Sign in to follow this  
raedor

Football World Cup 2006 in Germany

England hooligan label 'banished'
Quote[/b] ]English football's hooligan reputation has been banished after a successful World Cup for fans, the UK police chief in Germany has said.

Assistant Chief Constable Steve Thomas was speaking after 80,000 England fans travelled to Gelsenkirchen to watch England lose on penalties to Portugal.

Quote[/b] ]German police arrested 120 England football fans in Gelsenkirchen after the team was knocked out of the World Cup.

They said many of the detentions were preventative and added that all of the fans had already been released.

Of the 6,000 people arrested so far in Germany, 711 have been English. Figures revealed that 510 of those arrests were in Stuttgart and 105 throughout the day on Saturday in Gelsenkirchen.

They included 50 people arrested for throwing beer at performers on a stage in the town centre.

Well, of course a UK representative would say that. It would be interesting to hear what the Germans have to say.

Anyway, 711 out of 6,000 is more than a tenth of all arrests. Given that there were supporters of 32 countries there it gives that English arrests were three times more than what would have been proportional.

Of course, the UK is a large country and hence many fans came to Germany and that European supporters in general were in significant majority.

But in absolute numbers it is still a significant percentage of all arrests. It would be interesting to see how many French or Italian fans were arrested (other large European countries that remained in the tournament).

Quote[/b] ]Anyway, 711 out of 6,000 is more than a tenth of all arrests. Given that there were supporters of 32 countries there it gives that English arrests were three times more than what would have been proportional.

Just keep in mind that not all 32 countries had the many many thousands of supporters that England had travelling to watch them. There is an annoying tendancy to label all England fans as hooligans and yobs, but in proportion to the total number of England supporters who travelled out there, it's nothing... confused_o.gif 80,000 odd fans travelled, 700 odd got arrested. Not exactly grounds for broad sweeping statements about how violent England fans are

Still, i doubt this will convince the people who seem to be determined to tar all England fans with the same brush.  confused_o.gif

Damn, what a mad worldcup! Only Italy was judged as one of the potentials on forehand. Portugal and France are in between generations and quite a bit poorer in quality than a few years ago, and Germany doesn't have the talent, but they have the team, home advantage and they are on a roll!

I'm cheering for Germany, simply based on elimination, the others all have something I dislike. France have shown quite some good play too, but if they had only a slightly more difficult poule, they would have been trown out long ago, or do they really improve with their opponent...? Anyway, it isn't the tournament of the spectacular football, but it sure is exciting!

Would love to see a France Germany final

Good luck all!

lol lol lol rofl.gif

C. Ronaldo must have seen that... just reading the newspapers this morning: Rooney: I'll tear him in two (Ronaldo)

Well, of course a UK representative would say that. It would be interesting to hear what the Germans have to say.

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,1908_1312508,00.html

Quote[/b] ]England out, but fans hailed

The World Cup Organising Committee have hailed England fans as the best in the world following a mainly trouble-free tournament in Germany.

There were only a few minor incidents in Gelsenkirchen on Saturday - more than 100 drunk English fans were taken into temporary custody after clashing with the police - following England's epic shoot-out defeat to Portugal.

Given the 80,000 English fans in Gelsenkirchen, the figure stands relatively small - and OC spokesperson Gerd Graus confirmed the very positive perception of England supporters throughout the whole tournament.

"The English fans said before the tournament they were the world champions as far as celebrating is concerned and they certainly lived up to his billing," Graus said.

German enough? smile_o.gif

Anyway, 711 out of 6,000 is more than a tenth of all arrests. Given that there were supporters of 32 countries there it gives that English arrests were three times more than what would have been proportional.

It would only be proportional if there were an equal number of fans from all 32 countries would it not? Do you think there were 80,000 Togo fans in Germany? (for example).

Jumping into complain about England being knocked out like urm... 2 days late but heres my "view" (Or bitching tounge2.gif)

Portugal played dirty as fuck, what a bunch of diving tossers!

Girly haired idiots 99% of them!

Jesus a small tap to the shin and they went down like a sack of shit!

Now being English myself obviously youll think im being biased and such, but id rather a fair game for both sides rather than one side (In this case Portugal) playing like a bunch of diving fannies and the other playing "Ok" (Bar little Rooney having a head fit everynow and again).

I think it was a conspiracy with that bloody ref aswell!

He didnt give a toss when England was fouled but when Portugal was fouled he cared!

Bring on that skeletor looking type dude referee Pierluigi Collina!

Atleast hes fair all round 20collina.jpg

Also Lennon played brilliantly if you ask me biggrin_o.gif aswell as Hargreaves.

And anyone else noticed when they do the "wide sweeping shot" of the match England look like sperm? (Whereas Crouch looks like erm... a huge mammoth sperm crazy_o.gif )

Those penalties were a farce aswell, whilst ok we lost them,

that shot that we took (Lampard I think it was?) and then ref disallowed it because Ricaldo (sp?) said he "wasnt ready" (Bollocks) EVEN when the ref blew the whistle!

Fucking ludicrous!

