Sign in to follow this  
CsonkaPityu

Armed Assault FAQ

Frequently asked Questions:

-Release date?

<ul>Release dates by country and publisher.

-My country isn't on the list! Why is BIS ignoring us?

<ul>They aren't ignoring anyone, but no interested publishers have been found for your country yet, sorry. It isn't the fault of Bohemia Interactive.

I should know best, my country ain't on the list...

-Will there be a demo?

<ul>Yes, two.

The multiplayer demo is released, check http://www.armedassault.com/downloads.html for links.

-Will there be an XBOX 360 port?

<ul>It's not planned. There definitely won't be a port in the near future.

-Any anti-cheat in ArmA?

<ul>There will be somesort of custom anti-cheating system by BIS, but it is unknown how it works.

-Which copyprotection is arma using?

<ul>They protected the E3 pressdemo with Starforce and 3 keys. Might be a bit of overkill on BIS' part to prevent the demo from leaking to the broader public.

Quote[/b] ]Discussing copy protections contravenes forum rules. Discussing it any further may result in people being banned.

Publishers decide copy protection for retail products, so the whole point is moot.

Publishers and starforce:

-Morphicon stated it will not use Starforce, this means german speaking areas do not have to worry about it. German version has Securom.

-Checz \ Slovak version has Starforce.

-Others are unknown to me, info appreciated.

-Are people with slower internet connections (ISDN, 56k, carrier pigeons) able to play Arma online ?

<ul>Answer by Suma (Developer):

Quote[/b] ]I would even say ArmA bandwidth requiremens are lower than OFP, thanks to numerous optimizations, but as already said, it really depends on the mission, and with more players and more complex missions the bandwidth requirements will be higher.

While developing Xbox version, we estimated around 32kbps per player is needed on the server in a moderately complex mission, including voice over net. Your hosting options will therefore be quite limited, but you should be able to play at least some missions.

That said, I do not have any solid numbers from ArmA net testing yet, therefore the above is only estimation and it is by no means guaranteed.

-Is the voice command "que" still a problem like it was in OFP?

<ul>Answer by Suma:

Quote[/b] ]While there were serious problems in this area in OFP, they were never as serious as your e.g. would suggest. If Papa Bear was saying something (which it did on side channel), you could say anything you wanted to on the group channel meanwhile.

Now (since OFP:Elite) you can even interrupt your own transmittions with a more urgent ones, therefore this should no longer be a problem.

-Are the old campaigns in?

<ul>No. Originally they should've been in, but for one reason or another they won't be in afterall. You'll get a new campaign and knowing OFPs community they might port them if Codemasters doesn't throw a temper tantrum.

-Any info about the campaign?

<ul>Sure, tons, You can watch the story develop in William Porters fictious blog.

The basic background story is that you are part of a US military detachment sent to the fictious, oil rich, pro-west island republic of south Sahrani to help train local forces. The Northern part of the island will launch a surprise attack against the south, with you still stranded there.

So far we have confirmation that there is atleast a two man COOP mode in ArmA.

-What vehicles does the game have without mods?

<ul>Here is a german site with list of vehicles available in the Games Convention 2006 pressdemo.

BIS will also add new vehicles with the 505 release. There are also mods (both directly supported by BIS and not) that will add new vehicles.

-Does ArmA support Track IR?

<ul>Yes. Here is a video demonstrating TrackIR ingame.

Thread for Track IR

-Is ArmA the sequel to OFP? What's Game 2?

<ul>No, it is a different game, the name Operation Flashpoint belongs to Codemasters. OFP 2 (presumably made by Codemasters) will be the sequel to OFP. ArmA is an engine update based on improvements from OFP:Elite for the Xbox (it is further improved though).

Game 2 was the orignally planned sequel to OFP, now it's a working title.

-Does ArmA Have widescreen support?

<ul>Yes.

-What are the minimum specs?

<ul>2Ghz CPU, 512MB of RAM, 128MB video card (with DX9) is the minimum spec. [i have these specs and it's playable on a good FPS... but it's not pretty.]

Recommended are:

3Ghz, 1GB RAM, 256MB video card. [Runs smooth on these specs.]

