 2GB RAM.

I would highly recommend the 7900GS card. I the ASUS version of it and it's highly overclockable. I run it stable with Core at 580Mhz and Memory at 1,6Ghz with the stock fan.

1.6 ghz is very nice,

pm me plz how you did inlove.gif

cause i'm crasing out by 1.55 ghz or something tounge2.gif

I have the Gainward 7900GS 256mb and i have it overclocked with stock cooling 650/1660 (great overclocking card), temperatures run at 60 load.

Arma runs fine with it @normal settings 1280x1024 biggrin_o.gif

I would highly recommend the 7900GS card. I the ASUS version of it and it's highly overclockable. I run it stable with Core at 580Mhz and Memory at 1,6Ghz with the stock fan.

1.6 ghz is very nice,

pm me plz how you did inlove.gif

cause i'm crasing out by 1.55 ghz or something tounge2.gif

I didn't do anything particular. Enabled overclocking in the nvidia control panel using the coolbits reg and then just trying. I can't go beyond 1,6Ghz though, the slider doesn't go any further biggrin_o.gif

I also recommend this card- excellent card for the $$

I got mine around $150 3 months ago after some rebate. Overclocks like a dream. Has anyone tried theirs in SLI?

I bought the 7900 gs a couple months ago to replace the 6800gs I had bought for Oblivion a year ago.

Huge difference. Like these guys said, highly OC'able, 650,1.5

Getting 25-40 fps on arma; 50 -130 on OFP ffur/slx.

One of the Moderators posted that run in sli with 'Fear's profile you can get up to 50-60 fps.

specs:asusp5nsli mobo

7900 gs

intel 640 oc'ed@2.6

2 gig teem extreem 667 ddr2

WOW, thanks for all the replies....

Great, great info

I will probably get the 7900 GS soon, especially since the price is so low.

TO monkmonk, thanks for the recommendation, but I see the 7900GS for around $150 now, and the 7950GT is around $220. I want a good card to run arma on normal, but not too expensive since I intend on upgrading to an 8xxx series for DX 10, so thats the reason I'll probably go with the 7900.

Thanks very much to all for the posts!! Great feedback..

Buy a 7950GT its easy to clock to nearly a Geforce 8 series

620 mhz / 1500 mhz

Theres more than clock speed to the reason why the GeForce 8 is so great - DX10 support and Unified Shaders are what makes it stand out, the fact that theyre also really fast also helps smile_o.gif

Yeah, I understand that. But $400 is not in the budget, as well as the fact a lot of people are having problems w/ 8800 series and ArmA.

Not to mention the fact that it will probably be 3 years before a DX10 game comes out, there will be 20 DX10 cards on the market and older cards like the 7900 series will still run the games, just not w/ DX10 graphics.

$400 is not in the budget, as well as the fact a lot of people are having problems w/ 8800 series and ArmA.

Not to mention the fact that it will probably be 3 years before a DX10 game comes out...

The 320MB version of the 8800GTS is right arround the corner, cost about ~300$.

About the problems with ArmA, what do you think, is it NVidia's fault or BIS'? (Other games run fast like HELL with a 8800.)

First DX10 game is, as far as I know, Crysis. This game is planned to be released Q3 or Q4 this year.

MfG Lee smile_o.gif

Good points

As far as who is to blame, I really dont know the answer to that. It is definately worth taking a look, w/ DX10 coming up, but currently I am building a PC, so I have a pretty tight budget

I would like to have an 8800, but may just settle for a cheaper 7900 that would run ArmA for the next year, and possibly get the 8800 at a later date!

I may be just getting into a hurry, cause I want to play ArmA, but my old FX 5900 Ultra wont push it (dont laugh to hard)

I may reconsider, or just wait until the 8800 gets in the 230-280 range!!! If that happens in the next 2-8 months!!

i am using a 8800GTS now and there isnt much issus with 1.02, just remember to go around the bug trap like texture set to very high then your card will run the game all fine wink_o.gif

oh and BTW there will be a 8600 as the middle and another for low end user later this year, which ATI will push its huge ass X2900(something like that?) at the same time!

GOD i love the card war!! tounge2.gif

I can recommend the 7900 GS. No problems, does everything I want it to do.

To those of you who have the Geforce 7900GS, my friend recommends this tool Nvidia System Tool ... I am currently in the process of using it myself, will let you know how it goes!

Edit - Does sod all, an OC program with a safety switch. Will be sticking to ATI Tools afterall smile_o.gif

VIC..wsup..When I get the PC built, I should be by the server!!!!

Man, anyone know when the mid range 8 series will be out?

BTW, quick question..Since I'm thinking about the 8 series, which will be a while until I can afford it, does anyone know if the 7600 GT will push ArmA on normal? Or w/ at least textures on normal?

Moving to OT and merging with the existing PC discussions thread.

So I'm thinking of installing some new parts in my puter and would like to hear your opinion about this.

Which one would be better?

AMD based:

- Cooler Zalman CNPS9500 AM2

- 2048MB TWINPACK (2x1024) DDR2 800Mhz CL5

- Samsung 300GB HD300LJ SATA II 7200RPM 8MB

- Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe SAM2 Ht1000 nF590SLI X16 4/2cDDRII5 2Pe16 1Pe4 1Pe1 2P A 1394

- AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5200+ S AM2 64bit tray

- Asus 8800GTX/HTDP/768MB TV-Out, Dual DVI, HDTV, DX10 PCIe

Intel based:

- Cooler Zalman CNPS7700 Cu for Intel 478/775

- 2048MB TWINPACK (2x1024) DDR2 800Mhz CL5

- Samsung 300GB HD300LJ SATA II 7200RPM 8MB

- Asus P5W DH DELUXE, S775,PCIe, I 975X, DDR2, 2Glan, SATA Raid,...

- Intel CORE 2 DUO E6600 2.4GHZ S775 FSB1066 4MB CACHE BOXED

- Asus 8800GTX/HTDP/768MB TV-Out, Dual DVI, HDTV, DX10 PCIe

Gonna use this with WinXP Pro SP 2

Thanks in advance guys smile_o.gif

The Core 2 Duo based system is the best one there. If you want to use a non-standard CPU Fan, theres better options that the Zalman that are cheaper, in particular the Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7 is generally considered to be top of the range.

its up to you that if you wanted to use SLI for 8800GTX or not, i would go for the intel system since i am only using a single 8800GTS, and even only with p965 chipset its still have higher perforemce and O/C power then the latest nV chipset, let alone not brother to O/C it confused_o.gif

Why shouldn't I use SLI with that graphic card?

Just wondering.

Oh yeah, I will be using only one graphic card too, does that make a difference?