Sign in to follow this  
Victor_S.

PC Discussion Thread - All PC related in here.

In addition to the advice given by Balschoiw, try reseting your CMOS. This is usually done by switching a jumper when the computer is turned off and unplugged. Your motherboard's manual should direct you to where the jumper is.

Errrrrr... any ideas what to do when your caps lock decides to lock itself and go, well, functionless? A girl I know has the problem, well, right now. Feels like she's yelling straight at my face. crazy_o.gif

help.gif

Errrrrr... any ideas what to do when your caps lock decides to lock itself and go, well, functionless? A girl I know has the problem, well, right now. Feels like she's yelling straight at my face.  crazy_o.gif

help.gif

Reboot? tounge2.gif

Right now ive got my eyes on this computer.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">CPU Intel Core 2 Quad Conroe Q6600 2.4GHz FSB 1066, 8MB CPU

Over Clocking Overclocked to: Core 2 Quad 3.2GHz*

CPU Cooling ASUS Arctic Square CPU Cooling Fan

Memory 8GB DDR II 667 Memory 240 Pin (Kingston)

Motherboard ASUS P5K Motherboard

Hard Drive 1 Western Digital 500GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA II

Optical Drive LG 20X DVD RW + Dual Layer SATA w/ Lightscribe Technology

Video nVidia 8800 Ultra 768MB, DVI, HDCP, Dual DVI, HDTV

Audio Realtek ALC883 6-channel 3D Audio

Network Card 10/100/1000 Gigabit Lan Network Card

Ports 6 USB 2.0 Ports, 1 Parallel, 1394a

Neon Light 2 Sunbeam Cold Cathod Neon Light (blue)

Case Raidmax Smilodon Gaming Case

Power Supply 650W Cooler Master Extreme Power SLI RP650PCAR

but im wondering should I buy it and then upgrade the CPU to a core 2 extreme qx9650 ?. My comp at the moment is too old and obsolete and I need to replace it as soon as possible , I dont really mind the prices to a certain extent because I want an exellent computer that can pay itself off within 2 years wink_o.gif. Any opinions and suggestions would be appreciated.

Bad news: it won't pay itself off.

I'd drop the quad core CPU and look for something which is moderately priced.

I'd also drop the 8800 ultra graphics card and look for something which is moderately priced.

I'd also drop the amount of RAM from 8 GB to 4 GB. You fool yourself quite badly if you think you need 8 GB of RAM. Yes it's "better" but you won't get enough return on investment to justify it. This is a desktop computer right? It doesn't look like a server or heavy duty workstation which needs lots of memory.

You can also bring the PSU power down if you follow my advice regarding the CPU and graphics card.

If I may ask what is the reason for not getting a 8800 ultra and a quad core pc ?

They are not moderately priced. I think the return on investment is not good enough with these kinds of products (computer parts). Computer parts keep their value very very badly, thus you will lose a lot of money in a short time if you buy the newest products.

Also consider energy consumption. The cost of running your computer can be double or triple or even more compared to a moderately priced system which doesn't push the limits of the technology (by using more energy to get more performance).

It's of course just my opinion, but I'd steer clear from the "latest and shiniest" products and take something which doesn't cost so much.

I have nothing against the particular products you mentioned, I just think their cost is unacceptable when we take into notice they are just parts of a computer, and that their value will depreciate very quickly.

But if I did buy a QX9650 pc how much time would it last me before it becomes extremely obsolete and outdated (like my current desktop comp). At the moment it is an extremely hard decision to make because i can scrape the money together for the expensive system but i can also save some of it and buy a cheaper system. So i dont know , maybe you can recommend something ?

