Sign in to follow this  
Victor_S.

PC Discussion Thread - All PC related in here.

Yeah, just make sure that the motherboard is a steady one, not a crappy like 25 euro piece-of-sheit..

Otherwise, save up a month, or cut down on the CPU, but as EiZei said, I'd def. go for a Conroe (Intel Core 2 Duo)

Yeah, just make sure that the motherboard is a steady one, not a crappy like 25 euro piece-of-sheit..

Yup, saving less than 50 euros on mobos caused me huge headaches for the last two years. No problems with my ASUS Nforce one at all. yay.gifyay.gif

Guest Ti0n3r

I'm thinking about getting myself a XFX GeForce 8800GTS. So, does anyone know if this card works on Windows XP? (I heard something about it requiring Windows Vista).

Edit: Solved

I'm thinking about getting myself a XFX GeForce 8800GTS. So, does anyone know if this card works on Windows XP? (I heard something about it requiring Windows Vista).

How on earth could it require an operating system that you cant get legally in most cases? crazy_o.gif

How on earth could it require an operating system that you cant get legally in most cases? crazy_o.gif

Yeah, in Sweden we're due to get it late january, but of course, there are ways to get it.

But, I wouldn't dream of the card requering Vista. Perhaps some of the software is specially made for Vista and is intended for full compatiblity when it's released.

Check here (XFX homepage -> 8800GTS)

JW

smile_o.gif

The 8800 is hardware compatible wih Vista (dx10) but it doesnt NEED it.

I've seen plenty of people on other forums using 8800's in XP. Drivers are still somewhat dodgy tho.

The problem with the 8800GTS & 8800GTX is that their new technology is best supported by DX10, which is supposed to be limited to Windows Vista. So only with Windows Vista you can fully benefit from the new architecture of these DX10 GPUs (this would also be valid for other upcoming DX10 GPUs, e.g. from ATI/AMD).

However, that does not mean that these cards are limited to a Windows Vista computers, they just can't be run to their full capabilities. Guru3D 8800GTS & GTX test (I strongly recommend to read the first pages of the article to get an idea of all the changes, e.g. also the evolution from DX8 to DX10 on page 4)

Quote[/b] ]..., Microsoft is highlighting the DX10 API as God's gift to the gaming universe yet what they forget to mention is that all developers who support DX10 will have to continue supporting DirectX9 as well and thus maintain two versions of the rendering code in their engine as DXD10 is only available on Windows Vista and not XP, which is such a drama.

You heard the rumors and it's false, DirectX 9.0L will NOT make Windows XP DX10 compatible as it is the other way around, if you have DirectX 9 hardware, you will be using DirectX 9.0L as your API in Windows Vista. With that statement you also need to realize that a DX10 card like the G80 is fully DX9 compatible!

However, you can understand that from a game developer point of view it brings a considerable amount of additional workload and cost to PC game development until Vista finally becomes mainstream.

Already hears screaming for DX10 support of ArmA upon its release in the 505 domain whistle.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Ok thx for the advice. I will pop in later on with some specific setups.

Do you overclock, do you want SLI compatbility, onboard sound, etc? Im looking at the P5B's + E6400 to be well inside your budgett but it would be worth if you could put the extra € 100 on the E6600 (around €320).

Let us know what you find smile_o.gif .

Quote[/b] ]Ti0n3r: XFX GeForce 8800GTS

Little suggestion (from what i read the last few days). I would suggest the EVGA one, as you get lifetime warrenty, also 'apperently' if you overclock it. Also 'apperently' they have some kind of deal that when a new videocard is out within 90days of your purchase, you can send yours back and get the newer one (offcourse the extra price needs to be paid..not sure..read it on a forum..guess extra price atm of new order and not on your price you paid when you first bought it..).

I'll maybe go for the EVGA myself. Not sure if i will watercool my system or not (anybody experience...with alges :s...). BFG has came with a watercooled 8800GTX (stock/fan versions tend to get pretty hot i heard). Very expensive card though, but i'm planning (if i go watercooled) to purchase the DangerDen waterblock (same that comes on the BFG one). Still expensive at 135€ (without shipment/taxes :s)....will see though.

Little suggestion (from what i read the last few days). I would suggest the EVGA one, as you get lifetime warrenty, also 'apperently' if you overclock it. Also 'apperently' they have some kind of deal that when a new videocard is out within 90days of your purchase, you can send yours back and get the newer one (offcourse the extra price needs to be paid..not sure..read it on a forum..guess extra price atm of new order and not on your price you paid when you first bought it..).

