Sign in to follow this  
Grymlok

Question regarding mouselook

Hi all...

I'm new to OFP but I'm already a big fan. I love the scale of the game and the high level of realism, and I'm really looking forward to ArmA (and OFP2, whatever it ends up being called).

My only problem with OFP is that I'm one of those weird guys that enables "Invert Mouse" in every FPS I've ever played. I don't know why, it's kind of like being left-handed (which I'm not... go figure). Inverting the mouse in OFP is a very strange experience though, due to how the crosshairs behave in "normal" view.

As you all know, OFP gives you a little crosshair "mouse pointer" that you aim with, until you move it to a certain point out from the center where it actually kicks in mouselook and rotates your whole view. It's an interesting feature, but as many people have stated, the ironsights are a much better solution for aiming most of the time, and I agree.

To aim well in ironsights, I *need* to invert the mouse. But inverting the mouse makes the default "mouse pointer" crosshair actually invert too! It's extremely bizarre to try to use... when I'm in Windows using a mouse pointer, I use it the same way you do. I don't invert my mouse for a 2d pointer in windows. Mouse inverting is for those of us who imagine ourselves in 3d space a bit differently (more like aircraft controls, forward means pitch down).

Anyway, my question is: is there any way to "lock" the crosshairs so that the "mouse pointer" effect is disabled? Is there possibly some variable in a config file that determines how far from the center of the screen mouselook kicks in, and I could just set it to zero? Or perhaps an add-on that addresses this?

I searched for "fixed aim", "mouselook", and "invert" but I didn't come up with any posts regarding this, so my apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere. Also sorry for the long post, this is just the only issue that is keeping me from properly enjoying the greatness of OFP.

Thanks for any help.

Grymlok

I guess few people ever ran into this problem . . . and I don't think it can be solved, unfortunately. The freeaim is hardcoded into OFP. Bad for you sad_o.gif

I guess few people ever ran into this problem . . . and I don't think it can be solved, unfortunately. The freeaim is hardcoded into OFP. Bad for you sad_o.gif

That's too bad, I was afraid it was something like that. I'm trying to get used to just using it like a mouse pointer as much as possible with invert mouse turned off. It's definitely not what I'm used to for a FPS, but if I just avoid looking up or down as much as possible I can cope with it. Oh, and I completely can't use ironsights. Pretty rough, but I'm coping.

Luckily it sounds like ArmA will address this:

-Is it possible to turn off the 'fixed aim'?

Yes. You can use the old non fixed aim from OFP if you want to.

link

Grym

The freeaim is hardcoded into OFP. Bad for you sad_o.gif

Wrong, the

minGunTurn=-5;

maxGunTurn=5;

values define how much you can aim before you start turning, if you changes these values to 0 you lose the freeaim, but you also lose that typical OFP feeling... wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Wrong, the

minGunTurn=-5;

maxGunTurn=5;

values define how much you can aim before you start turning, if you changes these values to 0 you lose the freeaim, but you also lose that typical OFP feeling... wink_o.gif

Thanks a lot! Where do I find those lines? I checked in all the .cfg files but didn't see them.

As for losing the typical OFP feeling, I may in fact turn it back to normal and just keep trying, but I'd like to see how it feels the "normal" way for me. As much as I respect innovation in UI's, I just want to enjoy OFP for awhile without struggling with an interface that feels alien to me.

Grym

Quote[/b] ]Wrong, the

minGunTurn=-5;

maxGunTurn=5;

values define how much you can aim before you start turning, if you changes these values to 0 you lose the freeaim, but you also lose that typical OFP feeling...  wink_o.gif

Thanks a lot! Where do I find those lines?  I checked in all the .cfg files but didn't see them.

As for losing the typical OFP feeling, I may in fact turn it back to normal and just keep trying, but I'd like to see how it feels the "normal" way for me.  As much as I respect innovation in UI's, I just want to enjoy OFP for awhile without struggling with an interface that feels alien to me.

