Sign in to follow this  
Victor_S.

PC Discussion Thread - All PC related in here.

yea you can find 6800GS or GT for around 150, couple less fps in games than 7800 but 100 cheaper.

So now I need a good AGP card that supports shader model 3.

I don't really care about price now as along as it ain't outragous. My choices are narrowing.

I can't seem to find if the 7800GS supports shader model 3. It should right. It's a fecking 7800GS theres no better AGP card out there. But how do I know if other cards do if it doesn't say it does in the features.

Oh btw the 7950 came out with 1GB of memory holy shit man.

I wonder if that can run OFP on 5000 view distance with max terrian detail?

EDIT: Now this XFX 6800 512MB is looking sexy. It's got GDDR3 256-bit memory the first 512mb AGP I seen with that. But I wonder how it preforms against say a x850xt 256mb.

EDIT:....It only has 8 pixel pipelines. Worse than my old 9800 with 12. so I dunoo.

WHY IS FINDING THE PERFECT VIDEO CARD SO DAMN HARD???

Guest Ti0n3r

A question; Does anyone know if/where I can find a device that would make it possible to connect my Xbox controller to my PC?

If not; Did MS ever create repiclas of the Xbox controller for the PC?

wired xbox 360 controllers work with pc. cause they use usb.

anyone have any ideas on a AGP card that can max out all of todays games. besides the 7800.

btw i got a amd xp 3000+ w/ 1GB of RAM.

I do recall PC Gamer reviewing a PC version of the 360 controller, that was about Å30 tho.

A quick google search comes up with

link

xbox to pc converters, so you can use your existing controllers

Guest Ti0n3r

Alright, thanks smile_o.gif

I can't seem to find if the 7800GS supports shader model 3. It should right. It's a fecking 7800GS theres no better AGP card out there. But how do I know if other cards do if it doesn't say it does in the features.

Oh btw the 7950 came out with 1GB of memory holy shit man.

I wonder if that can run OFP on 5000 view distance with max terrian detail?

EDIT: Now this XFX 6800 512MB is looking sexy. It's got GDDR3 256-bit memory the first 512mb AGP I seen with that. But I wonder how it preforms against say a x850xt 256mb.

EDIT:....It only has 8 pixel pipelines. Worse than my old 9800 with 12. so I dunoo.

WHY IS FINDING THE PERFECT VIDEO CARD SO DAMN HARD???

All of Nvidias cards from the 6-series up support SM3.

That 7950 is a Quad SLi card, and only a handful of games can support them, in 9/10 games, (OFP included) having a regular 7900GTX is better, even if it has half the RAM, and only one GPU.

I would get a 6800GS rather than a 6800 Standard, even if the Standard has twice the RAM. I hear that they make 512MB of the GS, though I cant really confirm this.

The X850XT is faster than the GS, but it lacks SM3

Quote[/b] ]anyone have any ideas on a AGP card that can max out all of todays games. besides the 7800.

Dream on, maxing out on current games is a stupid idea to follow. You need to get like an SLI of the two fastest cards you can get, then they make new cards a few months later, then you need them to max out on the new games, and so on.

The point: Get a good mid to high range card, and you may not be able to max out, but you can set the settings high, and you wont really notice the difference to the uber-high quality anyway, unless you play your games with a magnifying glass on the screen and stop to pause and examine every bit of texture you see.

Hell I'll just pay the damn money for the best, a 7800GS.

EDIT:

I've tons read reviews of ppl maxing out today's games like BF2 with video cards under $250. It is possible, maybe not with OFP. But with BF2, Doom 3, and HL2.

Look at all those happy campers. With their AGP cards.

http://www.newegg.com/Product....4102570

Im wondering if its worth spending 300 quid of my backdated pay to get a second 7900GTX to go in my current PC. I've already spent a fair bit getting it to its current level and I really want to see ArmA in all its graphics glory when it comes out. Maybe I should just hang on until its released and then hopefully prices might have come down a bit more.

I'm also really wanting to get this setup watercooled but I dont have the time to plan, test and install all the stuff that I need :/ I know that if I dont do it before ArmA is released that it will never get done!!

Im wondering if its worth spending 300 quid of my backdated pay to get a second 7900GTX to go in my current PC. I've already spent a fair bit getting it to its current level and I really want to see ArmA in all its graphics glory when it comes out. Maybe I should just hang on until its released and then hopefully prices might have come down a bit more.

Woah, here I am, proud owner of an AGP 6800GT thinking that I can run ArmA properly on my PC, and there you are wondering if you'll need a second uber-expensive card to run it properly. whistle.gif

Dont worry mate, I doubt theres any risk of your PC running short on 'firepower' as such biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]4) O/S: Win XP 64 is shit. But XP Home 32bit, and save up money for Vista next year.

