Sign in to follow this  
Victor_S.

PC Discussion Thread - All PC related in here.

i cant typé pRopéR1y éách tíMé í pRéss á kéy it Dóés sóMéthíng StúpíD, whén i pRéss L it LógsóFF, whén i pRéss é it goés to "My cóMpútér" étc étc í hávé to c+p woRDs to typé this, pLz héLp, iM nót jóking ppL sad_o.gif

edit: restarted pc, alls fine now smile_o.gif

If anyone is looking for a network traffic monitor, I highly recommend this one:

http://www.kctoolbox.tk/

Thanks for that tip BergHoff, I didn't realize I could do that. I'll have to find something else to whine about now.

i cant typé pRopéR1y éách tíMé í pRéss á kéy it Dóés sóMéthíng StúpíD, whén i pRéss L it LógsóFF, whén i pRéss é it goés to "My cóMpútér" étc étc í hávé to c+p woRDs to typé this, pLz héLp, iM nót jóking ppL sad_o.gif

edit: restarted pc, alls fine now smile_o.gif

Well, when read in Czech aloud, this is really hilarious. rofl.gif

You got English KeyBorat, right? MAybe it swaps to something else?

i cant typé pRopéR1y éách tíMé í pRéss á kéy it Dóés sóMéthíng StúpíD, whén i pRéss L it LógsóFF, whén i pRéss é it goés to "My cóMpútér" étc étc í hávé to c+p woRDs to typé this, pLz héLp, iM nót jóking ppL  sad_o.gif

edit: restarted pc, alls fine now  smile_o.gif

Sounds like your windows key was stuck wink_o.gif

(press windows+L and you logoff, windows+e opens 'my computer' etc wink_o.gif )

How's this for a workstation?

Quote[/b] ]TYAN TEMPEST I5000XT DUAL XEON PCI-E E-ATX

INTEL XEON 5140 DUAL CORE 2.33GHZ 1333MHZ S-771 2U

DIMM DDR2 2GB PC2-6400 800MHZ KIT (2X1GB), KVR

WESTERN DIGITAL RAPTOR 36.7GB 10000RPM SATA/150

PNY QUADRO FX 1500 256MB GDDR3 2XDVI PCI-E

Plus some additional cooling

Lands at about 2500 euro, but this is supposed to be a workstation for mostly 3D- and 2D-software.

Should anything be changed?

JW

smile_o.gif

*whups, my bad, the mobo doesn't support that mem, but nvm, that's the approx list tounge2.gif *

Err... Yes?

You know, it could be kind of useful if you actually explained what's wrong with those 36.7GB........

Err... Yes?

You know, it could be kind of useful if you actually explained what's wrong with those 36.7GB........

Well, considering an average user can easily fill a 80GB disk these days.. tounge2.gif

You obviously have no idea what kind of advantages a Raptor 10.000RPM hard drive has on performance when used as the system drive.

Slower drives can be used for storage.

Quote[/b] ]Built for speed! WD Raptor is a unique class of hard drives that matches SCSI reliability and performance while providing simplified connectivity - all at a lower cost than Parallel SCSI drives. WD Raptor maintains the high standards, while lowering the cost of enterprise data storage.

They could also be using attached storage of some variety, running only the OS and a couple of core applicaions from the onboard drive.

I have two workstations coming, each one configured like this:

Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon "Woodcrest" Processors

4GB (4 x 1GB) 667mhz DDR2 Memory

250GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s

ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB (2 x dual-link DVI)

2 x 30" Widescreen LCD's

biggrin_o.gif

You obviously have no idea what kind of advantages a Raptor 10.000RPM hard drive has on performance when used as the system drive.

Slower drives can be used for storage.

Quote[/b] ]Built for speed! WD Raptor is a unique class of hard drives that matches SCSI reliability and performance while providing simplified connectivity - all at a lower cost than Parallel SCSI drives. WD Raptor maintains the high standards, while lowering the cost of enterprise data storage.

Indeed, as I want the workstation to quickly load up Maya/Photoshop or any other editing software.

Then a fast drive is good. And as I said, it's a workstation, not a gamingcomputer. The only thing that will be there is the OS + 3D/2D-software and files created there.

@Warin:

Looks like a nice setup. What's the cost of that one?

JW

smile_o.gif

Umm... I cant remember. I dont have the budget sheet on my notebook right now.

Hehe.

It is, actually, two Mac Pro workstations with dual 30" Cinema HD monitors. Video editing work, so the Mac platform is much better (Final Cut Pro is awesome) in the same price range. We looked at Avid workstations, but for the same price the Mac systems are better.

