Sign in to follow this  
Snake Man

JAM Appreciation campaign design

PMC Joint Justice OFP Campaign

Large basic infantry combat campaign on all BIS islands. You play role of infantry squad leader in war against Russians. This campaign was previously known as "PMC JAM Appreciation" campaign. It feature weapons and team member status saved to the next mission. Many missions have additional support troops to back you up, including CAS and armored vehicles. This is now the first release to the public.

Required addons

JAM3 (three!) ----------------- OFP.info and patch CAVS vehicles

Bn880 Tracers v1.24 --------- BIS forum topic

We are looking feedback from anyone playing this campaign, please post into this topic, thank you.

More details in PMC Tactical and PMC Tactical Forums.

The campaign itself, download v0.1 PMC_Joint_Justice_v0.1.rar - 494kb.

Edited by Snake Man

PMC Fury was my first ever unofficial OFP download, and it remains my favourite campaign to this day. I personally enjoyed the squad to platoon level straight-up infantry stuff more than any of the special missions (I think that is what OFP does best).

So I would like to see basically more of the same. To differentiate from PMC Fury, perhaps the first half of the campaign could be desperate rearguard actions against a seemingly invincible enemy. Missions like "Hold this position for 15 minutes" or "Kill x enemy and withdraw with at least 50% of your force intact". Near-defeats and narrow escapes galore. Eventually the tide turns and the offensive begins. Maybe the player could work work his way up from rifleman to platoon leader. Limit the air, armour and arty as in PMC Fury.

perhaps the first half of the campaign could be desperate rearguard actions against a seemingly invincible enemy.

The campaign starts on basic offensive action, but then there will be heavy enemy counter attacks which should be nice to experience.

Quote[/b] ]Missions like "Hold this position for 15 minutes" or "Kill x enemy and withdraw with at least 50% of your force intact". Near-defeats and narrow escapes galore.

Was that just a random example, or are you saying that it would be ok/realistic to have such objective where you have to hold position for 15 minutes?

I dont know personally, quickly to think it sounds a little bit gamey that sort of exact timelimit.

There are plenty of way to see a timelimit as a realistic reason to achieve an objective.

By example, "holding an objective for X minutes" could be in fact some squads trying to delay a stronger opposing force until a fuel convoy can reach a location

Or some squads trying to delay an assault enough time to allow the defense in the main nearby allied area to be reinforced enough to resist the incoming enemy.

In those cases failing to achieve the objective in the timelimit would mean the fuel convoy being destroyed and so the allied vehicles being limited in their movements, or the main nearby allied area being assaulted without many soldiers to defend or without any serious defenses in place.

In that case timelimit should be slightly random, as no one really knows how fast convoy will move due to some unexpected events. It would be really nervous, if in briefing player would read about 15 minutes, and then time would flow, 16 minutes... what's going on, 17 minutes, is script bugged? 18 minutes, at last there is an order to retreat smile_o.gif

By example, "holding an objective for X minutes" could be in fact some squads trying to delay a stronger opposing force until a fuel convoy can reach a location

Or some squads trying to delay an assault enough time to allow the defense in the main nearby allied area to be reinforced enough to resist the incoming enemy.

Ah indeed that makes sense. Thanks for the description of such events. I'll keep that in mind if I could implement such mission type into the campaign, at the moment the defend missions are just "hold them back until mission ends" player has no idea when the mission ends, ie when the enemy attack has been stopped.

Hi Snake Man,

Sounds great - I'm sure this will be another thoroughbred from the PMC stable!

If you're planning to use any HD mags in the mission, there are some great scripts that swap dead units' HD mags for normal ones if a player goes to pick them up. OFPEC should have them when it returns.

Nice idea to just use the JAM units & weapons - in theory they're just there to show addomakers how to add JAM compatibility, but they're great to use with Y2K3, EECP, FFUR etc because all unit/weapon/vehicle/optic models are inherited from the base config (excepting the mosin, rpd, sks, M14, M79 and AT weapons).

Cheers mate thumbs-up.gif

CH

Sounds great - I'm sure this will be another thoroughbred from the PMC stable!

