Sign in to follow this  
Serbian Delight

Armed Assault Video E3 Presentation

I would reduce the viewdistance to the benefit of AI CPU share anytime. Anyway, who knows what is implemented in the version shown at E3 or not. It´s just that I thought that AI had already been overworked a lot as a result of OFP Elite. I´m still looking forward to the ArAs release. I do trust in BIS and I have confidence that they will leave us with a wide open mouth once more. That video maybe wasn´t the best example of ingame experience.

In that video AI looked and act liek old OFP but than Placebo told it was old movie he said AI will be much much better than that video so I hope this is the alpha version with same type AI as in the czech video.

I hope the AI when under fire he looks for cover by a tree or another object and run for cover when he see a armoured vehicle not stand there like a dummy to die.

Arma is in late alpha state, so that video is taken from an alpha version. wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]The AI seems to be the same as in OFP in regards to its behaviour when there is an immediated danger (the soldiers were standing and walking instead of running, when the tank was driving near and its machinegun killing them one by one).

Not sure about this, but i think he was killing his own mates in that scene...

Also, what's was the level of difficulty?

Guest Ti0n3r
Not sure about this, but i think he was killing his own mates in that scene...

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing crazy_o.gif

to turn off the aim is not enought...the center doesn´t have to be fixed banghead.gif

What I just fail to understand is how many people posting in here really think that the E3 version is some outdated alpha 3-4 versions behind. They were showing it to get publishers interested, not hiding things to suprise end users. I would bet what you see in that vid was the very latest build, it would be silly to hid things at this late stage, especially if your trying to "wow" folks into distributing your game.

Also many people are seeing things they don't like and just assuming that they are placeholders and will be changed. Again, I would highly doubt the end result will be significantly different that what your seeing now.

Visually I see nothing that gets me upset. I'm more than happy with getting OFP with a new engine and many many improvements. I may disagree about the content and the storyline (that may change with more info) but even if whats been shown were to be published next week, I would still buy it and be happy with it.

OH great a big problem i see right now is:

Noobie joins game

jumps in chopper

flys to battle

jumps out of a chopper - killing the gunner

now is back where he died

REPEAT....yeah can we say Bf:2

BIS Can make really good games but they cannot  make people smarter so it wiil be to the admin in mp game to throw them out and banned them wink_o.gif

Just saw the video and it was pretty much what I expected.

I join in on the AI comments and besides that maybe I think the animations looked kind of strange when sprinting, as in the player comming to a halt to quick, like they hit a wall or something.

But other then that it is all good. We have to keep in mind afterall that if we are going to be perfectly honest then we would have expected the development of the series to be :

OPF+addons+OPF2 and not OPF+addons+Armed assault+Game2

We`re getting a "free" game as I see it and I have had that feeling all along, that is one of the reasons I will buy it anyway.

Based on my OPF experiance it will easily tie me over until Game2 is out (along with a few other games of course).

There is no alternative basically anyway.

Well, i've watched it and have to say the AI is still pretty dumb.

I'd like them to atleast immitate humans, go for cover immedietly. I mean the scene with the sniper: they are walking along the road like headless chicken, there was a field in the near, they shoul've jumped into it and awaited further orders, maybe telling another squad there is a sniper on the hill killing them, so that other squad can take care of him, or call in artillery to that position, anything else then following the waypoint like zombies.

The AI should know better then to blindly follow waypoints, AI commanders should know when to stop and get to cover and wait a while.

Maybe the machine gunners of the squad could've hidden themselves behind a few bushes while the other squadmates tell them where to shoot.

I don't know but the AI has to stop running around like a bunch of morons, the waypoints should have a priority rating to the AI, the more the priority the more the AI should try to get to the waypoint and do what is there instead of keeping themselves alive. But if the waypoint is low-priority and they encounter something they deal with the threat accordingly. Would be nice... sad_o.gif

PS: did anyone notice the player never compensated for the bullet arc? He kept aiming at the enemy as if the bullets fly straight.. maybe the AI didn't react to him because they simply never noticed his presense.

