Sign in to follow this  
Victor_S.

PC Discussion Thread - All PC related in here.

Ok, thx for answers, I'll check into it.

Another question, how can I limit the space of specific folders (on my FTP)?

With regards

JW

smile_o.gif

So I took a closer look at my new Godzilla laptop, and apparently instead of the AMD 4400+X2 I ordered they shipped a 4600+X2 instead. On one hand, the extra 200mhz for free is nice, but on the other hand I only have half the cache. Would it make enough of a difference that I should complain about it?

<span style='color:white'>AMD Athlon 64 (939) 4600+ X2

2GB ram

2x 100GB 7200rpm SATA hard drives

17" 1920x1200 LCD display

512mb Geforce Go 7900 GTX</span>

My vote is yes. 200MHz isn't really that much. And a larger cache size is one of the reasons that the Core Duo whoops ass all over the P4, so yeah, you've been ripped. Twice the cache vs. 200MHz? Cache all the way, mate.

Commence making a stink, IMHO.

In other news...

My Pimp-My-OFP/ArmedA-Compy project took a turn for the better yesterday with the installation of a brand spanking new ASUS Silent Square Pro CPU cooler, greased with Arctic Silver 5. Core CPU temperatures have not yet reached above 38 degrees, even with a constant overclock of 15% and heavy load (NFS: MW, RON: ROL, OFP: ECP/FP tested), where it used to spike as high as 69 degrees. So if anyone is looking for a new cooler, without resorting to a liquid system, I'd say take this one. I was utterly stunned.

On the bad side, it's absolutely massive, and can be a pain to install if you don't have a backboard already mounted on your mobo. Still, if you wanna run cool... <hums Heavy Fuel>

finally,

Intel core2duo E6600 (i was convinced of the benefit of a 4mb cache)

2048mb Corsair DDR2 matched pair (C4)

Asus P5B

Asus EN7600Gt

WD 75GB Raptor

WD 250GB

The Raptor is formatting right now... a nearly flawless build except for when I forgot the IDE cable and wondered why it wasn't booting from the CDROM drive. It's always a bit of a relief when everything works and there's no smoke (so far)

finally,

Intel core2duo E6600 (i was convinced of the benefit of a 4mb cache)

2048mb Corsair DDR2 matched pair (C4)

Asus P5B

Asus EN7600Gt

WD 75GB Raptor

WD 250GB

The Raptor is formatting right now... a nearly flawless build except for when I forgot the IDE cable and wondered why it wasn't booting from the CDROM drive. It's always a bit of a relief when everything works and there's no smoke (so far)

I just hate it when you start up your new self-build and it simply starts beeping.... *** "Oh god, please let it be a cable" ***

I just hate it when you start up your new self-build and it simply starts beeping.... *** "Oh god, please let it be a cable" ***

I prefer beeping over no beeping and no picture wink_o.gif

I know the feeling. rofl.gif

Anyway, unofficial GeForce 8800 details:

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>GeForce 8800 GTX

Architecture: 90 nm

Transistors: Ca. 700 millions

Shaders (unified): 128 (operates at 1350 MHz)

Clock rate: 575 MHz

Memory: 768 MB GDDR3

Memory Clock: 1800 MHz eff.

Memory Bus: 384-bit

Memory Bandwidth:  86,4 GB/s

DirectX Gen: 9.0L/10 (SM 4.0)

HDCP support: Yes

Dobble Dual Link DVI: Yes

Cooling: Air + Water

SLI support: Yes

External power-supply: 2 (9-pins)

Recommended PSU: Minimum 450 Watt

GeForce 8800 GTS

Architecture:90 nm

Transistors: Ca. 700 millions

Shaders (unified): 96 (operates at 1350 MHz)

Clock rate: 500 MHz

Memory: 640 MB GDDR3

Memory Clock: 1600 MHz eff.

Memory Bus: 320-bit

Memory Bandwidth:  64 GB/s

DirectX Gen: 9.0L/10 (SM 4.0)

HDCP support: Yes

Dobble Dual Link DVI: Yes

Cooling: Air

SLI support: Yes

External power-supply: 1 (9-pins)

Recommended PSU: Minimum 400 Watt</span>

Anyone got a nuclear power plant and a few tonns of ice for these cards? crazy_o.gif

Hi guys!

I recently bought a Logitech precision PC Gaming headset which I am connecting to my PC through My Creative Labs Soundblaster ZS2 platinum Pro. I however can not get it to work in any of the games I play. When I mess with the voice recording settings under configuration --> Sound and Audio devices it does appear to work and I can hear it working too. I am at a loss what to try atm :S Any ideas?

Am I underclocking?  CPU-Z shows my ram at 400mhz.  The mobo manual mentioned that the P5B might causes 800MHz DDR2 to run at 667MHz.

If so, where do I fix it?  BIOS?  Asus software?  Or is it perhaps just underclocked when I don't need it to save power and reduce heat?

edit1: it's Corsair twin2x PC6400 C4, so 4-4-4-12, whatever that means.  They didn't have the standard stuff there so I got the C4 version for $30 more, but I didn't plan to overclock it anyway, I just want it to run at the rated frequency.

cpuz_ddr2.gif

Sure looks like it's underclocked. Either that or you got screwed at the place you bought them tounge2.gif

See if it's a save-power function, ie;

Turn on a game or something (perhaps this game called Flashpoint tounge2.gif)

and see if it goes up to 800Mhz.

