Sign in to follow this  
CsonkaPityu

Armed Assault FAQ

Nothing interesting in there, they're only stating long known facts. No one there has played ArmA so far. I don't understand why one can write reviews on Amazon long before the product is available...

You might want to change the building destruction thingy in your fipo. Its know that all buildings are destoyable now and sink in the ground wink_o.gif

I wonder what type of sever will run this without lagg and how many players we will get in a game without lagg. I remember the OFP and the Deysinc issues, so i hope this will have inproved lots.

I thought this thread would be hotter than hell after the Czech release. c'mon people who already got the game you must know something new everyone wants to know biggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

I have a question.

On an island in OFP you could have as many airports as you like but only one of them could be used by the AI.

Is this limitation gone in ArmA?

you should put something about the language in the czech version.

I just wondered are there any horses to ride in Armed assault. Its just horses seem never to be included in war games and yet they were used regulary during the war. If not is there a cow or bull i could maybe get to ride on.

I just wondered are there any horses to ride in Armed assault. Its just horses seem never to be included in war games and yet they were used regulary during the war. If not is there a cow or bull i could maybe get to ride on.

There is not and that thing is easy to mod to ArmA so wait little bit to:whi: But u can find some OFP addons where are horses included.

and the most wanted question !! did anybody of you guys played football !!??

can anyone tell us something about CTI in ArmA?

Is it different from the CTI Missions we know from OFP?

Can u also built factories and produce vehicles?

C'mon guys, share ur experience with us

Ok i have a question. will the BIS team play this game online, if so what is Placebos Nick going to be, just so i can feel satisfied when i shoot his ass. pistols.gifpistols.gif

"-Morphicon stated it will not use Starforce, this means german speaking areas do not have to worry about it."

Is that still an accurate statement? Or will they and 505 be using starforce?

A few things that I would like to see in ArmA and would like to know whether they are in the game.

- Can we control, by ordering, all the vehicles and friendly troops on our side like the tanks, jets, choppers etc. ? Can I tell them where and when to attack ?

- How are the bullet-hit effects on surfaces like walls, metal surfaces, roads, trees etc. ? Are they realistically done ?

- I like being an infantry soldier only or ride vehicles and don't like to drive vehicles. Can all missions in the campaign be completed as an infantry soldier, if I so choose ?

Thank you. smile_o.gif

Hey Budd! Good questions, i was wondering about that myself.

Quote[/b] ]A few things that I would like to see in ArmA and would like to know whether they are in the game.

- Can we control, by ordering, all the vehicles and friendly troops on our side like the tanks, jets, choppers etc. ? Can I tell them where and when to attack ?

- How are the bullet-hit effects on surfaces like walls, metal surfaces, roads, trees etc. ? Are they realistically done ?

- I like being an infantry soldier only or ride vehicles and don't like to drive vehicles. Can all missions in the campaign be completed as an infantry soldier, if I so choose ?

Thank you. smile_o.gif

Hey RatoN,  welcome.gif  here.   smile_o.gif

By the looks of things, this is going to be the best tac shooter around. Check the AI vids.

Budd/Raton, to answer your Q's...

It depends on the rank structure and which units are in your squad. You can control an unlimited number of units (increased from 12 total in OFP) theoretically, but it will most likely be limited depending on the mission designer. Let's say you have a mission involving a squad of 4 spec ops - as the spec ops commander, you'll have control of your 3 squad mates via orders as well as yourself - you cannot 'soul swap'. Suppose instead you're attacking a convoy with a group of Cobras - you'll instead command each Cobra in your unit provided you are the highest ranking officer in the group. You can control any unit that is assigned to your group - that could be a mixture of tanks, jets, helos, infantry - anything. ArmA does it all. You cannot control EVERY unit on your side if they are not in your squad - only the units you have in your 'squad'. Theoretically you could have a mission where every unit on your side was under your command. In that respect, you could control every unit (there are even edited OFP missions that use clever scripting to allow for this) on your side.

Put it this way - if you were a lowly grunt in an infantry squad, and not the officer, you can't tell ANYONE what to do. You recieve orders and you follow them. The most you can communicate are the spotting of enemies and changes in your fighting condition (out of ammo, where is the lead, need a medic etc.).

