Sign in to follow this  
Victor_S.

PC Discussion Thread - All PC related in here.

No no, I press the reboot button after the pc freeze, not the pc freeze and reboot itself. Anyway I am using e6600 without O/c the jump of temp. is because the CPU suddently runs in full power and the weather here is getting warmer, it is still mostly 34 degrees when in idle.

The old display card usually runs at 69 degrees through, that's how hot 8800 is. But it seems the fan have stop runninng, and therefore burn the card. I have installed a new gtx 260+ last night and everything is fine again.

As for psu, it's a cheap gtx ap550x 500w output and I never think it can run SLI even they claim it can, anyway it does the job for single card config.

As for psu, it's a cheap gtx ap550x 500w output and I never think it can run SLI even they claim it can, anyway it does the job for single card config.

Mhmm, just be careful with those cheap PSUs, they don't tend to last long. They can be working fine for a year or two and then suddenly kaput. If you get problems with the new card, get yourself a new PSU.

Mhmm, just be careful with those cheap PSUs, they don't tend to last long. They can be working fine for a year or two and then suddenly kaput.

Yeah, and risking other components as well, not worth it, better buy high-quality PSU, as it's the most important component.

hey, so i am looking for setting up a desktop pc once again since my not so beloved macbook pro decided to pass away the other day (along with a shitload of work and other data that i did not want to go down the toilet :icon_neutral:).

i still have some pc components that i can reuse: case, cpu cooler fits S775 and S1366, psu, hdd's and my old optical drives.

The main thing that i am doing with my pc is using 3d and 2d applications (3ds Max etc. and Photoshop) aswell as some gaming mostly (Arma1/2).

So i need some advice one what to get. I broke my options down into two variants:

1:

CPU: Intel Core i7-920

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5

RAM: Patriot Viper DIMM Kit 6GB PC3-12800U

GFX: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 285

~850 Euros

2:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 (E0)

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P, P45

RAM: Corsair XMS2 Dominator DIMM Kit 4GB PC2-8500U

GFX: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 285

~640 Euros

So is the i7 worth the extra 200 bucks or will a C2D give me the same performance for less bucks if i overclock it?

Oh and another, final question. Will i be able to keep my current psu (Be Quiet ~500 Watt) or do i have to get something bigger for my setup?

Edited by Johannes

Hi Jonny.

First I gotta say, that I feel sorry for the fact, that your macbook passed away.

In my book the second system is more than enough, the Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 is enough and the i7 not worth the 200 extra bucks.

There is a performance difference between the IC2 Duo E8500 and i7 (Even in overclocked mode) but not that big, that it is really worth the extra 200€'s or 250$'s.

As Takko said, at the moment i7 is not worth extra money, I suggest you to go with second configuration.

As for PSU, yeah it will be enough, if that's the model with 2 separate 12V lines with 20 ampere each.

hey, so i am looking for setting up a desktop pc once again since my not so beloved macbook pro decided to pass away the other day (along with a shitload of work and other data that i did not want to go down the toilet :icon_neutral:)

Unless its the hard drive that's died, try this - Grab yourself an external 2.5" hard drive USB enclosure (I recommend the Akasa EP2 series if you can get them) Remove the hard drive from the Mac and put it inside the enclosure. Now, you'll need to get yourself your hands on another Mac because PCs cant read the Mac file system, and connect the enclosure. You should be able to access your data that way.

So i need some advice one what to get. I broke my options down into two variants:

1:

2:

So is the i7 worth the extra 200 bucks or will a C2D give me the same performance for less bucks if i overclock it?

Oh and another, final question. Will i be able to keep my current psu (Be Quiet ~500 Watt) or do i have to get something bigger for my setup?

Mhmm. How is it that it's only costing you $200 more for the Core i7? Considering the cost of DDR3 ram and Socket 1366 motherboards, I thought it would be more like $500? If you can get it for $200 more, I'd say go for it - you get to future proof your computer by getting the new Intel socket. Theyre supposed to great overclockers too.

And yeah, your PSU should do the trick. Be Quiet is a good brand.

Edited by echo1

Mhmm. How is it that it's only costing you $200 more for the Core i7? Considering the cost of DDR3 ram and Socket 1366 motherboards, I thought it would be more like $500?

As I can see, difference is ~200 € or ~300$ :wink:

Unless its the hard drive that's died, try this - Grab yourself an external 2.5" hard drive USB enclosure (I recommend the Akasa EP2 series if you can get them) Remove the hard drive from the Mac and put it inside the enclosure. Now, you'll need to get yourself your hands on another Mac because PCs cant read the Mac file system, and connect the enclosure. You should be able to access your data that way.