Kudos goes to whichever team kicks the shit out of Portugal! whistle.gif

Wildo

That was Carricks penalty that was disallowed, i thought that was bullshit too, but it's about time England got knocked out so we can get it all over with! biggrin_o.gif

Well, I'm backing Germany now. They have done well, played good entertaining football, and their players don't dive to the floor every chance they get! (Unlike quite a few teams I've seen recently)

That was Carricks penalty that was disallowed, i thought that was bullshit too, but it's about time England got knocked out so we can get it all over with!  biggrin_o.gif

rofl.gif

Carrick didn't even step on the pitch. You mean Carragher.

Who do i want to win/would like to win?

Italy and Portugal: Cheating bastards!!

Germany and France: Either of them, probs France as Germany are Germany. But i hate Henry, and I like Shweinsteiger. Hmmmmmm.

so now the penalties were forged to? lol

funny that ricardo was the 1st gk in the wc history that defended 3 penalties in penaltie kickout. just for that he deserved to be "player of the match" dont u think so? off course not, i forgot he belongs to the worst team in the tournament... wow_o.gif

That was Carricks penalty that was disallowed, i thought that was bullshit too, but it's about time England got knocked out so we can get it all over with!  biggrin_o.gif

rofl.gif

Carrick didn't even step on the pitch. You mean Carragher.

Who do i want to win/would like to win?

Italy and Portugal: Cheating bastards!!

Germany and France: Either of them, probs France as Germany are Germany. But i hate Henry, and I like Shweinsteiger. Hmmmmmm.

Yeah, whatever.... icon_rolleyes.gif (as if it matters eh?)

@ July 03 2006,16:42)]so now the penalties were forged to? lol

funny that ricardo was the 1st gk in the wc history that defended 3 penalties in penaltie kickout. just for that he deserved to be "player of the match" dont u think so? off course not, i forgot he belongs to the worst team in the tournament...  wow_o.gif

Anyone who has any idea of football wouldn't say that. It's player of the MATCH not player of the penalty shootout. wink_o.gif

The ref hadn't blow the whistle when Carragher shot, at least not on my telly tounge2.gif I didn't hear him blow it when he shot the first time. Though it might have been the broadcast, since the broadcasting of the WC have been generally shite...

Well... they played hard to reach this far, bruised and tired footballers are more likely to go down, not really much of that agaisnt the yellow teeth dumb steaks who were in better physicall condition i think.. they've been sleeping over the whole cup! Now they can go home and sleep all they want nener.gif .

Well... they played hard to reach this far, bruised and tired footballers are more likely to go down,

they must have been beaten to a pulp, and deprived of sleep before the world cup started - that would explain the diving

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2006/teams/germany/5138652.stm

Quote[/b] ]Frings suspended for semi-final

Fifa has suspended Germany midfielder Torsten Frings for Tuesday's World Cup semi-final against Italy.

Frings, 29, was banned for punching Argentina forward Julio Cruz in a fracas which followed the quarter-final between the two countries.

Yeah right, Argentinian team runs amok (read this article), Frings gets a slap in the face (see this pic), reacts... and is banned. Super. Well done.

Feels like ET with n00bs: One places mines, dumb team mates run over them and complain: one gets kicked.

banghead.gif

not really much of that agaisnt the yellow teeth dumb steaks who were in better physicall condition i think..

I'm sure you really don't want to get banned for flamebaiting in a football thread?

England out due to penalties... ha, predicted that on the morning. Didn't see the game though cos I was at work but it didn't really shock me. Then when I was told Rooney was sent off for stamping on someone, well that didn't exactly shock me either, until I saw the footage. How the hell that knob of a ref did not blow his whistle when rooney was being dragged all over the place by Ronaldo is beyond me crazy_o.gif I thought Brazil was bad for diving! Oh well, don't like the game much anyway.

However IMHO football players are the biggest bunch of "poofs" in the world, I'd say around 90% of them need a good slap and should grow up. It just annoys the hell out of me when you see them go down and then they replay in slow-mo and they have been tapped with a little finger on the shoulder banghead.gif

Two days late but oh well, that was my small rant. Play Rugby, a real mans game  biggrin_o.gif

Play Rugby, a real mans game biggrin_o.gif

hell yes.... 40 minutes each way of being beaten up... and we dont fall down for no reason tounge2.gif

not really much of that agaisnt the yellow teeth dumb steaks who were in better physicall condition i think..

I'm sure you really don't want to get banned for flamebaiting in a football thread?

Just replying but dont be mad Placebo, your revenge will come thru...one day smile_o.gif .

Just replying but dont be mad Placebo, your revenge will come thru...one day smile_o.gif .

His comment was aimed specifically at the team, not the people of Portugal. Your comment is playing on an English stereotype and thus aimed at English people in general. Or is there some Portuguese stereotype that you're all "girly haired idiots" that somehow I wasn't aware of?

A very good point, i always thought that the bad teeth stereotype was more of a myth/joke and not taken very seriously... may the football discussion/bashing continue and thank you for putting me in the wright path smile_o.gif .

Play Rugby, a real mans game  biggrin_o.gif

And a game that not long ago England were best in the world at!

I'm rooting for Germany, they've shown the most promise throughout the World Cup IMO.