Sign in to follow this  
GAU-8

gaming witha FRESNEL LENS..

I got my lens last week from http://www.icetec-uk.com/.

Including shipping it was a little under $40 and came in about 6 days to the US, which I thought was pretty good. After I ordered from them I did some more research and read all kinds of posts where people did not get there shipment from them. So I was a little worried for a couple days. It seems they had some shipping trouble for a month back in March... I guess they got it squared away.

I set about building a frame for it using posterboard. I spent about $7 between the glue and the posterboard. I suck at arts and crafts so its not that pretty but it gets the job done.

It took me a while to get a comfortable viewing distance / position to play in. I'm still not 100% perfect but its getting there. Last night was the first night that I was comfortable playing. I need to move my frame up another 1/2 inch to be perfect. I was a little disappointed at first because I had to put myself in uncomfortable postions to play. Also viewing text and web pages isn't great (not really bad, just not as good as without the lense) and since I have to switch back and forth to windows a lot (editing, etc.) I wasn't real happy with that.

However after playing for about an hour last night, I was really enjoying this lense. I really felt much more into the game and it definately adds depth. I definately enjoy using it. I just wish I had a quick & easy way to move the lense out of place. Lastly I have a problem with a light I have on behind me. Its reflected in my view, which is a little annoying. I can't turn it off because my wife uses it. Anyhoo, its a nice addtion of less than $50.

Thanks nubbin77 for the 'heads up' on that site! I've not come across them before. It seems that they are getting stuck into this fresnel lens idea, guess it must be catching!

I was interested in their so called 'anti reflection' lenses and also their VR Cabinet, that would save a lot of sticky tape and foam board for many! The lens that they are using in their VR cabinet though is presumably the same one that you have just bought (w/o the cabinet) and is anti reflection. However, it has a focal length of: 326mm, which is a bit shorter than the F330 from 3DLens.com

Like I said in my last post I found that the F330 to be a bit too restrictive in the way it has to be used i.e. you need to sit quite close to it to see everything properly. I did read somewhere on their site though that they will be producing a longer focus lens i think 600 or so which would be much easier to use a bit like the F550 from 3DLens.com that I am using at the moment. I will keep an eye on this company, as they are obviously new to this game!

I would say a 600 or 550 anti reflection lens with an easy to assemble VR cabinet would kick ass! Also I find that the longer focus lenses are user-friendlier for other applications such as Word or surfing the net, so no need to keep removing them!   wink_o.gif

Hey Red Kite, how far away are you sitting right now from your actual monitor with the 550?

The problem I think I will have is the lack of room to adjust. I can’t move my monitor (19â€CRT in the picture) any further back or it will fall off my desk and I wouldn’t want to move it any closer then it already is. I also can’t sit further back, because reaching for the keyboard and mouse would be uncomfortable. So, right now, the lens would have to fit in almost perfectly with my situation. When I play games, my eyes are about 19"-21†from the glass of the monitor (give or take an inch). So, I sit up pretty close when gaming and slouch back when not (maybe 28†away from the monitor when not gaming).

Since you have the same monitor size RedKite (19â€, but 18†viewable I assume), what is the actual distance in inches you would need between your eyes and the monitor screen to get a clear picture looking though the 330 and 550?

Here’s a different variation on your frame setup (maybe it could work with foam board too). I don’t have a lamp I could use and I don’t have anything behind my monitor to hold anything, so if you use a frame like you did and use some kind of attachments to attach the frame to the top of the monitor (maybe velcro holding it). All you would then need is two support pegs to rest again the monitor. So, instead of having velcro all round the frame of your monitor if you use the foam board method, now you would only have two pieces on the top. Hell, if your monitor is at an angle pointing up like mine, maybe you don’t even need velcro to hold it up.

lens6eb.jpg

(I used this lens for picture purposes only)

This is supposedly what I ordered, although to be honest, some of the #'s don't seem to add up. Maybe this was what the original specs were supposed to be but I can't see this lense that I have being a 600 mm focal point.

