Sign in to follow this  
chipper

Exclusive Armed Assault report

Also what is with showing the root systems in the video? Why would they need the roots unless they will actually be growing! wow_o.gif

This program sounds awesome! I can?t wait to learn more of what it can do! huh.gif

Well if you were to knock over a tree in the game and the bottom was just a cylinder it would look werid. If the roots are there they will be pulled up along with it and it will look more natural. Also maybe it has somethign to do with how sturdy the tree is in the ground. The bigger the roots the harder it is to knock over or something like that.

I think it's the first... for the latter there's always the "config" wink_o.gif

sounds awesome indeed! I just hope Linda wont be using sprites (SpeedTree anyone?)

Well if you were to knock over a tree in the game and the bottom was just a cylinder it would look werid. If the roots are there they will be pulled up along with it and it will look more natural.

... True and I did think of that, however, when a tree is uprooted it pulls up a ‘plate’, which is an area of soil attached to the roots and not just the roots themselves. So if this was the sole reason for showing roots in the program it would be better to show the 'plate' area instead as this is what would appear if the tree was uprooted.

I'm intrigued! .... Me thinks these bloody things are actually growing! Hmm, must be some reason! ... Anybody prepared to translate some of that vid?  huh.gif

I'm intrigued! .... Me thinks these bloody things are actually growing! Hmm, must be some reason! ... Anybody prepared to translate some of that vid?  huh.gif

Well... the lecture has three main parts. First is theory about vegetable physiology (first half-hour). Second is about programming of that physiology. Third is practical demonstration of generating tree in Linda.

For programming BIS using simmilar way like program "Xfrog".

LODs are making in terms of "Degenerated geometry" (what the hell is that biggrin_o.gif )

Layout of vegetation solving Visitor.

Similar program will be distributed, but for now, they don't know in which way. If it will be totally for free to all, or for free only for noncommercial usage.

They're writting documentation at this time.

Is should be available for download this year.

The roots there are for cases when are the tress knocked over. So for example spruce shouldn't have root of oak.

Some simulated features: phototropism, way of branching, level of growth hormones, gravitropism, generating of fruits, etc... biggrin_o.gifnotworthy.gif

I'm intrigued! .... Me thinks these bloody things are actually growing! Hmm, must be some reason! ... Anybody prepared to translate some of that vid? huh.gif

Well... the lecture has three main parts. First is theory about vegetable physiology (first half-hour). Second is about programming of that physiology. Third is practical demonstration of generating tree in Linda.

For programming BIS using simmilar way like program "Xfrog".

LODs are making in terms of "Degenerated geometry" (what the hell is that biggrin_o.gif )

Layout of vegetation solving Visitor.

Similar program will be distributed, but for now, they don't know in which way. If it will be totally for free to all, or for free only for noncommercial usage.

They're writting documentation at this time.

The roots there are for cases when are the tress knocked over. So for example spruce shouldn't have root of oak.

Some simulated features: phototropism, way of branching, level of growth hormones, gravitropism, generating of fruits, etc... biggrin_o.gifnotworthy.gif

Im a bit confused...

This is for ArmA or game2, or for both?

From the Armed Assault report...

Quote[/b] ]A BI-developed vegetation generator, called Linda, is producing varied and realistic vegetation without any handcraft.
Quote[/b] ]To create a more realistic flora, BI is using an only for that developed tool called "Linda". But it is not probable that this generator is going to be released publicly.

...So it appears that they are using it in ArmA also.

Thanks adamicz for that translation, it seems that Jakerod's theory about the roots was right after all!

Quote[/b] ]They're writing documentation at this time.

... this is music to my ears!

Degenerated geometry ...that’s what I thought too and the rest sounds awesome!  huh.gif

Guest Ti0n3r

Nice to hear that It'll be available for the public (in some way) notworthy.gif

Degenerated geometry = bla bla (You'll be able to dynamicly destroy the trees). Just a wild guees.

Nice to hear that I'll be available for the public (in some way) notworthy.gif

Degenerated geometry = bla bla (You'll be able to dynamicly destroy the trees). Just a wild guees.

I would have thought this refers to the way a tree grows old and looses branches etc. They showed something similar in the vid so that is my guess on it!  wink_o.gif

Dynamic destruction of flora and fauna would be a bit much to expect from ArmA! But who knows yet!  tounge2.gif

Guest Ti0n3r
Nice to hear that I'll be available for the public (in some way) notworthy.gif

I would have thought this refers to the way a tree grows old and looses branches etc. They showed something similar in the vid so that is my guess on it! wink_o.gif

Dynamic destruction of flora and fauna would be a bit much to expect from ArmA! But who knows yet! tounge2.gif

I was talking about Game2 though wink_o.gif

Nice to hear that It'll be available for the public (in some way) notworthy.gif

No that is meant for creating lower LODs (they are not using billboard/sprites like SpeedTree as Codarl feared). But dynamic destruction is a possibility.

