Sign in to follow this  
Victor_S.

PC Discussion Thread - All PC related in here.

Only if you also buy a better graphics card, which you planned to do anyway so therefore you should have a great PC that could play just about anything.

The PSU is the PC's Power Supply Unit. It outputs a certain amount of electrical energy measured in Watts (W). A high capacity PSU is needed for a powerful graphics card. The reason why I mentioned it is that many PCs that dont come with graphics cards, and that come from non-gaming PC companies dont come with good PSUs, therefore your PC would not have enough energy to power the graphics card as well as other componenets.

EDIT: I googled the model name of that PC and came up with these reviews. Note how all of them comment on the weak PSU... I looked on the site that had the PC, found this. Seemed to be the best of their rather limited selection.

eMachines - 356 Desktop T3604

Used to work in factory where they made these. In QA. I would advise strongly against buying anything form eMachines for anything other than simple office use.

Interestingly, last month I talked to my friend who still works there and they've tested model with similar specs (IIRC P4 3 Ghz, 512 RAM shared with graphics card).

It had Vista boot time 12 minutes, so they scrapped it. Go figure.

stuff

You dont want to buy a celeron, ever, and the 512mb ram doesnt help either.. huh.gif

ok i am now thinking about between 8800GTS and X1950 pro, now that i have to say i am not a nV fan and i like the ATI visual effect more, while the X1950 looks really good, with the close price (both around 1XX euros), 8800 is more powerful and support dX10, so which would be the best buy? confused_o.gif

oh and anyone thinks that my base system a bit over priced?(since we dont have GST in hong kong..........)i dont mind on money too much(no GF, and my family didnt ask for pocket money) and i couldnt find a single 1GB DDRII-800 on market. but on the other hand i dont to look like a fool confused_o.gif

I cant spend to munch money. what do i need to buy for that 600 doller windows vista computer. A new psu??

And is that all i need to run that G-card.

And does arma derext 10 compatible??

I cant spend to munch money. what do i need to buy for that 600 doller windows vista computer. A new psu??

And is that all i need to run that G-card.

And does arma derext 10 compatible??

no arma is dx9

the only way to keep it cheap is to build it your own hand, but you have to do a lots of homework to work out which HW is your best buy

edit: simple idea are to get a E4300, O/C it into E6600 level(only drawback by the tiny L2 cache) get yourself a reasonable priced MB, get 1GB of DDRII ram (running 512 MB twin), then you have a PC which can runs vista, now if you want to play arma with vista, then its better off buy at less 2 GB ram and a mid range video card, and i can tell you that it still wont run the game very well(vista problem)

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! so i have cant run arma then!! crazy_o.gifcrazy_o.gifcrazy_o.gifmad_o.gifmad_o.gifsad_o.gifgoodnight.gif

So what do you guys recomend. i get Cysis and then buy ofp2

Or i should just get arma and spend less money on upgrades

no you have miss the point here,

you sure can use dx10 card to play arma, and you sure can use a mid-low spec computer to play arma, just use xp and dont think about vista(its not for gaming so far)

point is that if you really want to have less money to get better performance you just dont trust companys like "Hells" or "Harry Potter"

ACER things is good through, just needed some upgrades

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! so i have cant run arma then!! crazy_o.gifcrazy_o.gifcrazy_o.gifmad_o.gifmad_o.gifsad_o.gifgoodnight.gif

So what do you guys recomend. i get Cysis and then buy ofp2

Or i should just get arma and spend less money on upgrades

No, a DirectX 10 card can play a DirectX 9 or DirectX 8 (etc.) game, so theres no problem there. The DirectX 10 cards just happen to be very fast so they'll run DirectX 9 games better than dedicated DirectX 9 cards.

Edit: Theres no need for overclocked Core 2 Duos, that Athlon X2 should keep things ticking over at speed.

my friend give me the base today, a bit cheaper then i think it would been, so all i need is to wait till weekend(must be it cause the long holiday starts from sunday, allmost all shops closes for good) to get myself a display, choose between 8800GTS and X1950 PRO, any ideas? confused_o.gif

500W PSU BTW wink_o.gif

BTW E4300 are created to give ppl a greater piece of beef with less money(really you just dont want to choose a Celeron, even if it is dual core), and are mean to be OC like hell confused_o.gif

choose between 8800GTS and X1950 PRO, any ideas? confused_o.gif

Why are you even considering a DX9 card when you can get the DX10 card? If you choose the X1950Pro then I will fly to whatever country you are in just to slap you crazy_o.gif !

8800 is the obvious choice tounge2.gif .

choose between 8800GTS and X1950 PRO, any ideas? confused_o.gif

Why are you even considering a DX9 card when you can get the DX10 card? If you choose the X1950Pro then I will fly to whatever country you are in just to slap you  crazy_o.gif !

8800 is the obvious choice  tounge2.gif .

cause:

a: i am not a nV fan and

b: i like the visual effect on ATI better

while it might sounds good to have 8800, i might just wait till R600 to see who is doing the best job, and i need a kit allow me to play games while not too prize for any future upgrade

What sort of 500W PSU are you getting? What do you mean by the ATi having "Better visual quality"? Surely the much faster nVidia car d will allow you to have better quality graphics in the game? Must be the first person who Ive ever heard recommending or prefering ATI over nVidia, alot of people have had bad experience with Ati cards...

I do not recommend NorthQ, I've had a few problems with those PSUs confused_o.gif

BTW, here is Gamespot's Hands-on review of the Geforce 8800 GTS vs. several types of 8800-cards

and a Radeon X1950 XTX 512MB card.

Worth taking a look at thumbs-up.gif

EDIT: Quick answer at the moment; 8800 GTS obviously! But if you want to wait you got the ATI cards coming up in March ( ! )

Oh, and be aware that Nvidia is launching there 8900-serie in just a short while.

This is a card war you don't want to miss biggrin_o.gif

What sort of 500W PSU are you getting? What do you mean by the ATi having "Better visual quality"? Surely the much faster nVidia car d will allow you to have better quality graphics in the game? Must be the first person who Ive ever heard recommending or prefering ATI over nVidia, alot of people have had bad experience with Ati cards...

its just the way they handle the colour and stuff etc, slight difference between them, and maybe cause the fact that i dont have a single problem on both my ATI

so 8800 then, but the GTR verson is way too expensive i think, and the GTS 320 MB version is just.......... confused_o.gif

better looking for a 640 MB version

@operation madman

really, dont do it m8, save up and get a much better rig then this, go get a part time job or what if you can, for all our sakes confused_o.gif

and the GTS 320 MB version is just.......... confused_o.gif

better looking for a 640 MB version

Theres nothing wrong with a 320MB instead of 640MB. The amount of Graphics RAM really isnt that important except for certain situations. Besides, most cards work fine with only 256MB of ram

as seen in a previous thread.. i have aproblem with my DVI.. i have a hyundai P91D TFT monitor and when i connect to my X800GTO GFx card via DVI, i see no output except a message saging no signal.. when installing the drivers, they seem to install by default the Analog drivers, and i dont know how to install the digital ones anyway.. any help appreciated.

The Graphics card should be able to use DVI out of the box with no drivers installed. Theres obviously something wrong with either the graphics card or the monitor

I need a computer that is less then 500 dollers

Sorry mate, you cant get a computer that is good for modern games for less than about 800-1000. You'll just have to save up confused_o.gif

I need a computer that is less then 500 dollers

Well, either you need to buy some parts and reuse alot of your old PC, or you need to save money, i cant really recommend a whole PC which can play ArmA properly for 500$