-Does ArmA support 64bit architecture or dual core processors?

www.SimHQ.com[/url])]We received this update Thursday evening on the question of system specification from Ondrej Spanel, Lead Programmer at BIS: "While 64-bit architecture performance is very good when running 32 bit code and it is possible ArmA is doing very well on 64b computers, Armed Assault is still a 32 bit application and there is no specific 64 bit support. On the other hand, current video card drivers often contain significant dual core optimizations, and as a result the framerate can often be 20-30% higher on dual core CPU."

Thanks, Lou Montana. Full article here: http://www.simhq.com/_all/all_018c.html

-Are there any 'dynamicly destructable' buildings?

<ul>Bridges have a destruction animation. Other buildings collapse in a WTC style, leaving behind a small pile of rubble.

-Is it possible to turn off the 'fixed aim'?

<ul>You can adjust the size of the bracket in which your aim moves without moving the whole screen in the options menu with a slider.

-When did the development of ArmA start?

<ul>April 2005.

-Has multiplayer been improved?

<ul>Yes. You can join games already in progress and code has been optimized. You can read two previews illustrating two modes of multiplayer made by SimHQ here and here. I must stress that the version they are using is not the finished product.

-Is scripting improved in ArmA?

<ul>Yes.

Check the community wiki.

-What new modding tools will we have?

<ul>New tools are listed in the wiki.

-Can addons made for OFP be converted over to ArmA?

<ul>This has been confirmed, yes. You will only have to modify the config.

-Do vehicles/buidlings still use the paper crumbling effect?

<ul>Thank goodness no! They have a new "destroyed" model and burn.

-Are weapon sights changed?

<ul>Yes we have nice, new, shiny, 3d ironsights.

-Will your finger move when you pull the trigger in Armed Assault?

<ul>Yes. If that's not enough, the weapons magazines also detach with neat reloading anims.

Everyone add/correct what they know and i messed up. Fill 'er up, then someone can make a sticky FAQ so Placebo has less closing material. This was justsupposed to be a constructionyard for the more tidy FAQ but now it's stickied.

the idea is worthwile (since not everyone is a total ArmA maniac and checks for new sources each day). Of course now you took the responsibility of having it updated each day! smile_o.gif

add this to improvements: collision detection

I'll try to add anything that crosses my mind into this reply.

Great idea, good luck with it smile_o.gif

I'm sure a moderator will pin the thread if the idea pans out smile_o.gif

might want to add Will there be a demo ?? There is supposed to be a multiplayer demo sometime before release and a single player demo after release.

found my reference...

http://www.ggmania.com/full.php3?show=5792

Has BIS found a Publisher ?  -VE.  See:- http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/armedassault/news.html?sid=6151442

Is there a MP campaign ? yes, limited to 2 players.  see:- http://ww2ec.3dactionplanet.gamespy.com/content.php?article.9

nice idea, shame mods are to busy locking topics, to create an official FAQ, maybe by doing this one you will , make more time for them to update the "news" thread more often.

maybe if you quoted the release dates from bis official site, they will let you know if it has changed wink_o.gif.

for example the official release date is still H1 2006.

edit although the idea games rep 3 month dev left) offical date would be nice

improvements are also ,Animations ,water textures,soldiermodels,

ai response ... < cant remember full title,jip,100+ ( server dependant online source idea games rep at e3). new island, and many more .......

my faqs are:

release date

publisher

minimum specs

storyline

will the mp browser be linked with a third paty (i.e gayspy)

will there be/is there a demo

can addons and or missions from flashpoint be ported

whats the price

will it be a world wide release or in diff continents at diff times

and finally , a good site (czech) for latest trailers is this one.

arma.biginfo

Guest Ti0n3r
might want to add will there be a demo ?? There is supposed to be a multiplayer demo sometime before release and a single player demo after release.

A MP demo sometime in the future and a SP demo closer to release, not after release wink_o.gif

Okay i added stuff to the releasedate, publisher, campaign and some confirmed improvements.

Should i put hot-swapping (character switching)to the improvements or the campaign or should i make a new question about it?

Yeh add the character swapping info. Maybe ask:- Can you complete the campaign without ever using hot swapping ? This feature is a good idea and if you don't like don't use it... simple.

The same for multiple save option.... is this a new feature ? This feature too if you don' t like it don't use it. For the pure-t start the game and never turn you computer off until you finish the campaign.

Guest Ti0n3r

What amount of vehicles can we expect?

~50+

What amount of weapons can we expect?

~50

What are the minimum specs?

