Sign in to follow this  
falcons1988

Comparisons between ArmA and BF2

bf2 is a fast action, arcade style game, poorly made by EA for the teenage market and features forcing you to pay for every little addon.

armed assault is like Operation flashpoint. slower, tactical, realistic teamwork orientated warfare.

if you like bunny hopping, nade spamming, or using blackhawks to hover over flags, play bf2.

if your over 17, play armedassault.

biggrin_o.gif

Or told in a non-BF2 bashing manner:

Armed Assault will, like OFP, focus on the life of a soldier. In singleplayer, you will find yourself fighting alongside AI. You have thesame abilities as them, and thesame physical strentgh/health.

Considering you are not (like in games like CoD) walking trough the story at your own pace, you will need to stick with your team, for they can even leave you behind if your "tutting" brings the mission in danger. There is also no need to play a "hero": nowhere will you be forced to fire, or walk in front. Theoreticly, it is possible for the AI to play the mission, and you simply tagging along behind it.

Cooperative play is a major strength of ArmA (and OFP). Just now I was working on a mission wich featured a team of Russian renegades ambushing a finnish convoy. Both teams had some additional hardware, like tripwires, satchel charges, AT launchers, and scoped weapons in vehicles nearby. The convoy could be stopped/resumed at anytime by the finish leader, and the locations where the convoy could be ambushed was "free to pick" by the russian leader over a 4 KM long "route".

Sometimes cooperative play isn't full of action, actually, there are missions in wich you have to remain undetected whilst you move from A to B! but trust me if I tell you that "no fire" doesn't mean "no stress".

Battlefield 2's gameplay focuses almost soley on the online "capture the flag" mode.

OFP's Capture the flag mode can be allot more versatile. The mission maker can remove respawn (that'l uppen your carefullness) , add three or four teams, make it into "capture the vehicle", or anything!

And then we also have Capture the Island, best described as "C&C from first person", in wich two teams fight each other (and optionally some AI controlled guilerra's). Teach team consists of a team of officers (building infantry/vehicles/air units and capture cities) and a commander "Commander" (officer duties + building the base and maintaining defence).

Dunno what else to add really... ask anything specific smile_o.gif .

EDIT: Here is a picture of another mission I made: You were a lone crash survivor, and had to try and survive long enough for a helicopter to pick you up (ofcourse if the helicopter was shot down your mission was over, so you'd try to take out as much "seekers" as possible. The other team consisted of 10> men, a hind (that had to be refueled every five minutes, so it could not be used to "follow" the pilot), some armoured vehicles, and a supply depot/"seeker spawn" (down the dirtroad at the bottom-left). I hope this image illustrates the freedom you have. Ofcourse you could leave the blue area, however, a marker would appear at your EXACT location, something few people chose for.

Currently I am thinking about ripping out the 3453456 addons it required and release it, together with the Ambush mission smile_o.gif .

Let me just add that in BF2 there is no one-shot-kills (not that i saw, and i played BF2 MP demo), so gameplay is very wild and fast, while in ArmA and OFP you have to be way more carefull, because it usually takes only one bullet to kill you, thus making gameplay slow(er). Come to think of it, there's really no similarity between BF2 and ArmA, well they both have soldiers and tanks etc., but are totally different, i think this is actually a good thing.

Bf2 - Traditional quake like FPS with vehicles and a modern frame.

ArmA - Tactical FPS - that means you die if you get hit, no hitpoints. Tries to be realistic. Vast open terrain, unlimited in size but Sahrani will be "only" 400 km^2, that means about 250 square miles of terrain where you can walk anywhere. No moving while reloading so you have to plan on how and where you will reload, doing so on the open field gets you shot.

Both communities have annoying teamkilling kids and l33t dudes, but OFP has a very vivid modding community and is liked globally both by military enthusiast and real soldiers.

To illustrate the realism possibilities of OFP; it was the predeccesor of VBS1, VBS1 or Virtual Battle Space 1 is actually in use for training tactics and manouvers by the United States Army and various other western armies, like Swedens Army for example.

Some people get confused about ArmAs relation to OFP, they think it is an unofficial OFP2 (since codemasters retains the rights to the name OFP), but infact ArmA - if anything - is an OFP 1.5, not a real sequel that is game 2.

the latest vidio footage defo looks like bf2 when soilder holds the gun i think. but ofp overtones shine through

ArmA - Tactical FPS - that means you die if you get hit, no hitpoints.

