Sign in to follow this  
Victor_S.

PC Discussion Thread - All PC related in here.

You didn't mention the video system, the base model comes with either an IGP 950 or a Mobility x1400. Ati Mobility implementations are somewhat dicey, you don't know if it will do what you need until it's "too late" and support is universally abysmal.

That said, a couple months ago I demo'd a Panasonic Toughbook variation of almost the same specs, except with a x1300, and it was more than adequate for my needs. Just don't get the IGP whatever you do.

Computer's prepare themselves for ArmA!

Well, mine's trying to atleast crazy_o.gif

I turned it back on after a power cut, and boom! I've just got an extra 150mhz CPU power, and it's now registering on the BIOS as a Semprong 2500+ instead of 2400+, bot a major leap.. but it seems the computer overclocked itself confused_o.gif Luckily it wasn't overclocked previously, so I shouldn't have any heating issues.

Very, very strange. Anyone else had similar experiences?

**edit** words also replcae themselves when you're tired.

Weirded out. Strange one. XCess - if you don't like it or stuff starts to crash + burn, jump into BIOS (depending on which mobo you've got) and reset your speed.

The only weird overclocking experience I've had is one day I woke up and noticed that my computer was suddenly recognising my humble P4 dual core with HT as an uber Pentium Extreme 3914MHz with one core. That was very strange. A quick glance at me overclocking utility said I was still whacking away on two cores though (thank god).

And as far as computers trying to prepare for Armed Assault... within the next month or two I'm expecting a shipment of 2GB of fast DDR2...  xmas_o.gif Guess my brother will be happy - he gets my old RAM too.

It reset itself this morning, so there shouldn't be any explosions from the computer any time soon tounge2.gif

Infact, it even reset the BIOS clock and went all the way back to 1ghz icon_rolleyes.gif Methinks I need a new BIOS batterry.

The BIOS Flash jumper? Should be fine since I did a BIOS flash not too long ago when windows failed.. I seem to get a lot of problesm all in one go after a year or two of perfect running crazy_o.gif

The problem I have is that the BIOS batterry is placed on the mobo vertically for some very strange, and unkown reason, and cannot be removed. Belive me, I've tried tounge2.gif

All the bad stuff happens at once, eh.

What model motherboard you looking at here? My motherboard is quite interesting, it has the battery sitting nice and easy, open to the air... my last one wasn't like that. I do fret that it'll fall out sometimes.

I reckon you ought to get yourself a surge protector, I've had one for years (SkyBlaster is a good brand), and I've never killed a system, even that time I blew the safety about 4 times in a row without knowing what I was doing. huh.gif

'Tis a PCCHIPS K7 M848A Socket A 462pin mobo.

Surge protection probably is a good idea, probably what caused the 'overclocking' last night.

Aight, I wan't to have like 5 people be able to talk to eachother, and at the same time recording.

So, I found VCX Library.

Quote[/b] ]VCX Library Description: VCX library is a set of ActiveX controls designed for developers of audio streaming projects, such as voice chat, web chat, multi-client conference and similar applications. VCX library provides real-time, low latency multi-client audio streaming over TCP/IP networks. It includes efficient components for sound recording, playback, encoding, mixing, resampling, reading and writing wave files, volume controls access and efficient TCP/IP server and client components for peer-to-peer, multi-user and broadcast audio communications. Same components can also be easily integrated into web pages. Wide set of ready to re-use examples with VB, C++, C# and HTML sources included.

Sounds good, but TeamSpeak offer the same stuff?

I'm not actually looking to live-broadcast over the net, just record it.

Is that a good program, but does a TeamSpeak work just as well?

With regards and thanks for answers

JW

smile_o.gif

I don't feel for a double-post

While I'm at it.

How much space do you think that a 15minutes long .WAV-file would need?

How much space do you think that a 15minutes long .RAM-file would need (I've heard it's really high-compressed)?

Is there any software to convert .WAV to .RAM?

With regards and thx for answers

JW

smile_o.gif

*bump*

NVM, gonna use Skype instead.

But I've got a problem with it.

After approx of 10-20 minutes of talking, the sounds starts to echo itself, wich is really bothering.

