Sign in to follow this  
Victor_S.

PC Discussion Thread - All PC related in here.

Sorry, I did not bother to read all the replies to the question I wish to ask.

I'm looking to buy a new computer in the next 2-3 weeks and wanted an opinion regarding processors. Do you think it's better to get the AMD 64, or 2.4 dual processors?

thanks smile_o.gif

Ok I just got my new computer (E6300, HIS x1950pro IceQ3 turbo, 2gig DDR2 800 G.Skill) and Arma would get artifacts after like 5 minutes playing, then computer restart 2 seconds later, all the time.

It appears to be a CPU or GPU overheating issue as far as I can tell. That video artifacts seems like GPU overheating, the reboots seems like CPU issues (or possibly ATI GPU rebooting?).

I'm looking to buy a new computer in the next 2-3 weeks and wanted an opinion regarding processors. Do you think it's better to get the AMD 64, or 2.4 dual processors?

thanks smile_o.gif

From a performance perspective I'd suggest an Intel E6x00 based system, if it is not against some relegious or personal preferences.

Otherwise it should be a dual core (Athlon X2 if I am not mistaken).

thanks smile_o.gif

From a performance perspective I'd suggest an Intel E6x00 based system, if it is not against some relegious or personal preferences.

Otherwise it should be a dual core (Athlon X2 if I am not mistaken).

The Intel E6X00's (or Core 2 Duo, or Conroe) are all dual core processors, and they all wipe the floor with the entire AMD range. Even the base E6300 will keep pace with the AMD FX-62 when overclocked (which it does really well).

If you start with something more "midrange", like the E6400 or the E6600, then you're gonna be flying.

That and the Conroe's are much cheaper than the top end Athlons.

Whats Better:

Two BFG GeForce 7950 GT / 512MB using SLI

OR

One BFG GeForce 8800 GTX / 768MB

Good question.

I'm guessing the 8800GTX would be the overal fastest solution, but probably not if the game has good SLI-support.

Go with what your wallet tells you.

Good question.

I'm guessing the 8800GTX would be the overal fastest solution, but probably not if the game has good SLI-support.

Go with what your wallet tells you.

Well theres about $300 in price difference. And i'm talking more towards Armed Assault ^_^

I think I get the best for processor and memory, the E6700 and 4gb ram - that should hold me over for a while. It better dang sure run AA.

it would but dont call it AA lol it can also mean Allied Assault or Americas Army wink_o.gif

I really wanna build a great PC for ArmA using a BFG GeForce 8800 GTX / 768MB, i'd probably spend up to $2500 or somethin and then give this PC to my parents i dunno. Is it possible to take my geniune Windows XP off this CPU and put it on a new one? i'd rather not spend another $200-300 for another >_< Anywho, got any ideas on what I could put in?

Take the HD from your current computer to the new one.

Simple, yet effective

tounge2.gif

Oh, but if it is an OEM-version of Win XP, you're not allowed to.

But then again, who'll notice whistle.gif

wink_o.gif

Simple, yet effective

tounge2.gif

The last time I checked, if you run Windows off a hard disk on another PC, Windows will crash and refuse to load up, am I wrong?

Simple, yet effective

tounge2.gif

The last time I checked, if you run Windows off a hard disk on another PC, Windows will crash and refuse to load up, am I wrong?

Last time when most of my PC died (mobo, CPU, VGA) i salvaged my ram and HD and put them in my current PC which has a different mobo/CPU/VGA. Windows wanted to be reactivated, but it worked fine smile_o.gif

I just noticed the bit that said "Not allowed with OEM Windows". That would explain. Mmm....Guess you learn something new everyday.

Simple, yet effective

tounge2.gif

I've done this before and I just got a prompt that asked me to reactivate windows. I did so and it worked fine.

Well some time ago I changed motherboard to a different make and model due to a failure in the old motherboard. The computer has both Windows XP and Debian GNU/Linux installed. Windows XP gave me Blue Screen of Death in reboot. Debian gave me a nice startup, everything worked fine except hard disk drives were working in a slower PIO-mode instead of faster UDMA-mode (that I got corrected, forgot how). So a motherboard change can indeed make booting into Windows much harder... I think it's because Windows expects to see the same chipset in the motherboard that was there at the time of installation of Windows, and if it is not there, problems will arise. But a Linux with a generic kernel (not compiled for a certain chipset only) will detect the chipset when booting and thus has less problems, if any. This is only speculation about Windows, I don't know for sure if it will detect new chipsets or not, but it certainly didn't do it with my computer.