PS: did anyone notice the player never compensated for the bullet arc? He kept aiming at the enemy as if the bullets fly straight.. maybe the AI didn't react to him because they simply never noticed his presense.

Possible, he was far away, and im not sure if the AI would have been able to hear him from that distance, also, it seems that he missed almost everything, untill the AI ran past that tree, and after that they did turn to the players position wink_o.gif

But i dont know, BIS might be tweaking it, maybe not, i am happy enough with the old AI, altough it would be awesome if they did look for cover in ArmA  smile_o.gif

hmm I don't think the AI is that stupid too start with(ofp level) although stopping up while running away from gun fire is indeed stupid, what realy anoys me is that the player is able to swing the scope around and with out eny dificulty center the scope on the taget. Same goes for the tank enybody that has tried controling the turet on a tank knows that you can not swing it around like a pistol and still see whats going on especialy the sceen where he makes a drive by on the infantry and hits everybody is unrealistic. While this movie shows only a fraction of game play and even what OFP is capable off it seems that its just like 1.96 where you have a great base for cool stuff that is just not used(maby it should have been) I will be looking forward to ECP mod for ARMA when the time comes

I'm fairly satisfied with the progress. smile_o.gif

Is it just me, or did I see in the tank demonstration that the player was turning the turrent while the AI commander was actually on the machine gun (maybe even firing?)?  I would say that that's a reassurance for multi-gunner (yes, I am very paranoid).

I'm just going to give BIS the benefit of the doubt and consider how most games need scripting placed in the level to guide the ai.  Overall, I think that the AI is good enough for me to make sandbox missions.

I just think that it would be a help to the ai if each map "object" such as a broken car or building had ai data that directed the ai to fire over it, kneel at the corner, ect.  Something similar to the already done waypoint system for large interior buildings.

I think for Game 2 (not optimistic at all for ai development) it might be worthwhile to add new "free will" actions to the ai.  Like when someone is killed by a sniper the ai will forget the current order and everyone runs for cover.  Then you as squad leader will need to make new orders to reorganize your suppressed ai.  Or say less skilled ai will ignore a hold fire order if they are under fire.  Maybe even when an enemy tank gets really close your unequipped ai just abandons the current task to run away for solid cover (provided that your team has no anti-tank support).

It's kinda like when people freak out, and you have to scream "just do it!" to break the hesitation.  Because if you need to run, and your ai dives for cover instead, you will need to reissue the move order again despite the fear of the ai.

But overall I like the pace of development enough that I'll order a copy a few months from now. thumbs-up.gif

And man, they needed some American fans to come over and interpret for the english speaking viewers. We could even have a flashpoint fan blow everyone away with incredible sniping skills. crazy_o.gif

BTW, can the Spanel brothers speak english?  No disrespect at all, just that it's an odd thought that I've never really thought of before.  Um maybe as a community we should brush up on our Czech language.  I know a Russian guy who's been to the Cz Republic. help.gif

I hate how they ending the video while they were turning up the view distance. I want to see it maxed out.

Oh and yes both the spanel brothers speak english as do many people that work at BIS.

Suma posts on these forums everyonce and a while in english and Maruk posts hardly at all, maybe just for important news.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Ondrej's alter-ego. crazy_o.gif

I'm so sorry!!! notworthy.gif

I'll just say that I'm really appreciative for this Czech studio for their service for the free world. wink_o.gif

Funny how many conclusions about the AI can be drawn from a video which is obviously shot in ultra cadet mode. banghead.gifgoodnight.gif

Let's see, if the journalist gets shot in the head after his first shot I don't think the review would be very favourable.

I'd take a wait and see approach. It seems many here concentrate on the ArmA as a product. It's an updated engine, which will hopefully let the mission designers do many things which are impossible right now.

I couldn't care less about if there shouldn't be a super cobra in the army or whatever. How many times have you played the campaign? How many times did you play other missions made by the community?

Two things:

- I didn't really see the great view distance in the chopper scene. I hope it's just the settings, not the real capability.