Can it have anything to do that my friend is at the same time recording with Audacity, with the choice "Record what you hear", wich records anything that passes the speakers tounge2.gif

Thanks for help

JW

smile_o.gif

i was thinking upgrade my pc, but i havent brought any pc mags for a long time so i have no idea which kind of CPU to take(as for MB, well i an a long nFroce user so i am going to use that too)

since i wont be able to use my 9800 AIW again so i must sure that my money are on the right side

the new X1950PRO crossfire looks good, another war begin?

I'd say NVidia still have the upper hand, but it's your money. As for CPU, I'm going to grab a Core Duo when I get the money, probably a 6700. AFAIK and read, nothing else comes close right now.

I'd say NVidia still have the upper hand, but it's your money. As for CPU, I'm going to grab a Core Duo when I get the money, probably a 6700. AFAIK and read, nothing else comes close right now.

It's estimated (as far as estimates mean anything in IT) that Intel will have the upper hand for about a year, until AMD can launch it's new processors. Intel is the way to go right now.

I read a review in a magazine of a cheap Core2 (believe it was something like €215) that blew the 3X more expensive AMD they were comparing it to out of the water.

many games are enhance for NVidia, thats what i already get used to, since ati X1950PRO target is 7900GS sli and with HDR + AA support, if both are about the same price, ATi might get a chance, dont forget, you dont need MB support for crossfire, even with the cheaper 550 you can still use it like if you brought the highend 590 SLi support, which is an a$$ if you want to mod it to support SLi, but thats not the mainpoint

now if VIA want to fight back, crossfire might be their chance aswell

I just received my new Radeon 1950 XTX and i have to say it´s performing much better then my old GF6800. I´am even able to run Gothic 3 (! ) on nearly the highest settings. The only thing wich is still limiting my performance in G3 is my RAM (2 Gig´s aren´t enough for that Game biggrin_o.gif )

And the best Thing: The Graphics Card is fully compatible to Kegetys Dxdll !

Uberific! I'm thinking of getting two of them, since my motherboard is CFire supported, but due to monetary constraints I think I'll go for a 7950GX2 from either ASUS or the extreme XFX one.

so crossfire then biggrin_o.gif

which MB chipset support CFire btw?

just heard that intel is going to lanch the new core 4........would it be good to wait till that time?(for a price drop on core 2 dual?)

I am back here again with a few problems and questions smile_o.gif .

Recently my Western Digital HDD failed , the bios readout kept saying SMART status failed ... i was able to logon to windows but everything was sluggish and then just simply stopped working , so i went out and bought a new Seagate Barracuda HDD (80 GB) , now with this new HDD i still am getting random freezes which I KNOW are associated with HDD as the same HDD stopping sound keep coming the way they did with my old WD. According to the retailers the 'media' on my WD failed. Now i dont know what that exactlymeans?

I tried checking in Seagates website and used the online HDD diagnostic tools , but the tests came out fine , however my HDD is still freezing randomly and slowing the PC. I wanna know whats up here , is it really a HDD problem or HDD cable problem , whats up? I've already lost all my data on my old WD HDD which has been quite a bugger. And now i dont feel comfortable in transfering my data on this new HDD fearing it'll die aswell.

This is a new HDD so why is it acting in such a way? Pretty similiar to the way my WD HDD went down.

Use a program like speedfan to see if your hard drive's SMART indicators are okay.

Oh i had 2 WD HDD's before , now i have 1 seagate and 1 wd hdd , the seagate being the primary. Could it be possible that they dont agree with each other or the layout and hence having problems?

@Eizei: I'll try the speedfan thing and see what it reports.

Ok did it and this is what it says:

hdderorgu0.gif

Is this bad?

I mean its a brand new drive yet the final scores are in 69%?? Plus the error seek rate is below par crazy_o.gif .

What the hell crazy_o.gif . You guys think that score is grounds enough to take the HDD back for a refund or exchange for another?

does anyone know of a free pdf compiler out there? I want a program that can open up 6 pdf documents and stick them together into one long 6 page pdf instead... and i cant afford acrobat