Would be nice if trees could burn, fighting around some spreading forest fires at dawn would make for an atmoshperic mission.

Would be nice if trees could burn, fighting around some spreading forest fires at dawn would make for an atmoshperic mission.

They won't. Trees in ArmA will be pretty much the same as they are in OFP. With some force they can be knocked down, additionally they provide cover if thick enough. They are a bit waving in the wind or when a helicopter passes, and that's it.

Thy don't damage buildings when falling on them, but simply fall through them. They won't burn or any other similar thing, all of that would require much too many calculations each frame.

IMO people should stop daydreaming when it comes to ArmA. ArmA won't be an ubergame. It will have a couple of additions and improvements over OFP, and that's it. At least 75% of the ideas mentioned in this forum surely won't be integrated due to lack of time or for it being bad for the game's performance.

Let's just wait and let BIS do their job.

Yea I mean I most games like BF2 a fence/tree can't be run over by a tank and simple bumps causing damage to the tank so we're lucky we can run over most objects =).

Yea I mean I most games like BF2 a fence/tree can't be run over by a tank and simple bumps causing damage to the tank so we're lucky we can run over most objects =).

Thats it ! notworthy.gif

IMO people should stop daydreaming when it comes to ArmA. ArmA won't be an ubergame. It will have a couple of additions and improvements over OFP, and that's it. At least 75% of the ideas mentioned in this forum surely won't be integrated due to lack of time or for it being bad for the game's performance.

Let's just wait and let BIS do their job.

The most successful people in the world started out by daydreaming. There's nothing wrong with having an imagination even if hopes for implementation are slim. ...Don't knock other peoples ideas just for the sake of winning an argument!  tounge2.gif

And I agree that ArmA will be nothing more than a turbocharged OFP. But a turbocharged OFP will still kick ass! C'mon, it's already gone from an OFP upgrade to a totally new level incorporating many new things originally intended for game2.

The more I hear about this game the more excited I become, and I personally am looking forward to some great things both in box an from the community!  wink_o.gif

The most successful people in the world started out by daydreaming. There's nothing wrong with having an imagination even if hopes for implementation are slim. ...Don't knock other peoples ideas just for the sake of winning an argument! tounge2.gif

You are right, but still the daydreaming exaggerates a bit in this forum. Guys are hoping way too much, and lots of rumours are starting just because guys say they hope that this and that is included.

The second problem is: Once guys are starting to imagine what could be in the game, they start to nag about what they will get right away. Especially in this forums people start to whine very fast, that not all their imaginations can be implemented. That's where IMO should be a point.

This topic is the perfect example why BIS is releasing so little information. The first pages consist solely of "wow is that great"-posts, but right afterwards the "why can't we have"-posts start. And the latter ones usually go on for many many pages. That's not very motivating for BIS to release info, is it?

I think it's fair to say that the BIS people are day dreamers enough.

I mean, they developed a program that "grows" trees automatically. crazy_o.gif

I'm sure BIS is just racing against a development schedule, as stuff that may be developed for Game 2 will be guinea pigged in ArmA and that they are just keeping development times a managable as they can. Their vision for Game 2 is already my dream concept, they are just wrestling with programming realities.

BTW, I just discovered WGL5 campaign remakes recently. notworthy.gif

Modeling

Modelers will be happy about the new information in the addon sector. Armed Assault brings a whole revolution to animations of models. So custom animations aren’t located in the addon’s config.cpp anymore – they are written into a config file with Oxygen, which is then included in their .p3d file. This way a model can be used by several classes without having to redefine the animations every time.

All of the hardcoded animations are defined with "controllers". This controller can steer several different animations at once – getting rid of any script solution. Animations, also user-defined ones, can be freely nested into each other. If a turret and an MG turret have separate animations, they can be linked to move together. The animation type “rotation†gets a new brother called “translationâ€, enabling linear animations.

And we can reassure you: Airplanes will exist in Armed Assault! ;-)

Music for my ears!

Thats it ! notworthy.gif

Yeah..you'd be suprised how easily you can destroy a tank by going down a steep hill or somethin like that,that games not really friendly for vehicles at shit and the punishing system makes it even worse,hope like hell that AA won't have a stupid punishing system..

Super charged OFP...I would think of it as moreso a VBS1+OFP:E upgrade together,somewhat,most of the features in OFP:E if not all are going into AA,course not many seem to read what OFP:E has so yaknow...perhaps I should give a few examples.