Liar, OFP does have hitpoints!

Get shot in the arm and you can forget about hitting anything further then 50 meters, get shot in the leg, and you'll be crawling instead of walking wink_o.gif .

Also, there are addons wich simulate headshots, passing out, bleeding to death (unless you "first aid" yourself), and more.

I play BF2 and it's very funny, but it's obviously an arcade game, on public servers u can find all types of people, the ones who play in a "realistic" way, following the orders of commander and/or squad leader and also stupids ones camping on base or killing their own team.If you are in a clan the style is very different, coordinated game, several squads and a good commander is basic to win the games

The gameplay style is changing on every patch. The first version had bunny hopping, spec ops throw the c4 like pizzas smile_o.gif, lots of bugs, etc... Now the bunny hopping and the pizzas have ended, also the roles have more accurated weapons, support is very usefull to cover, the assaults for assault, and the spec ops to infiltrate smile_o.gif.

The only bad thing i can see is this one, let me explain, on the game you can create squads, when you die, if u leave your squad and enter in other one, and only if the squad leader is alive, you can respawn where the squad leader is, this means that if one soldier infiltrates on the enemy base, you can respaw with him, and this is not very "realistic" smile_o.gif, but on the next patch this feature will be disabled smile_o.gif

About the community they have a big and powerfull modding one, mods like forgotten hope or Eve of Destruction will convert the arcade style in a realistic one, the first one is on the ww2 and the other one take place in vietnam.

In conclusion, i play BF2 waiting for ArmA, and for me is very funny, but cannot be compared with the flashpoint style wink_o.gif

u play bf2 shame on you id rather go mow my patchy lawn hehehe

Get shot in the arm and you can forget about hitting anything further then 50 meters, get shot in the leg, and you'll be crawling instead of walking  wink_o.gif .

Also, there are addons wich simulate headshots, passing out, bleeding to death (unless you "first aid" yourself), and more.

I meant that OFP has no hitpoint counter, or anything indicating how injured you are, except the third person view where you can see where you got hit.

And what you mean are damage zones, not hitpoints.

Lets see..what can I say..bf2 as compared to Armed Assault...hmm...in terms of gameplay,yes,bf2 is very arcadic,you can empty a clip and run,and be able to reload without problem while running,you can go from standing to prone in one second while shooting the whole time.

bf2 Vehicles- Vehicles generally only need one person to fully operate it,an apc or tank requires one person,to driver and gun.

Armed Assault/OFP Vehicles- You either drive,gun or command,you can do both in OFP however your options there are limited,its most like a backup thing,you can fire the cannon but you cannot move it at all,not up,not down,not left nor right. Tanks in real life generally seat four,the commander,loader,driver and gunner,but I can see why there would be no loader. Unless its possible to add a weapon for the loader then who would want to do it? Not to mention if "uncooperative" people got in and never reloaded.

bf2 helicopters- An interesting fly controlling,if you get bored on a map or feel bold you can take the helicopters for a spin,literally,I like the ability to do the loops and backflips and so on,and it requires two people to work at maximum. The pilot controls the helicopter (duh) and uses the rockets,generally 8 with 3 batches (wtf?) and the gunner controls the gun and TV missiles,pretty much these can destroy anything. However even though icons show differently,ever model is an AGM-114 Hellfire. There is the Z-10,the AH-1Z and Mi-28,Z-10 and AH-1Z are pretty much the same,thing and have a weaker cannon while the Mi-28 has the uber gun of doom... And dont bother with special forces,I'v seen their stuff and they really slacked off on them.

OFP- Similar..helicopter control is more limited,you cannot spin or anything,unless of course you tilt the helicopter nose all the way down and go into the (usually) "Unrecoverable Nose Dive of Doom" OFP/AA generally shows you the exact amount of weapons you have,there is no 'second batch' unless you rearm somewhere.

MAP

bf2- I don't really know why they put this here..80% of the time your "team mates" ignore it,if they running to a vehicle and so are you,and its a 2-5 seater,they'll generally leave you behind even if your 1 step away. And don't bother radioing them,5 radios of "Hey I need a ride!" won't help you. In some case scenario's they will even TK you simply to get their hands on the vehicle.

