Sign in to follow this  
Victor_S.

PC Discussion Thread - All PC related in here.

does anyone know of a free pdf compiler out there? I want a program that can open up 6 pdf documents and stick them together into one long 6 page pdf instead... and i cant afford acrobat

Scribus is a free DTP program that can export to PDF.

pdftk is a free command-line tool for merging/splitting etc. and should do what you want to do.

Multivalent is similar to pdftk.

hth.

pdftk was perfect, if a little confusing at first - havnt used command prompt for about 10 years now, and then it was only to boot up windows.

brilliant, thanks for that!

And on the side, id like mention CutePDF writer which is an excellent tool to make sure that people who havent bought into microsoft blackmail or done some less than legal deeds can read your documents like they were intended to. wink_o.gif

OpenOffice.org can export to PDF too, though I don't know about the possibilities to open and edit pdf's in the more recent versions (haven't upgraded for a while).

(And it's a free alternative to M$ Office of course notworthy.gif )

I was wondering, is Blu-Ray better in any other way to DVD then that it can hold 25GB / disc?

Cause a Blu-Ray burner costs like 20 times more then a DVD-burner, and Blu-Ray discs costs about 10 times more then DVDs.

(DVD: 4.7GB, Blu-Ray: 25GB)

Not that I'm planning to get a Blu-Ray burner, just qurious if there's any other advantages then that...

JW

smile_o.gif

A comparasing

(All costs are from the same store, wich have pretty good prices)

Cheapest Blu-Ray Burner: 9895 SEK

Cheapest DVD-burner: 309 SEK

Blu-Ray disc (25GB): 179 SEK (more then half of a DVD-burner! )

DVD (4.7GB): 25 SEK

Price per GB:

Blu-Ray - 7.16 SEK / 0.520831 GBP / 0.776225 EUR

DVD: 0.188 SEK / 0.0136760 GBP / 0.0203813 EUR

Not only is Blu-Ray 38 times more expensive to burn, the burner itself is 32 times more expensive.

Who the heck uses Blu-Ray??

Oh, wait.. PS3 does... crazy_o.gif

Blu-Ray and HD:DVD are the new Batamax and VHS.

Its just another nail in Sony's coffin as far as I'm concerned. They seem to be content doing their own thing, and fucking their supporters over. HD:DVD in the PS3 would have made it a lot cheaper, AND would have meant that you could watch HD:DVDs on it (like the ones you can rent from blockbuster) but nooo, they had to push their own format, and will pay for it (I hope)

Blu-Ray and HD:DVD are the new Batamax and VHS.

Or just betamax and betamax. Unlike the transition from VHS to DVD the benefits are not nearly as clear especially considering that not too many homes have/can even afford television sets that can truly take advantage of the better picture quality.

And DVD burning will also become a hell lot cheaper per GB if those damn DVD9-Rs ever get cheaper. yay.gif

I'm soon getting Win XP for my "gaming-comp" (low money sad_o.gif ).

The computer has Win 2000 atm, but it's really unstable, OFP MP just CTD etc, and the computer has alot of viruses, spyware etc.

So, now I wan't to install Win XP over Win 2k, completely delete all old files.

How to do that?

Other times when I've tried to do that (the installationprogram even warned me of that all files will dissapear), I get the old OS in the boot list, and files left from last install.

Now, how should I do, format the drive before the install, or what?

With regards and thanks for answers

JW

smile_o.gif

I wan't to clear everything, it should be just as when you buy a new comp tounge2.gif

You either need some way to boot the pc into dos (i usually use a usb memory stick formatted as a "boot disk")

Then you can use the command line to "format C:\"

Or, in the windows XP setup screens, when it asks you where to install, delete all exisiting partitions, create a new one and format it in NTFS, but choose the full option, not the quick format.

Then you're all good to install a nice fresh win XP.

P.S. theres no ' in want wink_o.gif

I personally use the Windows CD, just to be sure. I don't trust DOS. Haven't used it since the good old days of black and white Commander Keen II on my dad's old laptop.

And yeah, do a thorough format. Quick is gay.

Thanks for advice bot of you smile_o.gif

You either need some way to boot the pc into dos (i usually use a usb memory stick formatted as a "boot disk")

Then you can use the command line to "format C:\"

Or, in the windows XP setup screens, when it asks you where to install, delete all exisiting partitions, create a new one and format it in NTFS, but choose the full option, not the quick format.

Then you're all good to install a nice fresh win XP.

P.S. theres no ' in want wink_o.gif

Silly me tounge2.gif

JW

smile_o.gif

Can I reformat my drive from FAT32 to NFTS w/o loosing any files?

Regards and thanks for answers

JW

smile_o.gif

It should work, but from what I heard you can only take 4 GB.

But to be sure you should copy the most important files.

BTW, take a look at Partition Magic.

Alternatively,

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">CONVERT <Drive Letter> /FS:NTFS

worked for me, all files were fine after the conversion.

Where to put that in?

Start -> Run and then that?

Where to put that in?

Start -> Run and then that?

heeheh... nope.. put it in the command prompt...but u cannot convert the current drive as far as i know...

You can convert your C-drive from FAT32 to NTFS regardless of its size.

Start -> Run -> CMD (enter)

convert c: /fs:ntfs

You will be told that Windows will convert the filesystem on the next boot. Restart the computer and it will do it right before loggin into windows.

Firefox 2.0 is out.

I don't really like it. I can't close out of tabs anymore by just clicking the X on the right hand side of the tab bar... now I have to search for the tab I have open and close it in a different position every time... I wonder if the previous couple sentences make any sense... probably not... gave me the opportunity to whine and complain though... it's all good...

Firefox 2.0 is out.

I don't really like it. I can't close out of tabs anymore by just clicking the X on the right hand side of the tab bar... now I have to search for the tab I have open and close it in a different position every time... I wonder if the previous couple sentences make any sense... probably not... gave me the opportunity to whine and complain though... it's all good...

Yup,had the same problems....tested new Firefox 2.0 and IE7, i will stick to IE7 for now because its much better (could use Opera but dont like it for some reasons).... i guess we have to wait for Firefox 3 (start of 2007) which will use new Gecko 1.9 engine and other enhancements.

i like it so far... i like the addition of the X box on each tab, instead of having to use right click and close tab... and it does appear to be a hell of alot faster, but i may just be imagining that whistle.gif

i like it so far... i like the addition of the X box on each tab, instead of having to use right click and close tab... and it does appear to be a hell of alot faster, but i may just be imagining that whistle.gif

You can also just middlemouse click to close or open a link.