Sign in to follow this  
Victor_S.

PC Discussion Thread - All PC related in here.

I've finally settled on a Q9550 quad core. Its a good decision over the 9650. Oh and P45 boards should be available Juneish.

I've finally settled on a Q9550 quad core. Its a good decision over the 9650. Oh and P45 boards should be available Juneish.

Why not get an X48 board?

Because

A. Im an Asus fanboy.

B. P5E3 Premium is not ROG and I want ROG.

C. Rampage Formula is not DDR3.

D. I will only get Rampage Extreme (X48) if it will ever show light.

Because

A. Im an Asus fanboy.

B. P5E3 Premium is not ROG and I want ROG.

C. Rampage Formula is not DDR3.

C. DDR3 is pretty useless at the moment, and will be for the next year or so. Its just too expensive and doesn't offer enough benefits over DDR2 to be worth buying.

B. What difference does it make? Its some marketing gimmick, and it seems to me that Asus is using it as an excuse to sell off overpriced boards.

A. Right... Come back to us when you're older than 13 smile_o.gif

I've always trusted Asus products and will never go to nvidia's side (evga or xfx motherboards). I'm gonna wait till a few months from now and see what boards are available for my Q9550 monster. Alsp please dont even mention DFI/ABIT or Gigabyte rofl.gif

Alsp please dont even mention DFI/ABIT or Gigabyte  rofl.gif

Why not, I have used Abit and Gigabyte boards plenty of times and they have worked excellently. Whats your experience with 'em?

Not so great with them on much older builds I had , its just like my experience with ATI and their drivers banghead.gif. If it does come down to brands then I would go with ASUS and then eVGA and then XFX but none other.

Fair enough, but this is a thread about asking questions, not proclaiming your fanboy-ness biggrin_o.gif

Hello,

Was wondering if anyone could please help me with a GPU problem i'm stuck on.

It is a 7900GT 256mb.  When it play arma I get some wierd light/shadow thing that follows me round everywhere.  It shows up at night, on cloudy days ect ect.  I was told wierd things happened with it in other games in which it had odd pixel stretching which went from one side of the screen to the other.  I have the latest Nvidia drivers installed.

This is the Dxdiag from it, which picked up some errors.. anyone know what any of it means and what I should do?

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 5/22/2008, 15:13:16

Machine name: ATHLON64X2

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp.080413-2111)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: System manufacturer

System Model: System Product Name

BIOS: Phoenix - Award BIOS v6.00PG

Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz

Memory: 2048MB RAM

Page File: 323MB used, 3616MB available

Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 5.03.0001.0904 32bit Unicode

------------

DxDiag Notes

------------

DirectX Files Tab: No problems found.

Display Tab 1: Problems were found in the system registry.  Details are available in the saved text file. You should reinstall DirectX to get the latest version. DirectDraw test results: All tests were successful. Direct3D 7 test results: All tests were successful. Direct3D 8 test results: All tests were successful. Direct3D 9 test results: All tests were successful.

Sound Tab 1: No problems found.

Music Tab: No General MIDI DLS file was specified in the registry.

Input Tab: Problems were found in the system registry.  Details are available in the saved text file.

Network Tab: The registry information for the service provider 'DirectPlay8 TCP/IP Service Provider' is missing or damaged.  You should reinstall DirectX. The registry information for the service provider 'DirectPlay8 IPX Service Provider' is missing or damaged.  You should reinstall DirectX. The registry information for the service provider 'DirectPlay8 Modem Service Provider' is missing or damaged.  You should reinstall DirectX. The registry information for the service provider 'DirectPlay8 Serial Service Provider' is missing or damaged.  You should reinstall DirectX. The registry information for the service provider 'Internet TCP/IP Connection For DirectPlay' is missing or damaged.  You should reinstall DirectX. The registry information for the service provider 'IPX Connection For DirectPlay' is missing or damaged.  You should reinstall DirectX. The registry information for the service provider 'Modem Connection For DirectPlay' is missing or damaged.  You should reinstall DirectX. The registry information for the service provider 'Serial Connection For DirectPlay' is missing or damaged.  You should reinstall DirectX. You should reinstall DirectX to get the latest version. Problems were found in the system registry.  Details are available in the saved text file.

Registry Errors Found:

Key 'HKCR\CLSID\{4516EC43-8F20-11d0-9B6D-0000C0781BC3}\InprocServer32' is missing.