Quote[/b] ]VX-2 Fresnel VR lens specifications ...

Image magnification factor: +50%

Type: Positive Aspheric.

Size: 350 x 270 mm.

Focal length: 600mm

Fresnel Conjugate: Infinite.

Groove Density: 100 Grooves-per-inch.

Material: Optical grade acrylic.

Thickness: 2mm solid.

Quote[/b] ]Mounting the VX-2 Fresnel VR lens...

In general the distance from lens to monitor should be approximately 30 percent less than the lens stated focal length. The VX-2 has a focal length of 600mm and so 600 minus 30%=420mm (16.5 inches). You don't have to be exact but you will find this 30% rule gives you a good lens distance in terms of clarity and depth of focus. The VX-2 can be placed further than 17 inches from the monitor screen and still maintain good image clarity (due to its long focal length and 100gpi facet density).

Your viewing distance from monitor screen can be 30 inches or even greater with the VX-2 lens (thus the lens is ideal for those who wish to integrate it into their home-built cockpit system). The extended viewing distance also means desktop gamers don't have to sit with their faces close to the Fresnel in order to get the full benefit of Fresnel VR. The VX-2 is an unbelievably accomodating lens!

I got this lens over the 550 because of the 2 paragraphs above. I wanted to be able to mount this thing a little further away so I could be more comforatable. I don't think I have it more than 8 inches away right now. Maybe I'll try putting it a little further back tonight and see how that goes.

i wonder how VX-2 VR handles 20,21,24 " widescreen monitors ...

edit: well they say "The VX-2 can accomodate monitor sizes from 17 to 26 inches or more with no loss of screen area!"

yet some opinions are welcome

rg7621 with my current set-up using the 550 I am usually sitting about 23" from the lens and the lens ia another 11" from the monitor. Although these distances don't have to be precise and they seem to be different every time I measure them! That's what I like about this lens unlike the 330 where I would need to be no more than 10" or so from it to see the entire monitor area. I could move the lens closer this will generally reduce the magnification though. I could also sit much closer this makes no difference - just brings everything nearer!

nubbin77 those specs sound about right for a 600. If that’s what it is then you should be able to sit well over 30" away from the lens and still see most of your screen. If it becomes like looking at a wheel with the only clear view in the centre as you move back it could be that you have the 326 by mistake! I just tried my 330 again this evening (swapped it over in the frame that I made) and found myself putting the 550 back fairly soon after! I just can't get on with the 330 it just strains my eyes and cramps my style! Are there no markings on the lens? With mine the focal numbers are etched into the corners.

Dwarden I've not tried the lens on a wide screen, which is a bit lazy of me since my wife’s comp, has a 19" wide screen! But I can't see why there should be a problem. The lenses are shaped for a conventional PC monitor so is ideal for them. With a wide screen you might have to put the lens closer or sit closer to the lens to get the full width of the screen in view or just move your head as necessary!   wink_o.gif

Also with the VX-2 being: 350 x 270 mm and the F550 being 400 x 320mm there will be more of a limitation as to how far back you can sit from the VX-2 and still see the entire screen. A larger lens is definitely better than a smaller lens. Taking up less desktop space is a poor excuse for making a lens smaller! I'll keep my eye on these VX anti reflection lenses, but until they make them bigger I think I'll stick to the F550 from 3DLens.com!  biggrin_o.gif

My brain just exploded

Sorry to hear that! Would you care to elaborate, or shall we wait for the autopsy?   rofl.gif

Judging by the number of posts that you've made since January; I would say that an overdose of spamming might be the cause!  whistle.gif

Just rigged up a simple frame for my wife’s wide screen monitor (as she's been going on at me!wink_o.gif. It's a simple freestanding frame that I made up in no time at all.