OFP/AA- I haven't been on OFP online much lately,mostly due to the no JIP issu,so I couldn't say how things work,I only know what I'v seen and I'v seen more teamwork in OFP

teamwork con.

bf2- If you need repairs,a medic or ammo,dont bother radioing,I have more than once occasion walked up to "supply kit soldiers" (ammo providers) and radioed 5+ times, "I need ammo". Well they did nothing,so I started to follow them,while radioing every now and then,still nothing,pop off a shot to get their attention,nope. The point is...generally people are out for their own well being,they could care less about you and "teamwork" is missed in this concept

I wouldn't quite say bf2 is more geared to the teenage group...more so to the 8 year olds+,one thing that distinguishes bf2 and OFP/AA is one simple thing,blood,in OFP if you shoot a guy you see some blood,people have even gone far enough to make mods of exploding bodies for OFP. And to be honest this simply improves the reaslim and I for one support it. in bf2 however,you pop off shots anyhere,you won't see anything,maybe the guy jerking a bit but thats about it.

Don't get me wrong,bf2 does have a few good players that are honest and teamwork compatible,but the vast majority of it is not.

Another thing is the 'ptp" sorta...you can make a lan server,you can practice,you MUST pay for an online server however,and there is no campaign,no storyline whatsoever.

bf2 focuses on multiplayer,OFP/AA focuses on both,if OFP didn't have a campaign do you think it would be as popular as it is in the community?

Guest Ti0n3r
Quote[/b] ] -=UOE.Txalo=- on April 30 2006,13:24]

Ditto smile_o.gif

Get shot in the arm and you can forget about hitting anything further then 50 meters, get shot in the leg, and you'll be crawling instead of walking wink_o.gif .

I meant that OFP has no hitpoint counter, or anything indicating how injured you are, except the third person view where you can see where you got hit.

this is not true, OFP does have a "health bar", but in original unmodified OFP it isn't displayed on screen.

Check your resource.cpp for unitInfo* classes and you will see.

It's easy to enable this, and also few other things (like displaying the fuel amount in your current vehicle, etc.)

here are some screnshots:

ofp_health1, 85 Kb

ofp_health2, 78 Kb

ofp_health3, 76 Kb

by the way, OFP is offering many different gametypes, not only the casual CTF, C&H, SC, DM, TDM, COOP, CTI, etc.

Here is an example of a "Cops & robbers" game: Psycho Slayer - just read the features.

The main difference between OFP and BF2 (and not only BF2, but almost all other games) is, that OFP allows you to develop your own game types - the CTI is the best example, or you can play OFP chess :-)) (i made it long ago, maybe you can still find it somewhere).

EDIT: ooops, by OFP i meant Armed Assault smile_o.gif

You'd be much better off comparing tribes or UT2004 with BF2 rather than OFP/ArmA.. yay.gif

I have been paying close attention.  While BF2 had some great flash to it, Armed Assault just looks much more clean and clear.  The soldiers are also a major difference 3D model wise, and texture wise (realism too).  Armed Assault uses photo realistic textures from what I have seen, and there are too many game developers out there who don't, when they really should.  So you can expect things to look better while running through a town with buildings, watching a convoy drive by, or flying a helicopter overhead.

The only visual flaw I can possibly see in Armed Assault compared to BF2, is the animations.  From the videos I have seen, movement, reloading, etc still looks a bit twitchy and robotic.  While BF2 has a more water stream animation system to it.

But with such a small visual flaw comes something that makes up for it, tons and tons of animations that make ArmA units more lifelike than ever compared to BF2.

But I know how this community is. Graphics are nice to have, but really the substance of Armed Assault is what will top others

OFP AND BF2 ARE TOTALY DIFFERENT GAMES

Simple as that.. Battlefield 2 is an first-person-shooter, set in a fictious, but inspired by real place, enviroment. It has real weapons, that aren't designed to be perfect recreations, or accruate for that matter.

It's designed for entirely for "fun", not as a simulation, it's designed to be used for clan-matches online (Thus all the stat-tracking stuff)

OFP is designed as a realistic, much more free-formed game, and to be mod-ed...

