Sign in to follow this  
j w

Grenades

I think a grenade that blows up kinda near you should be able to knock you over, not hurting you really, nor killing you,

you just fall down on the ground and then have to get up again.

Shrapnel should be able to kill someone, lets say you're hiding in a house, and a grenade blows up right outside the housewall,

maybe the blast doesn't kill you, but the shrapnel from the concrete wall that was ripped out does.

Frag grenades should throw fragments around, dynamicly, so you can have alot of luck and not getting hit by any fragments, or, you get hit by alot...

How about it?

That's how it should be, i agree. How difficult it would be to implement it, i don't know, but it would be a nice feature.

I think a grenade that blows up kinda near you should be able to knock you over, not hurting you really, nor killing you,

This is a joke, right mate? Grenade exploding near you should tear you to a thousand peices, not 'knock you over' (a man with a one solid blow on the chin can do this tounge2.gif )! In such case an explosion shockwave if nothing else would kill you.

Quote[/b] ]

Shrapnel should be able to kill someone, lets say you're hiding in a house, and a grenade blows up right outside the housewall,

maybe the blast doesn't kill you, but the shrapnel from the concrete wall that was ripped out does.

Now here and

Quote[/b] ]

Frag grenades should throw fragments around, dynamicly, so you can have alot of luck and not getting hit by any fragments, or, you get hit by alot...

here you're more on the money.

This is a joke, right mate? Grenade exploding near you should tear you to a thousand peices, not 'knock you over' (a man with a one solid blow on the chin can do this tounge2.gif )! In such case an explosion shockwave if nothing else would kill you.

Have you seen BHD?

There is a scene when a nade blows a distance away from him and the shockwave blows him over.

Another suggestion:

If you have protective glasses (ex. ESS Ice) you should be protected from shrapnel making your vision lower (blurry vision, total blindness, black lines in your vision etc)

Have you seen BHD?

There is a scene when a nade blows a distance away from him and the shockwave blows him over.

And then what? The dude stands up, shake off the dust, and ride off into the sunset?

BHD, what is it? It is a movie? If it is, and a quote describing the scene from the movie, then this says enough for itself ...

Quite realistic movie.

And he isn't just a meter from the nade, maybe 20 meters... since much of the explosion dig into the ground, only the shockwave hit's him.

(And btw; BHD isn't a US is the best, bla bla bla, US is heroes etc movie, it's very good)

actully, it's not the force of the grenade that kills you, it's the fragments. and BTW that was an RPG and not a grenade. tounge2.gif

I didn't say anything about dying, and I know that is fragments... Duh tounge2.gif

Oh, maybe it was an RPG, then it prolly had some time digging down in the ground b4 going off, making the ground take the blow even better.

Personally I think getting knocked over by a grenade is both a good and bad idea. If the grenade is a good distence away, then yes. But if its very close... then no... not a good idea.

And J W, never go by what happens in a movie... no matter how realistic the movie might seem. He was only a couple yards (not 20 meters) from the explosion (which happens several times in the movie to the same guy btw) and it is highly unlikely he would get up and walk away that many times, if at all. Its Hollywood... no matter how real a movie might be, things like this are still added for effect.

Quote[/b] ]Quite realistic movie.

No. It was not realistic in terms of authenticy, weapon efficency , mission setup and other things. I was pretty dissapointed with the movie for those reasons.

2nd part.

Even shockwave of nades or other exploding device will at least do heavy harm to your lungs, ears and other pressure sensitive bodyparts.

If you are exposed to the shockwave of a grenade you will suffer injuries. If it blows you away, you will be likely severly injured or dead or die of inner bleedings as some of your inner organs will either collapse or literally explode or implode or whatever. If you don´t feel the blast and no shrapnels come flying your way you´re safe.

You can get a feeling for a shockwave in a trench, throwing a nade and ducking. The wave will float over your head and it feels like the air is sucked with the shockwave. Any exposure to the shockwave that would be able to knock you over is an exposure that will injure you.

I liked how grenades worked in OFP1 all you had to do was lay down and you avioded most of the damage. But not if it was right next to you.

I liked how grenades worked in OFP1 all you had to do was lay down and you avioded most of the damage. But not if it was right next to you.

That is an elegant solution and does it for me. All they need to do is add a few disorientation effects. As well as the ability to dive to the ground not the current "take your sweet time" animation... smile_o.gif

The only thing that I don't like about grenades in OFP is that you can't throw them accurately inside buildings. First of all, they explode on impact, second, you can't really aim them (without crosshair) inside a window or a door. I guess there some enhancement would do good.

