Sign in to follow this  
Victor_S.

PC Discussion Thread - All PC related in here.

Thanks for the advice on those Graphics cards they sound pretty nice. Im gonna have to reduce my budget though to about Å90 - Å100 as I have to save for driving lessons(got my cousins old Corsa yay.gif ) but I have narrowed it down to these Graphics Cards What one would be best for my system

Radeon 9200 128MB

Windows XP

1GB DDR RAM

Intel Pentium 4 2.66GHz

AGP

Cheers.

Of those the Nvidia 6600 is the best. Although the X700 might be better but I don't know much about it.

The 6600 isn't going to be the best performer in ArmedA, unfortunately, but I agree with Chipper that it's the pick of your list.

Heck, I'm switching out my 6800GTO cause I fear it won't be good stuff.

Sorry for double posting, mods. Need to ask this one:

I need y'allse opinion on this. I'm upgrading my mobo to an SLI, super-uber-RAM capable one.

My current one is an elderly but much loved and very good ASUS P5AD2-E Deluxe.

I would like your opinions. I'd like to be able to:

- SLI when I get the money.

- Run 4GB of nutcase (at least 600MHz) DDRII RAM.

- Support my Intel P4 775 Processor (NOT a Conroe/Viiv/Duo).

- Support my Creative Audigy 2ZS SC.

Thinking of maybe a -

Gigabyte GA-8N-SLI => $125 AUD.

ASUS P5ND2-SLI => $149 AUD.

ASUS P5ND2-SLI-DELUXE => $250 AUD.

I have no idea what ASUS' latest SLI offerings are, the P5Ns are all I could find in my local area. I'm a bit of an ASUS fanboy, however, and I mistrust Gigabyte for some unknown reason. I could use a P5W DH, however, I'm not sure whether it is compatible with P4s, and whether it even has SLI capability (though my local compy store says it has 2 PCI-E slots).

I got a problem. I just put togeather my new computer and when I try to install windows it craches and tells me to check that "hardware and software is properly installed. if it still doesn't work try to switch of shadowing and/or chaching"

I searched for this in both in bios and the ownser manual.

I got a Asus - Socket AM2 - ATX nForce570 SLI (M2N-SLI DELUXE) - PCI-E / SATA / DDR2 motherboard and a Western Digital Raptor 74GB SATA (10000RPM / 16MB Cache / SATA) harddrive

PLEASE HELP ME sad_o.gif

What memory do you use?

Also, it could be good to check out the Asus forums, there are a lot of problems with MSN-SLI DELUXE being discussed..

I have one as well..

Other's have no problems at all, I had my share before it just started working without anything done to it (power up problems)...

I use a kingston 1024 mb 750 mhz card.

I tried to install sata drivers but I still get the error.

this is the exact error message number

***STOP : 0x0000001E (0x0000005,0xBFF78084,0,00000001,0x00000000) KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

***Adress BFF78084 base at BFF60000, DateStamp 3a80b01d - pcmcia.sys

750MHz?

Sure you dont mean Kingston HyperX 675MHz?

Anyway, something is way off on your machine since Windows complains about a PCMCIA-controller on a stationary computer.

Flash the BIOS to the latest version, load default values and try again.

750MHz?

Sure you dont mean Kingston HyperX 675MHz?

Anyway, something is way off on your machine since Windows complains about a PCMCIA-controller on a stationary computer.

Flash the BIOS to the latest version, load default values and try again.

what is a PCMCIA controlller? what is it doing?

and yes, I am shure. it is 750 mhz. but the motherboard doesn't support it so it sets it to 677mhz (it supports 677 and 800 and some other speeds I don't remember)

I allso tried to install sata drivers

BTW should I download the latest bios drivers aswell?

sry for double posting, but I have no idea which bios update to download.

is it any of these?

Flash update

0307 update

*edit

I updated the bios with 3070 and it's nolonger accesable. it's gone. what happend to my computer?

My P5B-VM arrived today and most of the components are now in my server case. I'm just waiting on the RAM and then I'll be ready to go!

Just a question: do I have to use any special kind of heatsink thermal grease on the Core2Duo heatsink? Because I smudged a bit of it off making sure that things would fit in the case properley....

sry for double posting, but I have no idea which bios update to download.

is it any of these?

Flash update

0307 update

*edit

I updated the bios with 3070 and it's nolonger accesable. it's gone. what happend to my computer?

Use this bios along with Asus' windows flashing-tool (Asus Update). Its the easiest way.

What do you mean the BIOS is "gone"?

Quote[/b] ]do I have to use any special kind of heatsink thermal grease on the Core2Duo heatsink? Because I smudged a bit of it off making sure that things would fit in the case properley

No more than with any other CPU. I dont see why you would remove any from the heatsink, especially if its the original one. The type Intel use isnt very good at flowing out so they need to apply more. I'd either keep it as it is or buy a small Artic Silver syringe, scrape off all the old paste and apply a thin film of Artic Silver on the CPU. Actually, thats what I did but I dont use the original heatsink either. Zalman ACU7700-something.

whatever it came back, but it freezes sometimes and where I got the error before the computers halts. just a black screan with a little _ in the upper left corner.

do you think it's the motherboard? whould it be wise switch to another board that supports thesame stuffs?

where I got the error before the computers halts. just a black screan with a little _ in the upper left corner.