WHY do people keep comparing these games? Yeh, their both shooters, thats where similaritys stop.. And about the players, the second posts "if your over 17 play Flashpoint" comment is complete cr*p, lots of "older" people play BF2, lots of younger people play OFP.. Some people enjoy BF2, some people prefer games like, some poeple might like both..

*Sigh* *Takes of ranting hat*

- Ben

BF2 - Primarily multi-player with limited single player mode (essentially multiplayer with bots on smaller sized maps). Sold a bucket load of copies and is good for a quick blast or if you want instant action.

OFP/ArmA - Strong multiplayer with equally strong single player single missions and campaigns.

I have, play, and thoroughly enjoy both games.

Both games have very similar setups. Large terrain, variety of vehicles, etc.

Basically this is what it is:

Armed Assault focuses on realism and strategy for the most part.

Battlefield focuses on crazy fun and excitement.

It does not make one game better than the other...I enjoy them both. And because you play battlefield does not make you dirty kid who shouts OMFG 1M 1337 LOL!!!! as much of this community (immaturely) often accuses. icon_rolleyes.gif

by the way, OFP is offering many different gametypes, not only the casual CTF, C&H, SC, DM, TDM, COOP, CTI, etc.

Here is an example of a "Cops & robbers" game: Psycho Slayer - just read the features.

I'm downloading it right now biggrin_o.gif

Both games have very similar setups. Large terrain, variety of vehicles, etc.

Basically this is what it is:

Armed Assault focuses on realism and strategy for the most part.

Battlefield focuses on crazy fun and excitement.

Well just wanted to say that the differences are much bigger then you think:

-Arma has a huge terrain, not like BF. the maps of BF still end Arma has an entire island of 400kmË›...

This difference is just a key to a big difference between the 2 games as it gives you the option to play more different types of missions, and makes it more real aswell, as you can go to some place, and afterwards return to a base.

Also you can have crazy fun and excitement in OFP aswell, why would that only be in BF...

I would describe BF as arcade and OFP as simulation(with option to do arcade-stuff).

bf2 is a fast action, arcade style game, poorly made by EA for the teenage market and features forcing you to pay for every little addon.

armed assault is like Operation flashpoint. slower, tactical, realistic teamwork orientated warfare.

if you like bunny hopping, nade spamming, or using blackhawks to hover over flags, play bf2.

if your over 17, play armedassault.

biggrin_o.gif

hooah to that brother....

Just like a few people said. There both completely different games. Ones a action FPS, the others a Sim (like a the numerous flight sims, tank sims, ect..)

Plus OFP has a LOT of variety in MP and SP missions due to the fact it has an extreamly flexible, yet easy to use built in mission editor and even more flexible engine. Meaning if you get bored of playing C&H or CTF you can just as easily find a server playing coop, or even somthing completely out the norm.

For example iv just come back from playing a mission called 'Crime City'. where players play either a civilian or police. And can rob banks, sell drugs, become pimp, buy cars, planes, boats, guns, role play, and hundreds of other things. Makes a nice change from the usuall death and destruction.

WTH IS THIS THRED ALL ABOUT.. OMG IN ALL THESE YEARS..

id never thought the day would come...

Its simple really, one is a military simulation and the other is a fps/rpg thingy ma bob that no one cares about wink_o.gif

thats how i sum it up anyways confused_o.gif

OFP AND BF2 ARE TOTALY DIFFERENT GAMES

Simple as that.. Battlefield 2 is an first-person-shooter, set in a fictious, but inspired by real place, enviroment. It has real weapons, that aren't designed to be perfect recreations, or accruate for that matter.

It's designed for entirely for "fun", not as a simulation, it's designed to be used for clan-matches online (Thus all the stat-tracking stuff)

OFP is designed as a realistic, much more free-formed game, and to be mod-ed...

WHY do people keep comparing these games? Yeh, their both shooters, thats where similaritys stop.. And about the players, the second posts "if your over 17 play Flashpoint" comment is complete cr*p, lots of "older" people play BF2, lots of younger people play OFP.. Some people enjoy BF2, some people prefer games like, some poeple might like both..

*Sigh* *Takes of ranting hat*

- Ben

We are talking about the visuals, any games visuals can be compared reguardless of genre.

I wouldn't go as far as calling ArmA/OFP a simulator but it is pretty damn realistic compared to any other game. One feature I like the most is that bullets actually fly and are effected by gravity.