Key 'HKCR\CLSID\{4516EC43-8F20-11d0-9B6D-0000C0781BC3}\InprocServer32' is missing.

Key 'HKCR\CLSID\{4516EC43-8F20-11D0-9B6D-0000C0781BC3}' is missing.

Key 'HKCR\DirectXFile\CLSID' is missing.

Key 'HKCR\DirectXFile' is missing.

Key 'HKCR\CLSID\{4516EC41-8F20-11d0-9B6D-0000C0781BC3}\InprocServer32' is missing.

Key 'HKCR\CLSID\{4516EC41-8F20-11d0-9B6D-0000C0781BC3}\InprocServer32' is missing.

Key 'HKCR\CLSID\{4516EC41-8F20-11d0-9B6D-0000C0781BC3}' is missing.

Key 'HKCR\Direct3DRM\CLSID' is missing.

Key 'HKCR\Direct3DRM' is missing.

Key 'HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Direct3D\DX6TextureEnumInclusionList\8 bit Luminance' is missing.

Key 'HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Direct3D\DX6TextureEnumInclusionList\24 bit BumpLum DuDv' is missing.

Key 'HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Direct3D\DX6TextureEnumInclusionList\16 bit Luminance Alpha' is missing.

Key 'HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Direct3D\DX6TextureEnumInclusionList\16 bit BumpLum DuDv' is missing.

Key 'HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Direct3D\DX6TextureEnumInclusionList\16 bit Bump DuDv' is missing.

Key 'HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Direct3D\Drivers\RGB Emulation' is missing.

Key 'HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Direct3D\Drivers\RGB Emulation' is missing.

Key 'HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Direct3D\Drivers\Ramp Emulation' is missing.

Key 'HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Direct3D\Drivers\Direct3D HAL' is missing.

Key 'HKCR\CLSID\{4FD2A832-86C8-11d0-8FCA-00C04FD9189D}\InprocServer32' is missing.

Key 'HKCR\CLSID\{4FD2A832-86C8-11d0-8FCA-00C04FD9189D}\InprocServer32' is missing.

Key 'HKCR\CLSID\{593817A0-7DB3-11CF-A2DE-00AA00B93356}\InprocServer32' is missing.

Key 'HKCR\CLSID\{593817A0-7DB3-11CF-A2DE-00AA00B93356}\InprocServer32' is missing.

Key 'HKCR\CLSID\{593817A0-7DB3-11CF-A2     DDraw Status: Enabled

D3D Status: Enabled

AGP Status: Enabled

DDraw Test Result: All tests were successful.

D3D7 Test Result: All tests were successful.

D3D8 Test Result: All tests were successful.

D3D9 Test Result: All tests were successful.

I have tried updating the direct X but an error like this comes up..

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">A cabinet file cannot be trusted...

Reading up on that , I found it was a common problem and tried all the suggestions but nothing worked.   Reading the dxlogs the file dxupdate.cab seemed to be corrupt but deleting/replacing it didn't seem to work as it just seemed to revert back to the corrupt one.

I ended up getting hold of the redist version from march 2008 which installed fine (full package, not an updater program).  I have since removed directx and then run the installer again but the same error shows up in the logs.

Any ideas welcome as i'm out of them.

As inefficient as it may seem, you might want to try reinstalling Windows... Unless anyone has any better ideas.

Can you set your system back to an earlier restore point?

Before you run a re-installation of the OS, try the system repair function from the WinXP install disk. Dunno if that works properly, but it`s worth a try.

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion I will give that a try. I have one question about that though..

When I brought the computer the guy made a partition in the drive, will this still be there if we reinstall?

I am not certain but I think this could be the issue with the graphics card (don't think it is releated to the directx error).

http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t38597.html

I think it is abit too old to send back so I will probably get a new one.

I found this list about prices in my country for 8800Gt 512mb. Anyone have any suggestions on which is the best, under about ~$330? Or is there even a difference at all?

http://www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_11782.html

Will keep looking it up anyway, thanks again for the suggestion.

An re-installation will "kill" the current Windows installation, but will not do anything to other partitions than drive C:.

For the graphics card you should have a look at the GPU and Ram clocking, cards with cheaper Ram modules can`t run at full speed and will be clocked lower than the standard, same goes to the GPU.

Hey I'm getting a new mobo in a couple weeks, after I install it do I need to reinstall my windows? I have a ASUS now and getting a new EVGA.

Thanks

With an new (different) mainboard you have to reinstall Windows to make sure it works fine.