hmmm i was thinkin of getting a new cpu fan [its really loud, it says 45 dba or something i think]

But when I look at all these Fans, it says something about Socket? How do I find out what Socket that I have, i have a P4 3.0 =/ would it be that 478 one? I have no idea how to check >.<

This is the CPU fan i have right now: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applica....tId=801

This is the one I wanna get:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applica....83-1038

I dunno if it would fit or anything like that >_<

The new solution you want is a multi-socket solution (like most 3rd party coolers - zalman, coolermaster etc)

It comes with different parts for each type of processor socket/mount, which you will be able to identify by comparing the mounting instructions in the manual with the hardware in your pc (once you have removed the existing fan/heatsink)

So buy with confidence, and take care when performing the change and it'll go fine smile_o.gif

Well I just recently replaced my old optical drive with a new Optiarc DVD RW AD-7173A. My old one could play CD's but not DVD's. That's why I replaced it with the optiarc.

Now my Optiarc can play DVD's fine but not CD's. When I insert the CD for any game, it doesnt autorun, so I click on the shortcut for the game and I get an error message saying "Please insert the correct CD-ROM and retry." And I do have the correct CD-ROM in.

Does anyone know whats wrong with it?

I just got ArmA, but my good ol' r9550 just won't do.

The cards within my reach are:

Geforce 7600 GS

GeForce 6800 XT

Radeon x800 gto

all AGP

Which would you recommend?

@ 9MM - I had a 9200 and upgraded that to a GeForce 7600 GS 512MB and it's been running everything fine, OFP, Hitman, BF2 and it will probably run ArmA good enough. If I was you I would definitely go with the 7600 GS.

I guess i'll pass on x800gto and focus on nvidia. I checked various tests and in most of them 6800 gs did better that 7600 gs, we'll see.

Hey maybe someone in here can help me out. I bought my PC about a year ago so that it could handle Oblivion on High settings which is does very well

Specs: AMD Sempron 3100+ OC'ed to 2.0GHZ

Asus 754 Salmon Mobo (Bios locked)

1 GB Ram

Nvidia Geforce 6800 GS 256 Mb AGP

80 Gig HD (10 free)

250 watt Power Supply

Needless to say this rig wont do much for Arma which is in the mail as we speak. Today I shelled out $65 for a 485 watt PS. With about $400 to spend, what could I possibly upgrade to get up to Arma's medium settings? At first I thought maybe an Athlon 3800+ a new Mobo but then I realized that a new Mobo would probably be PCI-Xpress negating my video card. Also, I've heard that switching from a 32 bit(sempron) to a 64-bit(Athlon) would ruin the files on my HD and possibly cost me Windows as well- DOH!

Confused? Hell I am! Any feedback would be very helpful to me as the PC merchants in this part of the world still speak in DOS.

I've heard that switching from a 32 bit(sempron) to a 64-bit(Athlon) would ruin the files on my HD and possibly cost me Windows as well

This is not true at all.

It doesnt matter if you switch from any 32bit CPU to any 64bit CPU. Your files remain the same and untouched. You can still run 32bit Windows on a 64bit CPU. I do it and I assume most people with a 64bit CPU run 32bit WinXP. Not much to gain by going to 64bit Windows yet. Its rather the opposite right now with reduced performance in games. This will probably change over time when driver-support matures.

You're in a pickle with that budget and current HW. A new mobo might most likely require a new videocard (PCI-e) but on the other hand, that 6800GS wont do Arma too much good either. If you absolutely cant afford a new videocard but you can buy a new CPU and motherboard, I'd go with a s775 motherboard with AGP and a Core 2 Duo E6300. But I'm not sure if any C2D-compatible motherboard support DDR RAM. I think they all require DDR2.

Well thats good to hear about the 32-64 bit changeover. I googled "upgrading Sempron 3100" and on one tech forum, Tom's Hardware I believe, someone stated that you would lose all of your old files - something to do with Bios, others refuted that. In that case i found:

Asus A8N5x Nvidia Socket 939 ATX Mobo bundled with AMD Athlon 64 3700 2.2 GHZ OEM(?) for $149.99 - Tiger Direct

That would leave me with $250.00 which I could definately score a 7900 GS grapics card and maybe a 512 ram DDR2 if necessary, what do you think?

You dont lose your files, you just need to reinstall windows after chanching cpu. There is a way to upgrade cpu and run the old windows, but it was fairly complicated iirc. yay.gif