Sign in to follow this  
Victor_S.

PC Discussion Thread - All PC related in here.

avast? best free one imo

I dumped AVG and went with Avast a while ago. It seems very good, and doesn't have any annoyances.

One reason I dumped AVG was that when the auto-update started it would bring itself to the front, very annoying when it would minimise a game. The whole point of an auto-update is that it shouldn't require the user's attention.

Ive seen a few negative reviews about Avast's detection rates. Avira is meant to be the best of the bunch, but it has a nag screen when you update. Good news is that it's easy to remove said nag screen.

In reality, this is the best anti-virus.

HOHOHO

Linux is still shit for the common user. Yes, it has become easy to use, but you can't use anything on it.

It was more of a joke than anything, but as someone who uses Linux on a daily basis, the only thing that I need Windows for is games. For everything else, there's either a Linux version, a good Linux equivalent, or Wine for the occasional obscure app that you just have to use. And it's not as if I'm some anal minimalist who only uses some command line text editor, I literally can do everything the average user needs to do and then some with little to no effort.

Yeah, but you need to look for the linux version. In windows you can just use that version. And in my expirence it usually wasn't the case of a simple installer. Still, the common user has problems because they simply don't know linux versions of things like photoshop(gimp).

Still, if I didn't have to rely on directx and windows compatiblity I would use linux with joy.

just checked the asus web site and the latest CPU supported are Q9650, problem is that i only have DDR2-800 rams, will that hugely drag down my performance?

Ive seen a few negative reviews about Avast's detection rates. Avira is meant to be the best of the bunch, but it has a nag screen when you update. Good news is that it's easy to remove said nag screen.

In reality, this is the best anti-virus.

I usually use Avast and if I get paranoid I will use trend micro house call (free online scanner) but that has never found anything that Avast hasn't.

I am on AVG atm on win7 64bit, not sure what Avast runs like on win 7 (anyone?) AVG is pretty poo

just checked the asus web site and the latest CPU supported are Q9650, problem is that i only have DDR2-800 rams, will that hugely drag down my performance?

Not really, RAM speed isn't a huge contributing factor in overall performance, 800MHz should power your system just fine.

Also, you will probably need to update your BIOS to run the new CPU. Make sure you don't use the Windows tool to do the flashing, it's horribly unreliable. The DOS one or the the one built into the BIOS screen (may only be on certain models) are much better

Edited by echo1

Hello everyone. It's me sesdelta38. I haven't been on in awhile due to the fact that my family recently from my house in Arlington Hts. to Park Ridge. If you guys remember, you helped about building a gaming PC to play ArmA 2. I have come back for some more help. I am making a list computer components for the Gaming PC. I will post the list as soon as I can.

@ch 123:

If you can look at the list when I post, then maybe you can help change the list if you feel that some parts need to be added or taken off?

Any help from my fellow members will be much appreciated!:)

In my Window vista there is a problem of ofp not working well.but in xp it work ok.is there any reason for it.

There are certain backwards compatibility issues with Vista and older software. I'd just run OFP on XP if I were you.

Does anybody know how to fix event 4226(opening more connections per second than MS deems safe) on XP64? There's a patcher for regular windows, but on XP64 it fails and it's really annoying if you use torrents.

not sure what Avast runs like on win 7 (anyone?) AVG is pretty poo

I'm using Avast on Win 7 Pro 64-bit. Seems to work fine :)

Hey all,

I sold some rubbish on eBay and had enough spare cash in my PayPal account to buy myself one of these new iMo monitors.

I plan to mainly use it to display core temps, FPS, ATI Overdrive etc whilst gaming. Has anyone used one of these USB mini monitors?

I know they cost a lot for what they are (I could have instead got a nice 19" LCD), but I don't care... I love how they don't require a power chord since they're USB powered.

Can't wait for it to arrive :D

Jero.

