Sign in to follow this  
Victor_S.

PC Discussion Thread - All PC related in here.

What's the typical resolution it should be set at and at what hertz?

Is it still necessary to turn on antialaising with widescreen resolutions?

Thank you. Any suggestions on what I can do with my crapped LCD monitor would also be appreciated.

Resolution and refresh rate are entirely dependent on the size of the monitor, and the monitor itself. Popular resolutions in the 20"+ category include 1600x1200 and 1680x1050. Larger monitors can handle resolutions like 1920x1200 but these tend to be found in very expensive monitors.

Refresh rates? Depends on the monitor, my one (a 20" Samsung 204B) runs 1600x1200 @ 60Hz

AA is neccessary regradless of monitor, make note that at high resolutions, turning on settings like AA really stresses out your graphics card, make sure you have a decent graphics card if you want to run with decent quality settings, otherwise you will be forced to use 1024x768 or 1280x1024, and you would be better off saving money and buying a 17" or 19" monitor.

Also make sure to buy a good quality monitor. While some widescreens can be bought for less than €300 the quality tends to be poor. Read up reviews of monitors and pick one that has the right balance of quality and price.

As for the old monitor... try using it with a laptop or other computer to make sure your main computer hasnt "Taken a disliking" to it. That failing, try emailing tech support or whatnot.

As for the old monitor... try using it with a laptop or other computer to make sure your main computer hasnt "Taken a disliking" to it. That failing, try emailing tech support or whatnot.

Well yeah, as I said I've tried my 17" LCD on another computer with the same results.

Anyways, my card is a 7950 GX2 1GB. Will that be enough for high def widescreen resolutions? Also running on a Core2 Duo and 2 GB RAM.

Oh sorry, didnt see that. Yes, the 7950-GX2 is a very powerful card, should be suitable for a widescreen whilst using high detail on the latest games.

Any ideas on how I can prevent the same problem from happening to the new monitor I will buy?

Buy a good quality monitor, how good was the old monitor and how old was it?

Buy a good quality monitor, how good was the old monitor and how old was it?

It was an LCD Benq FP757 I bought way back in December 2004. It was working fine until now. It was on 1280x1024 @75hz resolution. Could the sleep mode have caused the problem?

Its hard to know to be honest. I have used three different flatpanels on a regular basis since 2002 and Ive never had any problems. Its quite likely that it just died sad_o.gif

Its hard to know to be honest. I have used three different flatpanels on a regular basis since 2002 and Ive never had any problems. Its quite likely that it just died sad_o.gif

Were they on some kind of sleep mode?

Windows would turn them off after a while of inactivity if thats what you mean. I dont think they had any inbuilt sleep mode. Usually if Im leaving the PC (but not turning it off) I will switch off the monitor, so I wouldnt really know. I have never heard of sleep mode causing any problems so I would just say that the monitor died.

I´ve been looking at a variety of oc pages and forums to see if there is a way to increase the overall performance of my gfx card.

I have a Leadtek 7600 GT TDH AGP card and this hardmod looks interesting

NVIDIA 7900GTX, 7900GT & 7600GT Voltage Mods

What I can´t read from the instructions is if the AGP variant will be as moddable as the PCI-e variant. Are there any differences for voltmodding ?

Does anyone have a 7600 AGP oc´ed and what settings for RAM and Core do you have. I´m currently running mine @ 600:750

It´s not that the performance is bad, quite the opposite, but why waste ressources smile_o.gif

Windows would turn them off after a while of inactivity if thats what you mean. I dont think they had any inbuilt sleep mode. Usually if Im leaving the PC (but not turning it off) I will switch off the monitor, so I wouldnt really know. I have never heard of sleep mode causing any problems so I would just say that the monitor died.

Well I bought a new ViewSonic 22" VG2230wm LCD widescreen. And it looks GREAT! It's like having a new computer!

I want to know if I have to install this so-called monitor driver it came with? I've never bothered to install monitor drivers before even during the days of CRTs. So I was wondering if I should do so now? I mean my video card recognises my monitor so what's the point?

None really. My new one came with some tools for colour settings, but I dont think there any tangible benefit to installing it. Enjoy smile_o.gif

Hi all smile_o.gif .

I orderd my new PC today, Then i will give my old pc to my small brothers, And my paycheck wasn't good to pay a great CBU before 4 months, so here my new CBU:

1- Intel Pantium 4 3.400Ghz.

2- 2gig ram DDR 2.

3- Vedio card 512MB Geforce 8800X PCI Express.

4- Harddisk 80GB.

5- And other things (Mouse, keyboard, monitor, and other).

I hope that i can play Arma\OFP and Many Games.

Thanks.

Guest Ti0n3r

You should be more than OK wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]4- Harddisk 80GB.
huh.gif

You should at least get something with more than 200 GB, keeping in mind that having resident games on it like Arma will already take a big bite of that really small harddisk.