So wondering why only 36.7GB makes me oblivious to it? What? huh.gif

I have a 36.78GB Raptor as my boot drive, but I keep my games on a 150GB Raptor (Gaming Edition - 16MB cache, woot!wink_o.gif, because I could only fit 3-4 games on my 36GB one. 'Twas indeed a pain in the ass.

500GB array (3x250GB) boots windows faster than it takes the controller to boot and detect the array  biggrin_o.gif

Around 12 seconds for the controller to boot, detect the array and install the BIOS, around 8 seconds to load to the Windows login screen.

Gotta love RAID5  thumbs-up.gif

If you want a fast RAID-controller I highly recommend the Adaptec 2420 w/128MB RAM

Nvidia G80...

Things are moving very fast, this one isnt out yet and im already thinking about how long she will stay up there, because of DX10...

Its a strange time to think about upgrades, some good hardware out there but where are the good games huh.gif ?

Would have been nice to see how it compares to current top-end Nvidia cards too. I want to see how much money I wasted on my 7950gx2 huh.gif

Can anybody say to me whats the difference (if there are some) between usb 2.0 and pci version of wireless network card (signal,range etc.)? What version is better,what should i get?

I was looking at 108Mbps of both versions.

Thx wink_o.gif

Signal range and strength depends on brand not interface type. Linksys(and Cisco ofcourse) and D-link are the ones I've had the best experience with.

But you'll just have to try and see how the result is. Noone can tell you if it will work well or not.

Too many options...

First look at your system, if you're loaded up with USB ports, and are short system resources (ie you have all the mobo options turned on) etc to support another PCI card, go with the USB.

If however you're not into USB, ie only a couple occasional items, and have most of your mobo junk turned off, go PCI.

There's another catch though, sometimes the PC placement is bad for signal reception. With USB, you can just get a cheap USB extension cable. With PCI, it's harder and more expensive to find a booster antenna or extender. I've got a spare PCI wifi card, the reason it's a spare is because linksys did a crappy job socketing the detachable external antenna. Buyer beware, USB's are more rugged, and also portable.

Here's the thing about extra video card memory -

If you run a resolution higher than 1280 x 1024 in high details, you will put extra stress on the video card ram because it's gonna have to load bigger textures/etc, into memory. Are you going to be doing that? There are a few games that actually see benefit from having extra RAM on the graphics card, like Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter and Doom 3. Running these game with high texture details(or Ultra in Doom 3) is not recommended. So as far as memory goes, as far as I know, it's like this -

64 MB VRAM(video ram) = Low texture details

128 MB VRAM = Medium texture details

256 MB VRAM = High texture details

512 MB VRAM = Even higher.

EDIT: God damn it... I actually replied to the first post because I thought I was brough to the last page. Well, I'll leave it anyway.

Finally, GeForce 8800 series has now been lanched. It's the start of an new age in graphics. I added and adjusted the info a bit.

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>GeForce 8800 GTX (Price: ca. €710 / $905 / Å475)

Architecture: 90 nm (TSMC)

Transistors: 681 millions

Shaders (unified): 128 (operates at 1350 MHz)

Clock rate: 575 MHz

Memory: 768 MB GDDR3

Memory Clock: 1800 MHz eff.

Memory Bus: 384-bit

Memory Bandwidth:  n/a

ROP: 24

TMU: 32

DirectX Gen: 9.0L/10 (SM 4.0)

HDCP support: Yes

Dobble Dual Link DVI: Yes

Cooling: Air + Water

SLI support: Yes

External power-supply: 2 (9-pins)

Recommended PSU: Minimum 450 Watt

GeForce 8800 GTS (Price: ca. €510 / $650 / Å340)

Architecture:90 nm (TSMC)

Transistors: 681 millions

Shaders (unified): 96 (operates at 1350 MHz)

Clock rate: 500 MHz

Memory: 640 MB GDDR3

Memory Clock: 1600 MHz eff.

Memory Bus: 320-bit

Memory Bandwidth:  n/a

ROP: 20

TMU: 24

DirectX Gen: 9.0L/10 (SM 4.0)

HDCP support: Yes

Dobble Dual Link DVI: Yes

Cooling: Air

SLI support: Yes

External power-supply: 1 (9-pins)

Recommended PSU: Minimum 400 Watt</span>

New functions for both cards: Unified shaders, 16x AA, 128-bit HDR lightning, Quantum Effects (physics processing)

Tests:

TweakTown

Tom's Hardware

Tech-Report

RegHardware

NeoSeeker

HardOCP

FiringSquad

Nice to hear. A new card is always good news, especially cause hopefully now I'll be able to afford a new 7950GX2 earlier.