Vehicles have better suspension

Collision is fixed,it is impossible to get stuck within objects now

Buildings feel more solid and obstacles slow or stop you

Vehicles if hit strong enough are randomly moved around rather than bugging into the other,say you drive a 5t truck and slam it into a civy car,the car goes spinning back or it'll be flung off to the side of the road.

Surroundings are full of more life,more vegetation and whatnot

water has moving waves,strength and color depending on the weather.

Water is semi see throug,floating vehicles wheels can be seen through water as well as a bit of the ground below

Smoke seems to move depending on wind direction (how thats adjusted I'm not sure)

smoke will rise higher on clear days and be less angled and will rise less and be at an angle on rainy weather.

Vehicles slow down off road by a large sum,don't even try with civilian vehicles.

dynamic shadows in most cases,soldiers cast shadows on themselves and eachother,the willis jeep with 50cal and soldiers inside cast shadows on it,somehow other vehicles don't seem to have this.

Windows have glare,the strength depending upon angle you are looking at.

Soldiers and land have bump maps,easiest noticed in clear weather,try looking at desert island

Boats will move up and down more and more depending on waves in the water.

Flares cast light on surrounding area's,color depends on the flare

Lighthose has a moving light

Vehicle lighting area is less bumpy on the land,more smooth

Neither buildings nor vehicles crumble like paper when destroyed.

Too many helicopter rockets or tank blasts will cause the players character to go "deaf" for a few seconds.

Helicopters have tail rotor failure,rotor will stop moving and helicopter will start spinning

Water will not kill you in 5 seconds if it goes over your head.

Helicopters will cause more particles over water and the particles will spread less and become 'thicker' if the helicopter is halfway or so in the water.

When you shoot barrels they will begin to tilt,if you shoot enough or in the right place,you can knock the barrel over and it will sometimes spin.

You can run over a barrel in a vehicle and if the barrel gets stuck it will roll with you or turn slightly and roll diagnolly

Most bullets riochet off the ground,wether this works on walls I don't know,haven't tried it yet.

Helicopters with retractable gear automaticly retract and extend depending on how high the helicopter is from the air,landing gear will NOT extend if over water unless the helicopter has come to a halt.

Soldiers and vehicles cast shadows on everything,buildings,trees,etc.

Soldiers can lean forward and backwards and croush to lean forward and backwards,while leaning you can also turn around

Grass and trees will move if a helicopter comes near.

Trees sort of cast shadows on vehicles,however the shadow is blocky. The shadows seen in AA are definatly an improvement.

Fountains contain water within that are animated to move but water does NOT move up and down like the ocean.

That said and the other obvious,thats what I found and if those are in AA,which I'm sure they will be,then thats reason enough.

On a last note,I strongly believe you can be inside or on a vehicle without being pushed off,I ran into a "rocket car" on a race. I was in a T-55 and ran over a civilian car,not sure how or why but the car sprung and flipped up into the air and ejected the driver,the driver got stuck on the top of my speeding tank and was thrown off ONLY when I stopped,the rest of the time he remained there.

Quote[/b] ]Neither buildings nor vehicles crumble like paper when destroyed.

How does OFP E show destroyed vehicles & buildings then? I would like to see some pics!  wink_o.gif

How does OFP E show destroyed vehicles & buildings then? I would like to see some pics! wink_o.gif

For vehicles they just blow up and turn black. No crumpling or anything.

How does OFP E show destroyed vehicles & buildings then? I would like to see some pics!  wink_o.gif

For vehicles they just blow up and turn black. No crumpling or anything.

Well, that's pretty acceptable I guess. wink_o.gif

Or maybe I was just traumatized by the crumple effect enough that I really don't mind the Elite system at all.

Its definatly better,usually the vehicle turns black or darker and if its a tank,for a time there is fire comming out of one of the hatch locations. Helicopters get dark and shiny for some reason,not sure why but its like that special effect in OFP where you can make vehicles darker and have a bit of "shine" to them...I forget the name.

You all seem to forget that making vehicles turn black instead of crumbling was already possible in OFP...

it's done in the config by determining the type of death sequence is thesame as a human. (humans dont crubble, they just play an animation and stay like that.. since vehicles cant support animations, they skip that and just stay like that).

what I hope is that ArmA will support decals... so you can see where your Sabot's hit the target. it's a detail, but I like it allot in games. Wouln't kill myself if it wasn't in (wich it most likely aint) though smile_o.gif .

And what about buildings though? Do they not crumple either? How do they collaps in OFP elite or dont they?  huh.gif

It just gives us non Xbox owners an idea of what will be in ArmA!  wink_o.gif

Guest Ti0n3r
And what about buildings though? Do they not crumple either? How do they collaps in OFP elite or dont they? huh.gif

Most buildings can't be destroyed at all. (Though gas stations and the Nogova bridge have destuction animations).