Quote[/b] ]You should be more than OK wink_o.gif

Thank you Ti0n3r  smile_o.gif .

Quote[/b] ] huh.gif You should at least get something with more than 200 GB, keeping in mind that having resident games on it like Arma will already take a big bite of that really small harddisk.

Will I go to a big shop that have every parts of CBU are orginal, and traying to find the Best CBU, then found that one for the games, and didn't was really care about the Harddisk  crazy_o.gif , Maybe I should tell him to make it 200GB.

But agien thank for the Hint Balschoiw smile_o.gif .

Just take 2 of them then smile_o.gif

If they are good and cheaper overall than a hardrive with more than 200 Gigabyte, it´s ok to have two of the same sort in the comp. If they are RAID, it´s even better in case your Motherboard supports RAID.

Else I would be looking for a good harddrive with more than 160 Gigabyte at least.

Where do you live ?

It sometimes pays to look for good prices abroad as they are sometimes cheaper than in original country. You have to add tax and custom fees plus transport though.

Just take 2 of them then  smile_o.gif

If they are good and cheaper overall than a hardrive with more than 200 Gigabyte, it´s ok to have two of the same sort in the comp. If they are RAID, it´s even better in case your Motherboard supports RAID.

Else I would be looking for a good harddrive with more than 160 Gigabyte at least.

Where do you live ?

It sometimes pays to look for good prices abroad as they are sometimes cheaper than in original country. You have to add tax and custom fees plus transport though.

Well, I'm also got my CBU smile_o.gif, And it was 80GB, Because he tell me: We don't have a Harddisk more than a 80GB, And the harddisk Model is Westron digital, I'm also in the next days i will searh about the more than 200GB, And i'm also live in ME If you like them smile_o.gif , And waiting for your awnser.

I don't know what is it about Balschoiw's signature that gives me an instinctive urge to reach out and smash that bug on my screen. rofl.gif

for_Bals_use_only.gif

Just take 2 of them then smile_o.gif

Where do you live ?

For the price of two 80GB disks you can get a 320GB disk and you dont have to worry about the reliability problems of RAID 0.

hi im still new to these forums but i need help

i want to buy a garpics card with 512Mb of ram so my games would work better but i don't know what to buy.

im really going on a limted budget here

my current grafics card was:

ati radeon x550XT 256Mb of ram

i found one that was cheap but i don't know if its good these are the specs(at least what they say on the site)

Sapphire Radeon X1550 512MB PCIe

it costs around 67 dollars

is it good?

I'd personally avoid ATI , had too much trouble from their drivers. My next card will be Nvidia.

hi im still new to these forums but i need help

i want to buy a garpics card with 512Mb of ram so my games would work better but i don't know what to buy.

im really going on a limted budget here

my current grafics card was:

ati radeon x550XT 256Mb of ram

i found one that was cheap but i don't know if its good these are the specs(at least what they say on the site)

Sapphire Radeon X1550 512MB PCIe

it costs around 67 dollars

is it good?

No it wouldnt be any better than your old card. How much are you prepared to spend on a card? The cheapest nVidia card that I would recommend is the 8600GT which is about €130, but to get a good one you might have to spend more. ATi have always had driver problems but their midrange cards are the best at the moment. Once again, depends on how much you want to spend.

Searching for a PHP/mySQL wiz/dev, that could help me with a few things.

Anyone out there, please PM me!

wex

Hey.

A couple of weeks ago my flatscreen Compaq FP 5315 monitor started blinking on and off.

I switched the cables on the flatscreen with the ones from my old monitor and the screen still blinked on and off.

So I put it to a local computer store for them to have a look at. They said it worked fine even when using my computer tower.

I changed the adapter the computer plugs were into and it worked although it did start blinking on and off when I first fired up the computer. I switched my computer off and then on and it started blinking again.

I then switched mains sockets and it was still blinking on and off. So I thought to myself that if the computer store said it was working fine with and without my own computer tower I began removing the peripharels one by one.

Removed the printer, still blinking. Removed the DSl and it still blinked on and off. Removed mouse and it blinked on and off then stayed on once the Windows XP log on screen appeared with the various user profiles. I then removed the old keyboard I had plugged in and it worked, I switched it on and off 3 times and it worked each time.

As a result I bought a wireless keyboard and mouse. Plugged the wireless mouse and keyboard in last night and it still blinked on and off. Restarted the computer and it worked fine, restarted it two more times and each time worked successfuly. Now I switch it on this morning and it started blinking on and off again. Restarted the computer 5 times and it was still doing it.

Can anyone shed some light on what is going on here? I have been trying to figure out what's wrong with the damn thing and I'm now very close to smashing up the entire computer with my baseball bat.