I'd like to see assorted types of grenades, not just HE and smoke. Flashbangs are useful, especially on house clearing or night ops to blind the enemy. Theyre particularly useful against people using NVG. Phosphorous would also be nice, then you could set fire to tents, small buildings and light vehicles such as jeeps and trucks. They have a nice blast radius and can cause nasty injuries to troops too.

They should also not explode on impact as has been said before. I hate to say it, but BF2 has a good way of throwing grenades, either full throw or right click for setting power and throw. Maybe give cadet mode a marker to show where it will land, that way once you have figured them out, its easier to manage in Veteran mode.

I dont know about you, but I killed myself more than any enemies with OFP's grenade system, I think it needs desperate improvement.

It takes practice and that is a rather good thing,everyone wants everyone simplified too much,like the whining about the command menu being user unfriendly,it just takes practice and you'll get it down in a heart beat,provided your not lazy enough to click 3 buttons and just whine because you have to use your brain to use it. (not talking about anyone in particular)

I'm working on a project with a friend of mine that we kind of came up with while having a smoke and shooting the breeze.

Using a USB touch screen, he has developed a program called touch-buddy which literally lets him program a 'glass cockpit' environment for controls that would normally be assigned to multiple key controls.

I'm putting a profile together for touch buddy and OFP but there are limitations to its use. For example, buttons can only be configured for commands that remain the same. The action menu changes depending on the soldier or group selected and thier proximity to objects.

Other commands such as prone, alert, danger, stealth can all be programmed into buttons to replace the keyboard commands.

Using it takes a little while to get used to but the interface is completely customisable to any user. You can have tabbed pages for various functions (command, movement, combat) and can layout buttons however you want.

Its a slow WIP for me, but my friend is getting a copy of OFP GOTY from me this weekend so that he can try to work some additional function into the idea.

I'm working on a project with a friend of mine that we kind of came up with while having a smoke and shooting the breeze.

Using a USB touch screen, he has developed a program called touch-buddy which literally lets him program a 'glass cockpit' environment for controls that would normally be assigned to multiple key controls.

I'm putting a profile together for touch buddy and OFP but there are limitations to its use. For example, buttons can only be configured for commands that remain the same. The action menu changes depending on the soldier or group selected and thier proximity to objects.

Other commands such as prone, alert, danger, stealth can all be programmed into buttons to replace the keyboard commands.

Using it takes a little while to get used to but the interface is completely customisable to any user. You can have tabbed pages for various functions (command, movement, combat) and can layout buttons however you want.

Its a slow WIP for me, but my friend is getting a copy of OFP GOTY from me this weekend so that he can try to work some additional function into the idea.

Sounds cool, though you should post it in the OFP section of the forum

thats something like the old dashboards ... in the times were PC games still had quality and big boxes and somegames had a sheet for the dashboard that was printed with all essential command and etc ...

I would like to see some improvment in grenades.Grenades that don't exsplode on impact where a nice development in ARMA for ARMA2 i'd like to see this improved further by adding the ability to 'cook' grenades. Possibly just using hold fire button to arm grenade and release fire button to throw.

Quote[/b] ]

In very wet terrain it would be possible to avoid all fragments that disperse from a frag grenade as they dissapate upwards in a funnel, this was commented on heavily during the vietnam and falklands war (one guy hit the dirt in a bog 10m from a grenade and had no injury).

Quote[/b] ]Shrapnel should be able to kill someone, lets say you're hiding in a house, and a grenade blows up right outside the housewall,

Frags are most useful in a CQB environment where the shrapnel would bounce around the room - there is no sense of luck- you would be killed.

Fragments would not pass through the housewall unless it was made of plasterboard, it would not pass through brickwork.

In most circumstances if someone throws a grenade at you, you may have enough time to react or you may not. 90% of the time you would be maimed or fatally wounded, the other 10% of the time would be when the grenade didn't go off or you were shielded by a big rock or brick wall

biggrin_o.gif

Regarding grenades What I would like to see in ArmA2, would be to have a dedicated key command (configurable of course, like the rest of the commands) to directly throw grenades instead of the current system where you must select the grenade as a weapon and then throw it.

I would also like to have the possibility to throw grenades not only in an arc profile (like currently we have) but also by rolling it on the ground like happens in Americas Army. This would vastly improve combat in a CQB environment.

Quote[/b] ]Quite realistic movie.

And he isn't just a meter from the nade, maybe 20 meters... since much of the explosion dig into the ground, only the shockwave hit's him.

(And btw; BHD isn't a US is the best, bla bla bla, US is heroes etc movie, it's very good)

Realistic movie! Hahahaha rofl.gif