The issue is that there are two different file systems on the HDD (HFS Plus for Mac OS:X and NTFS for WinXP). So there were some issues when recovering the files before sending the whole macbook, including the hdd, to apple for repairs. So i guess that the most of the data is lost.

Mhmm. How is it that it's only costing you $200 more for the Core i7? Considering the cost of DDR3 ram and Socket 1366 motherboards, I thought it would be more like $500? If you can get it for $200 more, I'd say go for it - you get to future proof your computer by getting the new Intel socket. Theyre supposed to great overclockers too.

The DDR3 Ram got quite cheap over the last few months (the kit i listed comes at a price tag of just 80 Euros...)

Anyway i am probably going for the i7 System then as it is probably giving me the better overall performance once i overclock it a bit ...

vista 32mb

8800gts 320mb

dual core 6400

2gigs of ram

run's aa1 a treat aa2 is pretty much the same engine right?

I've got a question about mouse software. Last year I chose to buy the Saitek Cyborg mouse but I never really got the software going for it. Until recently I didn't feel the pain too much of not having every button of it functional, but recently me and some friends decided to go for some old-school fun but I found that the game in question didn't support more than the two buttons and scroll wheel of it. Since Saitek's own software does not seem to work, even having installed the profile-creating software, I was wondering if there was some sort of third-party software that would enable my mouse to emulate certain keystrokes?

vista 32mb

8800gts 320mb

dual core 6400

2gigs of ram

run's aa1 a treat aa2 is pretty much the same engine right?

Well, it's an improved engine, so it will have higher requirements. That said, it will probably run just fine on your PC, maybe just not maxed out.

Btw - It's Vista 32 bit not mb :)

Oh yeah haha

i bought this system laster year, if i only i would of known about quad core then lol :bounce3:

anyway i'm thinking about upgrading my card too a 9500 1gb..

what do you think?

The GeForce 9500 would be slower than your current card. If you wanted a worthwhile upgrade, you'd want to look at something like the GTX275 or Radeon HD4890. However, considering that the 8800GTS is still a reasonably fast card, I'd wait a few months until the DirectX 11 cards come out.

The GeForce 9500 would be slower than your current card. If you wanted a worthwhile upgrade, you'd want to look at something like the GTX275 or Radeon HD4890. However, considering that the 8800GTS is still a reasonably fast card, I'd wait a few months until the DirectX 11 cards come out.

I nearly bought one earlyer thanks for saving me some money :O

Dx11 i see, but would that mean me upgrading too windows 7?

the GTX275 is a little over my budget i want too spend no more than £100

my 8800 gts is the Pny version 320mb... any other cards you can think of that would be a reasonable upgrade for the price?

No, you wouldn't have to upgrade to Windows 7 to use a DirectX 11 card, you'd only need it if you wanted to use DirectX 11-specific features, but games that use them won't be out for a long long time. That said - Windows 7 will be a good upgrade, particularly if you're using Vista :p

And no, for £100, you will not get anything that represents a worthwhile upgrade over your current card.

God damn it ATI sucks with xp64 driver support. I only have one driver that works. ONE! There's the ones on the CD that work and 9.1. All others, BSOD. And I'm not alone. Does anybody have any expirence with nvidia's xp64 support?

Edited by MehMan
x64 -> xp64

@MehMan

I have a HD4870 (Sapphire) with 512 MB Vram, i'm using Vista Business x64 and everything works fine. I have updated drivers as they were released and i've never had problems.

For me it sounds more as a hardware issue than a driver issue.

XP64, not Vista. Vista is fine, but XP64 is not. There's a bunch of us that can only use a few drivers. I'm curious to see how nvidia drivers handle XP64.

I'm sorry, i thought you speak about Vista x64. XP64 is pretty rarely used exactly because of really bad driver support.

God damn it ATI sucks with xp64 driver support. I only have one driver that works. ONE! There's the ones on the CD that work and 9.1. All others, BSOD. And I'm not alone. Does anybody have any expirence with nvidia's xp64 support?
Yes, it's crap aswell. At least with the 8800GT.

My HD4870 1GB works flawlessly though.

Avoid XP64 anyway you can, it's even worse than Vista.

Edited by SgtH3nry3

The problem is I hate Vista with a passion and Windows 7 is a fair bit away. So I'm stuck with it.

Just download the Windows 7 beta. It's more than stable enough to be used as a main operating system. The release candidate will be out within the next month or two as well.

Is it still downloadable? I've been oggling it for a while, heard good things.