Sign in to follow this  
Victor_S.

PC Discussion Thread - All PC related in here.

I'm not entirely sure whether most graphics cards (even the high end ones) actually take full use of PCI-E 2 or x16 slots.

That's exactly what a friend told me, which is why I was hesitating to order the motherboard. But now I've gone and done it anyway. :D

As a total watercooling n00b, I thought I'd ask this before my gear arrives from the States.

- I understand the difference between barbs and compression fittings. But... how exactly do compression fittings work? Where does the tube go? Does it go between the outer ring and the inner thread and is then screwed tight? A diagram would be superb.

Can anybody explain why and how there are differences between 60fps and 300 fps in games like CoD2 and CS? Maybe a link to some actual proof?

Can anybody explain why and how there are differences between 60fps and 300 fps in games like CoD2 and CS? Maybe a link to some actual proof?

The human eye cannot distinguish beyond 60fps so It doesn't matter. Some would say it is more smooth but how can they can they tell if we cannot distinguish details beyond 60fps.

The human eye cannot distinguish beyond 60fps so It doesn't matter. Some would say it is more smooth but how can they can they tell if we cannot distinguish details beyond 60fps.

Here we go again... yes the human eye can distinguish wayyy beyond 60fps. They don't have 400fps displays on military planes for no reason...

Whether that is true or not, you also have to take into account that monitors can only refresh so many times per second. In the case of the average LCD computer monitor, it's 60 times per second. Surely there's no point in having anything more than what your monitor can keep up with?

They don't have 400fps displays on military planes for no reason...

Are you saying that the displays can handle 400 refreshes per second, or that the computer is fast enough to run the simulation at 400FPS? Because if it's the latter, or both, it's not a valid comparison. If it's the latter - maybe they want it to run far faster than it needs to be to avoid potential hiccups?

Edited by echo1

I think it's just shoddy engine development, because you've got higher FPS the game engine can handle more calculations per second/frame. Some 14 year olds pissed me off with their logic, which due to shoddy engines is possible.

You can distinguish a difference between 60fps and 300fps, but for example your average LCD screen is locked at 60hz, which is basicly the refresh rate it gets from the GFX card, not the actual refresh rate of the screen.

You can distinguish a difference between 60fps and 300fps, but for example your average LCD screen is locked at 60hz, which is basicly the refresh rate it gets from the GFX card, not the actual refresh rate of the screen.

That's what I meant, I just described it badly :p

Ok, just bought:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 8x

EVGA GTX 285 1 GB DDR3

GIGABYTE UD3L mobo

Corsair XMS2 2gb ddr2 mem sticks

160gb SATA hard drive

what do you guys think? AS for G card, should I have just went with a GTX 260 for about 100 dollars less instead of the GTX 285?

Edited by Chammy

A GTX275 might have been a better choice in terms of value for money, but other than that it's quite good.

@MadDogX: Here is a test with PCIe 1.1/2.0, it depends on the game.

@MehMan: For the first COD, there was a reason for high framerates. It uses the Quake 3 Engine, and if you capped them at a specific number (just googled: 43,76,125,140,180,333) you could jump further and higher.

Edit: Explanation, and it seems to be relevant for COD 1-4 (I guess that also means 5)

Now some questions: I want to upgrade, as I see it now it will be a Q9550 and Radeon 4890 Vapor-X. Is my current power supply strong enough?

I have got a Bequiet Straight Power 550W, apart from the new cpu and graphics card I got a Gigabyte P35 DS3R, 4GB DDR2, 3 HDDs, X-Fi + 2 DVD drives.

Currently I use a Scythe Mine Rev.B as CPU cooler, will that one work better than the Boxed one for the new CPU?

Edited by Scruffy

That's what I want! Graphs, charts, and most importantly shabby non float point calculations or at least not defining a maximum. Pretty shabby that because of rounding up you can jump higher and run faster.

Now some questions: I want to upgrade, as I see it now it will be a Q9550 and Radeon 4890 Vapor-X. Is my current power supply strong enough?

I have got a Bequiet Straight Power 550W, apart from the new cpu and graphics card I got a Gigabyte P35 DS3R, 4GB DDR2, 3 HDDs, X-Fi + 2 DVD drives.

Currently I use a Scythe Mine Rev.B as CPU cooler, will that one work better than the Boxed one for the new CPU?

Off the top of my head, a 550W unit should be enough to run that spec. If you want to confirm for yourself, check out this site.

And just about any cooler is going to be better than the stock one. Try googling it and seeing if there are any good reviews out there.

That's what I meant, I just described it badly :p

That's why 120Hz displays are starting to hit the market. Like the Samsung 2233rz 22" or Viewsonic vx2265wm 22".

Hey guys,

I own a eVGA 8800GT 512MB, and I'm planning to get the GTX260 896MB DDR3.

I saw videos of a guy on YouTube, who owns an HD4870 and he has an AMD X2 6000+!!! and he's playing on high and very high with 30FPS.

I have the X2 6400+ and the GTX260 core 216 is faster than the HD4870.

Right now with the 8800GT I am getting like 18-20Fps on low-medium settings.

Think the GTX260 will make big difference?

I have the X2 6400+ and the GTX260 core 216 is faster than the HD4870.
In some games it is, but according to recent benchmarking ArmA 2 performs better on ATI hardware.

-.- shit. I already transferred the money. So the GTX260 will suck?

It won't, it more than fast enough. And I've seen some people have problems with ATI cards over in the ArmA 2 section... So you're neither option is guaranteed to be better than the other.

GTX260 core 216 is faster than the HD4870.

That's debateable, but they're both in the same rough ballpark, so you should be able to get good frame rates from it.

Well I have transferred the right amount of money for GTX260 and I still need to buy TrackIR, so I think and hopefully will be good with the GTX260.

But the GTX260 totally outperforms 8800GT no? :P Like MEGA?

But the GTX260 totally outperforms 8800GT no? :P Like MEGA?

It is even better than my old 8800GTX......not much, but very noticeable.

The way it handles ArmA and HDR, has improved the most.

I could see someone claiming "mega" difference between the 8800GT vs GTX260.

hi,

i'm going to modify my current pc with a new CPU. what other components should i change? motherboard, ram?

pc knowledge = 0 :butbut:

What CPU would be nice for Arma2 at an average price ?

my cg card will be an ati hd 4850.

What sort of CPU do you have at the moment?