- The Cobra has Sidewinders. Maybe they fixed the "only one weapon proxy per vehicle model" problem, so we can forget the pseudo proxy+missile setpos method. Would be a nice feature for aircraft enthusiasts like me. biggrin_o.gif

- "Interesting" ballistics on that sniper gun. No gravity, no drag, bullets fly like laser beams. No good. But at least better impact dust.

I don't have time to read through 6 pages of comments so sorry if this has been said already.

I couldn't help but notice the small gaps in a couple of the animations;

i) Transition between lying and standing in 3rd person perspective.

The figure looked like he was about 4/5 standing up and then was instantly upright. The few inches between the two states just aren't present.

ii) Transition bewteen walking and running in 1st person perspective. The arm and gun instantly dissapears and reappears.

Number ii) is really going to annoy me as an immersion killer.

Apart from those two observations, it looked very good to me. Can't wait! biggrin_o.gif

Nice video, i´m really waiting for fast release. Althought the AI actions under fire was a bit strange but hey ofp AI is still pretty good in my opinion.

I don't have time to read through 6 pages of comments so sorry if this has been said already.

I couldn't help but notice the small gaps in a couple of the animations;

i) Transition between lying and standing in 3rd person perspective.

The figure looked like he was about 4/5 standing up and then was instantly upright. The few inches between the two states just aren't present.

ii) Transition bewteen walking and running in 1st person perspective. The arm and gun instantly dissapears and reappears.

Number ii) is really going to annoy me as an immersion killer.

Apart from those two observations, it looked very good to me. Can't wait!  biggrin_o.gif

*ALPHA!*

Damned, dont you people think BIS hadnt noticed that? Also, in a preview it said that the anims werent finished yet!

Meh i'm still waiting for Independance Lost smile_o.gif Seems like they just did some tweaking to VBS1 and added some newer models woo how exciting.

Funny how many conclusions about the AI can be drawn from a video which is obviously shot in ultra cadet mode.  banghead.gif  goodnight.gif

Let's see, if the journalist gets shot in the head after his first shot I don't think the review would be very favourable.

Incredible aim and a smart AI are two completly different things. A smart AI isn't one that kills you with one shot. But it is that friendlies and enemies can move tactical and give support to there team mates.

Funny how many conclusions about the AI can be drawn from a video which is obviously shot in ultra cadet mode.  banghead.gif  goodnight.gif

You are absolutely right, I am sure that the presenters did not want the stupid journalists to get intimidated by the super-smart AI... Yeah, that's it...

AFAIK, the only difference between the cadet and expert modes is how quickly AI reacts and how accurately it shoots. That's not what we are talking about here... We are talking about the lack of tactical awareness and self preservation that has not changed one bit since the original OFP.

I guess some people are just unbreakable optimists. All joking aside, I am truly envious of this trait...

Peace,

DreDay

You are absolutely right, I am sure that the presenters did not want the stupid journalists to get intimidated by the super-smart AI...  Yeah, that's it...

AFAIK, the only difference between the cadet and expert modes is how quickly AI reacts and how accurately it shoots.  That's not what we are talking about here...   We are talking about the lack of tactical awareness and self preservation that has not changed one bit since the original OFP.

I guess some people are just unbreakable optimists.  All joking aside, I am truly envious of this trait...

Peace,

DreDay

Well, I might look optimistic, but really on the inside I'm squirming around, terrified that this project might turn into a serious Soldner debacle. rofl.gif

I was waiting for that game for YEARS wow_o.gif

Thank god I'm so damn busy everyday that I'm more stressed out than bored. pistols.gif

*ALPHA!*

Now, now, no need to shout. Yes, I'm aware they have development time left and that they most likely know about this. But the only chance we have of taking part in the development is to post stuff and hope that BIS sees we are watching and noticing. Most likely they have no time to be reading all of this, but, it give us some purpose to all the compulsive forum browsing huh.gif

I didn't like the rock steady sniper/zoom view:( ... plz make it move a bit thus making a distant kill a form of art.

Note: In OFP:E it isn't rock steady, you can 'hold your breath' for some secs by gently pressing the trigger a bit. Superior to this (at least from what i see in the vid)