Sign in to follow this  
Victor_S.

PC Discussion Thread - All PC related in here.

Ironsight - I'm using a 7600 GT at the moment, and bang for buck its incredible. It runs all new games happy as larry on high settings - had the laggiest Hitman Blood Money levels running fine. I highly reccomend it if you're on a budget.

Ironsight - I'm using a 7600 GT at the moment, and bang for buck its incredible. It runs all new games happy as larry on high settings - had the laggiest Hitman Blood Money levels running fine. I highly reccomend it if you're on a budget.

Splinter Cell 4 did strain my 7600 GT quite a bit already though. sad_o.gif

My plan is to get a comp with an OK gfx to play ArmA with, then work a few months + save up + sell the OK gfx and buy meself a 8800GTX biggrin_o.gif

It's possible!

But, seriosly, is 8800GTX worth it's money? IMO, it is, but I might be a n00b.

IMO it isnt, it costs more then the entire inside (in the case) of my PC added up..

When things are just released they are always overpriced, especially now when there is no alternative. Ill wait a few months when the Dx10 cards are more reasonably priced, and when there are actually games that benefit from it. thumbs-up.gif

Do you think that kind of config could handle Arma ?

PC DELL INSPIRON 9400

Processeur Intel Core Duo 2 GHz T7200

1024 Mo RAM

ATI Mobility Radéon 256Mo dédié X1400 Hypermemory.

? ? ? ? ?

I've never seen a mobility ATI chip I could recommend for anything other than the junkheap, the rest is ok though. I tried an x1300 once and it was marginal, but due to the official lack of support and other suprises you run a high risk of getting stuck with a boat anchor.

The core duo and core 2 duo series of CPU's are highly rated for a number of reasons including cost and performance, but bear in mind that laptop versions are lite versions, generally with some sort of performance penalty. There are a few laptops that actually support full-blown desktop CPU's, but at a significant power and thermal cost.

Personally, I;d wait until a LEAST the 2nd generation of dx10 cards. Not only will that mean the usual 1st gen niggles have been sorted, but ATI will also have their cards out, so the usual "price war" will carry on too.

Splinter Cell 4 did strain my 7600 GT quite a bit already though. sad_o.gif

H:BM is very well optimised, i ran it at high settings and 1280x1024 (no post filters though) with my measly GF6...

The new splinter cell is a xbox360 port made by Ubi Shangay, i think thats why everyone (other than the media) says that it sucks, they really messed up a series that started so well.

About the GPU upgrade... it depends on what you currently have. The 8800 series might be overpriced but it will have a longer life span than a 7xxxx, i desperatly need an upgrade so i think its better to invest in future proof HW if possible wink_o.gif .

Armed Assault is the priority, i need the best quality/performance relation to run it, since i will only get in next year i might wait to see how much the prices drop after xmas wink_o.gif .

That's funny, i found mine was running happy as bob. But I also recommend it, exactly because it's good enough to enjoy all current titles but also conserve a bit of money while waiting for 2nd gen DX10 cards to become affordable, all the while hoping that PCIE remains the standard.

Thanks for the info guys. I will probably pick up my new system this weekend, add a new graphics card and I'll be ARMA-ready for the next weekend wink_o.gif

That's funny, i found mine was running happy as bob. ...

That's just because you don't know Leisure Suite Larry tounge2.gif

As I am also preparing to upgrade my (t)rusty 6600GT, though most likely not before XMas, I already tried to make a little research and posted a thread at Guru3D.

One thing to pay close attention to is/are the supported current(s) on the +12V rail(s) of your power supply, as the better cards become more and more demanding.

Also looking at the 7600GT, the main thing that I don't like about this card is that it is 'limited' to 256MB RAM (GDDR3). That's why I have a tendency toward the 7900GS which is also available with 512MB (GDDR3 as well).

Looking at the ArmA texture discussion and thinking of the future mods I'd imagine that there can't be enough texture RAM whistle.gif

Unless you have a 30" monitor. No, its far too powerful for most things, and I dont believe theres such a thing as a future-proof graphics card. Wait till they release the "8600 GT" (No talk of one as of yet, but going by the pattern...) Might also be good to wait and see what ATi has in store.

I have a ATi X1950pro, wanted to buy 7600GT before but reviews changed my mind. Very nice fast card and quite cheap too. yay.gif

No, its far too powerful for most things,

Oh rubbish. There's no such thing as a too powerful video-card. Only too high prices for the hi-end cards. wink_o.gif

How do I open a specific window by using javascript?

Right now I solve it like this

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE"> <script language="JavaScript">

<!-- Begin

function popUp_window() {

props=window.open('site1.htm', 'poppage', 'toolbars=1, scrollbars=1, location=1, statusbars=1, menubars=1, resizable=1, width=800, height=600 left = 100, top = 100');

}

// End -->

</script>

and then in the visible HTML-code

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE"> <a href="javascript:popUp_window()">

But is there a JS to open a specific window without defining it in the <HEAD>-part of the code.