I think it's a waste of money. No bullshit, but I think if you can spare money for a separate screen to display harware specs, you must have too much of it. But I'm curious how the thing performs, so let us know. USB 2.0 provides maximum 2.5 Watt as by the specs - I wonder how an LCD can possibly feed on that. And by the way I wonder what will be the additional load on your GPU. It must require your GPU to render the screen too, which I think chips are far from being optimized for. Please let us know how much your framerate drops (if it does) when you use the screen.

Edited by ManDay

Considering that it's USB, I doubt there's anyway it can interface with your GPU. Probably uses CPU+main RAM to drive it.

There's definitely a market for this stuff, a load of people like those godforsaken Logitech G15/G19s, and this would allow you to have a screen in conjunction with a more sensible keyboard, if that was your kind of thing...

Well you know how intensively graphical operations load on a CPU - I very much doubt that the CPU takes over the job alone. But you are right, it must go "through" the CPU at least, because there is no way the GPU could directly interface the USBC.

Well, if it's on USB, it's going to need some kind of special driver. I'd say that the driver simply doesnt support any complicated 3-D rendering, and that it only shows certain apps that you instruct it to.

Still, I might be mistaken but I think a CPU takes disproportionately more ressources for the simplest pixel-related operations than a GPU would. So, flame me if I'm wrong, but I still think there will be a more than noticeable amount of stress on the CPU. Well, let's see what doakwolf reports :)

^ Yep, the LCD can't display any complicated 3D rendering because it's not GPU driven. I'll certainly be keen to see if it causes much stress on my CPU, too. I'm not too fussed since it was literally crap from my garage that I sold to pay for it! I've been eyeing these off for a while and decided to pull the pin since they've just released the new model (which 'looks' better than the first revision).

Regarding power - it has 2x USB cables to power/ drive it. Shouldn't be a problem since I have about 10 spare USB ports on this MoBo :D

I shall let you all know how it performs when it arrives!

Jero ;)

---------- Post added at 01:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 PM ----------

...a load of people like those godforsaken Logitech G15/G19s, and this would allow you to have a screen in conjunction with a more sensible keyboard, if that was your kind of thing...

Yep - that's kind of where I'm coming from. I *think* it's my kind of thing... we'll find out. If not, I'll throw it on eBay :rolleyes:

I still think there will be a more than noticeable amount of stress on the CPU.

Here's some info on the technology.

I trust performance will be OK. I mean, this is why I went with the i7 CPU - So I don't have to worry about performance loss in cases like this. Otherwise, what did I pay the extra $$$ for when I built this PC? :icon_wink:

Again, I'll do some benchmarks and post the results. I reckon it will be a few weeks though because this thing's getting shipped from the USA to Australia.

I'm using Avast on Win 7 Pro 64-bit. Seems to work fine :)

yeah, thanks I switched back to avast the other night when AVG trial was almost up. Seems as good as it was on XP now after I re-registered to get a new key. Seemed laggy/unresponsive when i first tried it after first installing win7

For those who have a series 7200.11 Seagate Barracuda drive - read this carefully!

There is an error in the firmware of some of these drives that can cause one of two failures.

An 0 LBA failure - the BIOS reads the drive as 0MB

A BSY failure - the BIOS does not see the drive at all

If you are technically inclined, you can fix this yourself by going to the following link:

http://www.msfn.org/board/solution-seagate...ds-t128807.html

Last night, I turned on my PC and it didn't see my drive. Tried it in another PC (recommended you do this first) and still nothing. I started going thru everything I could remember from the old "1001 way to revive a hard drive" document that floated around the net for years (3 things in there were from me actually lol!)

Nothing worked. Thank God for Google! I found a thread that linked me to the one above.

It took the greater part of the evening simply due to having to find the blasted parts to build the interface, but it does work. I did wind up having to performt he optional step.

I'll post pics of my setup once I get everything going again. I bought a newer drive last night and am in process of transferring all of my files over to the new one.

In all of my time working on PC's, this one ranks in the top 3 of nerve-wrecking fixes!

Edited by -Total-