If nothing happens, try with a new program (that checks your computer). If it still shows 400Mhz, sue the crap out of the store you bought it at tounge2.gif

JW

Or look in the BIOS...

Maybe the program only shows the real frequency? huh.gif

The DDR memory runs under normal frequency but works with the double data in the same time. So effectively it has the doubled frequency and get's this in the name for marketing instead of the normal one.

So everything might be fine, just look up what frequency is displayed or use another programm to recheck smile_o.gif

Indeed, it seems that DDR & DDR2 use something called "double pumping" which transfers data on both the rise and fall of the pulse, so a clock frequency of 400MHz acts like 800MHz.  So that's fine.

"PC2-6400: DDR2-SDRAM memory stick specified to run at 400 MHz using DDR2-800 chips, 6.400 GB/s bandwidth"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR2_SDRAM

I wonder about the 5-5-5-18 though.  I guess I'll have a look in the bios.  I just don't want to break anything since it's all stable now :-)

So, DDR is 1x400Mhz, and DDR2 is 2x400Mhz, but the sellers write out 800Mhz instead?

Or, is it just me that's slow?

JW

smile_o.gif

No, DDR stands for Double Data Rate, and Earl explained the priciple of sending data during the rising and falling edges of cycles. So if you have DDR that says 800Mhz, that's effective clock, which takes into account the Double Data Rate, but infact, the real clock is 400Mhz.

@Earl:

I think those are called RAM Timings, altough I have no idea what they do. Might help you in your search.

when I was doing my first practise period during my last studies I almost went crazy when I had to repair tons of computers with some kind of connector problems. that's when I lost interest towards it as a profession tounge2.gif

So if you have DDR that says 800Mhz, that's effective clock, which takes into account the Double Data Rate, but infact, the real clock is 400Mhz.

Better to say that 800MHz is the data frequency, while 400MHz is clock frequency, in which case CPU-Z displays correct information, and the manufacturer also labels the ram correctly, but referring to different properties.

edit:  Ok, I guess I have it solved now.  The packaging says 4-4-4-12 because it's able to run at that latency and still be stable, they assume you will overclock it, but by default it runs at 5-5-5-18.  The product sheet mentions that this is a JEDEC compliant timing so I guess that means it meets some standard level of stability.  At least I know where those numbers are coming from now, it's not just some random mismatched settings in the BIOS, or a mistake from CPU-Z.

Thinking of getting a Lenovo ThinkPad T60

Specs:

CPU: Intel Core T2400 @ 1.83Ghz

DDR: 512MB PC2-5300 (will be getting more probably)

HD: 60GB S-ATA 5400RPM (will exchange to 100GB 7200RPM whenever I get money)

Optic unit: DVD/CD-burner (24x write, 24x read)

Price: 12795 SEK ~ 1300 EUR (discounted)

Sounds like a good deal?

JW

smile_o.gif

Sounds like a good deal?

Thats a steal. You sure you getting a receipt? tounge2.gif

By all means buy it. Its a great computer. I would like to say its the best ever but there will always come something newer along the way. But right now (and specially at the price you're mentioning) its the best quality and value for money.

We're selling (at where I work) the 80GB/14" variant for 13.388,-NOK excluding taxes and thats very cheap.

It's suppose to cost approx 2500 EUR w/o the discount, so I was just making sure by asking.

And I get a new one, not an used one.

Since I'm now a student I get 47% discount on it, and also discounts on various other things, such as Adobe tools (upto 75% discount) etc.

It's great tounge2.gif

.... such as Adobe tools (upto 75% discount) etc.

Up to 75% discount on Adobe tools...wow,thats f*cking nice...

On which products (Studio 8,Photoshop, Creative Suite...) ??

Adobe Creative Suite 2 Premium

Approx price in store: 2100 EUR

My price: 500 EUR

Adobe Photoshop CS2

Approx price in store: 1100 EUR

My price: 300 EUR

Adobe Web Bundle

Approx price in store: 2300 EUR

My price: 800 EUR

Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Professional

Approx price in store: 700 EUR

My price: 240 EUR

Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Standard

Approx price in store: 500 EUR

My price: 150 EUR

Adobe Production Studio Premium

Approx price in store: 2300 EUR

My price: 800 EUR

Adobe Video bundle

Approx price in store: 2700 EUR

My price: 1000 EUR

Adobe After Effects 7.0 Professional version

Approx price in store: 1500 EUR

My price: 600 EUR

Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0

Approx price in store: 1100 EUR

My price: 500 EUR

Adobe Audition 2.0

Approx price in store: 400 EUR

My price: 200 EUR

Adobe Encore 2.0

Approx price in store: 400 EUR

My price: 200 EUR

JW

biggrin_o.gif

JW u are very lucky... im also student,but i bought Creative Suite 2,Studio8,Adobe 7 Pro and 3D for full retail price (not all money coming from my wallet,but still quite expensive...),because here we(students) dont have any discounts... sad_o.gif

Anyway,its nice to be student in Sweden...heheh biggrin_o.gif