Right now ive got my eyes on this computer.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">CPU Intel Core 2 Quad Conroe Q6600 2.4GHz FSB 1066, 8MB CPU

Over Clocking Overclocked to: Core 2 Quad 3.2GHz*

CPU Cooling ASUS Arctic Square CPU Cooling Fan

Memory 8GB DDR II 667 Memory 240 Pin (Kingston)

Motherboard ASUS P5K Motherboard

Hard Drive 1 Western Digital 500GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA II

Optical Drive LG 20X DVD RW + Dual Layer SATA w/ Lightscribe Technology

Video nVidia 8800 Ultra 768MB, DVI, HDCP, Dual DVI, HDTV

Audio Realtek ALC883 6-channel 3D Audio

Network Card 10/100/1000 Gigabit Lan Network Card

Ports 6 USB 2.0 Ports, 1 Parallel, 1394a

Neon Light 2 Sunbeam Cold Cathod Neon Light (blue)

Case Raidmax Smilodon Gaming Case

Power Supply 650W Cooler Master Extreme Power SLI RP650PCAR

but im wondering should I buy it and then upgrade the CPU to a core 2 extreme qx9650 ?. My comp at the moment is too old and obsolete and I need to replace it as soon as possible , I dont really mind the prices to a certain extent because I want an exellent computer that can pay itself off within 2 years wink_o.gif. Any opinions and suggestions would be appreciated.

Nice PC for sure

My thoughts...

Why 667mhz RAM? Go with 800 or 1066, not much price difference and more bandwidth

Power supply ok but could be stronger for a system of that nature considering that is a crossfire mb (if you decide to go 2 videocards later)

How would it pay itself off in two years? You use it for work?

Having more than one video card would require AFAIK at least a 1000w PSU maybe even a 1200.

And I too have several questions...

I'd like to buy a new comp with the following specs:

Intel E8400

512 MB 8800 GT (and later another 8800 GT in SLI)

2 gb 1066 Mhz Ram

500gb hard drive (haven't picked one, need advice in this one)

creative X-Fi PCI-E 2.0

430 watts PSU

Estimated price in total €1050,

However..

I've been wondering which motherboard chipset supports PCI-E 2.0 in SLI? I've heard the nvidia 750i supports them as well.. however something confuses me..

http://www.hardwarezone.c...iew.php?cid=6&id=2474

Quote[/b] ]Like its bigger brother, the nForce 750i SLI is really a refresh for the nForce 650i SLI chipset with PCI Express 2.0 compatibility. Like the nForce 780i SLI, the nForce 750i SLI also uses the same nForce 200 chip to provide PCI Express 2.0 features. However, NVIDIA has crippled the chip to only provide 24 PCIe 2.0 lanes in x16/x8 SLI configuration, instead of the full 32-lanes capable of the chip. All other features of the nForce 750i SLI remain similar as the nForce 650i SLI, including the use of the aging (legacy) nForce 430 MCP. NVIDIA's new ESA architecture is also not supported here.

Does this mean that I won't get the full advantage of PCI-E 2.0 in dual gfx card in SLI?

Im not 100% sure how PCI 2 affects SLI performance, but I would say two things:

1) You need a bigger PSU

2) Why SLI? Why not just get one card, and then replace it with a better card somewhere down the line? It will be cheaper and give better performance. SLI is really just a marketing gimmick tbh, its benefits are very shaky and vary from game to game, and it has all sorts of problems... One fast card is always better than two slower cards.

Anyone know the quickest/simplest way to use internet sharing with a router connected to a PC's secondary network card, not directly connected to the internet?

The way I want to set things up is Cable Modem - My PC - Router (using ethernet cable and 2nd network card in PC) - Tablet PC (using Wireless Connection from the router)

Obviously the simple way is Cable modem - Router - My PC & Tablet but I want my PC to get the internet directly because the router is pretty crap for heavy downloading.

While I am saving my funds up I got another question. My mother board is an asus p4p800 se and it has an AGP slot (fx 5200 nvidia) I want to replace it with an nvidia 7 series agp but I dont know if i should get an agp version of 7950 GT or GX2 or even the 6800 XT series any recommendations ?

What about the AGP version of the new ATI Card (cant remember whether its the 3850 or 3870) which would be the best AGP card available. If there is an AGP version of the 7950GT out, then that would be second place. That failing, a 6800GT/GTS is always a good option.

Im pritty sure there isnt a AGP version of the 3870.

Im looking for a new motherboard as mine has had it:( im trying to find one that is future proof and will work with my current set up.

