Sign in to follow this  
Victor_S.

PC Discussion Thread - All PC related in here.

Hey DS smile_o.gif .

I suppose that could be read has the max ram a process/app can use in XP is 2 gigs but honestly i cant think of anything using that much, for now 2 gig seems quite enough (imo).

Quote[/b] ]for now 2 gig seems quite enough

Well, sometimes it is always handy to have something extra...

*Runs CS2 (with big layered PSDs), O2(2) and other modeling/mapping programs, internet, resources,...etc.

But i agree it might be overkill although it can't hurt i guess (apart from the extra cost).

Ohwell, time will tell...

Now that was some expensive shit.

And, I mean it. Shit.

crazy_o.gif

Quick question: I am planning a new computer, but I want prices to drop until then.

For some in-between-solution I´d like to get myself a powerful AGP card so I can pump up Arma a bit.

What is a good AGP card to get games running fluent.

Currently I have the ATI 9700 Pro running.

Any suggestions ?

Any suggestions ?

Yeah, don't wink_o.gif

If you're waiting for prices to come down, do NOT be buying anything, AGP, PCI-E oe whatever until after xmas. Prices are pushed up now because there is much greater demand for stuff, and the retailers can get away with it. I've seen the X1950XTX go from ~Å220 up to ~Å300 in the last week.

Also, whilst there are some fairly powerful AGP cards out there, buying a top of the line AGP card (which will usually only bench in the higher mid level of PCI-E cards) as a "gap filler" seems like a waste of money to me.

IMHO you'd be better off sticking with the 9700Pro and waiting a month until prices drop again for a new PC.

Ok sad_o.gif

It´s just so hard to keep the feet still with Arma on the harddrive biggrin_o.gif

Maybe I can make a good shot at Ebay.

That's why I acted and ordered a new card for my PC, though I don't plan for a new system anytime soon.

Anyway, here in Germany (knowing that you live somewhere in the bavarian Hinterland  tounge2.gif ) we have now the special situation that with the new year we will get a 3% increase of the VAT (Mehrwertsteuer). My assumption ( !!! ) is that most (german) retailers will have that already in their current prices to come next year and say '... look, we didn't increase prices despite new taxes...'  banghead.gif

But I agree with DeadMeat, if you plan for a new system in the foreseeable future (read: <3-6 month) I'd safe the money.

Hello,

Im getting a new comp. in januray and a wonder if there is anyone else who have similar specs:

Dual 2 Core 2.4 Ghz x2

2014Mb DDR2

Nvidia Geforce 7900 GTX 512mb

Dont remember the soundcard...

And then i get this HUGE 29'' screen with the computer.

And second, do you think it will run bad - good - better - best with these specs ?

Borg out. pistols.gif

Quote[/b] ]Dual 2 Core 2.4 Ghz x2

2014Mb DDR2

Well my homble 2cent...

2014Mb DDR2

All fine (mid/high rig) for reasonable money..

BUT HUGE 29" screen!!!

Well, if you plan to run it not more then 1280x1024, i don't see any problem. Well at least not before you did a GOOD search on what 29" you will be buying. i mean widescreen (if they have that in 29"), but especially read reviews mate...1:1 pixels scaling and running lower resolutions on high resolution screens.

When you talk about 29" we are taking about 2500x1600 screens (unless you have previous gen LCD tvs like i have with a limitation of max. 1280x1024 afaik, but those aren't meant for PC use due to response etc).

I just mean, it is great to have a big a** screen (my dream is triple 22" tounge2.gif ) but with that system you will be limited to play at a normal resolution and then i don't see the point in spending that amount of money on a 29" (afaik it is 30" for LCD pc monitors by the way..like Dell, LG or was it NEC and apple). But we are talking around 2.000€ afaik for a good one.

To power those ones at good resolutions (2500x1600 ->HD) then you need a good SLI system. Here will come the 8800GTX/GTS very handy..and that is the power of SLI. They benefit once you reach that resolution.

I don't want to burst your bobble, but my conclusion regarding 29"/30" si you will need SLI with latest gen. GPU cards if you want to make use of those screens.

And on the other hand if you go SLI way with high end cards, your CPU will be the botthleneck here. So you will need the latest gen. CPU aswell biggrin_o.gif .

Not sure what the plan of 29" is (multi media at HD resolution - or just for the looks at low resolution - or modeling/texturing and other use that requires the room). Just mean, for me it is useless. 2500x1600 is great (more room/pixels over smaller screens), but for me as modeler/texturer in the end it doesn't really gives you much 'usefull or userfriendly' room imho. That is why i still think triple monitors are 'the' best and usefull solution.

Downside, unless you go the Matrox triplehead2go box (with max. 3840x1024 resolution on VGA confused_o.gif but with SLI) or dual GPU without SLI, this isn't really supported by windows/hardware. Very sad (as we come at the time where it is possible, more or less), but i guess the market for it is just to small and to expensive for most people...

Here end my 2cent..please insert your 2cent to continue wink_o.gif

Added forum link for free with good reports and users reviews:

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/index.php

Go with a smaller screen (19" is usually enough), change the CPU to a E6600 or higher (but E6600 is well enough, and farely easy to OC, even on standard cooling). The 7900GTX is really good, my friend has it, his ArmA on like 4k WD only laggs when we dropped 100+ Army 4x4's on him, but that's probably cause he only got one gig o ram whistle.gif

Otherwise it's a good setup.

BTW; At what speed does the Ram go? 800Mhz or lower (higher maybe)?

Hello,

Im getting a new comp. in januray and a wonder if there is anyone else who have similar specs:

Dual 2 Core 2.4 Ghz x2

2014Mb DDR2

And second, do you think it will run bad - good - better - best with these specs ?

