Sign in to follow this  
Kin Hil

Map Makers!

Sidewalks, parking lots, driveways, foot paths, traffic signs, traffic lights, street lamps, telephone poles, phone booths, dumpsters, concrete barriers, streel barriers, street paint, turn lanes... where are they? They're all available in the addon community and even in the original flashpoint, but they're not implemented on new maps. You can't just lay down a network of roads, plop down some buildings, and call that a map. There are all these other objects and details that are needed, or the whole environment looks silly. How about it? confused_o.gif

Armed Assault is close enough for me not to care whether or not these sorts of things are implemented into OFP. I understand your need to see these things but give it a few months and you'll have all the Sidewalks, parking lots, driveways, foot paths, traffic signs, traffic lights, street lamps, telephone poles, phone booths, dumpsters, concrete barriers, streel barriers, street paint, turn lanes... you could ask for. and if not, they could always be added after the fact by us (the community). Just my AUD$0.02 wink_o.gif

You're right, but you've to take in mind that an island that requires 20+ addons is a map that most probably will not be played very much.

A solution could be to include the p3ds directly into the island .pbo, but in the 99,9% of the cases you've to revert the files from ODOL to MLOD wich always mess up the model, and then to repath the textures.

In addiction not all the addon makers give you the permission to do so.

Klavan

"Armed Assault is close enough for me not to care whether or not these sorts of things are implemented into OFP. I understand your need to see these things but give it a few months and you'll have all the Sidewalks, parking lots, driveways, foot paths, traffic signs, traffic lights, street lamps, telephone poles, phone booths, dumpsters, concrete barriers, streel barriers, street paint, turn lanes... you could ask for. and if not, they could always be added after the fact by us (the community). Just my AUD$0.02"

Armed Assault, I'd almost forgotten it's real. inlove.gif

Until then, do you know any good islands out there that have discovered pavement and electricity?

"You're right, but you've to take in mind that an island that requires 20+ addons is a map that most probably will not be played very much.

A solution could be to include the p3ds directly into the island .pbo, but in the 99,9% of the cases you've to revert the files from ODOL to MLOD wich always mess up the model, and then to repath the textures.

In addiction not all the addon makers give you the permission to do so.

Klavan"

It doesn't necessarily need to have much. Most of what I'm talking about can be done without addons.

All I'm asking is that island makers not miss these small but important features. Take DMA Libya for example. The thing is beautiful, requires all kinds of addons because it has incorporated mapfacts, pipelines, water towers, etc. But not a single sidewalk or parking lot in Tripoli! crazy_o.gif

Just a suggestion oh mighty island makers. whistle.gif

All I'm asking is that island makers not miss these small but important features. Take DMA Libya for example. The thing is beautiful, requires all kinds of addons because it has incorporated mapfacts, pipelines, water towers, etc. But not a single sidewalk or parking lot in Tripoli! crazy_o.gif

It's not only a matter of editing/modelling. When you plot a big city you can't forget to make it playable: one of the most common problem with many map is the lag generated in urban areas, expecially in big ones, mainly due by objects collision detection conflict.

As a secondary issue, there's the scale of the city. Objects need space around themselves.

Plus,the texturing of the terrain put other limits.

Klavan

Question that popped up in my mind: if cities lag so much because of the collision detection for all the single houses, why not making a whole block / row of many houses a single model rather than each single house ?

Wouldn't that help to get a better performance ? smile_o.gif

As Klavan already mentionned: Not everyone has the time or simply wants to download a whole salad for an island.

Best example now is Casurina. Definately too many addons. Ok the author offers to download the full pack, but i guess i have half of the addons.

But you dont need to use many addons. Best example is Novajev by martinitram. This is the best island i've ever seen and it uses mostly the resistance stuff.

It just depends on your grade of devotion, creativity etc.

Quote[/b] ]Question that popped up in my mind: if cities lag so much because of the collision detection for all the single houses, why not making a whole block / row of many houses a single model rather than each single house ?

The problem is that the geo LOD has a limited size. Ask the aircraft carrier creators, they can tell wink_o.gif

I've found you can get nice pavement effects without using addons by resizing the Lipany square and using cobbled roads. Gives off a nice village feel. smile_o.gif

Sidewalks, parking lots, driveways, foot paths, traffic signs, traffic lights, street lamps, telephone poles, phone booths, dumpsters, concrete barriers, streel barriers, street paint, turn lanes... where are they? They're all available in the addon community and even in the original flashpoint, but they're not implemented on new maps. You can't just lay down a network of roads, plop down some buildings, and call that a map. There are all these other objects and details that are needed, or the whole environment looks silly. How about it? confused_o.gif

Half of the things you want is already there in AGS Buildings Pack and 3WX Object Pack (some are even found in Resistance by default). Ever thought of that? whistle.gif

Sidewalks, parking lots, driveways, foot paths, traffic signs, traffic lights, street lamps, telephone poles, phone booths, dumpsters, concrete barriers, streel barriers, street paint, turn lanes... where are they? They're all available in the addon community and even in the original flashpoint, but they're not implemented on new maps. You can't just lay down a network of roads, plop down some buildings, and call that a map. There are all these other objects and details that are needed, or the whole environment looks silly. How about it?   confused_o.gif

Here is the thing: An average OFP island that is an average size and that the island maker works on for an average amount of time takes about 3 months to make. Assuming that ArmA is supposed to be coming out in H1 still that average island will not get released until 1 or 2 months after ArmA has been. Therefore it is kind of pointless.

"Half of the things you want is already there in AGS Buildings Pack and 3WX Object Pack (some are even found in Resistance by default). Ever thought of that?"

Finish reading what I said...

"They're all available in the addon community and even in the original flashpoint"

wink_o.gif

"Here is the thing: An average OFP island that is an average size and that the island maker works on for an average amount of time takes about 3 months to make. Assuming that ArmA is supposed to be coming out in H1 still that average island will not get released until 1 or 2 months after ArmA has been. Therefore it is kind of pointless."

I doubt Armed Assault will come out then. You must also take into account that there are many potential island makers out there at this moment just about to release their island (they're in their last month or so of development) but they haven't put in the things I suggested.

"I've found you can get nice pavement effects without using addons by resizing the Lipany square and using cobbled roads. Gives off a nice village feel."

Exactly.

Here is the thing: An average OFP island that is an average size and that the island maker works on for an average amount of time takes about 3 months to make.

On that timetable, are you still using Visitor to make islands?

Just wait for Bonaire island. It will be full with stuff of what you are talking about. But still I guess it only will be released after ArmA.

Bonaire will consist of just five pbo's or so, but everything is made from scratch, so 3 months is way to short for me to complete it...

Now, what we REALLY need is dog bins!

I made a simple one with textures and its the shit biggrin_o.gifcrazy_o.gif

Wildo

"Now, what we REALLY need is dog bins!"

Even that. I can make the list longer... parking meters, billboards, drainage ditches, over passes, toll booths...

Another thing, why don't the windows on buildings light up at sunset. It seems like an easy script, and is plain common sense.

huh.gif

"Just wait for Bonaire island. It will be full with stuff of what you are talking about. But still I guess it only will be released after ArmA.

Bonaire will consist of just five pbo's or so, but everything is made from scratch, so 3 months is way to short for me to complete it..."

Release a beta for us, it's a good looking island.