I forgot to ask before, but what are the problems with XP 64? Are they just driver incompatibility issues with the OS, or are there other problems that I haven't heard about?

Edit - Also, is there any reason why I shouldn't use 4x 512 MB pieces of RAM instead of 2x 1GB pieces? Using 4x 512MB saves me some money.

Quote[/b] ]4) O/S: Win XP 64 is shit. But XP Home 32bit, and save up money for Vista next year.

I forgot to ask before, but what are the problems with XP 64? Are they just driver incompatibility issues with the OS, or are there other problems that I haven't heard about?

Edit - Also, is there any reason why I shouldn't use 4x 512 MB pieces of RAM instead of 2x 1GB pieces? Using 4x 512MB saves me some money.

Driver issues, and plus it has very little positive impact on performance, and runs some apps slower I think. Really not worth the extra money.

As for the RAM; its faster to have only two chips, I believe on motherboards (certainly on mine) if you load it with four it reduces the speed of the RAM to a lower grade.

@ch_123 - Thanks for all the help you've given me. Now, I have just a few more questions wink_o.gif .

First, concerning RAM, I'll guess go with 2x 1 GB sticks. However, I'm considering buying Corsair Value RAM instead of Corsair XMS, as I've read good reviews about it and I don't intend to overclock my PC. Also, downgrading to Value RAM would allow me to upgrade to an Athlon 4400+ dual-core CPU (Maybe even a 4600+). What do you think about this?

Second, will regular XP Home still recognize and use the dual core abilities of my CPU? Also, how well does it use a 64bit CPU? I'm sorry if this question sounds a little noobish, but the mixing of a 32bit OS and a 64bit CPU confuses me.

Third, should I upgrade from a 4400+ (2.2 GHz w/ 2x 1MB caches) to a 4600+ (2.4 GHz w/ 2x 512KB caches)?

As for the RAM; its faster to have only two chips, I believe on motherboards (certainly on mine) if you load it with four it reduces the speed of the RAM to a lower grade.

You are right, its all dependant on the motherboard.

I've got 4 x 512 MB sticks of Corsair 3200 XMS matched RAM and they run nicely at the 2-3-3-6 latency.

As long as the RAM is in matched pairs and your motherboard can support 2 sets of DDR RAM, then the difference between 4 x 512MB or 2 x 1GB is negligable.

First, concerning RAM, I'll guess go with 2x 1 GB sticks. However, I'm considering buying Corsair Value RAM instead of Corsair XMS, as I've read good reviews about it and I don't intend to overclock my PC. Also, downgrading to Value RAM would allow me to upgrade to an Athlon 4400+ dual-core CPU (Maybe even a 4600+). What do you think about this?

Second, will regular XP Home still recognize and use the dual core abilities of my CPU? Also, how well does it use a 64bit CPU? I'm sorry if this question sounds a little noobish, but the mixing of a 32bit OS and a 64bit CPU confuses me.

Third, should I upgrade from a 4400+ (2.2 GHz w/ 2x 1MB caches) to a 4600+ (2.4 GHz w/ 2x 512KB caches)?

As long as you arent overclocking, Corsair Value is good, its what I have in my PC at any rate. You only need XMS for overclocking.

There were alot of rumours about XP Home not being able to use Dual-Core PCs, whether these were true at one stage or not I dont know, but now it supports Dual Core, I dont know whether it makes Windows run any faster though; Dual Core only affects Applications and games designed to run with Dual Core CPUs.

The same is the case with 64bit technology, the game has to be designed with 64 bit support. Now that I think of it, Valve made a 64bit version of HL2 that required WinXP 64, but I havent heard of any other examples of this, most games have some sort of 64bit patch that can be downloaded for them, regardless of what O/S that utilizes 64 bit technology.

How much is the upgrade from 4400+ to 4600+? Unless its less than €100 or so, I wouldnt bother, the difference is negligible.

Quote[/b] ]How much is the upgrade from 4400+ to 4600+? Unless its less than €100 or so, I wouldnt bother, the difference is negligible.

The difference is $94, so I think I'll just spend the money on better speakers (Edit - Which I just did).

By now, my specs are:

Case: CoolerMaster Praetorian 730

PSU: NZXT PF-500 (500 Watt)

Mobo: Asus A8N-E

CPU: Athlon 64 X2 4400+

RAM: 2x 1GB Corsair Value Select

GPU: Geforce 7900GT 512MB

HDD: 250GB Sata-II

CD1: 16x DVD-ROM

CD2: LG GWA-4161

Floppy: 1.44MB Drive

Sound: SB Audigy 4 SE

Network: Onboard 10/100

Modem: PCI 56k V.92

Monitor: Viewsonic VA912B 19"

Speakers: Logitech X530 5.1

Keyboard: Logitech Deluxe 104 PS/2

Mouse: Logitech Optical Wheel

Flashmedia: 12in1 Reader/Writer

Printer: HP Deskjet 5740

This all comes in at $2182.

