Sign in to follow this  
Marco.A.Aguilar1

Ingame voice chat

Will ArmA have an ingame voice option or will we find ourselves using third-party applications like Teamspeak?

I dont think anything has been said, could be wrong.

Didnt OFP have VOIP? I thought it did. I never really played online with a mic.

I personaly love the BF2 VOIP. Everyone should'nt <FIXED> be able to yell at anyone

Well OFP had one, but there was a problem with it, and unused after a while, I think it had to do somethig with directplay and sockets, worked in one, and not the other. Anyway, I think they will implement it again in Arma, I even think I read it somewhere.

i really hope ARMA dont have that.

neighter the text chat. hope theres an option to remove/add the text chat in mp.

Guest Ti0n3r

Maybe some external OFP friendly TS2 kind of app? Just a thought... xmas_o.gif

considering that BIS like open source (ODE mentioned for Game2) ...

Speex http://www.speex.org/ is way to go (yes Speex is used in TeamSpeak too) ...

The main problem with TeamSpeak is that everyone in the same channel. You can make squads up, but it should be enforced in game. What would rock is if you had to use a radio man or radio yay.gif I bet some crazy modder out there could make that happen.

I'd like ofp to have some sort of voiseshit that makes of possible to "talk" ingame. not like a radio but more like real speaking, so your voise is only heard about 10-20 meters.

then the radio guy could have the possibility to talk like a radio. this feuture would be very usefull in missions like crime city or nogville tounge2.gif

I'd like ofp to have some sort of voiseshit that makes of possible to "talk" ingame. not like a radio but more like real speaking, so your voise is only heard about 10-20 meters.

then the radio guy could have the possibility to talk like a radio. this feuture would be very usefull in missions like crime city or nogville tounge2.gif

Well it originally did - it was the Direct Speech setting. It was the one which wrote the writing in the middle of the screen or if voice was used the only people close by would hear. Handy for "Charge!!!111oneoneone".

Can only use OFP voice with Direct IP, not sockets

i think that would be a great option, only VOIPing in a certain area, unless you are a radioman and only other radiomen can hear you etc...this way you would really need to send an info over bottlenecks of many persons (also a commander in the field could send a courier to the radioman on the other side of the trenches or so...+1 bottleneck. this woulda really be friggin hell of a great thingy. imagine the courier gets shot without notice and the expected tanksupport did not even know they were expected to come, it could easily decide a battle if information and coordination is (or is not) handled carefully...though, im pretty sure its annoying to code and anyway is counted to the "yes, very realistic, but not fun/arcade enough for our GAME-not simulator!*points towards heaven*" section of BIS.

For SP of course this feat could be completely left out, as its really bad for the fun aspect also of newbies, which have it hard enough to find into a game like ofp (remember how hard it is to persuade YOUR friends for playing ofp?)

But in an CTI this would just be...omg *ejaculates*...amazing!

But as long as VOIP is inbuild, modders should be able to do an addon doing just this....THOUGH (ill never end...) it would be nicer to have this feat regularly for better getting used to over time and not being able to use it only in a mission specifically designed for it.

Sorry for tah flame,

-Storm

Ye, if VOIP is added, it should be able to change tru scripts. eg define who can talk to who, "direct" talking.

The comunnity does the rest xmas_o.gif

Well it originally did - it was the Direct Speech setting. It was the one which wrote the writing in the middle of the screen or if voice was used the only people close by would hear. Handy for "Charge!!!111oneoneone".

No way, OFP had that. let me get this straight if two players were next to each other you could talk (not write) to them and they would hear you, and if you were over a hill they couldnt?

...i think among those frist interviews it was mentioned that Armed Assault will have ingame voice chat.

so...i guess no need for TS.

Well, it works good enough in SWAT4. It's very conveniant if you don't have to worry about "in game voice chat" programmes, you just configure it ingame and it works.

Seems like the voip is going to be in armed assault

SimHQ E3 Interview

Quote[/b] ]A VOIP comms system is now embedded in the game engine, making multiplayer on-line play more coordinated.

What i´d like to suggest is that there should be somekind of mute function in the voip which affects both the sender and receiver. I mean that after you hit the speak button, the game should lower the volume levels on all the other sfx coming from the game, -70% or something like that, or perhaps even an adjustable mute level.

This might help teamwork on mp play, imagine yourself in fierce firefight or driving tank all guns blazing, it´s almost impossible to make any sense what your friend is trying to say to you on voip.

Changed muffle to mute.

I hope it is directional... The VoIP options that are available in OFP are fantastic... Ie Direct, vehicle, team, etc. But if they manage to give it some direction that will help situational awareness heaps. Most people on TS just say ... "I see enemy over here"... That is when I say "Where is over here "...lol

muffling what is already mostly a muffled sound? get outta here you crazy cat!

