Sign in to follow this  
DBR_ONIX

Longest game online?

Me and Codarl/Gandalf/Gladiator/whateveryouwanttocallhim decided to play CTI today, which lasted ~450minutes (Around 4hours).. Which reminded me of a Crime City mission I played with RCIR (First /previous squad sad_o.giftounge2.gif) which lasted.. either 6 or 9 hours..

Has anyone else played an OFP mission (or another game for that matter (no not World of War Craft)) that lasted that long..

Read a different way : Am I normal? huh.gif

icon_rolleyes.gif

- Ben

ive once played a public( ! ) CTI that lasted for about 5 hours, yes, i had really nothing to do that day...  tounge2.gif

Altough i stopped playing CTI, just takes too long...  wink_o.gif

EDIT: And call him Gandhi, he didnt seem to mind when he was still on the ofp.info forums, or maybe he never knew i was talking to him... tounge2.gif

There was an EFL match that lasted some 10 hours, between DK and SS. It wasn't long after the rekease of resistance and was on a ctf map that involved two islands seperated by a narrow strip of water. Due to sudden-death, first flag wins, the game lasted some time, and due to the tide it became impossible for either side to cross the strait, after much waiting the tide receded again and dk was able to snatch a flag.

I'll find some screenshots.

I've played a 5 odd hour BWmod CTI in VCB (just to unwind, coops our main thing) once, started off with about 8 of us all on one side, ended up with just 2 of us at the end at about 3am tounge2.gif Was very determined not to loose tounge2.gif

Hmm wounder if we could hold some sort of record attempt? tounge2.gif we could ask for some one to kindly donate us a server and organise a time and date when a bunch of us are free for an entire day.(Maybe in the summer holidays for us younger folk) and get some one to make a large dynamice coop with spawning AI and maybe a few nifty features. Im thinking maybe veitnam setting?

Then we all stock up on coke, coffee, and energy drinks, meet in the server early in the day, and play non stop intill we brake some insanly stupid time record for playing OFP.

What you think guys? biggrin_o.gif

Biggest problem with long games like that is (basicly) stability, and if someone crashes, or their connection dies, their screwed for getting back in the game (One huge thing I'm looking forward to in ArmA, JiP)

An interesting idea though.. I'd be happy to host something like this (Could setup a spare PC as a dedicated server), but my upload speed limits me hosting to around 5 people without it lagging..

- Ben

Well if any ones intrested ive got an old mission which iv just got off of playing for the last two hours. Guerilla tatics! one i made some time ago. The basic idea is us players (8 in total) have to liberate an intire islland of madlen from the russians by scavanging for ammo and vehicles and scouting areas of the map for enemys and convoys to scavange and attack. We start with one respawn truck that if destroyed means the missions failed.

Iv just been playing it for the last two hours by my self. only managed to liberate quater of the island (areas show green/red on the map if there occupied or not). So could possibly be good for a coop with just a few of us (doesnt require all 8 slots filled) where we gotta work together, set up ambushes for convoys, and decide which areas of the map to assualt next.

If i get some free time i might touch the mission up a bit, its still a bit rough around the edges.

Sounds great to me.. Abandoned Armies Online! That is.. if I can ever get my computer working again...

If around 6 or 7 people want to play (hosted around that many people with a slower connection, on server-and-play, so shouldn't be a problem..), I could easily enough set up the dedicated server, and I'd be happy to play smile_o.gif

As for making it the "longest OFP game", with the wonderfullness of broadband anyone who wanted oculd leave their computer over night, and continue playing the next day.. If it comes to that chances are it's one of the longer games already, but might as well make it a hard time to beat tounge2.gif

If your fiddling with that Gurrila tactics mission, my advice is to remove as much unnesseriary units/vehicles/scripts as possible.. Though incomparison to things like CTI, it should be fairly light smile_o.gif

- Ben

There was an EFL match that lasted some 10 hours, between DK and SS. It wasn't long after the rekease of resistance and was on a ctf map that involved two islands seperated by a narrow strip of water. Due to sudden-death, first flag wins, the game lasted some time, and due to the tide it became impossible for either side to cross the strait, after much waiting the tide receded again and dk was able to snatch a flag.