2GHz Intel/AMD CPU, 512MB RAM, DX9 64mb graphics card is somewhere around the probable minimum spec.

Will ArmA feature ballistic kinetic energy simulation?

Yes, bullet accuracy and damage are dependent on a number of factors such as wind resistance and distance to the target.

Will ArmA feature recoil simulation?

Yes. No two guns are the same, so firing them shouldn't feel the same. ArmA features fully simulated weapon recoil.

Will there be any 'dynamicly destructable' buildings?

We don't know at the moment. We can at least expect some buildings to have a 'destruction animation'.

Is it possible to turn off the 'fixed aim'?

Yes. You can use the old non fixed aim from OFP if you want to.

How much of the game is finished?

~75% (May '06).

When did the development of ArmA start?

April 2005.

-What improvements can be confirmed?

Add HDR lightning to it ? Its there right?

Btw change your explanation for this:

-Is ArmA the sequel to OFP? What's Game 2?

ArmA* is an update to the OFP game engine , improving and adding features to it and extending the current generation simulations life.

Game 2* (un named successor to OFP) is still in the works by Bohemia , it will be the true successor ro OFP in terms of expanding on the ground breaking simulation experience that OFP provided.

*Reason why BIS had to swtich names was because of the termination of their relationship with Codemasters as publisher who owned the copyrights to the name.

Guest Ti0n3r

Btw, I think a moderator should pin this thread smile_o.gif

Good job!   smile_o.gif

-What improvements can be confirmed?

Destroyable forests, inland lakes, insects and swaying foliage that increases immersion and makes it harder to discern enemy movement.

edit: ahh, I see your 'further info' section, that should probably take care of most questions.

Will ArmA feature ballistic kinetic energy simulation?

Yes, bullet accuracy and damage are dependent on a number of factors such as wind resistance and distance to the target.

What's the source of this ? It didn't really look like this in the movie(s)

I'll remove /edit the post when I 've got an answer , sorry for hijacking wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Btw, I think a moderator should pin this thread

i disagree , i think you should write a new one and that should be stickied, this one is a mess ,with links to sites that dont even show pictures of arma but some tanks and stuff from god knows where, sorry but i dont like the style of it, just my opinion. ( too late ,but i still believe ,this is a mess)

dons flameproof shield

Guest Ti0n3r

Hmm yes, the topic creator should try to 'clean up' the 1st post a little. I think it would look better if it was keept simple, like this;

Question?

Answer.

Quote[/b] ]i disagree , i think you should write a new one and that should be stickied, this one is a mess

That was kind of my idea too, since i can't seem to be able to edit the title.

Anyways i cleaned it up a little but now i'm off for the weekend.

edit: thanks for the questions i missed.

i agree this should be a sticky thread made by moderators, similar to avon lady FAQ link. (very usefull)

i think u missed the questions/answers related to:

Q: are ofp addons adaptable to arma?

(the vast collection of addons we (addon makers) made to the comunity through this years are priceless.same goes to all the missions made to date, so this is something really important for all us...)

A:so far we know they will be somehow importable/easly adapted.

Q:will arma 3d engine use normal mapping?

A:yes

Q:will we have any bis editing tool for addon/island ?

A:i'm not sure what's the current bis statement, but bis had mentioned that an editor (similar to o2) will be out someday...

if i remember another important question i'll post or pm you.

Guest Ti0n3r

Btw, this thread contains some information about news & changes in Elite. It might be worth a look.

I remember seeing a screenshot about the option for choosing which hand your character uses but i can't find it, only this:

http://www.vbs1.eu/include....tid=272

Quote[/b] ]What we can see from this exclusive screenshot from the upcoming Xbox title “Operation Flashpoint: Elite†is that ArmA will have Right/Left hand weapon options, chinstraps modelled & textured onto the soldiers and visible Armor Vests.

Q: Will left hander option be included? Anyone know?

Seems unlikely, at least for several weapons. Many can only be used right-handed. The cocking handle and brass ejected are on the right hand side, so unless you want burn on your face or a broken nose you have no choice.

Guest Ti0n3r

Will there be an official anti cheat?

Yes. The server configuration will have the option to determine which addons, given a certain signature, should be loaded into the game. This should prevent ‘cheater addons’ from being activated.

Will there be a linux server version?

Yes.

Will ArmA models have a 'skeleton system'?

Yes