Sign in to follow this  
CsonkaPityu

Armed Assault FAQ

In OFP as gunner you could turn out, so I bet they simply let the Gunner and Commander both turn out. People have realism expectations too high for ArmA. Personally this is a fine balance since there is no loader, and a loader for a game would be retarded and boring.

If you wanna call the ArmA not just a tactical FPS, but tactical simulator, you need realism. The OFP (and as far as we know, ArmA too) are an "infantry simulator", the vehicles are not simulated correctly, and have many problem with it (never-existed Mi-24 version, arcade-type damagecontrol, etc.).

If you dont like the vehicles thats your problem, but i think many player are happy if the vehicle simulation is much more realistic... and thats include loaders in the specific tanks...

I think You can define your own materials with their own values, but i can't find anything on it.

i have a question..

As we know theres a new engine for ARMA..

It was said batles in ArmA will/can be massive, with lots ais,

We already talked about this subject but i believe we were not very clear on how many enemy units will be able to put in a single map.

In OFP we could put 3024 units in a map.

each "unit/leader" from a group (West+East+Resistance+civil) can have (12 units, counting that some Tanks use 3 units each)

West => 63*12

East => 63*12

Resistance => 63*12

Civil => 63*12

= 3024 (Máx. Units, without scripts)

Normally some old OFP maps had 500 enemys to kill and it was kinda laggy (not using spawn/delete bodys scripts)

anyway,

In my opinion ARMA must have more then 3024 units available.

Without using crapy spawn scripts how many massive units will ARMA support then?

Without using crapy spawn scripts how many massive units will ARMA support then?

Not much more, at least not fighting at the same time, especially not if you want the AI improvements from Elite. The AI calculations already bring most PCs down to 20 FPS on the Battlefield mission.

And i cant think of ANY mission that crossed the 3024 limit  huh.gif

EDIT: And DAC isnt a crappy spawn script, but a very powerfull thing to recreate and huge and alive battlefield tounge2.gif

Im asking this cause ARMA will have JIP (join in progress).

Imagine there's a huge COOP against the AIs.. the mission needs more extra enemys in that mission for sure!

What if the mission maker wants to use a single side as enemy (without spawn scripts), will the mission be limited in enemys (63*12=756 enemy units)?

So my Question still stands. Answer who can, plz

Imagine there's a huge COOP against the AIs.. the mission needs more extra enemys in that mission for sure!

What if the mission maker wants to use a single side as enemy (without spawn scripts), will the mission be limited in enemys (63*12=756 enemy units)?

Then you would need spawnscripts anyway? It would get laggy as hell without them tounge2.gif

Guest Ti0n3r

They've said some stuff* in the latest intreviews that made me think that they removed the 63 groups per side limit.

*No player limit in MP.

Then you would need spawnscripts anyway? It would get laggy as hell without them tounge2.gif

even with this new engine that ARMA have?

They've said some stuff* in the latest intreviews that made me think that they removed the 63 groups per side limit.

*No player limit in MP.

i read that info too, but thats about the MP players (how server can support)

We can't assume there are no limit when we place enemys in a map, can we? confused_o.gif

even with this new engine that ARMA have?

Its not a new engine, its an updated engine, and they have improved the MP code so it should support more units with less lag, but 700+ is ALOT wink_o.gif

Guest Ti0n3r

lol, You don't really know that.

Its not a new engine, its an updated engine, and they have improved the MP code so it should support more units with less lag, but 700+ is ALOT wink_o.gif
Quote[/b] ]"the creators of Operation Flashpoint*. recharges in a new engine with additional fresh, modern time setting"

link

I would say it new!

and 700 its not that much if you consider JIP.

Imagine a COOP that could last 3 days or so.. wink_o.gif

Its not a new engine, its an updated engine, and they have improved the MP code so it should support more units with less lag, but 700+ is ALOT  wink_o.gif
Quote[/b] ]"the creators of Operation Flashpoint*. recharges in a new engine with additional fresh, modern time setting"

link

I would say it new!