I was thinking something in the ways of

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">javascript:popUp(http://www.site.com/the-page-i-want.htm)

That didn't work though tounge2.gif

help.gif

JW

Hello,

Building a new PC solely for ArmA and need some input. Please keep in mind this would be strictly used to play ArmA only, I am not building the ultimate gaming machine. Looking for the most bang for the buck, enough to play in medium-high resolution to high-high resolution and account for future patches , but not over kill. I am trying to spent the least amount of $$ to get the most enjoyment out of this game. I don’t play other PC games.

This is the config I am looking at.

SLI capatible board that supports Intel C2D

Intel D 805

1 X GF 7600 GT

2 G 4200 memory

400W PS

Seagate Barracuda 250G

TrackIR Pro

What do you guys think? Or should I just go for the gusto from the beginning?

I was thinking , with this setup , I can add another 7600GT and up it to C2D 6400 and another GB of memory as needed.

Or, should I just go for the C2D 6400, GF 7800, 7900 or even 7950 from the beginning? ( I definitely don’t need the 8800 GTX )

Heard some good and some bad with Intel Ds, same with GF7600, but they are at a really good price. And Instead of starting with 2GB of 4200s someone suggested 1GB of 6400. From what I heard 1G should be enough right? Even with 4200s?!?

All confused now… banghead.gifhuh.gifbanghead.gif

Thanks In Advance,

notworthy.gifnotworthy.gifnotworthy.gif

400W PSU is quite marginal if you intend to go to SLI, keep that in mind.

The ironic thing is that the 7950 is still costing as much (if not more) than the 8800GTX over here.

For the mobo, I reckon either a Gigabyte or ASUS offering, like the P5N32-SLI for example, but see what you can get for a reasonable price.

I always thought 2GB RAM beat the crap out of 1GB, even despite a higher clock speed (unless we're talking like 200MHz DDR vs. 800MHz DDR II).

thanks CameronMcDonald smile_o.gif

I understand 400W PSU is not enough to run SLI , but I got couple of spares lying around, so I don't need to spend extra $$ for a 600 W + PSU right now biggrin_o.gif

my thought exactly on the memory, but this guy insist on that 1GB of 6400 is comparable to 2G of 4200... perhaps I have been misinformed sad_o.gif

Building a new system I would suggest to take a 79xx card, benefitting from more Pixel+Vertex Pipelines and the increased memory bandwidth.(Sometimes exaggerated) 7900GS vs. 7600GT SLi comparison

Up to you whether the ~50€ more is worth it though...

CPU should definatly be a C2D.

Regarding the PSU you might want to make sure that it at least comes close to special requirements, e.g. regarding +12V currents of ~22A for the 79xx cards. (though I think this value is based on the requirements for the high end cards)

...this guy insist on that 1GB of 6400  is comparable to 2G of 4200...

Its the other way around. Having fast but limited amount of RAM is not better than having "enough" RAM. The speed difference is so minor it doesnt matter as opposed to having more resources available.

The sportscar is 1GB RAM. The van is 2GB RAM. You're moving alot of stuff from A to B.

Driving from A to B in a sportscar 3 times where one trip takes 5 minutes is not more efficient than driving from A to B in a van one time only where the trip takes 10 minutes. Hope that makes sense.

Hey guys, what do you think about this configuration? I'm going to purchase a new PC just for ArmA and I would like to know your opinion:

Case

Antec Performance One P150EC + 430w Power Supply

CPU

Intel Core 2 duo e6400 + fan

Motherboard

Abit AB9

RAM

2x Corsair DDR2 1GB 533mhz No Parity

HD

SAMSUNG SATA II 300gb 7200rpm

VGA

ATI Sapphire X1950pro 256 GDDR3 Avivo HDTV

Cooling

CPU Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 pro

VGA Zalman vf700 CU

2x Noiseblocker SE2 9cm fan

Other

SAMSUNG SH-S182D 18X DVD±RW DualLayer

Floppy

Thank you. smile_o.gif

Klavan

I'd say that the E6600 is more worth it's money.

Otherwise sounds like a good setup.

...this guy insist on that 1GB of 6400 is comparable to 2G of 4200...

Its the other way around. Having fast but limited amount of RAM is not better than having "enough" RAM. The speed difference is so minor it doesnt matter as opposed to having more resources available.

The sportscar is 1GB RAM. The van is 2GB RAM. You're moving alot of stuff from A to B.

Driving from A to B in a sportscar 3 times where one trip takes 5 minutes is not more efficient than driving from A to B in a van one time only where the trip takes 10 minutes. Hope that makes sense.

perfect sense!! excellent analogy.

hmmm...might as well go with the high end config from the getgo and be done and happy with it.

No guts , no glory yay.gif

Thanks guys!! notworthy.gif