Two lengths of 1.2mtr long 10x2mm aluminium flat section rods from a hardware store (B&Q), 6x 3mm nut & bolt (tiny!wink_o.gif and one cordless drill with a 3mm HSS bit. Oh, and a F550 lens of course. Using a pair of pliers and a tape measure to measure and mark the bends, I simply bent the rods into the shape in the picture below.

basic_shape.jpg

I then measured and drilled three holes in each rod to support the lens at each end (top, middle and bottom). Placing the lens edge onto the rods then drilled corresponding holes into the lens. Attached the lens to the rods using three 3mm nut & bolt at each end!

The lenses are quite strong so they don't need to be supported all the way around. However, one word of caution when drilling these lenses as they are quit brittle and I did manage to break off a bit at one corner whilst drilling close to the edge. The trick is to use next to no pressure when you are drilling and just let the drill cut through in its own time.

side_view.jpg

front-view.jpg

Simple but effective!   tounge2.gif

mon17zg.jpg

This is my monitor. I'm going to build a bigger one this fall and give this one to my son.

--Ben

This is my monitor.  I'm going to build a bigger one this fall and give this one to my son.

--Ben

Interesting set-up there Ben! What's the blue screen on the top? Does that hinge down or something? I can't quite work out how the lens is fixed but it looks very professional!

Thanks. The main screen (with the glare) is the gaming monitor with the fresnel lense. The blue thing on top is the wallpaper of the second monitor. I've been building these things since 1996 and this the best one I've done because it's so much easier to work with an LCD.

--Ben

Fresnell lenses are a good idea to improve a monitor in order to get an enhanced z-depth. wow_o.gif

This is very ingenious to reverse it usual emplification use from a lighthouse. yay.gif

Does it change the focal length too or this is compensated by the distance between the monitor and the lens? thumbs-up.gif

Definitely changes the focal length. You look thru it and into the game.

--Ben

Just got mine from icetec! (thanks nubbin for the recommendation) I got scared because I ordered it just over a week ago and haven't heard anything until yesterday about a shipment and it only said they(USPS) received info - nothing about when or how long it would take. I found it when I went home for lunch today and quickly launched OFP just to see the menu screen and held it up. So much for USPS' tracking system.... according to them they haven;t even picked it up yet! :P

Here is my opinion thus far:

Does make games more appealing! I wouldn't go as far as saying it's a miracle/wonder device, but it does make it better. If you've got $40 burning a hole... try this.. you won't regret it. If you are deciding between this and perhaps a new wireless router or something then I would skip it and go with whatever else you might be looking at until you're happy with your current gaming environment. It won't make that bad guy jump out at you or that cloud in the sky 'fluffier', but it does make it easier to focus on.

I got the 550 or 600 or whatever it was and found that I need to have the lens rather close to my face. It's fine if you sit up and close, bad if you like to sit back and game.

As far as virtual size, yes.. I need to lean left and right to see the full screen size, but if I had a 40" screen (or whatever the virtual size is) it would be easier to see everything. I could certainly pull the lens closer to see everything, but then I'd be sitting way too close to the lens to be comfortable. TrackIR probably remedies all this pretty well since you just tilt your head a little and everything is center screen instead of off to the side.

Does make the monitor easier to look at which is great because I sit in front of a 19" LCD for 9 hours only to get online at home on another 19" LCD for another 4-5 hours (after dinner and chores of course!wink_o.gif. This will help relax my eyes a bit on game nights.

What I would do different:

Try and find a bigger lens. I have a 19" and the largest one they had is barely enough. I quick held it up to a 17" and it was perfect size.

Hope this helps.

Agreed. I used the box method, (Disgusing output compared to most of you guys, probably why I got a C in woodshop.) and with a 22" monitor, its just... magnifying the points I looks at with my eyes. I'm really torn between the 3d effect, immersion, and the lack loss of clarity. I'd love to have one be a bit a bigger on the sides and top, to actually increase my viewspace. I enjoy it, but not to the extent that I thought I would when I tried it on my bro-in-laws 19" LCD. Nevertheless, it makes games more fun/interesting!

