Sign in to follow this  
codarl

Community: LOOK AT YOURSELVES!

To all my fellow Bis extremists here, I'd like to get your attention for the following: how come that people with such narrow minds play such an open game?

During the past month, there have been three things that made the blood rise to people's heads and nearly led to a protest march to prague. Though these are my personal takings on it, please try to read and understand that what you see can be taken multiple ways!

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>1. Character switching:</span>

You people have been prepared to <s>suck Suma's d-</s> make offerings if you would be able to change outfits ingame, now you can. you people have been willing to sell their mothers if they could respawn in singleplayer-CTI missions, now you can. Guys, I see a Hitman mod! How come atleast seven out of ten people here go insane because of that?!

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>2. Aiming:</span>

Did you ever manned a MG in OFP? it was thesame experience, just static. It's all a matter of what values you put in the config. In ArmA, it will be optional! there is the simple option to go back to the trusty OFP-style aiming many of us liked, and the only built I have seen that had the "fixed crosshair" was the E3 built, and maybe(!wink_o.gif that was so that press wouln't get confused with the idea of not having the gun selotaped to their helmet! or maybe it was just the new animations not being fully implemented!

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>3. AI:</span>

As far as I know, it was stated that the AI was still worked on. It was kind of obvious the AI had little sense of what was going around him. wouln't that mean that maybe they're working on it? making the AI better suited for bigger urban enviroments maybe?!

Early stages of ArmA graphics

Current ArmA graphics

Early ArmA AI

Final ArmA AI...?

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>4. character floating:</span>

Am I seeing this? people are exiting themselves over the fact that if you lie, aiming down, press "*", and look at a soldier's foot, you see there is like.. like.. go get me a ruler PLEASE!

out of all problems, if you have a fit over this, break open the PBO and move the model down a fucking centimeter! are you people afraid of heights or something?

All I am asking here is this: Go easy on Bis, I pity them for having to please people that hate them because an AH-1Z was named an AH-1W, and if you think about it, it is too crazy for words! a small imperfection gets blown to amazing porportions, is there some kind of conspiracy about this? huh.gif

i think its because we all loved OFP so much that we have high expectations for ArmA. nice post tho. smile_o.gif

Best post ever. Not because I agree, but because it was funny! biggrin_o.gif

You must understand BIS sympathizer, that OFP fans do not settle for crap.... even a little crap. If OFP fans liked crap, they would play BF2. You're right that these are only minor details being complained about. But one little fault, plus another, and another.. eventually you have a below standard gaming experience. It's also disappointing that so many of these faults in ArmedA have been discovered and its not even released yet, imagine how many will be found post-purchase. Granted its still in developement and the majority of these issues will be corrected. But it's hard to believe it'll be as sharp as it should once you see in the screens and videos that old junk from our 5 year old resistance is still present... like floating units. confused_o.gif

I agree with 1 and 2. However, everyone is going mad about AI (3) because, IIRC, BIS stated in most previous interviews that brought up the subjet that they would not improve the AI in any greater extent. I don't know about you, but I don't want to play a game where the AI can't even navigate themself to a vehicle - nevertheless fight a war.

I'm not sure about this, because I haven't heard anything about it but doesn't 4 has something to do with the pysichs and collision detection? You know if they'd improved those two (which really needs improving) this problem would've been fixed? I'm just guessing here, I really don't know. tounge2.gif

Quote[/b] ]a small imperfection gets blown to amazing porportions

Quoted for truth.

Seriously, im sick of every time i click on the threads in this section of the forum i always find another 5 page discussion on a minor inperfection that what already discussed to death in the same thread 30 pages previously. Its turns into a big circle of disussion going over the same things over and over intill i new screen or video is release and people start to pick out every little thing wrong

'omg that soldierz left hand little fingers nail is pointing 1.5 degrees teh wrong way!1 this game sux i refuse to buy it and even encourage people to play BF2 instead!!111'

Seriously Arma going to be a huge improvement over OFP in its current form at 75% complete. Most major issues from OFP id presume have been iron out or improved upon. Most of us here have and still do put up with the minor imperfections of OFP to this day and STILL get the most enjoyble experience of any game out there to be released in the last 5 years.

Now give me the same game, with better graphics, bigger and more guns,vehciles, islands, built in CTI, more possiblilties open up for mission making due to character switiching and other improvments, MP JIP, and numerous other improvements and im sure as hell not going to let the fact that the soldiers seem to float .5 of a centermeter of the ground of you look REALLY closey going to put me of buying this game and get another 5+ years of enjoyment out of it.

/rant

Edit:

Also:

Quote[/b] ]Not only that turrets can freely be nested into each other, Armed Assault will enable an open number of custom turrets. BIS already joked about creating some huge WWII battleships with 12 cannon turrets.

Nuff' said. wink_o.gif

rofl.gif   Codarl I love your take on life! I have a mate just like you, ... we spend all our time taking the piss out of everyone we know! Fancy a drink some time?  biggrin_o.gif    Thats-Funneh.gif

I have to agree that your post is spot on though! ...Too many petty complaints about things that aren't even finished! My take on it is to ignore it, which I'm sure is what BIS does too!  wink_o.gif

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>5. Whining:</span>

There will always be some, no matter how much you counter-whine.

