Sign in to follow this  
Acecombat

My GPU's fan broke!

As the topic says , my 6600Gt's fan broke for some reason. My PC had been freezing while playing games for 4 days now and i had no clue until i opened my case today and found the GPU fan dangling outside its cover and the rotor and fan burnt a bit aswell. Apparently the card is stil hopefully working and the memory chips havent been burnt.

Now i wanna know whats the fix? Can that fan be replaced or will i need a new heat sink as the fans integrated in to it? Also are such fans easily available or will i be hard pressed to find one?  sad_o.gif

Help plz.

P.S: Also since my mobo doesnt have any inbuilt GPU i cant unlplug the GPU or i have no display. So while i have my card still in i am playing no games so it wont heat up. I wanna know if this is feasible or will it hurt the GPU even more? Is simple windows display @ 1280x768 at 75 hz enough to tax it and over heat it? I hope it isnt.

The solution would be to go down to your local somputer shop (or internet shop) and buy a replacment fan or heatsink. I'd recommend the one by Arctic Cooling, the VGA silencer or Zalman's GPU cooler. Theres different revisions of the Arctic Cooling VGA silencer, make sure you get the one suitable for 6600GT. I will get some links to show you the things Im refering too. GPUs can take more heat than a CPU, so hopefully it should still work

Thanks for replying , i was totally in the dark on this issue never knew replacement heat sinks even existed for VGA cards. Any idea how much do they cost?

Price for the Arctic VGA Silencer is below 20,- Euro.

I have this cooler on my "Home Theater PC's" 6600GT.

It's fantastic. Extremly silent and it keeps the card very cool.

MfG Lee

Yeah, Arctic Cooling is the best one. Just mentioned Zalman as alternative, theyre good but very much overpriced. My Arctic cooling keeps my OC'ed 6800GT cool and quiet. Accoring to the Arctic Cooling website, the Revision 6 model is the one for 6600GT (it says for PCI-E model anyway)

Quote[/b] ]NV Silencer Compatibility (on Nvidia boards)

We have no cooler for the 6600GT AGP board.

crazy_o.gif

Is there really a size difference in the PCi-E and AGP cards? my AGP card is pretty big , how bigger can the PCi-E one be?

Quote[/b] ]NV Silencer Compatibility (on Nvidia boards)

We have no cooler for the 6600GT AGP board.

crazy_o.gif

Is there really a size difference in the PCi-E and AGP cards? my AGP card is pretty big , how bigger can the PCi-E one be?

Theyre different cards. The AGP 6600GT has an extra unit under the heatsink that converts the GPUs PCI-E bus to the AGP bus. There are alternatives though

Get a Zalman cu smile_o.gif Nice things. I replaced my Club3d 9800 pro "plastic" cooler with one of those.

since this thread is about fans, what chassis fan do you reccomend?

should be a 80mm fan.

also, if i want to replace my standard AMD CPU fan and heatsink, what fan should i go for?

it must be the same dimensions as the original as it´s quite cramped on my motherboard.. i got a Athlon 64 3000+ on a socket 754.

I checked the Zalman site. Unfortunatly its seems like they dont support the AGP model either (though is says 6600 not 6600GT, theres no mention of 6600GT)

EDIT: Googling reveals some people talking about using unspecified models of the Zalman GPU cooler with AGP 6600GT (I think) I'd would be worth reading into it yourself

since this thread is about fans, what chassis fan do you reccomend?

should be a 80mm fan.

also, if i want to replace my standard AMD CPU fan and heatsink, what fan should i go for?

it must be the same dimensions as the original as it´s quite cramped on my motherboard.. i got a Athlon 64 3000+ on a socket 754.

(Sorry for double post)

As for 80mm chassis fan, anything from a good name. Theres not an awful lot of difference.

As for Athlon 64, the Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 64 is considered to be the best. Zalman makes good CPU fans, but theyre expensive and quite heavy, though I'm very fond of my one

I checked the Zalman site. Unfortunatly its seems like they dont support the AGP model either (though is says 6600 not 6600GT, theres no mention of 6600GT)

EDIT: Googling reveals some people talking about using unspecified models of the Zalman GPU cooler with AGP 6600GT (I think) I'd would be worth reading into it yourself

Thanks , i'll google it.

Meanwhile i will need to go to PC market in a few days and first check out if they have it or not.