You can tell the AI when and where to attack. There are a large variety of commands and behaviours you can make the AI execute, from their posture and ROE to which direction they face and whether they should scan the horizon for threat. You can make them hide and take cover, which formation they should be in and which vehicle to occupy (and in which position - such as gunner or driver).

Generally, if the player can do it, so can the AI.

From the videos it seems like the designers prefer the 'puff of smoke' approach. Dust and such gets kicked up by stray rounds and bullet impacts result in the appropriate sound and visual effect. It looks very realistic. The hit sounds and decals of bullets hitting flesh are pretty gruesome. Try and find the headshot video.

There will be a variety of missions, some of which will be solely infantry affairs (of all kinds - from grunts to spec ops operations) other will involve the piloting of some kind of vehicle. I doubt all missions can be completed on foot because most of the vehicle missions in OFP required the use of the vehicle to achieve the objective (pick up an injured squad, attack a convoy, drive as fast as you can to the objective etc.). It all depends on what the mission allows you to do - if you begin the mission with a variety of empty vehicles and a choice of loadout, more than likely you can use either. However, it is important to make use of an even balance and assess the benefits and weaknesses of the vehicle you are using as opposed to going on foot.

If you prefer only infantry missions I can assure you there will be a great many in the campaign anyway BUT there will be an almost neverending supply of infantry only missions supplied by the community, to be played single or in co-op. OFP has a huge library of realistically modelled and immersive infantry only missions (thousands) made by the community that provide endless hours of enjoyment for the infantry enthusiast. There's no reason to suspect that ArmA will be any different (a few early infantry missions are already available from the czech community - although I'd wait until people get a better grip of the editor before you'll start seeing extravagant ones).

Hope that helps.

it does. Thanks Cannon Fodder.

So the command structure will be like Battlefield then, only with more micro-management. I see.

Does it apply to multiplayer also? Same squad command structure?

Depends what you mean. If you mean that there is a structure in place where the man at the top will not hear squad level communication - you'd be right. Radio channels are split into different sectors depending on the command structure and unless a radio command in the squad is then relayed to the commander, he will not hear it - provided the squad is communicating on their squad channel (GROUP). IF you want everyone to hear it, you'd broadcast on the 'SIDE' channel, although for the sake of clear communication (as in real life) you'll want to limit squad-based communication to the GROUP channel. It is best if only the commander uses the 'SIDE' command, unless some really earth shattering information comes in (i.e. you've spotted a column of 14 enemy tanks and they're coming to crush not just your unit but others aswell).

In terms of micromanagement, I'd say it's more intuitive and powerful. Orders are executed by numbered menus with numbered submenus, and in Armed Assault this has been expanded to hotkeys as well. To give you an example, to select your MGer and AT soldier, you'd press (for example) F4 and F5, and your cursor changes to a crosshair. Either bring up the map and click on it to send them to a location, or simply choose a patch of ground in front of you with the crosshair to send them to it. The nearest landmark will be used as a bearing for them ("4,5, go to bush at 12'o'clock") and they will move to it. Should you move the crosshair over an enemy, left clicking will make them engage it, right click merely target it (i.e. stay in formation and open fire when the opportunity arises - unless you've set them to engage at will).

The same command structure and communication system applies in SP and it does in MP. What this means is that if you want to report to your commander via radio command you are injured in exactly the same way as in SP, you can. You can also use VOIP (which is built in) to communicate if you choose, it's usually faster. If you want to order people around, your orders will appear in their HUD (if you're on cadet mode instead of vet) along with where you are and where they should be in the formation. There's plenty of assistance to make sure everyone knows what their orders are and where they should be - if you want. It can be turned off.

I'm not sure if military structure works as this but in a way we could have different levels of command,first comes the regular squad member,then squad leaders,afterwards a person in charge of two or so squads,then another perhaps the commander who communicates with those soldiers. Its heavy on multitasking for sure and will definatly test your ability to command. But I get the suspicious feeilng only a few would be up to it.

Ok i have a question. will the BIS team play this game online, if so what is Placebos Nick going to be, just so i can feel satisfied when i shoot his ass.  pistols.gif  pistols.gif

More than likley Placebo wink_o.gif

Cannon, thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed reply. It is much appreciated.   smile_o.gif

Just one more question - can I give a 'stop' order to my team ? It might be necessary if I want to investigate alone and keep them at a safe place temporarily.

Though the questions not directed to me. Why not just select them all and assign them to a location,they won't follow you again until you tell them to return to formation.