I`m no fan of re-installing the OS, my current OS was installed at the 22.01.2006, and still works perfect.

When i update computers with new mobo`s for friends, or for me, a fresh install of Windows has to be done.

Usually you just need to reactivate your windows, a complete reinstall isn't necessary.

I have understood that there are some drivers which should be first uninstalled, then you would change the motherboard, and install its new drivers and things should work.

I did a motherboard change for a Windows XP computer and didn't uninstall old motherboard drivers first. Result was the Blue Screen of Death on startup. I then had to re-install as I found no way to get the system up again.

Linux on the same computer did not act weirdly, it dropped hard disk drives to low speed mode for safety but that I could fix without re-installation of the whole operating system.

It is not sure at all that you only need to reactivate Windows. I can imagine that could be the case if the two motherboards have the same BIOS or close the same. If it's not, like in my case, things are quite certainly more difficult.

You should search the web for information about the "uninstall motherboard drivers", I'm sure there are some websites which give instructions about what and how it should be done.

Hey I'm getting a new mobo in a couple weeks, after I install it do I need to reinstall my windows?  I have a ASUS now and getting a new EVGA.

Thanks

You could get away with it, but it would be best to reinstall Windows to ensure everything works smoothly. The problem is of course that if you have an OEM copy of Windows, it will not activate on a different motherboard, and you are required to buy a new copy.

That can't be true, at least wasn't for me.

My OEM Windows XP activated fine after changing the motherboard and re-installing of the operating system (I had to re-install it, because I didn't know that I should have had to uninstall old motherboard drivers before the change).

Has someone successfully updated a few rigs with an new motherboard without an fresh Windows installation, and can confirm that it really works if you uninstall the mobo drivers only?

My OEM Windows XP activated fine after changing the motherboard and re-installing of the operating system (I had to re-install it, because I didn't know that I should have had to uninstall old motherboard drivers before the change).

It used to work at one point, then it got more stringent. In theory, you can ring Microsoft and play dumb, telling them that you're trying to reinstall on your copy on the PC it came with, and it wont work. They can give you a special activation code for it. Ive read of people doing this with Vista. After all, it is your copy of XP, youre not stealing it if you only use it on one PC smile_o.gif

Has someone successfully updated a few rigs with an new motherboard without an fresh Windows installation, and can confirm that it really works if you uninstall the mobo drivers only?

Well my brother claimed that I should not have to need to re-install Windows XP after changing the motherboard. I think he had changed a motherboard without having to re-install the operating system.

I also read about it (afterwards) from several websites that it's very possible as long as (some) motherboard drivers are un-installed before the motherboard change. This concerns Windows XP.

I didn't do anything to Windows XP before the change and the system became unusable as I told, BSOD. The make of the motherboard changed from Asus A7V133 to ECS K7S5A. I have Linux on the same computer so it wasn't a disaster, I could still access the Windows hard disk drive system partition easily and backup what I wanted.

I think this is one of those things which might work or doesn't work, depending on what exactly you have as the hardware. And now we have Windows Vista to add into the mix. The poster to whom I replied did not tell what Windows version he has. But the "uninstall drivers first" advice sounds plausible no matter the hardware.

It used to work at one point, then it got more stringent. In theory, you can ring Microsoft and play dumb, telling them that you're trying to reinstall on your copy on the PC it came with, and it wont work. They can give you a special activation code for it. Ive read of people doing this with Vista. After all, it is your copy of XP, youre not stealing it if you only use it on one PC smile_o.gif

Maybe they have tightened their conditions but I can't know about that now. My copy of Windows XP is from 2001.

When my motherboard packed up i took my PC to a private shop in town, they charged me a 5er to look at it and find the problem, and think it was another 15 to install the motherboard.

they didnt reinstall xp, as id asked them, they just had to change some files. but i dont know which ones.

so it IS possible. i just dont know how.

they didnt reinstall xp, as id asked them, they just had to change some files. but i dont know which ones.

so it IS possible. i just dont know how.

Be careful what people in computer repair stores tell you smile_o.gif I think it would be fair to say that even if it were possible, it wouldn't work nicely. It also would require reactivation ( When things like new disk drives and graphics cards make it cry for reactivation, think what a new motherboard will do). One way or another, its just preferable to reinstall Windows.

elo guys..i'm planning to updgrade my grapphic card..!!!

7600 GT or a 8400 GS...which is better?huh.gif

thnks!