Grym

Its on the config.cpp or config.bin under the class:man section, you can find it in your res/BIN folder, if its a config.cpp file you can open it with notepad and edit it, if its a .bin file you need to convert it to a .cpp with Binview

Once you opened the file with notepad, press ctrl+F, search for minGunTurn and change the value to 0, but i warn you, it feels really weird in OFP.  wink_o.gif

After you changed the values you need to convert it back to a .bin file otherwise the handgun anims will fuck up, you can convert it back with cpp2bin smile_o.gif

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help. I'm going to try it out, and yeah, if it feels too strange I'll revert back to the regular system and just beat myself to death with it until it feels somewhat normal. wink_o.gif

Grym

Wrong, the

minGunTurn=-5;

maxGunTurn=5;

Damn . . . now I know why I somehow wanted to add "I think" before the sentence smile_o.gif

Good to know.

I gave it a shot but those values seem to work a bit differently than I thought.

MinGunTurn and MaxGunTurn actually deal with how far off center the crosshairs can go left and right. It defaults to 5 degrees either way and the horizontal movement in OFP feels almost like a "normal" fps mouselook unless you increase this value up a lot.

As for vertical movement (which is where my problem lies as a mouse inverter), the values that affect it are MinGunElev and MaxGunElev. However, zeroing out these values simply locks the crosshair to the *horizon*, rather than to the center of the screen. In other words, your head still looks around, but now the crosshair doesn't follow up or down, it just stays pointing out straight ahead.

It looks like I'll be learning to cope with the standard OFP interface after all. sad_o.gif

Grym

just turn the crosshair off, its not necessary at all

it looks bad anyway and shooting is much better in optics view

btw i use inverted mouse too and dont understand what freak you out on the settings. the dead pan?

To aim well in ironsights, I *need* to invert the mouse. But inverting the mouse makes the default "mouse pointer" crosshair actually invert too! It's extremely bizarre to try to use...

If you invert your mouse it is inverted in crosshair mode as well as in ironsights mode. Mouse forward = pitch down; mouse backward = pitch up. I use it aswell. So what's the problem? huh.gif

Hmm I tried it with the crosshairs turned off and while it's not as disorienting overall, the big dead zone before actually being able to mouselook is weird. I'm not sure if this is what you meant by "dead pan", jantenner.

Kernriver what I'm saying is that the crosshairs in OFP act like your mousepointer in Windows. In Windows I don't think *anyone* in the world inverts their mouse. It's a 2d desktop, forward=up and back=down.

Inverting the mouse only makes sense in 3d space: some people think of it as foward=look-up, and some people think of it as forward=pitch-down. As inverters, we're the latter.

The problem is that OFP does a hybrid where your crosshair is like a Windows mouse pointer until a certain point, then switches to mouselook. If you invert it, your "Windows-style" crosshair now goes down instead of up. I don't know how to explain it better than to say, try turning your mouse upside down in Windows and using it. This is what the OFP crosshair-pointer feels like to me if I use invert mouse.

Anyway, it's a neat system and all, and I've eventually just learned to deal with leaving invert mouse off and barely ever using optics (yeah, I know, weird). Honestly though I'm baffled that there's no way to disable it and just use the classic FPS mouselook.

Another thing to look forward to in ArmA I guess.

Grym

Oh, i think i understand now. What you are saying is that you don't like that "gap" between moving your mouse and actually getting in the "mouse-look-mode"...right? huh.gif

And the reason for this is you feel like you are on 2D desktop if your view doesn't move the very moment you move your mouse?

Then you'll be saved by ArmA. smile_o.gif I am glad a feature that we all bitch about will make you play ArmA, and i think you're not alone. Just don't give up on playing.

Too bad you have to play with regular mouse look, IMO ironsights are something you just have to use if you want to hit anything further than 50 meters. Look at the bright side: you've just introduced a new style of playing in OFP. wink_o.gif

Btw, what is now called inverted mouse look was a default setting in the first FPS games, atleast in Doom, Doom2 and Duke Nukem 3D, if i remember correctly... help.gif