Sign in to follow this  
Al Simmons

Radar WIP

Iam working on a radaraddon at the moment. This addon is designed to be used in CTI MP missions. The Commander/Aircontroller can use the informations gathered by the Radarstations to react on e.g. Airraids or Paratrooper operations. In some tests with dummy stations good results were archieved. For example an COC Tomahawk was found and destroyed before he could destroy his Target. Here some sample Pics. pro3.JPG

pro2.JPG

pro1.JPG

*cough*

F3WX_O1_002.jpg

That's the 3WX objects pack, which contains a "radar" which looks pretty much like yours.

If you think i have stolen any material from others you are wrong. First: as u can see on my Pic, there are no textures Why? because the modell is completely new. Second: I think that 3WX Radar is an static object, mine is designed to be an enterable vehicle.

woah hold oyur horses ppl i think he just ment why dont you use / alter theres with permissions rather then make an entirley new one im pretty sure he wasent accusing you of anything

(p.s model looks good btw and its a good idea what your doing) rofl.gif

I was merely showing you a picture of their "radar"

(it's not a radar. It's a bunch of microwave dishes)

How would you enter it? It's a mast with dishes on lol whistle.gif

i think he means that it will have a enterable building or a chair next to it with monitors and stuff maybe? biggrin_o.gif

cool idea , i like the radar thingy, hope you can add some sound effects to it when it spinns and maybe some beep beep sounds too smile_o.gif

Yeah i plan to make a small Container next to the Radarmast in this one the Gunner will sit

Great idea... it will give new options for mission making, i think

Is the actual target information going to be displayed on the map, or will there be a custom dialog created to display the data?

Its a very simple system (no scripting). E.g. you are the Aircontroller (Leader of Group), the single radarstations are part of your Group, if they recon any enemy they will tell you and enemy is displayed on your map. I plan to make it a free for editing, so if anyone has the skill and time ( which i dont have) hes free to improve the system.

the AA turrets can they be made to be any vehicle you want? If i like say want a bunch of dkm tunguskas or m113 vulcans or shilkas romaing around or positioned around my base that can work too?

Sure, if you want you can set up Two Groups. E.g.: One Group consist of 11 Radarstations and a second Group consists of the Aircontroller (You) and 11 Vulcan AAs. With an Actionmenue you could able to switch between the Groups. Or you simply mix one Group, 6 Radars and 5 AAs.

It's an ok looking model. However, personally I think it would be much better if you modelled an actual air defense radar. An example would be the large phased array radars such as the ones used by the Patriot missile system. Or perhaps you could make one of the types used by various Russian airdefense systems such as for the SA-2 SAMs. If you want to save time, the old OPGWC mod pack (which they released for public usage by other mods as long as credit is given) has at least one excellent radar model which I would recommend that you use. My mod is using it and it looks fabulous. We have ours where if it is destroyed, our SAM missile batteries quit working.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Or perhaps you could make one of the types used by various Russian airdefense systems such as for the SA-2 SAMs. If you want to save time, the old OPGWC mod pack (which they released for public usage by other mods as long as credit is given) has at least one excellent radar model which I would recommend that you use. My mod is using it and it looks fabulous. We have ours where if it is destroyed, our SAM missile batteries quit working.

Fansong?

Exactly. What Al Simmons is making is not an air defense radar. It just looks like what you see on top of apartment blocks. It's a bunch of dishes, for receiving signals, not emitting them... There was a North Korean Army pack released ages ago, I can't remember the author (just search ofp.info) which had an air defense radar included which had a cool model...

EDIT:

Here it is:

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/index.php?showthis=4129

Yeah i know that this station is not emiting anything. I suposed this should be a passive Radar, its finding Airplanes by checking changes in the electromagnetical field (dont know if iam completely right with that).

I decided to release more pics and a Beta version, i will pause working on it until i finished my other Projects.

Feel free to modify or improve this addon as long as you give me credits.

Download Radarstation Beta1

Sample mission

RadarIG1.JPG

RadarIG2.JPG

RadarIG3.JPG

Mhm... textures are veeery bad :/ search some new photos...

But it's only a beta, doesn't have it what to complain smile_o.gif

The connex (what in the US Army we call those shipping containers) looks good. Just the radars need a bit more texture work. But I think if you work on that or if someone else helps you on that, they can be made into something that looks pretty good. What the addon looks like is more of a satellite communications type system. That in and of itself however is useful for missions so I recommend to keep working on it to improve it or to work with other addon makers to improve it.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>