I got the 550 or 600 or whatever it was and found that I need to have the lens rather close to my face. It's fine if you sit up and close, bad if you like to sit back and game.

Hmm! I use the F550 from 3dlens.com and I often sit with my eyes 30" away from the lens, with the lens 6" away from the monitor I can just about see the entire area of my 19" tft.

The lens I use measures 400mm x 320mm so is bigger anyway as Icetecs are only 310mm square. I'm wondering just how accurate these focal lengths quoted by Icetec are though if you are having to sit close to the lens to see everything with a 550/600.

Hmm! I use the F550 from 3dlens.com and I often sit with my eyes 30" away from the lens, with the lens 6" away from the monitor I can just about see the entire area of my 19" tft.

The lens I use measures 400mm x 320mm so is bigger anyway as Icetecs are only 310mm square. I'm wondering just how accurate these focal lengths quoted by Icetec are though if you are having to sit close to the lens to see everything with a 550/600.

It's the smaller size of the lens and not the focal point.

Because it is smaller, the lens doesn't cover as much area natively hence the need for me to lean from side to side to see all of it.  In order for the monitor to cover the entire area of my monitor, I need to move the lens further towards me (slightly, but limiting keyboard space) and move myself closer to the lens causing a fishbowl effect and slight loss of focus - but I see do the whole monitor that way.

Again, this would be fine if the lens were just bigger side-side & top-bottom.

[EDIT] I'd also like to add I can see a noticable moire effect by using this. If I built my frame as unadjustable, I could see that getting to be annoying.

[EDIT] My perceived 'virtual' monitor is roughly 27". About 40% increase. Is that normal? or should I expect more?

My brain just exploded

Sorry to hear that! Would you care to elaborate, or shall we wait for the autopsy?   rofl.gif

Judging by the number of posts that you've made since January; I would say that an overdose of spamming might be the cause!  whistle.gif

This account was transfered

I got my 3dlens.com 550 in the mail and I do love it. The screen appears much larger and kinda curved. Also I get a sense that I'm not watching pixels but more like a projected image.

I think I'm going to make a lense holder for my LCD that's a disused bardboard box.

Anyone have any recommends on cleaning the thing? The grooved side is a pain to keep clean.

I've been using "Endust for Electronics" since it is made for plastics and screens. Works pretty well! Also is an anti-static.

I'm somewhat regretting now not getting the larger lens from 3d lens. I keep finding myself adjusting and sitting a little too close for comfort to the lens.  

Red Kite, reading how far you can sit away and how far away you can have the lens from the monitor relaly makes me think that the focal length of the lense I got was much less than as indicated on the website.. or maybe it is just the size.  Either way I am jealous of your lens  tounge2.gif

Edit: Sorry Crashdome for probably steering you to the wrong lens. I threw it out there as an alternative and that place had good info that made me think they might be the better buy. For anyone else looking to get into this, I'd go with 3d lens.

Since I don't have mine mounted yet, I will test the focal length and post my results. We'll see what it is vs. what it should be. My eyesight ain't great, but it should be atleast close to actual when I test it.

My perceived 'virtual' monitor is roughly 27". About 40% increase.  Is that normal? or should I expect more?

With my F550 my perceived monitor is about 50% bigger with very little blurring. Also sitting far back as I do there is no fishbowl effect either.

My new 19" TFT recently had to go back as it was suffering from a screen centering problem (been gone over 2 weeks now, Acer customer service stinks!wink_o.gif so I've been using my old 17" iiyama flat screen CRT. This lens though makes this 17" look more like a 28" and set back another 8"! ... I use it for surfing (right now) everything!  wink_o.gif

I also can't understand why Icetech make their lens's square! Ever seen a square monitor?  dunno.gif

Edit2: Hmm! I see their VX-2 lens is 350 x 270mm so is 4:3, but that's still too small IMO! Is this what you guys are using?