Imagine a COOP that could last 3 days or so..  wink_o.gif

If you recharge a battery, its still the old battery but it works again wink_o.gif ArmA is more like a battery thats not only recharged, but also enlarged tounge2.gif

And 700 is alot to send trough your ADSL modem constantly, and it also brings a heavy load on the server. To be honest i cant think of ANY game that has 700 units at the same time, SP or MP (except OFP) wink_o.gif

think in realistic ways (as we searching for), a city might have more then 700 people no? wink_o.gif

to be considered CITY there must be lots of people, also when army patrols running the place waiting for War. I dont want to skip idea.

will it support more units thenhave more units or not?

think in realistic ways (as we searching for), a city might have more then 700 people no? wink_o.gif

to be considered CITY there must be lots of people, also when army patrols running the place waiting for War. I dont want to skip idea.

both VILLAGES I have lived in were 2-3000 people, and they are considered small in the UK.

For cities we're talking over 10,000 people. Not gonna happen in ArmA.

both VILLAGES I have lived in were 2-3000 people, and they are considered small in the UK.

For cities we're talking over 10,000 people. Not gonna happen in ArmA.

the Citys in ARMA look like more Villages like you said.. (just check the Sahrani island)

... so 3000 people would be nice smile_o.gif

Have you heard about spawning/de-spawning/deleting script ?

DAC is the most advanced of those scripts.

In OFP it is possible to simulate thousands of soldiers.

Considering a player will never see all of them in the same time in his view, using those spawn/delete scripts tricks is allowing the mission maker to go way beyond any kind of unit limitations without adding too many "lag."

lol, You don't really know that.

I know they improved the MP code, and i also now that 700+ AI units is impossible without much in MP, or killing your FPS in SP tounge2.gif

Considering a player will never see all of them in the same time in his view, using those spawn/delete scripts tricks is allowing the mission maker to go way beyond any kind of unit limitations without adding too many "lag."

would be nice if you read some last pots before posting...

Without Spawn!

arf

link

I would say it new!

Imagine a COOP that could last 3 days or so.. wink_o.gif

If you recharge a battery, its still the old battery but it works again wink_o.gif ArmA is more like a battery thats not only recharged, but also enlarged tounge2.gif

And 700 is alot to send trough your ADSL modem constantly, and it also brings a heavy load on the server. To be honest i cant think of ANY game that has 700 units at the same time, SP or MP (except OFP) wink_o.gif

In MP your ADSL Connection only sends the information where your postition is and your actions (shooting, radio). The position of the enemies, your friends and their actions will be send by the server. So the player/npc number is limited by server traffic, or am i wrong?

telejunky

Without Spawn!

arf

It would be nice if you thought a bit before posting.

Without Spawn!

arf

It would be nice if you thought a bit before posting.

no miss understandings plz..

I know the script you mentioned. its very usefull if mission maker like to use spawn and delete the bodies after death.

As i said before spawn/delete units can ruin the realims and destroy the spirit of it.

As i said before spawn/delete units can ruin the realims and destroy the spirit of it.

A good controlled spawn/delete is not unrealistic, as the player wont even notice it wink_o.gif

lets say you go to NE nogova, then you could spawn the enemies there, while delete everyone else on the island, if you kill everyone there and return later you can just keep em dead, it doesnt mean that you will be fighting an endless amount of enemies huh.gif That way you will only have a few units walking around at the same time, while the player will see all the units once he comes in the area (crappy explanation, and its not exactly how scripts like DAC work, but you get the general idea)

As for deleting units..., every game does that, as dead bodies dont have any purpose but create lag... wink_o.gif

I don't think leaving corpses on the island would be all that realistic if you are part of a bigger army... i mean dead bodies get picked up by ambulances. They don't just leave the enemy lying around because of diseases and bad publicity (maybe even a bit of... ethics, wtf! ).

edit because of smilies assaulting my post!

when spawn is created the units will be placed in a formation style.. what if you want units to be placed in some determinated areas, floors etc.. use imagination.. that will not work properly.

Would be easyer if we place them by hand like we do in OFP normally.

why this obcession with spawn?

I hate spawn! Its not natural!