Basically i want one that works with Pentium D and Duel/Quad cores, and DDR2 and DDR3 tech. also 2 PCI-e Slots so that if i do so wish in the future i can have 2 ATi GPUs in Crossfire.

looking at many websites i can see that many motherbaords say SLi certified, and was wondering do motherbaords have to be crossfire certified to work in a crossfire setup?

Afaik they have to be crossfire certified.

f.e. a good mainboard would be the ASUS P5E3 WS Pro supporting crossfire/crossfire multi-gpu and DDR3.

Anyone know the quickest/simplest way to use internet sharing with a router connected to a PC's secondary network card, not directly connected to the internet?

The way I want to set things up is Cable Modem - My PC - Router (using ethernet cable and 2nd network card in PC) - Tablet PC (using Wireless Connection from the router)

Obviously the simple way is Cable modem - Router - My PC & Tablet but I want my PC to get the internet directly because the router is pretty crap for heavy downloading.

You didn't specify what OS but I assume your using XP.

I do exactly as you are on several ocassions (cable modem screws up and only works for one PC on ocassion, router wont get IP)

I have a PC near my cable modem with 2 lan cards for when this happens, I hook the cable modem directly to the pc and use Windows Internet Connection Sharing.

Select the cable modem connection as the link you want to share.

Windows (on the ICS server) will assign a unique IP for the second network adapter (memory says around the 192.168.0.1 range)

On your second pc you need to run the "setup  home/office network" and pick that another computer is hosting your connection

Now you said you have a tablet pc..its been a while since I ran that (I have a Dell Axim PDA and it uses the shared connection fine using activesync or wireless)

You may have to assign the IP within the shared range (192.168.0.2 etc..) or try proxy connection

I believe I only have to shut-off dhcp on my router for this to work (the windows ICS server takes over and the router is just a switch at this point), luckily it hasn't happened in a few weeks otherwise I would remember a lil better

While I am saving my funds up I got another question. My mother board is an asus p4p800 se and it has an AGP slot (fx 5200 nvidia)  I want to replace it with an nvidia 7 series agp but I dont know if i should get an agp version of 7950 GT or GX2 or even the 6800 XT series any recommendations ?

I am not recommending anything per say but I believe the fastest card for AGP right now is still ATI X1950 series (if you dont mind the non DX10 support)

I recently had a x1950gt for my AGP system (altho it died in 2 days,lol)

My only other instock choice was a x1950pro at the time which is considerably faster but from reviews needed a 500watt power supply or better

I chose the x1950gt as reviews from people were stating that they were running it with a 350watt power suppply still.

Check out the performce of the x1950pro..its a good performer and can be had for under 200$ USD

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphic....art=318

Hmm, I was gonna post a link to Neweggs current stock of AGP 12 pixelpipeline video cards but they are sold out of all the screamers

Hmm have a 500psu here. is there any tricky wiring or any tricky installation of the newer agp cards like the x1950 or the 7600gt ?

No but some may use the pci-e connector.

If you have a 500 watt you most likely already have this connector, often a video card will come with the adapter for standard 4 pin powersupply - pci-e 6 pin anyways

my 5200 did not come with an adaptor I just had to put it in and bingo afair.

Thanks BraTTy, will try that out as soon as I get chance smile_o.gif And yes we use XP 64 on both computers smile_o.gif

Afaik they have to be crossfire certified.

f.e. a good mainboard would be the ASUS P5E3 WS Pro supporting crossfire/crossfire multi-gpu and DDR3.

thanks King homer but thats one expensive card

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/138575

and i think it only supports DDR3 and not 2.

think ill give up on crossfire doubtfull id ever use it anyway, just want one that supports DDR 2+3biggrin_o.gif

To Universal:

A Australian PC mag ( PC Power Play ) just reviewed a Sapphire HD 2600 XT AGP card ( Not an ATI fan, so, not sure if the card is good or bad. ) . They gave it 3.5/ 5 rating. Not sure if they have the review on their web page, but at least it gives you somewhere to start looking.

Happy hunting.

alext223