I'll maybe go for the EVGA myself. Not sure if i will watercool my system or not (anybody experience...with alges :s...). BFG has came with a watercooled 8800GTX (stock/fan versions tend to get pretty hot i heard). Very expensive card though, but i'm planning (if i go watercooled) to purchase the DangerDen waterblock (same that comes on the BFG one). Still expensive at 135€ (without shipment/taxes :s)....will see though.

I can't really recommend it, I have their card and it's faulty, I get freezes in all games after a short time (By some weird luck, OFP,ArmA and Brigade E5 work fine). I contacted their customer support, but their Euro supports is really really bad, and they provided very little help, so I'm stuck with this one for the next 2 years, it's not like I can shell out money every few days on a new card, expect good support only if you're in the US.

I can't really recommend it, I have their card and it's faulty, I get freezes in all games after a short time (By some weird luck, OFP,ArmA and Brigade E5 work fine). I contacted their customer support, but their Euro supports is really really bad, and they provided very little help, so I'm stuck with this one for the next 2 years, it's not like I can shell out money every few days on a new card, expect good support only if you're in the US.

Hmm, they all suck in that department anyway... are you sure the card is faulty confused_o.gif?

I've just ordered a new comp.

Athlon 64 3500 (AM2)

1GB 667mhz DDr Ram (512 x 2)

256mb GeForce 7600GT

Gigabyte GA--M555-S3 ATX Motherboard

160GB 7200rpm HArd Drive.

All for Å527.72

I've just ordered a new comp.

Athlon 64 3500 (AM2)

Where they out of Core 2 Duos? biggrin_o.gif

I'm sure you could find a better performing Intel-based PC for less money these days. No offense but the Athlon 3500 is getting old.

Ah c'mon, a new breed of Athlons are coming (not that I know of, but come on, we can see it coming), and the Athlons (and Semprons :/ ) are like halfprice now.

C2D still pwns them though smile_o.gif

tounge2.gif

And 7600 GT isnt terribly new and powerful these day either. wink_o.gif

Ok, now christmas coming up, gonna' work a bit and probably get some money for christmas smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Super-hyper-über-compz0rz-omfg-133t-h4xx

tounge2.gif

MoBo: ASUS P5L-MX I945G SOCKET 775 VGA M-ATX

PSU: COOLER MASTER EXTREME POWER ATX12V 2.0 600W

CPU: E6600

Mem.: CORSAIR 1GB DDR2 PC5300 667MHZ CL4

HDD: WESTERN DIGITAL RE-2 160GB SATA/300 16MB

Going to work for ~2-3 months and get a good GFX for ArmA, and if I have money (or I'll just save up more) a 19" LCD.

And I'm probably gonna add in another gig of ram, or some more, but that's when I've got the money for it smile_o.gif

Thanks for input

JW

smile_o.gif

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">Dell Dimension E521 AMD Athlon? 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+

Operating System: Genuine Windows® XP Professional

Memory: 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz- 4DIMMs

Keyboard and Mouse Bundles: Dell USB Keyboard and Dell Optical USB Mouse

Monitor: 19 inch E197FP Analog Flat Panel

Video Card: 256MB ATI Radeon X1300 Pro

Hard Drive: DataSafe 250GB Secured Storage and Data Recovery Solution

Floppy Drive and Media Reader: No Floppy Drive Included

Mouse: Mouse included in Wireless, Laser or Bluetooth Package

Network: Interface Integrated 10/100 Ethernet

Modem: 56K PCI Data Fax Modem

CD ROM/DVD ROM Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + 16x DVD+/-RW

Sound Cards: Sound Blaster® X-Fi? XtremeMusic (D) Sound Card

Speakers: Dell A225 Speakers

Office Productivity Software (Pre-Installed) Microsoft Office Small Business Ed.- Basic plus PowerPoint and Publisher

Anti-Virus/Security Suite: No Security Subscription

Warranty and Service: 1Yr Ltd Warranty and At-Home Service

Enhanced Software for CD or DVD Burner Roxio Creator Plus:Burn,Copy CD Music/Data,Backup,Label(CD-RW/DVD+RW only)

Future Operating Systems Windows Vista? Capable

Upgrade to Windows Vista Express Upgrade to Windows Vista Business from XP Professional

Memory Keys 128MB Dell USB Memory Key

Price: $2,095.00

You guys may remember me asking about a computer system before. Well bottom line is that the computer I wanted is no longer purchasable and I wanted to see what you guys thought of this one.

Purpose: Armed Assault, Visitor 3, 3d Modeling, Website Design, Adobe Photoshop and maybe Game 2

What do you think?

