Sign in to follow this  
JPSelter

German GameStar slaps Armed Assault

They ARE right!

I love ofp trust me, but they have to do better.

And germans are ofp's best fans.

That say something.

Its the same reason codemasters dropped BIS (i think).

Armed Assault is the same lady in a new dress, but shes 4 years older now.

Srry to say. confused_o.gif

happy birthday!

I would buy AA even when it had Resistance-like graphics, but it´s far superior luckily smile_o.gif

thanks biggrin_o.gif

but they flame petra schmitz on the gamestar.de forums ... the birthday is rescued yay.gif

I don't know of any game that i did or didn't purchase because of someone elses review. I'm mature enough to know that i can make my own decision when it comes to buying a game. A fine example is any fighting game (beatemup). I can't stand that type of game but some magazine reviews give them 8 or 9/10. I know they must like it but i know i won't. Unfortunalty the easily swayed children arn't as savvy and fall prey to this type of media. keeping this game on the PC platform will help somewhat but every platform has idiot comsumers. I pay for my own games so i have the ultimate decision. I would say alot of theses magazines are aimed at  11/15 year olds and thankfully they can't buy ArmAss..

I say bump it up to an 18 certificate and have removable limbs. tounge2.gif

So I think there is a basic responsibility in journalism, you can't be too biased nor spread lies. If something doesn't please constructive criticism should be given. Or at least tell why something sucks.

Biased? Aren't these people supposed to review games and not copypaste press reports?

I say bump it up to an 18 certificate and have removable limbs. tounge2.gif

Word!!1 welcome.gif

Damn article got me thinking about my first ArmA Mission already.

You´re tasked to ensure the delivery of essential information to a games mag so they can write a good article, unsuccessful players will get to read ms. schmitz´ article over & over again in the debriefing yay.gif

They ARE right!

I love ofp trust me, but they have to do better.

And germans are ofp's best fans.

That say something.

Its the same reason codemasters dropped BIS (i think).

Armed Assault is the same lady in a new dress, but shes 4 years older now.

Srry to say. confused_o.gif

A far prettier dress with some features that were not possible in OFP. OFP does not need to be remade 100% from scratch, it allready has so many good features that will be added to, improved and will still keep the style of OFP gameplay which is why we still play OFP.

Quote[/b] ]Mr Reality Posted on May 13 2006,10:00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I say bump it up to an 18 certificate and have removable limbs.

HOly cow, it would shrink a bit of BIS's market, but you have an excellent idea to rid us of the bad reviews from the twitch-game lovers. Make it so they have no need to review it, as THEIR market can't even buy it! biggrin_o.gif

Might make even more of the older segment want to try it out. whistle.gif

Well, let's see, firingsquad, ign and a lot of others like what they see about the game so far, with gamestar.de being the only one who dislikes arma.

The game could be butt ugly for all i care, but it's not even that. I estimate i'm going to be bored by MGS4/crysis/bf2142 after 2 hours of playing them, i base this on experience with the previous titles.

The Petra (the article writer) is complaining about ArmA not having any innovations in it. Durr... maybe someone should tell her the entire engine has been changed to stream terrain, 400km^2 is just the size of Sarani because BIS doesn't have the time. The far superior multiplayer code seems to go past her too, it's already proven with OFP:E that the multiplayer is greatly improved but, meh. I mean i can understand that the finer parts escape their view, like bullet kinetics and more gunners on a vehicle.

And then in the comments they start bashing Bohemias work ethic, "5 years and they have done nothing" is almost what they are flinging around, implying BIS is lazy occasionally, saying that's the reason why Codemasters fired them (it wouldn't be the first time in history that the developer leaves the publisher cause the publisher doesn't want to do some things the way the dev, but maybe GS has insider info from codies or bis). Well pardon me but optimising OFP:E for that xbox must've been hard work. VBS1 seems quite the work too. A 15 man team with limited resources should do what the EA powered plastic companies do, well they do a few things better, but marketing isn't exactly Bohemias strenght.

