Sign in to follow this  
Victor_S.

PC Discussion Thread - All PC related in here.

Hello all. I have an issue here, not sure if any of you guys have Windows 7 but i do now, the Win 7 RC.

I have tried to install drivers for the graphics card but when it comes to installing the drivers the error message that appears is:

"Only windows xp and windows Vista, both 32-bit and 64-bit versions, are supported by this driver CD"

What gives. I was able to install Direct X drivers and precision tools. The graphics card I am using is EVGA Geforec GTX 285 and there is no version for it (eg. SSC or Black).

I 've looked around for a topic on this and so far nothing has turned up yet. I tried looking for some drivers a patch but nothing yet. I'm still trying to get used to Windows 7 IE browser which I love so far. Installed Win 7 last night. So far the computer recognizes the video card and even says its working properly , yet, I have not been able to load the drivers for it yet cause I keep getting the message. Do you think the 64bit installation is to blame or partly? I have an Intel Core 2 Quad 8200 and 2GB memory. Should I have installed the 32-bit?

Run Windows update. It should automatically install the drivers for you. Alternatively, you could have gone to nVidia's site and downloaded them from there.

Never install graphics card drivers from a CD, they'll be out of date by the time the card is on the market.

What about 2GB VRAM for a HD4890/4870 or a GTX285/275(1792GB)?

Could that help with resolutions of 1920x1200 or 1680x1050 with a fillrate >100% for ArmA2?

Could that help with resolutions of 1920x1200 or 1680x1050 with a fillrate >100% for ArmA2?

It might but you still won't have playable fps (30+) if you want to max out everything. Stick to a 4890.

No point in getting the 2GB versions. The regular 1Gb versions are just as good.

8. Socket 1366 is already obsolete and the only possible upgrade choices for it will be the 6 core Extreme Edition Gulf Town die shrink of Bloomfield. Not to mention LGA 1366 will be replaced by LGA 1156 in Q3/Q4.

Where the hell do you get your info from? 1366 is not being replaced by 1156,.. 1156 is for mainstream core i5, while 1366 will continue to be enthusiast+. While i5 will be the first with westmere architecture, thats only untill q1 2010.

Where the hell do you get your info from? 1366 is not being replaced by 1156,.. 1156 is for mainstream core i5, while 1366 will continue to be enthusiast+. While i5 will be the first with westmere architecture, thats only untill q1 2010.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2009/06/05/confirmed-core-i7-920-940-950-to-go-soon/1. Just so that you know Lynnfield will use the i7 name not the i5 as Intel confirmed. Westmere will not use i5 name as no one knows what name it will use and neither do you. Next time before you attack someone you should reconsider ;).

I know building my own computer would help, but I would like some some some people to tell me which parts I would to build a gaming PC with the recommended system requirements so I can run ArmA 2. I'm not a big expert on computers nor am I a computer enthusiast., so choosing which parts are the best is extremely overwhelming and I'm 14 and building one my overwhelm me as well. So I need HELP!!!!

EDIT: My sister's friend knows about computer and he can help me find the right parts and help me build it, so I shouldn't have too many problems. Are you guys telling me to stay away from pre-built computers because of their price?

EDIT: Concerning the Alienware PC, you can customize it by choosing which parts you want for computer. Couldn't I get a good enough PC by doing that? My do that instead of building my own.

If you never built a PC, don't start on a brand new shiny pc.

Most places will have an option to have a PC built for you to your taylor specs. Definately dont learn on new hardware no matter what other people tell you, its silly and although its very easy and monkeys can be trained to do it, its just as easy to fry the thing if you do something wrong.

Here is an example of what I would look for,

http://www.netplus.com.au/online-quote.asp

Pretty much choose what you need out of a decent line up.

---------- Post added at 04:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2009/06/05/confirmed-core-i7-920-940-950-to-go-soon/1. Just so that you know Lynnfield will use the i7 name not the i5 as Intel confirmed. Westmere will not use i5 name as no one knows what name it will use and neither do you. Next time before you attack someone you should reconsider ;).

Well, speculation so far but I'll give you that. Last roadmap I looked at a few months ago looked very different to that.. not the one i read but

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/intel_32nm_westmere_roadmap/

Well definately something I will be looking into, perhaps final nail in AMD's coffin

EDIT: This is the last slide I saw

http://blogs.pcmag.com/miller/images/Intel%20roadmap%200209%20large2.jpg

x58 to get 6C/12T while P55 4C/8T (And other lesser features)

Edited by FraG_AU

Actually, there will be Core i7 and Core i5 versions of both.

Depends on what graphics card you have.

Yes, you will need two PCI-E power connectors for one of them. If your PSU doesnt not have them, there are adaptors available, but the odds are that if your PSU doesnt have two PCI-E connectors, it may not be good enough for the card anyway.

Why not get a HD4890? They arent that much more expensive, yet they are a good deal faster.

Why not get a HD4890? They arent that much more expensive, yet they are a good deal faster.

money, mate. my budget is limited. and i don't want to spend a lot of money only for a machine ;)

Yes, you will need two PCI-E power connectors for one of them.

in fact 2 connectors are for SLi or crossfire stuff. since i don't have the project to have 2 cg cards, this shouldn't be a problem? i'm not an hardcore gamer (i play currently at 2 games). my new rig will be also for 3D programs (to have a fast rendering) etc

Edited by Sennacherib

the difference between both is 50 €. 50€ that i can add to buy a PSU ;)

Yayeeee, I got ArmA installed again, finally, and my video card runs it beautifully on High setting, running it with Windows 7 RC 7100 Build. I havent quite tested on full settings yet but so far I am stoked!!! wooohooo!! :yay:

I might just buy an entire new PC.

In my current one, to upgrade the graphics card i'll also need to upgrade my power supply unit. Then i will probably need to get better cooling and everything argh.

So, replacing two parts is too much effort so you're going to replace the entire computer?

With ArmA2 installed on my Laptop, I am realising that it is hopelessly in the stone age. It can run ArmA1 with PROPER Veg fine, but if I join a server that has terrain on anything but very low (and as such I get given grass) it can get messy in big fights.

However, maximum is £500 for a new computer. It would be a desktop as my Laptop is fine for doing my work on and so if I need to take it with me I still can.

I don't ask that ArmA2 runs brilliantly, or on high settings - normal settings would surfice at a reasonable frame rate.

So, any ideas on what to buy? Cheaper the better, with £500 being an absolute maximum. Current settings taken from DxDiag are below. So anything above this would be brilliant.

Intel T2050 1.60GHz; 512MB RAM; ATI Mobility Radeon X1300

Building an entirely new computer from scratch for £500 is going to be a squeeze. It's doable, but if you have a desktop from which you can upgrade, it would help alot.

Right now i can use the Windows 7rc , or Vista. Does anyone have a greater performance in one or the other? I have played in Vista and its pretty good but its been crashing and now Vista has been crashing all together so if its worth it for me to fix it i will but if not ill install in Win 7.

I tried under both, and personally I prefer windows 7 as an operating system but Vista ran slightly faster, plus I had some other issues arise under Windows 7 that kinda made it a better choice for me to stick with Vista.