Well this is somewhat going back to the basics, like said, PMC Fury 2006 so to speak, the missions use same guideline / style / design, only with my current level of mission making knowhow. JAM is transparent and the only addon used beyond that is the tracers, so its very close to the PMC Fury neighborhood.

Only fancy new stuff I used is Bn880's nice CoC AI On Demand (AIOD) which helps the larger enemy attack missions greatly.

Quote[/b] ]If you're planning to use any HD mags in the mission, there are some great scripts that swap dead units' HD mags for normal ones if a player goes to pick them up.

The whole "JAM" for me is the High Dispersion, there are only HD magazines used in this campaign, longer firefights and mayhem. Gotta love that stuff.

I mean... I have no interest of making PMC Fury 2 with just BIS values, no point. But for JAM HD stuff... ahh now we're talking! smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]in theory they're just there to show addomakers how to add JAM compatibility

Yes well in these days with high poly gizmos and gadgets, for this campaign I still like the basic stuff that is completely slowdown/stutter/"lag" free, ie the BIS weapons. I have no urge to get myself an supa-dupa M4 with coffee maker attached to it. I rather have a killer cool combat atmosphere than such weapon, and there is always the other campaigns I made which use LSR weapons with coffee makers smile_o.gif

This campaign is like the topic says a JAM Appreciation Campaign, I just wanted to use JAM3 for it. Easy to install, no need to hunt gazillion addons and few supporting addons for them, then to have slow OFP startup and huge memory requirements... no no, this is pure JAM fun.

I like JAM.

Especially with peanut butter.

biggrin_o.gif

No really, I do!

Also, the Joint Ammo and Magazines addon is quite good too wink_o.gif

The only thing i don't like about it is the 'snappy-crack' of the guns. It's probably more realistic but Lasers sounds better. But i do like the 'smaking-into-the-ground' sfx, very nice.

Also i get totally confused when assigning the ammo, too many choices for my simple mind. sad_o.gif

Good luck on the mission though.!

Hi Stegman,

Quote[/b] ]Also, the Joint Ammo and Magazines addon is quite good too. The only thing i don't like about it is the 'snappy-crack' of the guns.  It's probably more realistic but Lasers sounds better.

Try one of these two alternative soundpacks. They were part of the JAM3 release:

Rainbow soundpack - high quality sounds, very little echo

Cinemania soundpack - Boom!

Just replace the current JAM_Sounds.pbo with one of these. This won't cause any problems in MP - all players can use any sounds they want.

And you can easily make your own JAM_Sounds.pbo, using whatever sounds you want.

Apologies Snake Man for hijacking the thread   smile_o.gif

Cheers,

CH

Quote[/b] ]Apologies Snake Man for hijacking the thread

No problemos, I take all bumps I can get smile_o.gif

No seriously, I thought to post something about the developments. I have been making the missions, which feel pretty good to me (just so nice to have clean JAM/Bn880 tracer setup), hopefully they have ok playbalance. Action_man was kind enough to post some campaign name suggestions which are here

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">"retribution"

"hell hath no fury"

"lightning war"

"rumble in the islands"

"shatterd peace"

"invasion force"

"the task force"

"codename sweepout"

"island salvation"

"the liberators"

"codname liberation"

"peace makers"

"codename peacemaker"

"fight the good fight"

"uncle sam does the island's"

"a war worth fighting"

"the 10 day war"

"salvation"

"codename salvation"

Strangely these are the only ones I've seen so far. Apparently it is not so easy to design a campaign which clearly shows on the forums, for example my old "PMC Euro" topic in which very little name suggestions came about etc. I definitely think that hardest part of making a campaign is the storyline/name planning.

Anyways, I hope someone posts more good campaign name suggestions and still those mission ideas.

In the campaign design doc there is no special missions at the moment. They can be added without problems lateron too, but perhaps some of that could be related directly to storyline somehow. At the moment all I can think of is the already mentioned clishe helicopter goes down type of stuff. I think good ones is where the mission goes haywire and not according to plan, ie on the way to the target helo gets shot down or truck gets ambushed, something along those lines. Or even perhaps some nastiness that after a successfull mission, you return to base in helo and its crawling with enemy forces on sneak attack. Something that really surprises player.

Missions are ready now. I would like to have few people playtest them before public release.

We have chosen a real name for this campaing, it is; PMC Joint Justice