And you can play regular CTI alone offline, why would anyone sell their mother just to get the exact same mission started through a different menu?

Nobody is against removing engine limitations but against using character switching in the campaign because it's horse shit.

the character switching in the campaign isnt that optional? so you dont have to switch to another character in a mission if you dont want to, i think it can be pretty funny to use that when you make some sp mission.

peace out

zigzag

Nobody is against removing engine limitations but against using character switching in the campaign because it's horse shit.

Forcing you to use it is horseshit, but you arent forced are you? Just unbind the "K" button and your happy. wink_o.gif

how bout not just pressing the K button. It a whole lot easier. BIS is not gonna hold a gun to your head and order you to change charector.

Counterwhining... rofl.gif Man, someone should compile a sticky of all the ridiculous terms this community has come up with.

all those new terms shows that the community is a creative buch of people biggrin_o.gif

peace out

zigzag

We can only hope the AI in ArmA isn't shit smile_o.gif The other two don't particularly bother me and they can be turned off, so I don't see the problem. In the meantime...

*initiating whining counter-measures*

LALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALA

Yeah, I get that it's optional but it still sucks because that stuff just doesn't belong to OFP. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for having the possibility for mission makers, just against having it in the campaign AT ALL, not even as an option. It takes away some of the unforgiveness of OFP, like say your tank got destroyed but you managed to escape, no problem:

In OFP:

Uh-oh, gotta find some ruskies with AT weapons or explosives. I guess it's going to be a lot thougher mission now.

But in ArmA:

You'll just switch to another tank or a god damn apache gun ship! -> "OMG OMG WTF IS THIS SHIT, YOU USED TO BE COOL BIS" would be my reaction if this is possible AT ALL.

But in ArmA:

You'll just switch to another tank or a god damn apache gun ship! -> "OMG OMG WTF IS THIS SHIT, YOU USED TO BE COOL BIS" would be my reaction if this is possible AT ALL.

Or, when you die you just DONT PRESS THE K BUTTON, but you press Esc->retry, and there you got your old OFP back! (Its what im going to do on the first playtrough wink_o.gif )

*discovers it's futile trying to find a LARGE rolleyes*

(directed at everybody)

Oh please just give it up. At this stage, there's a plan in place and either it's a good one, or a bad one, and you either have discipline, or you don't. Stop the opinion as fact, and stop all the freakin' attitudes. (ya, ok.. me too)

Now, I'll stop the bitchin' too.

(oh, and BIS, we wouldn't be doing this if we didn't we love ya. inlove.gif )

Or, when you die you just DONT PRESS THE K BUTTON, but you press Esc->retry, and there you got your old OFP back! (Its what im going to do on the first playtrough wink_o.gif )

Why cant people like Metal Heart comprehend this, lol.

Why cant people like Metal Heart comprehend this, lol.

It doesn't work that way. IF it's there it is meant to be used.

Yeah, I get that it's optional but it still sucks because that stuff just doesn't belong to OFP. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for having the possibility for mission makers, just against having it in the campaign AT ALL, not even as an option. It takes away some of the unforgiveness of OFP, like say your tank got destroyed but you managed to escape, no problem:

In OFP:

Uh-oh, gotta find some ruskies with AT weapons or explosives. I guess it's going to be a lot thougher mission now.

But in ArmA:

You dont decide whats "right" for ArmA. Just dont fucking use it, jesus christ.

I don't understand why you all can't hold the bitching till the game is out and you actually have something to bitch about.

How about letting me have an early version without MP compatability as i NEVER play MP. Most of the issues that take time to iron out will be MP bugs, so because i don't use that why do i have to wait for that to be fixed.

Now my other point regarding incorrect lettering of vehicle varients. Why add a letter in the first place if it's not correct-why do they have to give us the letter name instead of the more familiar "cobra" or "abrams".

And another..With the implementation of character switching i see a game aimed at "BF2 rambo i don't wanna die when i'm hit once so i will switch characters ingame coz this dude is boring and i wanna shoot my tank gun at those men coz i'm shit at tactics so i'll win by blasting every thing to death" type of gamers.

I love OFP...i have played no other Pc game since 2004..i will purchase armed assault and i will play it the way i like...but!!!

But in ArmA:

How do you know that? It's almost certainly going to be limited what characters can you switch to, which means the mission designer can not use the feature

Jumping to conclusions never works, the game isn't finished, as those two pictures (This to this) shows the game is progressing hugely, so theres a large chance any "problem" you see will have been fixed already..

But, really.. You've (I assume) played a game, for upto 4 years, that has had huge realism "issues", gameplay bugs/limitations, slowly more and more outdated graphics, but you still play..

BIS obviously done something right, and I'm 100% sure there was far more bugs like the ones people complain about now in ArmA, and look what emerged.. You think their suddenly going to screw the game up for no reason?

I doubt it.. Yes, discus stuff, but the near religous-whining over slight problems that probably have been fixed already isn't helping anything tounge2.gif

- Ben