I remember that match well.. the sunning was coming up by the time it was finished.. pure and utter madness  crazy_o.gif   banghead.gif

As for making it the "longest OFP game", with the wonderfullness of broadband anyone who wanted oculd leave their computer over night, and continue playing the next day.. If it comes to that chances are it's one of the longer games already, but might as well make it a hard time to beat tounge2.gif

We started playing some missions, and then around 00.00 we started a coop i made called "huge".. (guess why)

04.00, i went to bed, 08.00 contined to play (had been hiding under some trees).. and we played the next morning until 10.00 when I got a ctd..

so 10 hours but only like 6 hours of actually gaming.

and yesterday we played bastinge island for only like 3 hours but got 500+ kills =)

Quote[/b] ]If your fiddling with that Gurrila tactics mission, my advice is to remove as much unnesseriary units/vehicles/scripts as possible.. Though incomparison to things like CTI, it should be fairly light

As it stands theres only 9 small and simple scripts biggrin_o.gif mainly for unit spawn and random patroll. The other units on the map are the convoys and a few tanks and choppers on gaurd waypoints, and convoys on sentury waypoints. so when you attack a convoy, with out any fancy cpu heavy scripting, the nearest group of tanks or choppers will come to aid the convoy biggrin_o.gif

The only addiont im considering is adding a port where convoys and tanks will spawn once there former counter parts are destroyed, and return to there gaurd posistions/looping waypoints. This port will be heavly defended and players must destroy it stop things like tanks and more convoys spawning.

So itll take some time for players to gather enough resources and weapons to attack the port before they can start liberating the island (since any thing they destroy prevoiusly is replaced at the port and sent back to the location)

I played trough the FDF "guardpost" mission without 4X time acceleration... those are times I really wished Patience was simulated ingame tounge2.gif .

Looking through my database of games i found some candidates.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

| Server Name | players | mission | start_time | end_time | duration | player_time |

| X2 - Public | 11 | crCTI 0.93 @dll Anilym | 2006-03-31 03:46:10 | 2006-03-31 10:44:28 | 25098 | 148533 |

| Oldfreakz Public Ser | 18 | crCTI 0.93 @dll v5 Everon | 2006-04-24 21:08:15 | 2006-04-25 02:57:01 | 20926 | 219277 |

| [MP-OFP] Beijing Ser | 16 | crCTI 0.93 BWCTI@DVD 1.41 Schippio | 2006-04-24 16:08:40 | 2006-04-24 21:21:26 | 18766 | 205116 |

| KaRRiLLioN's BootCam | 13 | rts3 @ freya 1.52 [karr] | 2006-04-01 04:40:40 | 2006-04-01 09:52:41 | 18721 | 9360 |

That game on Oldfreakz server is especially impressive since they managed to have an average of 10 players in the game for nearly 6 hours!

Ye, just finished playing CTI with Mr Codarl, which lasted around 3-4 hours, which seemed fairly short (Mainly because the AI done really badly that time biggrin_o.gif )

D.murphy man : If you sort that Gurilla Tactics mission out, I wouldn't mind having a look at it.

Anyone interested : I got bored (and part to experiment setting the OFP dedicated server up on linux) and set the OFP dedi-server up on my laptop. Just need to copy the OFP folder across (Can't copy it of the CD's since it's only at v1.46, and the updater wont run obviously). I'd be happy to host "the longest game online" if people are interested tounge2.gif

I think the best day for it is Saturday, so it could go over onto Sunday if needed, and most people don't have school/work over the weekends (And if your like me, on monday either.. or Friday most weeks.. biggrin_o.gif)

goodnight.gif

- Ben

A year ago, my brother and I were playing paintball on Desert Island over LAN before a camping trip while we were waiting for our ride. We stopped after several matches, and left the game on to have some breakfast. Our lift arrived and we forgot that we left the game on.

4 days later we come back and the game's still running... thankfully we didn't leave the screens on (force of habit, my parents were always finicky about power bills) so no burn. We did play some more the same match after we washed. Final score. West 44 East 26 So that's about err... at least 96 hours tounge2.gif

Not the longest "game" per se, but I guess it's the longest time we've ever left flashpoint run on our computers...

Quote[/b] ]D.murphy man : If you sort that Gurilla Tactics mission out, I wouldn't mind having a look at it.

well its pretty much playble in its current form (since i did release about a year back) its just it could use a few more tweaks and additions. If you make a search in the User Mission section for it youll most properly find the old topic. I belive a few people made mirriors for download.

Lately i still cant find time to make any more addtions to it sad_o.gif because of college and just srtarting a new job.

Great story *rofl* So how about the screenshots smile_o.gif

ive played a CTI for around 3 hours then it started to lagg lmao biggrin_o.gif

erm sorry to butt in but its kind of relevant is there away to save a cti at all? I have searched but never found

So is there a cti with a save in? I have never seen one, correct me if i am wrong

I would liek to play cti but do not have to the time to play hours at a time