Hi !

I don´t know if I´m in the right thread but as it´s PC related I´ll give it a go.

I´m searching for a module (Flash, Html, whatever) that i can embedd in a webpage. The module i´m looking for is some kind of webbased file transfer module.

That means users with authorization should be able to upload files of any kind to dedicated folders that are predefined. The users should only be able to see the folders that have been made for them on the server. The upload interface should be windows-alike to make it easy to put files on the server folder by drag&drop.

To complicate things even a bit more the module should have a download window aswell that only lists files in predifened folders.

So basically what i´m searching for is an easy-to-implement file explorer for a webpage that can be customized for several users and customized in the look it has.

If anyone can point me into the right direction or knows a good ressource page for stuff like that please feel free to answer here.

Any help is welcome. I´m somewhat lost searching the internet for a module like that as I only end up with numerous pages of wannabe-free-content that turn out to be paysites.

Thx.

May aswell just copy into here

Just wondering how do i edit pictures with photoshop to give them the kind of look that people like Parvus or Ingram get aswell as Cpt Vipers latest nature pics in the Combat photography thread.

I know alot of it is down to dxdll which im currently using and also i hear Parvus' LOD settings go into minus numbers. But im just wondering how to make the colour really stand out and give the additional 'wow' factor to an image.

Thanks.

Just finished ordering all the parts for my new computer...

What do you guys think?

This is what I bought so far:

Motherboard: Abit AN8 32X - Socket 939 / NVidia nForce4 SLI / 1000 MHz / ATX (http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2006/03/28/abit_an8_32x/1.html)

GFX: 2*Asus GeForce 7600GT 256MB DDR3 / PCI-E (To go SLI)

(http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=556)

CPU: AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+ DualCore Soc939

(http://techreport.com/reviews/2005q3/athlon64-x2-3800/index.x?pg=1

PSU: Antec NeoHE 500 EC PSU

Monitor: 17 LG 1780Q TFT

(http://www.techtree.com/techtree/jsp/article.jsp?article_id=72228&cat_id=630)

RAM: 2 * GeIL 1GB Value PC3200 400MHz DDR (2 x 512 Kit) - (4*512 dual-threaded in all)

(http://www.geilusa.com/proddetail.asp?linenumber=36)

HDD: Samsung 400 GB HDD / 7200 Rpm / 8 MB/ Sata II

So what do you guys think?

This is what I bought so far:

GFX: 2*Asus GeForce 7600GT 256MB DDR3 / PCI-E (To go SLI)

(http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=556)

So what do you guys think?

2 7600GT's to go SLI? Have you read benchies and compared the relations (price, performance, power consuption, heat) betwean having 2 7600 GT's and one 7900 GTX (or 7950)? I would avoid SLI and buying 2 mid range graphics cards if you can get the same performance with only one high end video card. SLI wont double your frame rates and i dont think it takes full advantage of both videocards, you might also avoid running into unwanted problems wink_o.gif .

Sorry, I missed the SLI bit, I very much agree with Heatseeker on having dual mid-range cards. If you want to spend that money get a 7950 or a 7900GTX and you'll get better performance and probably save a few dollars.

Hmmm

Well, I actually bought them because I saw that dual GPUs (SLI) actually or allmost doubled framerate in various games.

That was a teswt with SLI 7800GT though, but they are quite expensive.

I found this asus card for 1300 dkr each (140€ per piece).

Anyway, I allready recieeved both of them, and they are okay until directx10 gets here, then ill prolly buy some new stuff smile_o.gif

Btw...

I also recieved this monitor, and I am very impressed!

At the moment I just plugged it into my laptop (since I haven't recieved all the stuff to the new computer yet).

I am running without the drivers or software included and using analog signal (not DVI). And im impressed!

No ghosting in games nor when wathcing DVD. This is really a nice monitor, and it looks good as well (I like the design).

Definately worth the prize, which isnt high either. There's a 19" version available as well... For those who are into that smile_o.gif

This monitor cost me 2100 dkk, which is around 250€

Btw...

I also recieved this monitor, and I am very impressed!

At the moment I just plugged it into my laptop (since I haven't recieved all the stuff to the new computer yet).

I am running without the drivers or software included and using analog signal (not DVI). And im impressed!

No ghosting in games nor when wathcing DVD. This is really a nice monitor, and it looks good as well (I like the design).

Definately worth the prize, which isnt high either. There's a 19" version available as well... For those who are into that smile_o.gif

This monitor cost me 2100 dkk, which is around 250€

What monitor? tounge2.gif

And what are its specs - in terms of response time, native res, contrast ratio, brightness etc?