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">Dell Dimension E521 AMD Athlon? 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+

Operating System: Genuine Windows® XP Professional

Memory: 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz- 4DIMMs

Keyboard and Mouse Bundles: Dell USB Keyboard and Dell Optical USB Mouse

Monitor: 19 inch E197FP Analog Flat Panel

Video Card: 256MB ATI Radeon X1300 Pro

Hard Drive: DataSafe 250GB Secured Storage and Data Recovery Solution

Floppy Drive and Media Reader: No Floppy Drive Included

Mouse: Mouse included in Wireless, Laser or Bluetooth Package

Network: Interface Integrated 10/100 Ethernet

Modem: 56K PCI Data Fax Modem

CD ROM/DVD ROM Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + 16x DVD+/-RW

Sound Cards: Sound Blaster® X-Fi? XtremeMusic (D) Sound Card

Speakers: Dell A225 Speakers

Office Productivity Software (Pre-Installed) Microsoft Office Small Business Ed.- Basic plus PowerPoint and Publisher

Anti-Virus/Security Suite: No Security Subscription

Warranty and Service: 1Yr Ltd Warranty and At-Home Service

Enhanced Software for CD or DVD Burner Roxio Creator Plus:Burn,Copy CD Music/Data,Backup,Label(CD-RW/DVD+RW only)

Future Operating Systems Windows Vista? Capable

Upgrade to Windows Vista Express Upgrade to Windows Vista Business from XP Professional

Memory Keys 128MB Dell USB Memory Key

Price: $2,095.00

You guys may remember me asking about a computer system before. Well bottom line is that the computer I wanted is no longer purchasable and I wanted to see what you guys thought of this one.

Purpose: Armed Assault, Visitor 3, 3d Modeling, Website Design, Adobe Photoshop and maybe Game 2

What do you think?

N0oÅŸÅŸÅŸoO00oÅŸo0O!!!

With all that dough you can get a mean custom machine with a C2D, 8800GTX card and all quality parts, even if you cant put it together stores dont usually charge that much for it.. that low end X1300 piece of poop will run Arma like a dead dog...

Do you need 4 gigs of RAM? Do you need a new monitor? Do you need windows XP again?

Good HW stores usually have a site where you can select the parts ( $ ) and print it, take it to them and talk about it!

Dont be robbed, you will spend perfectly good money on a Dell pos help.gif .

The Athlon turns me off.

So does Dell.

Don't get it, buy in parts.

A Conroe. Get it. Now

tounge2.gif

JW

smile_o.gif

EDIT: The X1300 won't do crap when it comes to good 3D modelling (especially rendering)

Hi all and Hellllp. PLEASE ! give me your advice

I am about to order that on newegg (hopefully today) But i am still totally not sure on the video card...

- Core 2 Duo E6300 181 $

- ASUS P5B Socket T (LGA 775) Intel P965 140 $

- SAPPHIRE Radeon X1950PRO 256MB GDDR3 HDCP 199 $

- SAMSUNG SpinPoint P Series 250GB 7200 SATA 70 $

- G.SKILL (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) 5-5-5-15 210$

- SAMSUNG 18X DVD±R DVD Burner 12X DVD Write 31$

- Tour NZXT Trinity with 400W 80$

- Two 120mm 22$

Total $968 including shipping

Video card: Right now i have the sapphire in the cart but

SAPPHIRE X1950PRO 256MB GDDR3 HDCP 199 $ Core clock: 580MHz & Memory Clock: 1400MHz

HIS Hightech X1950PRO 256MB GDDR3 IceQ3 Turbo HDCP $209 Core clock: 620MHz & Memory Clock: 1480MHz

HIS Hightech X1950XT 256MB GDDR3 IceQ3 Turbo HDCP VIVO Video Card $279 Core clock: 650MHz & Memory Clock: 1800MHz.

HIS website says: "HIS X1950XT IceQ 3 Turbo runs at XTX speed"

help.gif

I wanted to stay below $1000 but is the HIS x1950xt that great to blow the limit? IF not what about the HIS 1950pro ? should i stay with the cheap sapphire?

goodnight.gif Thanks

Video card: Right now i have the sapphire in the cart but

SAPPHIRE X1950PRO 256MB GDDR3 HDCP 199 $ Core clock: 580MHz & Memory Clock: 1400MHz

I'd Stick with the Sapphire... Bang for the Buck ya know..

You can ALWAYS spend more for more but in a year you are going to upgrade that card anyways.. In my opinion the $150-$200 range is the Sweet Spot for video cards...

Since everyone seems to be so anti-dell here, do any of you know of a store that is nationwide in the US where I could get one made? Do places like Best Buy or Comp USA do these kind of things. I don't know how to build one and although im sure its not really hard I don't really have the time or the patience right now to learn.

Check with a local computerstore, they'll probably do it for a smaller sum.

Otherwise, Dell is OK, still overpriced. See them as a last resort.