Sign in to follow this  
Victor_S.

PC Discussion Thread - All PC related in here.

Guest Ti0n3r

This was about time wink_o.gif

This was about time wink_o.gif

Obviously we had to wait until it seemed like our idea rather than do it quickly after the numerous times it was suggested wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]A card with a such a price must come with some sort of warranty?

As far as I know the card is older than 2 years, so the warranty has already expired.

Are there any specific tools for indepth technical diagnosis of gfx cards ?

The RAM modules on the card do not heat up beyond regular temperatures, but the GPU itself gets extremely hot, even with the arctic cooling fan.

I already searched the Inet for companies that actually repair gfx cards and maybe that´s the approach I will take.

It would be a big waste of money to just throw away the card and judging from the performance when it´s cold I definately want that card running in my system.

Unfortunately the repair alone will probably cost you more than (or almost as much as) a good current generation gfx card (i.e. 200 Euro). While I'm sure it's a good card you have to remember that these cards's aren't intended for gaming. The high price isn't justified by 'more power' but rather by 'better image quality' (video signal quality, high quality components) - people work 8h+ for 5 days a week in front of a workstation, concentrating on the fine details in complex layouts and maps. If you don't want to ruin your vision the usual 'throw away after two years max.' gaming card isn't going to cut it at resolutions of 1600x1200 and higher.

At the swedish computerparts and electronic-stuff-shop "Webhallen" a

PNY Quadro FX 1300 128MB DDR 256-Bit (PCI-Express)

costs around 450€

So I'm wondering, how is that card compared to a

Asus GeForce 7800GTX 256MB

that costs around 500€?

Regards

JW

smile_o.gif

It was about time we got this thread pinned. yay.gif

Quote[/b] ]

At the swedish computerparts and electronic-stuff-shop "Webhallen" a

PNY Quadro FX 1300 128MB DDR 256-Bit (PCI-Express)

costs around 450€

Either planning to do some CADding or finding the most spectacular way to waste your money. wink_o.gif

Get the GeForce, its better for Games

First off that extra 128mb is definately worth the 50e. Second, the q1300 is significantly lower level card, iirc the q5500 is what matches to the g7900, q4500 to g7800. I think. But it's extremely difficult to find reviews that cross-compare the two.

On one hand, you can get a much higher DX pixel pumping spec for cheaper with the Geforce consumer cards. On the other hand, if you want hardware OpenGL optimizations, quad-buffered stereo, genlocking, and lots of other fun stuff, then you need a Quadro.

-edit-

The q1300 uses an nv38 core, which is the same as the g5950.

See quadros and geforces

Ok i'm in need of some hardware advice again.

As i said before my 6600Gt's fan broke , right now due to certain complications i cant return it and have it replaced and am notplanning on voiding my warranty by putting an aftermarket fan on it.

I have a portable fan which i plan on running beside my case to cool the GPU , but the thing is whenever i run anygame it freezes the whole PC after 3-4 mins. Any idea why it does so? Also can i remove the plug which supplies electricity to the GPU fan ? Since the fan sint there anymore its just useless and for all i know could be behind the lockup after awhile?

00110821.jpg

Thats my card and the wire there is the one i m talking about. I tried taking it out but its stuck firm , anyone care to tell me of its removable or not? And if so then how do i remove it is there a certain way or should i just pull hard. I didnt pull hard initially because i was afraid i might break it.

but the thing is whenever i run anygame it freezes the whole PC after 3-4 mins. Any idea why it does so? Also can i remove the plug which supplies electricity to the GPU fan ? Since the fan sint there anymore its just useless and for all i know could be behind the lockup after awhile?

Overheating, plain and simple.

Lee's suggestion of fitting the Arctic Cooling silencer is the best bet. Its cooler AND quieter than the stock cooler. Plus the operation to fit it is as easy as pushing a few pins and spreading some thermal paste.

If not, don't play any games until you get the card fixed/replaced.

Yes i know thats the best option for now but as i said i cant do it for the time being. Its becasue the card is under warranty and i will have it replaced , the thing is though i bought it from somewhere else (another city here) , and i wont be going there for sometime (a week or two maybe) therefore i was looking for some sort of interim solution.

Yes i know thats the best option for now but as i said i cant do it for the time being. Its becasue the card is under warranty and i will have it replaced , the thing is though i bought it from somewhere else (another city here) , and i wont be going there for sometime (a week or two maybe) therefore i was looking for some sort of interim solution.

Does your PC have integrated graphics? Or do you have a second computer or friend from which you can get another card for the meantime? Leave that card alone, running it without a proper fan will kill the card (and the warranty wink_o.gif ) and using a desk fan to cool a graphics card is a rather bad idea rofl.gif

Does your PC have integrated graphics? Or do you have a second computer or friend from which you can get another card for the meantime? Leave that card alone, running it without a proper fan will kill the card (and the warranty  wink_o.gif  ) and using a desk fan to cool a graphics card is a rather bad idea  rofl.gif

Nah no integrated Gfx im afraid. But i do have another card a spare 440 MX but its good for nothing , though at one time it did serve me loyally and played HL2 too inlove.giftounge2.gif .

I guess i'll use that instead , since theres no alternative except getting an after market fan.

So, PNY-cards for applications, such as advanced 3d/2d and movie editing

while we do the GeForce/Ati Cards for games?