EDIT: whoops, sorry for making requests/suggestions. I'll leave it up to you to delete or whatever. :\

I wonder if, this means not only radio talk but mouth to mouth talk too. (ala VC 1) where you may here enemys talking in the bushes at say 10meters away.

oh and i'd like to see a feat that would mute other players in the squad while the team leader is talking. I play COOP and this is sometimes a big big problem on TS.

Maybe this is offtopic, but in car radio for music would be badass. Servers could make some sort of playlist for all the vehicles. Think "apocolypes now",coming for attack and you here this music or even for just those long tedious journeys.

(although it probably wont be so tedious with the now beautiful scenery.

@ May 11 2006,22:49)]

imagine yourself in fierce firefight or driving tank all guns blazing, it´s almost impossible to make any sense what your friend is trying to say to you on voip.

@ May 11 2006,22:49)]

What i´d like to suggest is that there should be somekind of mute function in the voip which affects both the sender and receiver. I mean that after you hit the speak button, the game should lower the volume levels on all the other sfx coming from the game, -70% or something like that, or perhaps even an adjustable mute level.

That would be a very useful feature indeed! Up to now the only way I knew of dealing with this issue in OFP was to use 2 soundcards: one for the game and the other for the (3rd party) communications system.

VoIP can be something good if it's usefull for gameplay, nothing else.

I don't want one absolutly realistic, with the possibility to ear or not your team mate. Coz if we want to be realistic wich a such VoIP, why not be able to communicate by sign of our hands and by the way how many keys I will have to configure that ? icon_rolleyes.gif

If we will play 20x20 or a coop with 40 players, will be cool that only group leader can speak on two channels (just 2 keys to configure on keyboard). One channel for their own group, and one for coordinate actions with the others group leaders. I would like to use a such VoIP, simple and usefull.

VOIP was coded somewhat bad in OFP. It consumed too much bandwidth imo. That´s why everyone switched to 3rd party tools.

It seems that the system has been reworked for OFP.

What I would definately like to see is to distinguish between radio and non-radio coms:

1. For example you´re in an armoured vehicle, you use onboard coms with headsets -> Sound should be transported with the corresponding quality and "radio-like" sound. A simple real time effect can alter the voice with very little load on engine and comp. Additionally clicks can be implemented.

2. You´re a regular grunt with no personal radio: Sound from VOIP should be tranported directly to the player and use your character as sound emitter. Imagine a walking speaker. This way it would really feel like the voice is coming from your ingame character and if embedded right the other gamers would be able to locate the voices origin and placement just by listening as the player will be the 3D sound emitter.

There should be an automatic switching between radio coms and natural coms whenever you enter corresponding vehicles or use units that are equipped with radios. Special forces of any kind should have a private radio and their coms should be taken to radio while regular grunts should have their voice to keep in contact with their comrades or leaders.

This would be great imo and would add another 10 percent to reality level and fun for players.

Imagine a soldier who´s got wounded and who´s calling for the medic. The medic would be able to actually hear the soldier and determine the wounded guy´s position just by VOIP.

Edit: Typos in the morning... smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Coz if we want to be realistic wich a such VoIP, why not be able to communicate by sign of our hands

Hand commands will most likely be implemented in ArAs.

2nd edit: Maybe radios in general should be more useful as they are with OFP. Units that do have radios should have listed them in their gear section. This way radios could be taken from dead units and as a superplus you could grab a radio from an enemy and listen to their coms.

Now if BIS decided to go authentic with the languages (english for US troops, russian for russian troops) it would be great to listen to the coms of the enemy in the appropriate language. If BIS goes the OFP way there could be an implemented translator that would display the message onscreen in an understandable language. If this feature can be turned off for hardcore gamers people with little knowledge in the corresponding language would be given the captured radio to get a glimpse on the enemies movements. I know this is very detail and has actually little to do with VOIP but I liked the idea and wanted to share it smile_o.gif

I used to play with VOIP in OFP in the beginning but it didn't always work (now know why). But it still rocked just being able to communicate with team, groupmembers, who is with you in a vehicle or just anyone who is close by (don't know if this is also the opposite team in direct speak)

Now on xbox live it also is the same handy feature, but being on xbox their are many kiddies screaming or everyone is talking to much you can't hear the leader and so on... but i don't this can became a big problem on pc, having this sort of community

For me such features in Voip still be good only for coops missions.

For all sort of missions, I still prefer something very simple. Not because I don't want a 'realistic' Voip but just I still thinking, it will be useless.

I know as many of you, I will be in TS with my mates because we don't use an audio coms only for gaming. The roots of a clan is this discussions you have with your clan. And I would prefer to not have too much things to manage in audio game. Maybe I'm leasy or old (or the both)...

And the community of OFP is international. There's not a lot of national league. And I'm not sure that a majority of players are able to speak a enought fluent english. Sure, it can be funny to ear a soldier closed and found funny to not understand what he says...

As I'm in an OFP clan, I wish to play wars on AA. I hope to play big map as C&H in a 20 versus 20 game or more. So in this case I need a audio com as I said before coz what I use at moment as audio coms don't offer this possibility. I don't want to miss it.