If thats when the BIOS POST is finished and its about to load Windows, then I'd say a re-install of Windows is in order. And considering your previous errors I'd definitely re-format and re-install Windows.

Doesn't work when trying to install WinXP.

Goes on pretty good for a while, and then it just stops..

It's wierd I tell you

Sorry for double posting, mods. Need to ask this one:

I need y'allse opinion on this. I'm upgrading my mobo to an SLI, super-uber-RAM capable one.

My current one is an elderly but much loved and very good ASUS P5AD2-E Deluxe.

I would like your opinions. I'd like to be able to:

- SLI when I get the money.

- Run 4GB of nutcase (at least 600MHz) DDRII RAM.

- Support my Intel P4 775 Processor (NOT a Conroe/Viiv/Duo).

- Support my Creative Audigy 2ZS SC.

Thinking of maybe a -

Gigabyte GA-8N-SLI => $125 AUD.

ASUS P5ND2-SLI => $149 AUD.

ASUS P5ND2-SLI-DELUXE => $250 AUD.

I have no idea what ASUS' latest SLI offerings are, the P5Ns are all I could find in my local area. I'm a bit of an ASUS fanboy, however, and I mistrust Gigabyte for some unknown reason. I could use a P5W DH, however, I'm not sure whether it is compatible with P4s, and whether it even has SLI capability (though my local compy store says it has 2 PCI-E slots).

The ASUS P5ND2-SLI looks like it's compatable with your P4 it also supports 8GB of memory, 2 PCI:E 16x Slots, 2 PCI:E 1x Slots, and 3 PCI Slots.

Where I got the info.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131578

Thanks for that Chipper - it's now a toss up between ASUS P5ND2-SLI-Deluxe and the ASUS P5WDH Deluxe - apparently SLI is only really necessary for those running games at above 1280x1024 resolution, which I am not. So maybe just one 7950GX2 will do me for now. tounge2.gif

I am thinking of buying a 19" or 20" TFT screen. I've already looked at quite a number of websites, but need some imput from people who actually have a screen this big.

-Needs to be less then €350;

-8ms max;

-Native resolution needs to be 1600X1200 (GPU doesn't support higher resolutions) or less and needs to have both a D-Sub connector and a DVI one;

-Preferably available in black.

I use 3DS MAX and Photoshop alot (simply put, I do alot of 2D & 3D stuff on my pc), and some screens appear to be more suited to this then others (according to what I have read).

I'm also not sure whether a widescreen will be alot better then a 4:3 screen for this kind of use. Gaming is a slightly lower priority (of course I do need to be able to test stuff properly tounge2.gif ).

help.gifhelp.gifhelp.gif

P.S. I am also using a KVM switch to switch between 2 pc's, one with a Geforce 4 TI4200 and one with a Voodoo 3 2000 (for backup purposes). Both support the 1600X1200 resolution, so that shouldn't be a problem. Just thought it might help to add this...

Thanks for that Chipper - it's now a toss up between ASUS P5ND2-SLI-Deluxe and the ASUS P5WDH Deluxe - apparently SLI is only really necessary for those running games at above 1280x1024 resolution, which I am not. So maybe just one 7950GX2 will do me for now. tounge2.gif

I have a 7950GX2 and absolutely love it!!! I run resolutions 1680 x 1050 on my new Samsung SyncMaster 225BW, and it's been eating through games!

@JdB - Check out the Samsungs, I just bought a 22" widescreen and absolutely love it, cost me $400USD but they have some really nice ones that are under 22" and under $350USD.

@JdB - Update for you, I found this Samsung, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824001226

It is 20.1", supports 1600x1200, has 800:1 contrast ratio, 5ms response time, and it is only $349.99 USD, not sure what the current exchange rate is but that should be under your budget limit

Thanks smile_o.gif

The three screens I have been looking at uptil now are the LG L204WT-SF (20 inch widescreen, 1680 x 1050, 5ms), the Iiyama E1900S-B2 (19 inch, 1280 x 1024, 2ms) and the Iiyama X486S-B (19 inch, 1280 x 1024, 8ms). Does anyone have any experience with these particular screens?

Thanks smile_o.gif

The three screens I have been looking at uptil now are the LG L204WT-SF (20 inch widescreen, 1680 x 1050, 5ms), the Iiyama E1900S-B2 (19 inch, 1280 x 1024, 2ms) and the Iiyama X486S-B (19 inch, 1280 x 1024, 8ms). Does anyone have any experience with these particular screens?

19'' LCD SAMSUNG SM 940BF, 2ms, DVI, 300cd/m2, 700:1,but from personal experience i can suggest u LG.

Is an idle temp of 43.5c with the stock fan an okay temperature for the E6600? What is the best way for me to spread the thermal grease?

It's down to 39.5 with case cover off and 36-37 with it on, I was being dumb with the thermal grease. tounge2.gif

I think I will install another fan in my case that directs air upwards out of the top vent. I found some super slim fans (1.5cm) that would be well suited for this purpose.

I set up a 20" widescreen on my other computer with an FX5200 and all the text is distorted. I installed the drivers and have tried every resolution but the text is always distorted. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? It says it wants a resolution of like 1580x1040 or something like that.