Sign in to follow this  
monkeyb

Artillery

One mom Garcia,

actually i share your antipathy with games like bf2 cod etc. (at least compared to OFP or RO)

BUT be careful with your words. Saying these games are stupid because you only run and shoot and (especially) don't have to think will offend a lot of people, and by the way, is wrong.

Playing OFP is or can be an art. So can be the games you mentioned. Its just a completely different art, where other values count.

Like if you say tennis is much more stupid than basketball because the ball is smaller (to stick with the example)...

In arcade shooters other things count. most boring imho are reflexes. BUT there is a whole LOT of other aspects, psychology in finding out what the enemy thinks and therefore counter an attack that hasnt even taken place yet...

knowing a map...

improvising...when is it better to seek cover and medkits or return fire....measuring chances

movement, crouching, proning standing, what to use in which situation? hold and take time for aiming or move around in order to not get hit and spraying...

these are just a few.

so would you really say the fastest game is the most stupid? ever had that lucky feeling when for the first time a wall-dodge-double-jump in UT04 succeeded? ;-)

There is a lot of depth in arcade games also (not all, i admit).

I am just taking this defensive position (as i dont like em too much either) because i felt you didnt know something that might be important.

So... back to artillery. I would like artillery to be present on the map too instead of shellspawning scripts, simply because that would make the artillery vulnerable. You could base missions around protecting artillery batteries from different types of threats.

Have different ammo types been discussed yet? Because i would really enjoy artillery launched mines.

I wouldn't say no to a complex system of radars and rocket artiller either. xmas_o.gif (i mean rockets = modern combat, for me atleast ) whistle.gif

I didn't mean there is no use for brains in them, I mean you can be very good in the games without using your brain, which is not the case with OFP. I was playing SWAT 4 back just after it got released. I didn't play it when I wanted a challenge or wanted to think, I played it when I wanted to kill time without having to think about tactics and all that kind of things. I ended up being quite good, and after some time I had to stop playing it because I was being banned from servers because they thought I was cheating. Of course there was shitloads of people that was better than me, many of them were much, much better than me because they thought over their moves, unlike me. In all games you have to use your brain a lot to be the best, but in all those games you don't have to use your brain too much to be very good. In OFP you have to use your brain all the time just to be ok. If you're really good in a game it'll probably be a very good game for tactics and thinking, if you join a clan and play orginized matches vs. other clans, because at that level you'll be playing vs. so good players that you have to, but none of those kinds of FPS games will ever be close to OFP.

Personally I enjoy FPS games, but to me their nothing else than killing some time when my brain is offline.

Now, enough off-topic whistle.gif Dinger, give us that nice arty biggrin_o.gif

Actually, the reason for the low finishing numbers of HL2 ep1 was because of a bug where the game does not register you finishing the game unless you watch the entire list of credits, I and many more just skipped right to the main menu when the credits began, thus according to valve's logs I have not finished the game...

COC UA is awesome, but I'd like it better if BIS gave them the engine structure to interface with (and maybe an interface to give them a run for their money! pistols.gifnener.gifwink_o.gif )

Well, i've read only the last two pages, so sorry if this has

been mentioned already (i don't want be unrespectfull, but

i'm at work right now and can't read much more atm).

BF2 style artellery - has been made lots of times in ofp by the

simple use of onmapsingleclick and creating the shells.

That's nothing magic.

But... whoever has been playing BF (or the Desert Combat mod for BF) will maybe remember how artellery strikes system

was there.

Short summary: one was in charge of a mobile artellery vehicle. Now he could just make the fire and forget mode

by shooting on feeling, or and now the brilliant thing - by

spotter units.

Another guy was using his binoculars somewhere in range

of the mobile artellery, and the guy in the arty unit could

rightclick to change his view into the other guys binocular

view.

This ended up in a way more precise artellery strike, in case

the spotter and the gunner knew how to use it.

If there were more spotters, you could even toggle between

the different spotting unit's binoc views.

I did like this system and i don't understand why EA didn't

keep it that way.

I know adopting this system into ofp would have been way harder since the netcode wasn't perfect for syncronising

the views of different player units.

~S~ CD

While in the "view mode" of the other player you have a small icon in one of the upper corners showing the position of your turret. Two bars on the top and left show the angles ( horizontally and vertically ). So theoretically after a few spotter rounds you can start to hit what you'd like quite accurately on the map- as long as you know its position relative to yours.

I liked that system since it allowed for player skill to come into account. Though the one thing I didn't like was that people would try and steal your artillery....while you were firing it ( especially AI ).

lol yeah i remember that they'd jump into the drivers seat and then start to take of rofl. Any one know what artillery they will have and if it will be moveable ? meaning you can mount up a 155mm to the back of a truck and relocate it etc.