Borg out. pistols.gif

It will lag... if you run the game at 10 000 meters of viewdistance.

however IMO it's no big difference between 10 000 and 4000 beacuse the terrain is blocking the view anyway.

and BTW JW. my computer lagged beacuse you put all the jeeps on a spot that was less than 10 m2. and BTW my computer was fragged as hell tounge2.gif

Well i have now checked up exactly what system specs. i will get !

Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6600

• 2 x 2,40 GHz, Level 2-cache on 4 MB, 1066 MHz

2Gb DDR2 SDRAM

500 GB (2 x 250 GB) HD + 300 Gb USB HD.

NVIDIA® GeForce™ 7900 GTX with PureVideo-teknik (512mb)

Creative Sound Blaster® X-Fi 7.1

Windows XP

notworthy.gif

Looks good that you brag about it in your signature, but if you read the rules, you'd know it voilates the rules.

welcome.gif to the forums wink_o.gif

Looks good that you brag about it in your signature, but if you read the rules, you'd know it voilates the rules.

I edited your sig, Borg. Read the rules if you're unsure about anything smile_o.gif

C2D E6700.

XFX GF7950GX2

Kingston 2x1GB RAM

3x250GB Seagate SATA2 drives

Adaptec 2420SA RAID controller

Asus P5B motherboard with onboard 10/100/1000 ethernet

Soundblaster X-FI Fatality

Do you know if the 8800GTX is compatible with the Asus P5B you have? I've read that the GTX model (unlike the GTS) requires 2 pci-e slots confused_o.gif .

Do you know if the 8800GTX is compatible with the Asus P5B you have? I've read that the GTX model (unlike the GTS) requires 2 pci-e slots confused_o.gif .

Its a single card so it shouldnt require more than one PCI-e slot. Are you sure they didnt say it occupy the neighbouring PCI slot due to a large fan/heatzink?

Thats how it is with the 7950GX2 but it uses only the one PCI-e slot but blocks the PCI slot next to it.

Its a single card so it shouldnt require more than one PCI-e slot. Are you sure they didnt say it occupy the neighbouring PCI slot due to a large fan/heatzink?

Thats how it is with the 7950GX2 but it uses only the one PCI-e slot but blocks the PCI slot next to it.

Youre wright, i dont know where i picked that from.

Maybe it was a confusion with the power cables since the GTX is longer but not "fatter".

As with the 7900GTX, but I'd guess my friend (who got one) can squeeze another one in, just that the fan of the top one would have a few millimeters to get air in.

His MoBo looks like this:

------------------------------------------

| PCI-E |

| PCI |

| PCI-E |

| PCI |

| PCI |

------------------------------------------

Though, there are watercooled 8800GTX from BFG Tech, wich probably doesn't use a fan at all (just the 'water' ), so then a MoBo cud probably hold 2 w/o any probs.

JW

smile_o.gif

EDIT: Oh, and I also think that the 8800GTX take 2 spots. It's freakin' huge!

As with the 7900GTX, but I'd guess my friend (who got one) can squeeze another one in, just that the fan of the top one would have a few millimeters to get air in.

Thats not an issue with these cards. They are designed to stack up very tight (they have to considering the space-requirements). The fans suck in air from the sides, not from the top (or bottom if you like) center of the fan.

My GX2 suck in air from the outside and blow it through the heatzinks and into my computer, keeping it nice and warm on a cold winter day crazy_o.gif

Idle temp in the chassis is only 47c icon_rolleyes.gif

But I dont care right now as long as its silent. Just not looking forward to a hot summer when this box will cooperate with the sun on heating the room.

I edited your sig, Borg. Read the rules if you're unsure about anything smile_o.gif

Oh okey, sorry.

Thanks for telling me smile_o.gif Do you want me to remove that sig?

[OT]

Do like this instead:

"

| Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6600 2 x 2,40 GHz, Level 2-cache on 4 MB, 1066 MHz | 2Gb DDR2 SDRAM | 500 GB (2 x 250 GB) HD + 300 Gb USB HD | NVIDIA® GeForce™ 7900 GTX with PureVideo-teknik (512mb) | Creative Sound Blaster® X-Fi 7.1 | Windows XP |

"

It'll keep the space needed down smile_o.gif

EDIT: Where are you from, btw?

[/OT]

Ok I just got my new computer (E6300, HIS x1950pro IceQ3 turbo, 2gig DDR2 800 G.Skill) and Arma would get artifacts after like 5 minutes playing, then computer restart 2 seconds later, all the time.

I thought it was Arma only. I then installed Fear Combat and put all settings to maximum:

After like 30 seconds this is what I got:

bug2.jpg

bug3.jpg

bug.jpg

I had the driver from HIS' website (version 6.9). So i tried the latest ones from Ati's website (Catalyst 9.11). Exact same results.

Should I RMA the card? Or could it be something else?

My complete config is:

Quote[/b] ]- Core 2 Duo E6300

- Asus P5B Socket T Intel P965

- HIS X1950Pro IceQ3 Turbo Dual DL-DVI VIVO 256MB PCIe

- G.SKILL (2 x 1Gb) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

- SAMSUNG SpinPoint P Series 250 Gb 7,200 Sata

- Western Digital Raptor 74 Go 10,000 Rpm Sata

- Samsung 18x DVD R DVD Burner with LightScribe Technology

- NZXT Trinity ATX with NZXT 400 W

- Aerocool Silverlightning 120 mm and Aerocool Xtreme Turbine 120mm

I never RMAed with newegg. Hoepfully it is a smooth process.