Sign in to follow this  
minorthreat

Tonal unit replacement

I started this project not too long ago after playing around on Tonal with the  units and just thought a replacement for them using high quality addons would be cool.  I did a couple of Government units so far using DMA textures and unit bases because i thought it would be just pointless to try and reinvent the wheel.  

Plans:

-replace units with higher quality 3rd party and scratch built addons and textures.

-Make new models for Tonal Special Forces

-fully ECP compatible

-fully JAM compatible

-add some more units

For this roject i don't plan on doing alot of modeling execpt for possibly making a new FN FAL model, "eye-candy" on units, and new weapon varients from exissting weapons.

Anyone who is interested in helping in anyway just PM me or catch me on MSN.  The areas I really need help in is the config and new textures for vehicles, rebel and militia units.

Soldiers

Comparison 1

Comparison 2

I started this project not too long ago after playing around on Tonal with the units and just thought a replacement for them using high quality addons would be cool. I did a couple of Government units so far using DMA textures and unit bases because i thought it would be just pointless to try and reinvent the wheel.

Plans:

-replace units with higher quality 3rd party and scratch built addons and textures.

-Make new models for Tonal Special Forces

-fully ECP compatible

-fully JAM compatible

-add some more units

For this roject i don't plan on doing alot of modeling execpt for possibly making a new FN FAL model, "eye-candy" on units, and new weapon varients from exissting weapons.

Anyone who is interested in helping in anyway just PM me or catch me on MSN. The areas I really need help in is the config and new textures for vehicles, rebel and militia units.

Soldiers

Comparison 1

Comparison 2

Nice work... i make an news on Ofpc for you...

Sweet, fantastic looking stuff.

Excellent idea.

thumbs-up.gif

EDIT: The vehicle textures werent bad at all...its just that the BIS models (T55, BMP,Shilka etc) needed a model change.

This is a very good idea!

Keep it up!

Klavan

Looks good, I like it.

Only problem you might face is that most pc's struggle with Tonal as it is, let alone with "high def" units (especially if you use the newer models for vehicles etc)

Keep up the good work tho, should *look* really nice, if nothing else. smile_o.gif

Looks fantastic.

Just curious: from what DMA addon are these textures ? (shirt & pants) They look very realistic. smile_o.gif

From the look of them, i guess it is from Williec's Lybia, Chad, and Middle East troops.

They can be found there

Looks bloody good! What weapons are you gona use? And what vehicles?

Are you going to update the weapons too? I think they were the only bits of Tonal that were still BIS :P

(except they were JAM Versions! tounge2.gif )

Look's very nice! smile_o.gif

Will it only be released as a replacement or as a standalone addon too?

Thanks All, I'm really starting to get into this and had multiple ideas floating in my head at work haha.

@ch_123: For the weapons I plan to most likely remake the Fn FAL, and G3a3 for the government troops, for everything else i'm looking to use RHS weapons as well as editing some ie. use hidden selection to make multiple variants like Ak's with tapped off clips and such. As for vehicals I'm just looking for nice quality 3rd party addons to replace the BIS ones used like use the RHS t-55 to replace the bis t-55. I'll put together a list of vehicals i'm going to use to replace the old ones with.

Looking good man.

...as well as editing some ie. use hidden selection to make multiple variants like Ak's with tapped off clips and such.

Just a note - you cant use hidden selections on weapons unfortunately, just an engine limit I'm afraid.

As for vehicals I'm just looking for nice quality 3rd party addons to replace the BIS ones used like use the RHS t-55 to replace the bis t-55. I'll put together a list of vehicals i'm going to use to replace the old ones with.

Be nice to see them in Tonali camo schemes biggrin_o.gif

nice stuff! Yeah rhs makes some of the best looking east tanks! thumbs-up.gif would be nice with a few new civilian vehicles to go tonali style like aircraft, boats and cars ya know wink_o.gif

Great stuff minorthreat,

Just one tiny suggestion: could you change the sound of the mounted PK from BIS sounds to JAM sounds, so it sounds the same as the other PKMs on the battlefield?

In the BAS_OPCPP config, look for "class BAS_PK_BRDMMounted" and replace:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

sound[]={"Weapons\AK74full",db10,1};

with

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

sound[]={"\JAM_Sounds\sounds\PKFire.wss",db0,1};

May as well add the reload sound while you're there wink_o.gif

reloadMagazineSound[]={"\JAM_Sounds\sounds\PKReload.wss",db0,0.9};

For my own personal use, I've edited them to use JAM3's mounted MG magazines, but I guess that could break some mission scripts if applied to the official version.

Cheers,

CH

Ps. A TDF retexture of Footmunch's Skyraider would be great, and fairly credible. The French Armee de l'Air used Skyraiders in many African nations including Madagascar next door, eventually donating six to Chad and eight to Gabon. As Tonal is supposed to be a former French colony, they could've donated a couple more to the TDF.  smile_o.gif

Just do the original units first or you could easily loose interest in this project.

Looking great btw and its exactly what Tonal needs.

Here's a good news for you (as I see, you're using Llauma's 2 head), the upcoming update of facestex2 will have nearly 30 African faces as well as some camo ones. No more attack of the clones. wink_o.gif

@canadian terror: tonight i'm going to start working on some rebels so i might have some pics up later, or tomorrow.

@cornhelium: thanks for the could for the sounds.  I really wanted to change them up it always seemed to bother me that the sounds were different.  I'm probably going to replace the pkm model also.

As for vehicles, i'm working on making the textures for the tanks and other vehicles, but for now i'm really just working on the soldiers and weapons, it also doesn't help that i'm really crappy at texturing crazy_o.gif

ANyway thanks for the help and feedback, I didn't think this projec would cause this much attention, i'm glad i'm working on something the community will enjoy.

No offense, but I'd like to have a say about how some of this gets used, and have a hand in quality control.

Nice idea, and as deadmeat, honcho, hellfish, ebud, ironsight, etc know I had already started a Tonal unit replacement pack ages ago. Deadmeat and a few others had been sent a version very similar to this a long time. I just didn't make a patcher and release it.

I like where your going, and feel that it would be nice to have a say.