Or?

smile_o.gif

PNY is a "make"

They make both Quadro boards (as described by ShinRaiden a few posts ago) and "consumer" boards based on nVidia and ATI chipsets.

Edit: I'll spell Shin's name right first time some day :P

Yeah. PNY is a brand. Quadro (and FireGL by ATi) are the workstation graphics best for CAD and such. On the other hand, GeForce/Radeon are the best for games. However, Im not sure that theres a huge difference between the two and they could do eachother's jobs almost as good.

I asked about a computer for my bro before, but now I am looking for one for myself.  I configured a computer and would like it if you guys took a look to see if I made any mistakes, left out any thing, or have any suggestions.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">Code  Product  Quantity  Price/Ea.  Total  

80872  Monarch Nexus Custom Modded Desktop w/ DDR2 (PCI-E w/SLI)  1  $99.00  $99.00  

Case: 100159 - NO PS - Antec Performance One P160 ATX Mi     $95.99  $95.99  

Power Supply: 100337 - PS 400W - Enermax Liberty ELT400AWT ATX 2     $74.98  $74.98  

Case Fan: 130146 - 120mm - Thermaltake Thunderblade A1926 Bl     $9.63  $9.63  

Motherboard: 110646 - Abit AL8-V 945P 1066FSB Audio/GB-LAN/PCI-     $117.99  $117.99  

Processor: 120363 - Intel P4 670J 3.8 GHz LGA775 2MB 800 FSB     $610.00  $610.00  

Thermal Grease: 800018 - Shin-Etsu G765 Thermal Grease (Cools CPU     $14.99  $14.99  

Heat Sink Fan: 130710 - Dynatron DY-LGA775 up to 3.06GHz Heatsink     $39.00  $39.00  

Memory: 141446 - DDR2 (667) 5300 - 2 GB (2 pcs 1GB) Patrio     $164.62  $164.62  

2nd Memory: None          

Hard Drive: 150161 - SATA3G - Seagate Barracuda (ST3300822AS)     $109.99  $109.99  

3rd Hard Drive: None          

2nd Hard Drive: None          

4th Hard Drive: None          

RAID Setup: None          

RAID Controller: None          

CD/DVD-ROM/CD-RW: 160022 - DVD±RW - Lite-On SHW-160P6S-05 16x8x8x/16     $46.51  $46.51  

CD-RW/DVD-RW: 160021 - CD-RW - Lite-On SOHR-5239S 52X32X52 CD-RW     $24.89  $24.89  

CD-RW Software: 210613 - Ahead Nero 6.6 Suite DVD+-RW Software (OE     $15.99  $15.99  

DVD-ROM Software: 210600 - nVidia DVD Decoder 1.00.58 (OEM)     $15.97  $15.97  

Floppy: 170104 - Sony 1.44MB 3.5" (Black) Floppy Drive     $19.66  $19.66  

Sound Card: 180213 - Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy SE     $39.99  $39.99  

Video Card: 190281 - Asus GeForce 7900 GT 256MB DDR3/PCI-E/HDT     $289.69  $289.69  

Molex Connector: 260265 - Molex to PCI Express power adaptor - Requ     $8.95  $8.95  

Video Capture: None          

TV Tuner: None          

Network: 280758 - Linksys EG1032 32-Bit 1000 Base-T Network     $29.89  $29.89  

Wireless Network Card: None          

Add-On Card: None          

Mod Kits: None          

Round Cable: None          

Case Light: None          

Case Function Add On: None          

Operating System: 210112 - Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition w/SP2     $94.81  $94.81  

Additional Software: None          

Anitvirus: None          

T-Shirt: None          

Warranty: 800012 - Standard Tech Support, 1 Year     $69.00  $69.00  

Hot Rush: None - Standard Order ( ships within 10-15 busines          

2nd CD-RW/DVD-RW: None          

Monarch Nexus Sticker: 800110 - Nexus Logo (Pictured Above)          

Monarch Visor: None          

Total:  $1,991.54  

here is a link to the site where i configuered it.

Link

my price range is somewhere between $1500 and $2000

Paying $2K for a Pentium 4 with a 7900GT.....My friend, you are being screwed over big time rofl.gif

For that money youd probably be getting an SLI system, and a very good dual core CPU. That Spec is not worth the money.

Paying $2K for a Pentium 4 with a 7900GT.....My friend, you are being screwed over big time rofl.gif

For that money youd probably be getting an SLI system, and a very good dual core CPU. That Spec is not worth the money.

I agree, that is a bit expensive!

Go with a P4 w/ 4MB cache (dual core P4s), 2GB DDR2 @ 800Mhz.

What scares me though

CPU:

Quote[/b] ]Intel P4 670J 3.8 GHz LGA775 2MB 800 FSB

CPUfan:

Quote[/b] ]Dynatron DY-LGA775 up to 3.06GHz Heatsink

Is it just me, or is something wrong there?

Is it just me, or is something wrong there?

This goes back to the bit when I told him he was being screwed over rofl.gif

Do you guys have any suggestions on where I could get a better price? I don't have the option of building my own due to time and knowlege.

Check EDBpriser.dk if you can navigate through danish text.

That one collects 90% of all danish hardware prizes and puts them up for comparement.

Hi Guys

I'm searching a tool I can use to show to opf community part of the project I'm working on.

In particular, I've often noticed add-on maker usually put some images as well video about their own add-on.

I wuold ask you how can I make a video.

Thank you