Sign in to follow this  
gonk

Thumb Drive

With the decreasing price and increasing size of Thumb drives. It would be nice to be able to load the game entirely on a thumb drive and allow it to be played on any machine. tounge2.gif

Only problem is the the registery (or lack of it), althought it is possible, it's been done with Firefox (Google for Portable Firefox)

Though that creates another problem : Copy Protection.. Though, personally, I dont' think it'll make the smallest bit of difference (you can install on multiple computers, since theres no way to know if it's the same computer it was installed on etcetc, even Vavles Steam can be put on one machine, then onto another, just not at the same time)

It'd be cool to be able to, but I don't think it'll be offical supported.. I suppose you could write two little .reg scripts, one that shoves the CD key and other required stuff in the registery, and one that removes it

Possible, but I'm not sure how usefull it'd be.. (ignoring the fact I could just play it on my laptop) any place I might want to play it either has non-admin privelages, so you coudln't install the stuff into the registery (I think, could be wrong, but most places lock you from the regedit, for obvious reasons), and chances are they aren't going to be particularly up-to-date computers, and may not play the game.

Any place you might be able to install the registery stuff, you could just install it of the CD/DVD (while it takes a little while, chances are if you want to play the game, you've got a few minutes extra tospare)

- Ben

I did not say it was going to be easy.  But there are some very smart programmers out there.  

I remember BIS saying when OFP first came out that it will never have JIP...but with a rework of the same engine they now have it...go figure.

I know it is not a very important feature, just thinking out aloud.  Yes and it would be for using on my home PC, then when I travel using it on my laptop.  Even to take around to friends homes and show them. Which most people who saw OFP running on my PC ran out an got it.  Most people still don't like to install demos just for the fact they clog up the machine. Windows uninstall is not that good.

You can already do it with OFP... as stated before all the computer needs are a few registry values. So, you could import the settings on each computer.

Just don't expect performance to be great...