The real point of OFP is that what you see is what you get, there are no illusions, no obstacles, no paths you can take. If you are hearing gunfire, then someone shot at someone -there is no background noise, everything you see and hear is there, i understand if someone who just wants to game doesn't care about this, but me personally it helps immerse myself. Unlike in COD2 where in the el alemein missions you see a ton of germans in the distance and then only a few pop out of the smoke and appear to you in the game world. If you see a bunch of helicopters move in the distance in OFP then it's not just some feature to make you feel like you are there, no those choppers are going somwhere and when they are done with what they are doing they will return home. In OFP the gameworld doesn't nessecarily revolve around the player, sometimes it does, sometimes however the player is just a part of a massive military operation.

Ah man now look at what i've done, i've been sitting here too long.

I think we should have a big CTI when Armed Assault comes out. The Community vs GameStar pistols.gif

I wonder who would win LOL.

Both links are the same, is this intended? wink_o.gif

Plus you should know that Petra really liked Flashpoint back in 2001. And she loves James Gastovski's coolness.

Let's see if I can dig up old GS mags from OFP/Resistance.

edit: Oups, doublepost. sorry.

I hope it is still OFP, with more features (like the decisions you can make in the campaign) . I don't really care about heavy graphics improvement which requires cards with 24pipelines and 512mb mem but still the eye wants something smile_o.gif like OFP did in 2001 and resistance did in 2002. smile_o.gif

For those who want to make fancy banners trashing Petra. Take a look over here.

And here is Miss Sunshine herself...

You better edit your post wink_o.gif A gamestar moderator is on his way here to pursuit you.

Who cares. I am not a member of Gamestar.de. Edited my posts though, no need to be a troublemaker wink_o.gif

I Writing by order whistle.gif :

"We began to translate the article without knowing you already did here. wink_o.gif The good thing about it - it is a translation of the revised article. That's why we still post it here.

Quote[/b] ]http://www.ofp-forum.de/forum/thread.php?postid=8273#post8273

Flashpoint - nothing else

Bohemia Interactive, the creators of the tactical shooter Operation Flashpoint, have

obviously spent the last years in deep sleep. Probably they've been awake in between for a couple of days, grabbed their 2001 tactical shooter, jazzed up textures and blown-up the island to 400 square kilometres. Additionally, they've implemented the opportunity to play missions as sniper, tank-gunner and grunt and retouched the character's movements by motion capture. The latter, we admit that straight-out, has been done astonishingly well. The other two innovations, however, rather appear to be an abashment considering that it is to be a new game at the end. But Armed Assault isn't a new game. It is merely an Operation Flashpoint that has been given a complete overhaul and it strikes us, in days of graphical engines like the Unreal Engine 3 or even the Cry-Engine, as nothing but a groaner.

Graphics isn't everything, nobody knows that better than we do. Successful ideas certainly don't have to be completely turned inside-out, however what we were shown was very humble to our minds. Looking at it from the aspect that Armed Assault is solely going to be brought to the market as Operation Flashpoint 1.5 it appears less dramatically. Anyway, we will be as merry as a lark if we can revise our first impressions at a testing, which will already take place this fall.

Beforehand, we will share the impressions we'll get from the E3's preview version we

received, at Gamestar.de

"

Would like somebody to deliver with pleasure a comment to this article in the Gamestar forum? Don’t like to create a Account?

Send me a Mail to toster @ bis-ingame.net

Will publish it with pleasure with the Gamestar in the forum *g*

Subject: “gamestarforumscommentâ€

Conent: Name:

biggrin_o.gif

not voluntarily ^^

Today, most sequels are rejected by their communities because developer was forced to change the gameplay by publisher, or they did it on their own, thinking it would be "cool", and look what happens, R6:Letdown, Commandos: Strike Force, Quake4 (Quake was all about MP, it shouldve remained that way) and many more, and community rejected them (more or less).

FYI I'm glad BIS sticked to the old engine and decided to improve it instead of making it different, and that means all the features from OFP will be there, and there will be more, so it can't be a step back. IMO That woman is in no situation to judge AA, noone is, cept IDEA/BIS, they are the only ones that have any idea what AA will look like and what it looks like at this second. When we get the game, then it will be the time to throw comments around. On another note, she is obviously not aware of VBS1/2, Game2 and number of BIS employees, FFS they ain't EA with unlimited workforce whitch is running on threadmills while making stuff for the game and being whipped on their backs. They throw out a new game every year, because they can.

If by comparing AA to UT07 or Crytek's engine means we'll be having glazed soldiers, view distance of 200m and 3 opponents per battle area, then I say no thank you.